PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-17 1 R on 4 H: Whose Line Is It Anyway? Walker's. CLE 4, SOX 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Buehrle's streak had to end some time, but it's not like he crapped the bed.

This offense is terrible. Even if the Sox come back and win the division, Walker should be gone. He should have been gone long ago. Just because someone "works hard" does not automatically mean they "work well."

vinny
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Used up all our hits last night.

JB98
Good news: Still only 3.5 back.

Bad news: We still stink.

A. Cavatica
Back to .500? Shocking.

thomas35forever
Just wasn't our night tonight. Carmona was due to own us, but that doesn't mean I'm excusing our putrid offense. There needed to be a better overall approach at the plate.

Zakath
08-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Except for Ramirez's HR, none of our "baserunners" ever touched third.

16 groundouts tonight.

We made a **** pitcher look good. Seems to be our MO.

Frater Perdurabo
Just wasn't our night tonight. Carmona was due to own us, but that doesn't mean I'm excusing our putrid offense. There needed to be a better overall approach at the plate.

I accept that Carmona could have been "due" to own us.

So when are we "due" to own Chen?

A. Cavatica

yeah, yeah, tip your cap, who gives a **** anymore?

Boondock Saint
08-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Our offense is/was bad, but Carmona was good tonight. Threw lots of strikes, got ahead of guys, kept the ball down. A good offense would likely have an off night against that.

OmahaSoxFan
08-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Well that sucked... but was to be expected... back to .500... Go get them tomorrow boys (not too optimistic with Humber going up against Masterson in the pitching match-up, but you never know).

Lost the game back to the Indians in the standings, but still ultimately remain 3.5 behind the Tigers.

DirtySox
08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Carmona looked good. Tomorrow will be tough with a regressing Humber versus Masterson.

DirtySox
08-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Good news: Still only 3.5 back.

I find myself saying/thinking it almost daily, but my god, this division is just so terribly awful.

thomas35forever
08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I accept that Carmona could have been "due" to own us.

So when are we "due" to own Chen?
Let's see. How much longer will Walker have his job?

southsideirish71
08-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Hopefully in the next 24 hours we learn that sinkers that start out knee high are not hittable pitches. Masterson will probably attack our free swinging team the same way.

Dibbs
08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
I got Walkered tonight. I have free tickets tomorrow that I will use, but I'm going back to not watching for a couple weeks after that.

Zakath
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, Carmona had a 6.08 ERA coming into tonight vs. us, and we made him look like Verlander.

Masterson has a 2.00 ERA vs. us in 13 appearances (9 starts). Maybe in the bizarro world we seem to be in, we can make him look like Hochevar.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Feel bad for Mark he didn't pitch that badly.

Hard to win when you don't score, even worse when the pitcher has an ERA of over six.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Let's see. How much longer will Walker have his job?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
I got Walkered tonight.

I like your use of the past tense of the verb "to Walker." :bandance:

mccoydp
08-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Walkerball at its finest tonight, folks.

I feel bad for Mark; he pitched pretty well, but got crap for run support. This year's team still has a long way to go before it's any good. They still suck. But suckers like me continue to watch! :redneck

doublem23
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
yeah, yeah, tip your cap, who gives a **** anymore?

I do

tstrike2000
08-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Carmona had a good sinker tonight and that explains the number of groundouts. It just exposed weaknesses of the Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Namely that they can't hit...LOL

Lip

BainesHOF
08-17-2011, 11:42 PM
It was ridiculous that Dunn was in the lineup. It was ridiculous that Lucy was allowed to lead off the eighth. It was ridiculous that Beckham was allowed to bat in the ninth.

With regard to Dunn, Williams is on record saying that Guillen is free to field the lineup that gives us the best chance to win regardless of salary. So why does Dunn continue to play? I'd like to see a beat writer ask the manager that, and come back with an intelligent follow-up after Guillen gives one of his typical non-answer answers.

JB98
08-17-2011, 11:44 PM
It was ridiculous that Dunn was in the lineup. It was ridiculous that Lucy was allowed to lead off the eighth. It was ridiculous that Beckham was allowed to bat in the ninth.

With regard to Dunn, Williams is on record saying that Guillen is free to field the lineup that gives us the best chance to win regardless of salary. So why does Dunn continue to play?

