PDA

View Full Version : The Real Story Of The "Sox Shorts"

Lip Man 1
08-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Worn for three games only, August 8, 21 and 22nd 1976.

http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/thewhitesoxshorts.htm

Lip

34 Inch Stick
08-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I was too young for it to remember. I do remember the collared shirts and I liked them

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Funny that you'd post this today. Twin Cities radio personality and former sportwriter Joe Soucheray was talking about 1976 on his radio show yesterday. He said he remembered the Sox wearing the shorts in old Met Stadium, and how bad they looked.

I called him up and told him that he "remembered" something that didn't happen, because the Sox never wore them on the road, and never wore them against the Twins. Before I called I looked up those exact dates so I could give him the facts to back it up. The 8th was against the Royals, the 21st and 22nd against the Orioles.

WisSoxFan
08-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Funny that you'd post this today. Twin Cities radio personality and former sportwriter Joe Soucheray was talking about 1976 on his radio show yesterday. He said he remembered the Sox wearing the shorts in old Met Stadium, and how bad they looked.

I called him up and told him that he "remembered" something that didn't happen, because the Sox never wore them on the road, and never wore them against the Twins. Before I called I looked up those exact dates so I could give him the facts to back it up. The 8th was against the Royals, the 21st and 22nd against the Orioles.

Out of curiosity how did he respond?

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Out of curiosity how did he respond?Very simply "I stand corrected." I didn't have a radio on in the house, so I didn't hear what he said after I hung up. I had heard the comment in my car on the way home from work, made the call after I got home.

thechico
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Good read. I was too young to remember them, but now the details are down for all to see.

KenBerryGrab
08-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I know it's a personal recollection, but that is one of the worst-punctuated things I have read in a long while.

TommyJohn
08-19-2011, 09:04 PM

That's very similar to a wise crack by the terminally unfunny Bob Costas-he has joked on more than one occasion about seeing Wilbur Wood in shorts. Quite a rib tickler-except that Wood was injured on May 9th of that year and was out for the season. He wasn't present for any of the shorts games.

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Hated those uniforms and hated the shorts even more.
I will always be thankful for Veeck coming in and "Saving Our Sox'' from moving to Seattle but his 2nd stint as owner of the Sox except for 1977 were not good years what with the horrible uniforms, the shorts, Disco Demolition night and being under-financed as free agency made its debut in 1976.

thomas35forever
08-19-2011, 10:31 PM
They wore them for more than one game? Geez.

Railsplitter
08-20-2011, 09:37 AM
I always though (contrary to the Baseball Hall of Shame books) that the sox wore the shorts more than once.

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Hated those uniforms and hated the shorts even more.
I will always be thankful for Veeck coming in and "Saving Our Sox'' from moving to Seattle but his 2nd stint as owner of the Sox except for 1977 were not good years what with the horrible uniforms, the shorts, Disco Demolition night and being under-financed as free agency made its debut in 1976.

1978-1980 has to be one of the low points in the franchise's history- the uniforms, the pregame promotions on the field (belly dancers,etc.)- the low point was when the White Sox had to play a few games with 2/3's of th outfield just dirt/sand (no grass) thanks to a rock concert in the rain that ruined the field- I loved Bill Veeck- but you're right- free agency killed the ability to a guy with his financial resources to compete.

Wasting $600K over 3 years on Ron Bloomberg didn't help.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Tom:

That's something of a misnomer. Veeck himself wasn't as poor as many thought but that's beside the point. If you look at who was on the Sox Board of Directors under his ownership it was some of the richest people not only in Chicago but IN THE COUNTRY!

Veeck if he wanted to could have spent as much as any team in baseball at that time... however for reasons that I have never been able to find out, including talking with Mike about it, he chose to NEVER go to them for help financially (over and above their initial investment) and he promised them he'd always make them a profit every year.

I guess it may have been a matter of personal pride with him.

Seriously, Veeck could have said to his investors, "I need one million from each of you to get these top four players..." but he never did and those guys could have easily afforded it.

And its also revealing that as soon as Bill knew he (and by proxy his investors) were getting out he had no issues with taking Ed DeBartolo's four million dollars and signing LeFlore, Essian and Martin. (Granted he may have been doing that specifically on orders from DeBartolo, I've never been able to find out the specifics.)

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Tom:

That's something of a misnomer. Veeck himself wasn't as poor as many thought but that's beside the point. If you look at who was on the Sox Board of Directors under his ownership it was some of the richest people not only in Chicago but IN THE COUNTRY!

Veeck if he wanted to could have spent as much as any team in baseball at that time... however for reasons that I have never been able to find out, including talking with Mike about it, he choose to NEVER go to them for help financially (over and above their initial investment) and he promised them he'd always make them a profit every year.

Seriously, Veeck could have said to his investors, "I need one million from each of you to get these top four players..." but he never did and those guys could have easily afforded it.

