PDA

View Full Version : Hendry out as Cubs GM

bridgeportcopper
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Just broken on The Score per David Kaplan's twitter....will be announced later today!

MARTINMVP
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Just broken on The Score per David Kaplan's twitter....will be announced later today!

A good day.

chisoxjtrain
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Just heard that on The Score as well.

Cangelosi CF
08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
way overdue for Cubdom. meantime, why does Crane Kenney still have a job? probably for the same reasons Greg Walker is still employed :angry:

yazz32
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1261974905/Albert_pujols_Cubs_jersey_normal.jpg
thekapman (http://twitter.com/#!/thekapman) David Kaplan Exclusive: Jim Hendry out as Cubs GM. Announcement to come later.
More to come.

https://twitter.com/#!/thekapman/status/104570551196057600 (https://twitter.com/#!/thekapman/status/104570551196057600)

Chez
08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
I can see Phil Rogers prediction of Rick Hahn as the next Cubs GM coming true.

SOXPHILE
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Too bad. Was hoping he would stay there for years and years and years.

mrfourni
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
A good day.

For the Cubs, maybe. They might just hire someone who is competent.

doublem23
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I can see Phil Rogers prediction of Rick Hahn as the next Cubs GM coming true.

Wouldn't blame him if he made the move; Hahn was raised a Cub fan and I'd bet it's his dream job. Plus he wouldn't have to try and sell his house in this market.

VMSNS
08-19-2011, 10:35 AM
This is long overdue. Frankly, it's shocking that Ricketts didn't can him when he took over last season. Today is a great day if you're a Cub fan.

Hell...I hate the Cubs and even I feel pretty happy about this. It's good to know that this guy finally got what he deserves.

SoxSpeed22
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Good for them. Whoever else comes in has got a big mess to work with, but at least it won't be Hendry.

WhiffleBall
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Yet this was in the trib today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0819-cubs-chicago--20110819,0,605834.story

soltrain21
08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1261974905/Albert_pujols_Cubs_jersey_normal.jpg
thekapman (http://twitter.com/#!/thekapman) David Kaplan Exclusive: Jim Hendry out as Cubs GM. Announcement to come later.
More to come.

https://twitter.com/#!/thekapman/status/104570551196057600 (https://twitter.com/#!/thekapman/status/104570551196057600)

Why does that ****ing moron "sports reporter" have a Twitter picture of a Cubs Pujols jersey?

What an idiot.

pythons007
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Why does that ****ing moron "sports reporter" have a Twitter picture of a Cubs Pujols jersey?

What an idiot.

Because he's an asshat

SOXPHILE
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Hopefully this isn't a complete house cleaning, and that fanboy owner keeps jackasses like Crane Kenney around, brings Zambrano and Ramirez back, and generally continues to **** things up over there for the next 10+ years.

BELIEVE ! IT'S GONNA HAPPEN ! THIS IS THE YEAR !

TheOldRoman
08-19-2011, 10:52 AM
This blows. I was hoping the Cubs would have offered Hendry the same lifetime contract that the Sox gave Walker. There is a chance (however remote, considering how horribly incompetant the Ricketts family is) that they might hire a good GM and turn it around.

soxinem1
08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
What happened to the extension he was supposed to get?

#1swisher
08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
CSN press conference

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/live_cubs

Hendry was told by Tom Rickets, on July 22, that he wasn't being brought back.

doublem23
08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
]
Hendry was told by Tom Rickets, on July 22, that he wasn't being brought back.

Well this reveals the Cubs' inexplicable reason for hoarding all their aging, veteran players at the trade deadline. Wow, even when Ricketts gets something right, he gets it wrong.

PalehosePlanet
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Ricketts cut him loose just in time, before he gave Reed Johnson a 3/15 deal with an NTC!

DirtySox
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Good for the Cubs. Long overdue.

PatK
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
LOL

The Cubs can't even fire a GM without ****ing it up

SI1020
08-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Team Ricketts got off to a real bad start, appearing like fawning trust babies in over their collective heads. However they come from a family that built up a mega business from scratch. This is a good move for the Cubs, and I'd wait and see before I declare this ownership a failure.

Rocky Soprano
08-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Ozzie just tweeted that he doesn't understand why some are happy that someone lost his job.

I don't think anyone is happy that someone lost his job, persay.
People are happy that someone that is incompetent at his job will be replaced. Fans want to see better results.

DirtySox
08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I really hope the Sox retain/promote Hahn.

#1swisher
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Ozzie just tweeted that he doesn't understand why some are happy that someone lost his job.

I don't think anyone is happy that someone lost his job, persay.
People are happy that someone that is incompetent at his job will be replaced. Fans want to see better results.

