PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question

ZombieRob
08-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Say the Sox don't make it, and they decide to rebuild and try and dump salary and move contracts for younger players. If the right team came along and called you up( you as the Sox G.M ) and said we will give you top tier prospects and some mlb ready players for Paul Konerko and or A.J, or do you keep Konerko because you want to be loyal to him, plus he's the face of the White Sox. By moving him or A.J you can be doing them a favor by giving them a better chance to win.

As another poster here mentioned on the side, the attendance would take a beating. To be honest I'm not sure which way to go on this. I love the guy, but i hate seeing him wasted here in another year of being mediocre.

kittle42
08-18-2011, 12:09 AM
No brainer.

DumpJerry
08-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Konerko is a10/5 player.

AJ will be in a contract year next year, we won't get anything near that for him unless the other GM is on Crack.

doublem23
08-18-2011, 08:26 AM
AJ will be in a contract year next year, we won't get anything near that for him unless the other GM is on Crack.

AJ is now a 10/5 player, as well. I'm not sure what to make of the rest of your post, AJ won't fetch anything by himself just because he's AJ, 35-year-old catchers who aren't that great defensively and have been underwhelming at the plate for most of the past 5 years just generally don't fetch big prizes, but if there is a shimmer of hope, it is that he is in a contract year next year. Obviously, any GM targeting AJ wouldn't be looking to build around him, they'd be looking for a 1-year rental to shore up their C situation. The fact that he will only be on the books for 1 season likely is the only thing about him that is even remotely attractive to an opposing GM looking to wheel and deal.

kittle42
08-18-2011, 09:07 AM
AJ won't fetch anything by himself just because he's AJ, 35-year-old catchers who aren't that great defensively and have been underwhelming at the plate for most of the past 5 years just generally don't fetch big prizes, but if there is a shimmer of hope, it is that he is in a contract year next year. Obviously, any GM targeting AJ wouldn't be looking to build around him, they'd be looking for a 1-year rental to shore up their C situation. The fact that he will only be on the books for 1 season likely is the only thing about him that is even remotely attractive to an opposing GM looking to wheel and deal.

You are overlooking his Chicago toughness.

DumpJerry
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
AJ is now a 10/5 player, as well. I'm not sure what to make of the rest of your post, AJ won't fetch anything by himself just because he's AJ, 35-year-old catchers who aren't that great defensively and have been underwhelming at the plate for most of the past 5 years just generally don't fetch big prizes, but if there is a shimmer of hope, it is that he is in a contract year next year. Obviously, any GM targeting AJ wouldn't be looking to build around him, they'd be looking for a 1-year rental to shore up their C situation. The fact that he will only be on the books for 1 season likely is the only thing about him that is even remotely attractive to an opposing GM looking to wheel and deal.
I forgot that AJ was also a 10/5 player. My point was that if a GM offered a treasure trove haul for one year of AJ (regardless of his defensive liabilities), that GM is on drugs.

Domeshot17
08-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't think you rebuild it, but you have to retool it. The starting staff is still very good, and that usually can win in baseball. I am a big believer that Adam Dunn is going to bounce back.

I keep Konerko, but I would move on from AJ in a heart beat. Has he thrown out a runner in the last 4 years? I have just grown tired of everyone stealing bases on us, and even more tired of "Pop up to Second Base, AJ SLAMS his bat on the ground and slowly jogs to first". I would like to see what Flowers can do.

ZombieRob
08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Konerko is a10/5 player.

I'll take it further. If they waive the NTC, how would you be willing to let them go to rebuild. IMO The Sox owe it to Konerko to play for a winner. He's not going to get it next year with JR dumping salary and KC and the Indians being up and comers. The Sox IMO have lost that window of being real contenders.

ZombieRob
08-19-2011, 05:47 AM
I don't think you rebuild it, but you have to retool it. The starting staff is still very good, and that usually can win in baseball. I am a big believer that Adam Dunn is going to bounce back.

I keep Konerko, but I would move on from AJ in a heart beat. Has he thrown out a runner in the last 4 years? I have just grown tired of everyone stealing bases on us, and even more tired of "Pop up to Second Base, AJ SLAMS his bat on the ground and slowly jogs to first". I would like to see what Flowers can do.
I agree with this. Flowers seems to be able to hit MLB pitching so far. I just want to see how well he adjusts once the book is out on him.

amsteel
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree with this. Flowers seems to be able to hit MLB pitching so far. I just want to see how well he adjusts once the book is out on him.

At some point Beckham, Dunn, and Rios all seemed to be able to hit MLB pitching too. Flowers has looked good, but I don't know if I'm ready to have him in full time, at least not until we get a larger sample size. AJ's injury may actually be a bit of a blessing since it gives TF a full time audition.