Guillen must be partial to players who hit like he did.

I understand the frustration with the refusal to pinch hit. Lucy definitely should have been lifted in the eighth.

But in fairness, there aren't a host of good options on that bench. Rios, Vizquel, Lillibridge and Flowers aren't the most feared quartet in the world.

Brian26
08-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Masterson has a 2.00 ERA vs. us in 13 appearances (9 starts). Maybe in the bizarro world we seem to be in, we can make him look like Hochevar.

I've got the dilemma tomorrow of starting Masterson on my fantasy team and trying not to root for him against the Sox. Buehrle's on my team too - at least he picked up a quality start tonight.

PalehosePlanet
08-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I've got the dilemma tomorrow of starting Masterson on my fantasy team and trying not to root for him against the Sox. Buehrle's on my team too - at least he picked up a quality start tonight.

If you mean the stat Quality Start he actually didn't qualify.

As far as Masterson goes, you have to get him in the first two innings. He seems to leave some pitches up early on but by the 4th and 5th inning his sinker really starts working.

Hopefully some of our guys move up in the batters box tomorrow and try to get some lift on the ball. Alexei is the only one I actually saw do that tonight.

SoxSpeed22
08-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Being over .500 was fun while it lasted.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2011, 12:10 AM
:D:

LOL

Lip

captain54
08-18-2011, 12:24 AM
the game seemed to turn when there were two on and one out later in the game and Morel hit into the DP...then Cleve scored a couple and the game felt like it was over...

there's a discussion in a another thread of an interview with KW where he states that he can't quite put his finger on where this team is after 120 games..

Well, if you've been watching the games like most of us have, its not that hard to figure out Kenny...

Periods of great baseball, and periods of ****ty baseball... Mostly though,
efforts like tonite where there is decent pitching and classic Walker-style offense.

not that hard to figure out.

soxfan1965
08-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Cleveland was able to bounce back after a deflating loss, it is what it is, so just go get em tomorrow!

chisoxjtrain
08-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I fail to comprehend taking a first pitch fastball strike, and then swing at a ****ty pitch. This happened plenty of times tonight and it was incredibly frustrating to watch.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm glad I had an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor appointment that swallowed up pretty much my entire evening.

BainesHOF
08-18-2011, 01:26 AM
I understand the frustration with the refusal to pinch hit. Lucy definitely should have been lifted in the eighth.

But in fairness, there aren't a host of good options on that bench. Rios, Vizquel, Lillibridge and Flowers aren't the most feared quartet in the world.

Beckham is hitting .241 with 9 homers in 374 at-bats.

Lillibridge is hitting .257 with 10 homers in 152 at-bats.

It doesn't take a genius...

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I do:thumbsup:

TomBradley72
08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
I fail to comprehend taking a first pitch fastball strike, and then swing at a ****ty pitch. This happened plenty of times tonight and it was incredibly frustrating to watch.

Quentin's AB with runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs is a great example of a horrible AB- 2-0 count, followed by 3 swinging strikes- at least 2 (possibly all 3) on pitches out of the strike zone.

With 2-0 TCQ swings at a sinker on the outside corner at the knees.

Zakath
08-18-2011, 07:53 AM
If you mean the stat Quality Start he actually didn't qualify.

As far as Masterson goes, you have to get him in the first two innings. He seems to leave some pitches up early on but by the 4th and 5th inning his sinker really starts working.

Great. Another sinkerball pitcher.

Hopefully some of our guys move up in the batters box tomorrow and try to get some lift on the ball. Alexei is the only one I actually saw do that tonight.

Adjustments to the pitcher don't seem to be high on the list for this team. We prefer to flail away helplessly way too often.

asindc
08-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Reading some comments on WSI, you would think it is just simply not possible for an average player on another team to have an exceptional performance against the Sox. Last night wasn't like Liriano's weakest no-hitter ever performance, or even Drabek's 'I can't find the plate' performance. Carmona was on top of his game last night. The Cleveland announcers were saying it was the best they have seen him all year. Sucks that he picked last night's game to have a 2007 flashback, but it happens. Let's get 'em tonight.