@scottmerkin

"Hendry: "I don't think there's a finer owner in professional sports than
Jerry (Reinsdorf)." White Sox have much respect for Hendry also~

*look out Ozzie*

#1swisher
08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Doug Padilla - Possible candidates to lead the Cubs

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7038/possible-candidates-to-lead-the-cubs

doublem23
08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I really hope the Sox retain/promote Hahn.

Doug Padilla - Possible candidates to lead the Cubs

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/7038/possible-candidates-to-lead-the-cubs

This **** cracks me up. So Hahn, as ESPN notes "oversees all aspects of baseball operations," and plays a role in "roster composition, acquisitions, and talent evaluation" with the Sox.

Isn't everyone here upset with the baseball operations, roster composition, acquisitions, and talent evaluation of this organization? Aren't we pissed at the Sox's organizational nepotism? I'm not saying Hahn is a bad choice for GM, but I just think it's silly that people are pining for a fresh start with this organization and the guy they want to run it is a major player in its current operations. This is roughly the equivalent of saying that the Sox on-field coaching staff is clueless, we need to clear them out and start fresh, and we should hire Joey Cora to replace Ozzie.

Fenway
08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Do not rule out these 2 who BOTH are reported unhappy with Hank Steinbrenner

http://media.nj.com/yankees_main/photo/brian-cashman-joe-girardi-yankees-d3c3b6ddd8931701_large.jpg

doublem23
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Do not rule out these 2 who BOTH are reported unhappy with Hank Steinbrenner

Now that I would love to see... Baseball is actually challenging when you don't have a bottomless supply of money.

thomas35forever
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Funny that this was in the Daily Herald this morning:
http://dailyherald.com/article/20110818/sports/708189824/

And suddenly, this happens. A good idea and one that was long overdue. However, I can't believe that he was actually fired before the trade deadline and they waited until now to enforce it. I agree with the poster who said the Cubs were wrong even when they were right.

Fenway
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Now that I would love to see... Baseball is actually challenging when you don't have a bottomless supply of money.

Cashman has developed a good farm system - and I think he would like the challenge of having a real budget.

Both of them are in a win everything or be gone mode....

TheOldRoman
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
This **** cracks me up. So Hahn, as ESPN notes "oversees all aspects of baseball operations," and plays a role in "roster composition, acquisitions, and talent evaluation" with the Sox.

Isn't everyone here upset with the baseball operations, roster composition, acquisitions, and talent evaluation of this organization? Aren't we pissed at the Sox's organizational nepotism? I'm not saying Hahn is a bad choice for GM, but I just think it's silly that people are pining for a fresh start with this organization and the guy they want to run it is a major player in its current operations.I think most of the infatuation with Hahn is that he is a big stathead. They hope he can be like Theo Epstein and use his stat-powers to sign guys to $150 mil contracts and get his buddies to trade a superstar 1B for middling prospects.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Cashman has developed a good farm system - and I think he would like the challenge of having a real budget.

Both of them are in a win everything or be gone mode....Well, if that's true they are gone. The garbage in their rotation can be passable in the regular season and can beffudle a Greg Walker-coached team, but come playoff time they are going to be hard-pressed to win any game Captain Cholesterol doesn't pitch.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I fail to understand what intrinsic qualities make the Cubs a "premier" MLB organization to the extent that they always are mentioned as possible destinations for the top free agents, managers, and front office people.

Their park remains a cumbling rat-infested fleatrap second in its desperate need of renovations only to its major league roster and minor league system.

Does this widely-accepted presumption of entitlement and superiority linger only because of the Tribune Company Kool-Aid hangover?

doublem23
08-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Oh please, the Yankees have had a great farm system way back to the days of Ricky Ledee and since then I've heard national minor league experts gush all over guys like D'Angelo Jimenez, Phil Hughes, Dioner Navarro, etc.

I'm sure he would enjoy the challenge of a real budget until he realized that means you just can't cherry pick the best players on free agency every year and have to have things like "strategy" and "planning."

asindc
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I think most of the infatuation with Hahn is that he is a big stathead. They hope he can be like Theo Epstein and use his stat-powers to sign guys to $150 mil contracts and get his buddies to trade a superstar 1B for middling prospects.

I wonder what sabermetric projections he used to swing that deal. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I think most of the infatuation with Hahn is that he is a big stathead. They hope he can be like Theo Epstein and use his stat-powers to sign guys to $150 mil contracts and get his buddies to trade a superstar 1B for middling prospects.

Dunn to the Cubs for middling prospects?

