PDA

View Full Version : the drawing board.....

Garrison
07-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Here's the way I see our "foundation." We barely have one. Our minor league system has gone from #1 to #30. We've got some youngsters at AAA but they're not being given much of a chance to show their stuff at the top flight. The only players worth keeping from our current roster I think are Konerko, Maggs, Buehrle, and Garland. I believe that Buehrle and Garland are out future #1-2 starters. They both pitch well consistently now and Garland has improved a lot since last year. Paulie has become an all star and a star for real. We have to sign him up for the long term and make him our guy. It's his team now as we saw last week and we need him to keep that role. Maggs is a solid right fielder, a good hitter, and he always tries his best and never says anything. These two are the only players who bring 100% everyday and play unselfish team baseball. Danny Wright and some of the bullpen guys (Glover, Ginter, Biddle) might be worth keeping as role players but I think those main four are the only real building blocks that we have. Any other comments people?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Here's what I think should happen before 2003:

1. Baring anymore labor problems, Crede and Borchard should be guaranteed roster spots next season. If this means the Sox have to let Clayton and Durham walk, so beat it. If they have a chance to trade for Furcal, then that move should be made. He can play either middle infield position, so this trade would work for the Sox.

2. Lofton should not be resigned. As each day passes, it looks as though Williams was "had" again. He thought he'd gotten a bargain by signing a former All Star to a one-year deal. But it looks like the Indians knew what they were doing when they let him go after last season. He's an injury waiting to happen, and it's clear that he is not capable of playing everyday.

3. If Frank Thomas cannot get things straightened out, the "diminshed skills" clause should be invoked. I would like to see Frank finish his career with the Sox, but he's not worth ten million a season if he's hitting .240 with 25 homers and 100 RBI's. He is still good enough to start at DH, but he should not be making anywhere near the amount JR is paying him now.

Here is what the Sox 2003 lineup should look like:

2B- Rafael Furcal
CF- Joe Borchard
1B- Paul Konerko
RF- Magglio Ordonez
DH- Frank Thomas
3B- Joe Crede
LF- Carlos Lee
C- Josh Paul
SS- D'Angelo Jiminez

Jerry_Manuel
07-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Here is what the Sox 2003 lineup should look like:

2B- Rafael Furcal
CF- Joe Borchard
1B- Paul Konerko
RF- Magglio Ordonez
DH- Frank Thomas
3B- Joe Crede
LF- Carlos Lee
C- Josh Paul
SS- D'Angelo Jiminez

Joe Borchard should be 5th or 6th in this lineup. Anytime the Sox want to say adios to Josh Paul is fine with me.

Daver
07-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Joe Borchard should be 5th or 6th in this lineup. Anytime the Sox want to say adios to Josh Paul is fine with me.

JM is correct on that,Borchard strikes out way to much to hit in the 2 slot.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2002, 04:54 PM
My mistake. I forgot about his enormous strikeout totals. The reason I had him in the number two spot was because I thought with Furcal getting on base a lot and Konerko following him, he would see several fastballs and other good pitches to hit, which he would have no problem driving.