Vernam
08-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Quentin's AB with runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs is a great example of a horrible AB- 2-0 count, followed by 3 swinging strikes- at least 2 (possibly all 3) on pitches out of the strike zone.

With 2-0 TCQ swings at a sinker on the outside corner at the knees.

In 2008, Quentin's plate discipline was amazing, much as Paulie's is now. Carlos didn't swing at many bad pitches that season, and I think he'd have won the MVP without the stupid, self-inflicted injury.

But now, you're 100-percent correct. He's up there more concerned about arguing with the ump over whether he checked his swing on a pitch that was a foot outside. He's become a clone of all their other ****ty, undisciplined hitters. They give the term "bad habits" a whole new dimension.

Vernam

October26
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
After Alexei's homer, the Sox looked flat. I knew we were in trouble last night when I saw Carmona easily striking out Paulie. Sox gotta find a way to keep winning series. The pitching matchup tonight (Humber vs Masterson) favors the Indians. Here's hoping the Indians get Humbered tonight - GO SOX!!

hawkjt
08-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Meh. Tip your hat. Carmona had his best stuff last nite. He has a quality arm,and when a guy is on like that, tough to beat them. Boston got shut out last nite ...it happens.

Tonite,Sox need Humber to have his best command and to find a way to beat Masterson.
It can happen.

kittle42
08-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Reading some comments on WSI, you would think it is just simply not possible for an average player on another team to have an exceptional performance against the Sox.

That's ridiculous. It's not only possible that an average player will perform well against the Sox, it's more likely than not that he will.

asindc
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
That's ridiculous. It's not only possible that an average player will perform well against the Sox, it's more likely than not that he will.

Well, I continue to distinguish Liriano's 'no-hitter' and Drabek's 'Well, if they are going to keep missing the pitch, I'll just throw whatever I want' performances from Carmona's actual exceptional performance last night. The point I'm making is that while the Sox have performed badly against mediocre (or worse) pitching performances, last night's performance by Carmona is not an example of that. In fact, it is ridiculous to suggest that it is.

Jurr
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, I continue to distinguish Liriano's 'no-hitter' and Drabek's 'Well, if they are going to keep missing the pitch, I'll just throw whatever I want' performances from Carmona's actual exceptional performance last night. The point I'm making is that while the Sox have performed badly against mediocre (or worse) pitching performances, last night's performance by Carmona is not an example of that. In fact, it is ridiculous to suggest that it is.

This is very well said.

The Sox just need to win tonight to maintain momentum. They are facing a good pitcher. Guess what- if the idea of the season is to win a WS, then they'll have to beat good pitchers or they're sunk anyway.

It's time to step up.

ChiSoxGal85
08-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Reading some comments on WSI, you would think it is just simply not possible for an average player on another team to have an exceptional performance against the Sox. Last night wasn't like Liriano's weakest no-hitter ever performance, or even Drabek's 'I can't find the plate' performance. Carmona was on top of his game last night. The Cleveland announcers were saying it was the best they have seen him all year. Sucks that he picked last night's game to have a 2007 flashback, but it happens. Let's get 'em tonight.
I only saw parts of last night's game, but I specifically noticed a Liriano fastball with tons of movement that tailed back in over the plate for a strike to Quentin. In the 9th inning, no less. If that was any indication of the rest of the game, then it sounds like a solid pitching performance.

That said - I hope the Sox can get to Masterson tonight, and that Humber (who has worried me some lately) has a good game.

kufram
08-18-2011, 01:00 PM
I actually think that the better the opposition and the better the opposing pitcher then the better chance the White Sox have of playing a good game and getting a win. Yankees series excluded, of course.

I fear the no-name pitchers and the mediocre more than I do the good ones.

Let's get the series, guys.

captain54
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Sucks that he picked last night's game to have a 2007 flashback, but it happens. .

Yes, it happens.. over and over and over again. We stunk up the joint against a 5-12 guy with an over 5.00 ERA.

It becomes more of an issue of the classic WalkerBall where we make mediocre or bad pitchers look good, as opposed to the Sox hitters facing
tough opposition.

Let's just keep dancing around the fact that this is a mediocre bunch in a bad division that by some miracle has managed to hang around the race with a .500 record.

asindc
08-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, it happens.. over and over and over again. We stunk up the joint against a 5-12 guy with an over 5.00 ERA.

