PDA

View Full Version : What seperates Mags from superstardom

MattSharp
07-13-2002, 01:42 PM
I think Mags is gonna have to improve his clutch hitting if he is ever gonna be a Superstar. He grounded out on the first pitch last night with runners on. I mean really, he is suppose to be our star and he can't come through when we need him. Not to sound pessimistic but 2000 was a fluke, this team is still mediocre. Until they replace their management and coaching staff none of these players with ever improve.

Garrison
07-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Great comments. I notice that myself. Whenever it comes time for a clutch hit, Maggs fans on it. He can create runs early on in games and in non-clutch situations. He's still a star, but he needs to get that key hit now and again to catapult him into super-
stardom.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2002, 04:15 PM
I know what you mean. Even Frank is a better clutch hitter than Maggs. Case and point: the Metredome series vs. Minnesota in June. Frank comes up in the ninth with the bases loaded and two outs. He smokes the ball into left for an RBI single. Maggs follows him and promptly pops the ball up to short.

I like Maggs. He is five-tool player. He keeps to himself and does his job. He never complains about anything, and seems to truly appriciate being in the Major Leagues. Having said that, I don't think he will improve until he learns to produce near the ends of games. What does it matter if he drives in three runs, but all of them came in the first inning.

Vsahajpal
07-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Garrison
Great comments. I notice that myself. Whenever it comes time for a clutch hit, Maggs fans on it. He can create runs early on in games and in non-clutch situations. He's still a star, but he needs to get that key hit now and again to catapult him into super-
stardom.

lol, now and again?

He's batting .280 with a .960 OPS close & late

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5889

Superstar Jason Giambi is hitting .222 with a .851 OPS close & late

Superstar Alex Rodriguez is batting .204 with a .738 OPS, close & late.

Superstar Sammy Sosa is batting .195 with a .785 OPS, close & late.

Konerko, while batting .333, has a .783 OPS close & late.

Jerry_Manuel
07-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Situations where he doesn't come through, stand out more than when he does.

kermittheefrog
07-13-2002, 04:44 PM
What really separates Maggs from true superstardom is about 10 homers and 20 walks a year.

Vsahajpal
07-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What really separates Maggs from true superstardom is about 10 homers and 20 walks a year.

I agree.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

And steroids, of course.

:shammy

"You said it, man! I'm the only real superstar in Chicago."

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I think Mags is gonna have to improve his clutch hitting if he is ever gonna be a Superstar. He grounded out on the first pitch last night with runners on. I mean really, he is suppose to be our star and he can't come through when we need him. Not to sound pessimistic but 2000 was a fluke, this team is still mediocre. Until they replace their management and coaching staff none of these players with ever improve.

It would help if he was on a real team.