And its also revealing that as soon as Bill knew he (and by proxy his investors) were getting out he had no issues with taking Ed DeBartolo's four million dollars and signing LeFlore, Essian and Martin. (Granted he may have been doing that specifically on orders from DeBartolo, I've never been able to find out the specifics.)

Lip

I for one am surprised to hear that especially after the fun ride we had in 1977. Why did he not re-sign Zisk and Gamble and maybe picked up a good starting pitcher?
I was not a big Veeck fan going back to his first stint when he took control from Chuck Comiskey. He made some of the worst Sox trades in history which led to some mid 80 win seasons in 60,61,and 62 and actually falling to 5th place ( 10 teams back then) in 62. Eddie Short made that great trade with the Orioles in 63 which led to 3 great 90+ win seasons. The Tommy John trade was very good too.

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Tom:

Veeck if he wanted to could have spent as much as any team in baseball at that time... however for reasons that I have never been able to find out, including talking with Mike about it, he choose to NEVER go to them for help financially (over and above their initial investment) and he promised them he'd always make them a profit every year.

Lip

Who was "Martin"?

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 05:04 PM
My bad... Jerry Turner, outfielder and checking up on this I see where the Sox actually got him in September of 81. There was a 3rd player signed with DeBartolo's money that off season but his name escapes me now. Sorry.

Lip

Brian26
08-20-2011, 05:09 PM
My bad... Jerry Turner, outfielder and checking up on this I see where the Sox actually got him in September of 81. There was a 3rd player signed with DeBartolo's money that off season but his name escapes me now. Sorry.

Lip

Billy Almon or Paciorek? Or was Paciorek a Jerry & Eddie guy? I don't know when Veeck officially sold the team.

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 05:21 PM

Lip

They did add Tony Bernazard around the same time as Essian and LeFlore- but it was via a trade of Rich Wortham.

TomBradley72
08-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Billy Almon or Paciorek? Or was Paciorek a Jerry & Eddie guy? I don't know when Veeck officially sold the team.

Paciorek was acquired before 1982 season- so Jerry & Eddie guy.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I haven't checked this but the name Todd Cruz for some reason sticks in my head. He was traded a year later in the Paciorek deal.

Lip

Lamp81
08-20-2011, 11:18 PM

Lip

So here's my Jerry Turner memory. It is the last weekend of the '81 season. I ask my Dad to take me to a game, and he says "sure". We walk to the stadium, and may Dad scalps tickets for $10 and we get 2nd row between home and 1st base dugout. Kent Hrbek, of the Twins, was a Sept. call-up, and he signed my program.

Anyway, the Sox have the bases loaded, in the bottom of the ninth, tied game. Jerry Turner gets a bases loaded walk, for the game winning RBI.

I had moved down the end of the aisle, and my arms were hanging over the fence. I know this because, I see myself on the Ch. 2 news at 10, when they show the replay of Turner's walk, as I was in the background.

This walk was the highlight of Jerry Turner's White Sox career. My user name was very close to being JTurner or Turner81.

This game still represents the best seats I have ever had at a Sox game, and one of my fondest memories of childhood.

Sox
08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Thank goodness those uni's will never see the light of day ever again. Hopefully the Sox organization made a bonfire out of those ugly things.

Red Barchetta
08-21-2011, 10:30 AM
The shorts were silly, however I really liked the dark navy blue top with the white pants/stripe on the sides. I liked the old style "Chicago" lettering and the actual white socks.

C-Dawg
08-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm one of the few who liked those uniforms but I always cringe when I see them linked with the shorts... Its like "you know, the uniform where they wore shorts". I think some people actually believe they wore them every day.

TheVulture
08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Outside of the shorts, those uniforms are sweet. I don't get why people don't like them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those the first throwback uniforms? Re-creation of the 1906 road unis?

I'd be pissed if I showed up to play a game and had to wear those shorts, though.

Brian26
08-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Outside of the shorts, those uniforms are sweet. I don't get why people don't like them.

Collars, untucked jerseys, no stirrups....just a little too throwback for the time.

TomBradley72
08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Collars, untucked jerseys, no stirrups....just a little too throwback for the time.

I'm not sure they were even throwbacks- in the photos of uniforms I've seen from the early 1900's- the jerseys were always tucked in- and while the jersey's sometimes had collars- they didn't look like the ones Mary Frances Veeck designed.

I didn't like how both home and road jerseys said "Chicago" vs. the home verson having "White Sox".

It was also kind of weird that the uniform hat's "Sox" was very modern/contemporary as was the new team logo Veeck brought it in.

FielderJones
08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Re-creation of the 1906 road unis?

First seen in 1902 (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1902_chicago.gif&Entryid=30). But the shirts were tucked in then, and the collars weren't so large.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
I called those things the pajama uniforms. On top of the ridiculously floppy collar, there were the clam-digger pants. As has been mentioned, the cap logo didn't go with the rest of the uniform at all. The only thing I liked was actually wearing white socks.