It becomes more of an issue of the classic WalkerBall where we make mediocre or bad pitchers look good, as opposed to the Sox hitters facing
tough opposition.

Let's just keep dancing around the fact that this is a mediocre bunch in a bad division that by some miracle has managed to hang around the race with a .500 record.

As I said a few posts above, Carmona pitched well last night, so last night is not an example of what you say in your bolded comment above.

No one is doing any kind of the dancing you are talking about. When I say, for example, that "the Sox have performed badly against mediocre (or worse) pitching performances," I mean just that, and I suspect the numerous other posters who have made similar comments meant what they said as well.

kufram
08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm really not sure that we need to be told constantly by one or two posters exactly what is what. We all see the record, we all watch the games. It begins to get patronizing to say the least.

I, for one, know what I'm looking at on the field. I recognize the failures and the successes of the team and I make a judgement about my position. I choose to be as supportive as possible. I choose to enjoy whatever the season can give me to enjoy. I choose not to wallow in the "we're crap in a crap division" camp because it looks like a no fun bunch to me.

I also choose to believe that there is no difinitive answer to our woes this year and that the team, as yet, have only done just enough to stay in it. But in it they are. As long as they're in it, then I'm in it with them. If they reach the point that they are out of it I'll leave others to do the picking over the bones.

We may have a guy that looks like a slacker sometimes, and a guy that forgets how to make a play every once in a while, and more than one that look pretty clueless with the bat more than once in a while but I see them as human beings unable to perform at their best rather than doggers who don't try to perform at their best every day of the week.

KenBerryGrab
08-18-2011, 02:32 PM
... As long as they're in it, then I'm in it with them. ...

Aye, matey!

Foulke You
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I think as a whole, the White Sox fanbase has seen so many crappy offensive performances this year that we have a difficult time deciding whether we are actually seeing good pitching or not from the opposition. Last night, I decided Carmona was on his game based upon the sickly swings being taken by Paul Konerko. Here is a guy who is our best hitter and locked in all season and even he couldn't pick up Carmona so I agree that last night was a "tip your cap" moment. Time to bounce back tonight and win the series.

captain54
08-18-2011, 04:23 PM
. I choose not to wallow in the "we're crap in a crap division" camp because it looks like a no fun bunch to me.

I can only speak for myself but wallowing is not something I find myself doing AT ALL, no matter how bad the Sox blow. My life goes on just fine either way. There were a lotta years thru the 60's 70's 80s and 90's that they blew and here I am still a fan, so I don't think that's gonna change

The Sox aren't crap. They're mediocre. Average. Uninspired. Competitive in a bad division. What's wrong with telling it like it is?

kufram
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I can only speak for myself but wallowing is not something I find myself doing AT ALL, no matter how bad the Sox blow. My life goes on just fine either way. There were a lotta years thru the 60's 70's 80s and 90's that they blew and here I am still a fan, so I don't think that's gonna change

The Sox aren't crap. They're mediocre. Average. Uninspired. Competitive in a bad division. What's wrong with telling it like it is?

There is nothing wrong with telling it like it is.... in your view is all I would add. If the team are merely mediocre is it not possible to see a positive side sometimes?

captain54
08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
is it not possible to see a positive side sometimes?

Sure, the Sox sweep Minny in Minny.. Can't help be positive about that, but then again you know its tempered by the fact that they got their ass kicked in four straight by a real team. I'm mean, that's just reality

It's great to be positive, but this team is such an inconsistent roller coaster bunch that the minute you get postive, you find yourself in
a state of frustration over any number of reasons why they lost another one. That's really no fun. Dont you think?

kufram
08-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Sure, the Sox sweep Minny in Minny.. Can't help be positive about that, but then again you know its tempered by the fact that they got their ass kicked in four straight by a real team. I'm mean, that's just reality

It's great to be positive, but this team is such an inconsistent roller coaster bunch that the minute you get postive, you find yourself in
a state of frustration over any number of reasons why they lost another one. That's really no fun. Dont you think?

Well, yes, i do think it is fun.. on the nights they win. I've had as many fun days as I've had disappointing days this year.