PDA

View Full Version : It appears WCIU now is on a stronger satellite

Fenway
08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Last night I was in a place in Boston that has Extra Innings and for the first time in memory they offered the WCIU feed in HD and the picture was fine.

mccoydp
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
DirecTV didn't have the WCIU feed on Extra Innings last night, unfortunately. I had to watch the Indians feed.

Fenway
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
DirecTV didn't have the WCIU feed on Extra Innings last night, unfortunately. I had to watch the Indians feed.

The bar in Cambridge had the U feed - WGN graphics

For Yankees they had the Royals feed.

Sad
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM

yeah I NEVER get the boys if they're on the U-
it's always the opposing team's feed...

VenturaFan23
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Last night I was in a place in Boston that has Extra Innings and for the first time in memory they offered the WCIU feed in HD and the picture was fine.

Yeah it's been that way for almost 2 years now at least. Before that DirecTV users had to endure crappy picture and sound and by the 7th inning rolled around, a "giant green blob" would invade the tv screen. I believe WGN feeds WCIU and that's why it's got quality HD now.

Fenway
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
yeah I NEVER get the boys if they're on the U-
it's always the opposing team's feed...

I think a lot has to do with where in the US you are located - DirecTV has quite a few satellites up there.

MLB.tv usually has the U and signals are sent to them by fiber optics.

jaguiar2
08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Kind of interesting regarding WCIU's satellite. I went to a community meeting for the Gateway development bordered by Halsted to the East, Green to the West, Madison to the North and Monroe to the south. It is a mixed retail and residential space with the apartment tower being about 300ft (don't remember the exact height). WCIU had representatives there up in arms saying it would destroy their station because the tower would directly block their satellite. The development got the go-ahead and will break ground soon, so it should be interesting to see what happens. It seems like they could just move it but I have zero idea how that stuff works.

Fenway
08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Kind of interesting regarding WCIU's satellite. I went to a community meeting for the Gateway development bordered by Halsted to the East, Green to the West, Madison to the North and Monroe to the south. It is a mixed retail and residential space with the apartment tower being about 300ft (don't remember the exact height). WCIU had representatives there up in arms saying it would destroy their station because the tower would directly block their satellite. The development got the go-ahead and will break ground soon, so it should be interesting to see what happens. It seems like they could just move it but I have zero idea how that stuff works.

It would cost them a few bucks to set up a remote teleport but I think it is fair to say that the real estate of their location has exploded in value the past 20 years.

Weigel has been very creative in their use of channels and they now syndicate MeTv nationally.