SOXPHILE
08-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Fanboy Ricketts said he wants someone who is familiar with the history and tradition of the Cubs. (He hands out small booklets to the players in spring training that goes over all of this rich history )
I think he's got his guy all lined up already..........

:woo-woo

SI1020
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Fanboy Ricketts said he wants someone who is familiar with the history and tradition of the Cubs. (He hands out small booklets to the players in spring training that goes over all of this rich history )
I think he's got his guy all lined up already..........

:woo-woo
I try to give them the benefit of the doubt but stuff like this makes you wonder.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-cubs-search-could-be-short-hahn-is-right-man-20110819,0,624748.story

Lip

TheOldRoman
08-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Fanboy Ricketts said he wants someone who is familiar with the history and tradition of the Cubs.Astonishing. He is out and out saying that he wants someone well versed in losing. What traditions are it he wants the new GM to understand? Thowing fake balls onto the field after opponents' homers? Throwing garbage onto the field after perceived bad calls (or when your closer gives up a homer)? Throwing racial slurs at your own players? Throwing temper tantrums when you miss a flyball down the LF line? Throwing Bartman under the bus? Throwing out the tired argument that you are better because your attendance is higher? If you ask me, they should be throwing those traditions away.

SOXPHILE
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Astonishing. He is out and out saying that he wants someone well versed in losing. What traditions are it he wants the new GM to understand? Thowing fake balls onto the field after opponents' homers? Throwing garbage onto the field after perceived bad calls (or when your closer gives up a homer)? Throwing racial slurs at your own players? Throwing temper tantrums when you miss a flyball down the LF line? Throwing Bartman under the bus? Throwing out the tired argument that you are better because your attendance is higher? If you ask me, they should be throwing those traditions away.

All of that, plus, the "Cubs Tradition", or "Cubs Culture" of the last 25+ years is a mostly losing team, playing in a place that is Marte Gras North, where most of the people in attendance have only a passing, casual interest in the game. Yeah Rickets. Great idea. Educate your young draft picks on the wonderful history of your team which is about to "celebrate" the 103rd anniversary of it's last winning World Series, the 66th anniversary of it's last World Series appearance, and who has only finished over .500 18 times in the 66 seasons since that last series appearance. Oh, don't forget, they play in what is now an old, decrepid ballpark. But that makes it historic ! I can hear what these young players are thinking now: "Yes, please ! Tell me more ! Sounds exciting !" So, in Fanboy's mind, getting a GM, a manager, and players that are good or know what they are doing, important. Educating them on the rich, historic traditon of the Cubs, and what it means to be a part of them ? VERY IMPORTANT.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Did they put the "college of coaches" in the booklet?

:D:

Lip

veeter
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm really starting to loathe Ozzie more and more. His "I won't bash members of the good old boy network" is such chicken ****. He has no edge, balls, guts, ability or anything of interest anymore. Ozzie please leave.

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Did they put the "college of coaches" in the booklet?

:D:

Lip

:tiphat::tiphat::roflmao::roflmao:

Brewski
08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
All of that, plus, the "Cubs Tradition", or "Cubs Culture" of the last 25+ years is a mostly losing team, playing in a place that is Marte Gras North, where most of the people in attendance have only a passing, casual interest in the game. Yeah Rickets. Great idea. Educate your young draft picks on the wonderful history of your team which is about to "celebrate" the 103rd anniversary of it's last winning World Series, the 66th anniversary of it's last World Series appearance, and who has only finished over .500 18 times in the 66 seasons since that last series appearance. Oh, don't forget, they play in what is now an old, decrepid ballpark. But that makes it historic ! I can hear what these young players are thinking now: "Yes, please ! Tell me more ! Sounds exciting !" So, in Fanboy's mind, getting a GM, a manager, and players that are good or know what they are doing, important. Educating them on the rich, historic traditon of the Cubs, and what it means to be a part of them ? VERY IMPORTANT.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/D%C3%A1maso_Mart%C3%A9_2010.jpg/200px-D%C3%A1maso_Mart%C3%A9_2010.jpg

I am not fat!

TDog
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I can remember when this guy was a genius.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 06:34 PM
If the Cubs were to contact Hahn and for whatever reason he turns them down you might suspect that he knows something about this off season and Kenny's potential future.

If he is contacted, interviews and accepts, I suspect that means Kenny isn't going anywhere. I don't think JR at his age has the stomach to go through a process of hiring a G.M. and potentially a field manager.

Lip

tstrike2000
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Was only a matter of time.

Hitmen77
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Ozzie and Kenny "endorse" Hahn for the Cubs job:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-williams-guillen-endorse-hahns-candidacy-for-cubs-gm-job-20110819,0,3500409.story

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Can we endorse Ozzie for the Marlins job? Would it help?

Just askin'

Lip

Hitmen77
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Tonight on WGN News when they led off with the Hendry firing, their news story caption said "He Gone!" :tongue:

I just found it funny that they used a Sox/Hawk-ism for this big Cubs story.

Just askin'

Lip

LOL. I think some posters would personally drive Ozzie to the airport.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2011, 02:55 AM

Just askin'

Lip

Only if Kenny takes a job with the Raiders.

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Tonight on WGN News when they led off with the Hendry firing, their news story caption said "He Gone!" :tongue:

I just found it funny that they used a Sox/Hawk-ism for this big Cubs story.

LOL. I think some posters would personally drive Ozzie to the airport.

I would drive him all the way to Florida!

Fenway
08-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Curious

The Sun Times website doesn't mention who the author of this column is

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/7164989-419/jim-hendry-shouldnt-be-only-casualty-when-cubs-clean-house.html

It does seem to fit Cowley's writing style

g0g0
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
It was a beautiful thing to see go down. :D:

But now the bigger question is do they hire someone who is competent, or do the Cubbies get stuck with another boob.

DickAllen72
08-20-2011, 11:10 AM

But now the bigger question is do they hire someone who is competent, or do the Cubbies get stuck with another boob.
Rick Hahn. Time will tell if he's the former or the latter but I wouldn't expect much from him.

GlassSox
08-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Be sure to take ear plugs :redneck

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd prefer JR had the balls to implement real change- fire KW and OG- promote Hahn- and get on with things.

The idea of KW/OG + Dunn/Rios/Peavy ($55M), etc. for 2012 is not exciting to me- good luck to Brooks and the sales/marketing team- "We're Still All In and Doubling Down!"

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Nothing against Rick but is that "real" change...simply promoting from within?

If I had my druthers, I bring in folks not tied to the organization in anyway. Fresh eyes, fresh ideas.

Lip

#1swisher
08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Stone has his resume ready.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/19/stone-open-to-other-baseball-jobs-just-not-cubs-gm-job/

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Steve comes across as cold and arrogant to many and I can understand why but he's also got an incredibly sharp baseball mind, knows the game, knows what it takes.

I wish the Sox would utilize him more than just as a color commentator. If they could make the stupid decision to make Hawk the G.M. they could do worse than ask for Stone's advice this off season if they are serious in shaking things up.

Lip

DickAllen72
08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Steve comes across as cold and arrogant to many and I can understand why but he's also got an incredibly sharp baseball mind, knows the game, knows what it takes.

I wish the Sox would utilize him more than just as a color commentator. If they could make the stupid decision to make Hawk the G.M. they could do worse than ask for Stone's advice this off season if they are serious in shaking things up.

Lip
Director of Player Personnel?

WhiteSoxOnly
08-20-2011, 09:31 PM

It's the Cubs so bet on a boob.

Viva Medias B's
08-20-2011, 10:31 PM
It's the Cubs so bet on a boob.

:dumbash

ComiskeyBrewer
08-21-2011, 01:44 AM
:dumbash

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEW-JEQ0LoCG64OST2zQLBOeC9YG189-hSFE0x1lawdKk-yuR9yQ

"Gord is too important to us here in Milwaukee. He's the only guy here who knows where to get that Mustache cream I like."

SBSoxFan
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Be sure to take ear plugs :redneck

I'd drive him too, but for different reasons. Can you imagine what an experience it would be spending 14 hours in a car with Ozzie? :wired::popcorn:

russ99
08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd prefer JR had the balls to implement real change- fire KW and OG- promote Hahn- and get on with things.

The idea of KW/OG + Dunn/Rios/Peavy ($55M), etc. for 2012 is not exciting to me- good luck to Brooks and the sales/marketing team- "We're Still All In and Doubling Down!"

I'm convinced that the kind of change you're looking for will only come when there's a change at the very top. Replacing Kenny with Hahn who has the same philosophy and is an even bigger yes man won't make a difference.

Hahn grew up a Cubs fan, which to me is a stupid reason for the Cubs to rank him high on their candidates list, supposedly above Cashman and Friedman (who's rumored to get the Exec VP power he wants under Jim Crane in Houston.)

But I'd suspect as much coming from Ricketts. Hahn is a good assistant, but there's a reason he's been passed up for the GM jobs he's been interviewed for up to now.

doublem23
08-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Stone has his resume ready.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/19/stone-open-to-other-baseball-jobs-just-not-cubs-gm-job/

Don't blame him, if I had to sit next to Hawk Harrelson 162 times per year, I would have already filled out an application at Home Depot