PDA

View Full Version : So... where are we now?

kufram
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
If I were the Indians I'd be thinking that the White Sox have our number and I wouldn't feel too good about playing us. If I were the Tigers I'd be starting to think that the White Sox may be finding what's been missing all year, even without Dunn, and I might start to think that the White Sox are the team to look out for.

Since I'm a White Sox fan I'm thinking that for all the poor defense, all of the missing offense, all the lost games we should have won, etc..... we're not in that bad a position. Minnesota has faded away. Pierre has come good (knew he would), Paulie is, well,... Paulie, TCQ is dangerous, Rios is improved, we have great pitching, a sorted bullpen, we have a solid infield, and good back-ups. AJ is bad news but Flowers looks like he might be ready to make a statement.

This division is ours to take.

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm done trying to figure it out. I'm just enjoying the ride. Last night's game was just one more example of why this team is so difficult to peg and as a fan it was gut churning stuff for the whole final 7 innings. The relief and euphoria at the end was worth every minute. In short it was the exact type of game that non-casual fans like WSI posters live for. No idea how the season will turn out, but yeah the Sox are in the fight and have done a great job of digging out of the Boston/NY hole - something that might have crushed a team with less fight in them, but the 2011 for all their faults simply don't know how to give up and for all the grief the coaching staff takes they should get credit for that. They're not sprinters they're plodders, grinders, one foot in front of the other marathoners.

Yes, they can do it. Yes, they might do it. I have no idea if they will, but once again it's nice to have meaningful baseball to watch in late August and hopefully September. Like the game last night this is why we watch...

Madvora
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
My honest belief is that we will stay in 3rd place all season and I can't wait for changes to be made. This is just a roller coaster again. I'm sick of this crap.

amsteel
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
We're one game over .500 with 41 to go. Ignore everything else. As Adam Dunn has showed us previous performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

Forget about about the standings, forget about who we're playing, go out there and give yourself a chance to win every night and good things will happen.

hawkjt
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
We're one game over .500 with 41 to go. Ignore everything else. As Adam Dunn has showed us previous performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

Forget about about the standings, forget about who we're playing, go out there and give yourself a chance to win every night and good things will happen.

Exactly. As fans it is hard to not look ahead or behind,but each game is all that matters now. Of course as a fan, I am looking ahead to the next 10 games in which the Sox face the top pitchers in baseball, in Masterson,Ogondo,Harrison,Santana,Weaver and King Felix,and just hoping they can survive that stretch, and go into September no more than 3 back of the Tigers.

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I got nothing. We are just as capable of going on a 7 game losing streak as we are a 7 game winning streak.

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 12:41 PM

AKA: The Refuse To Be Miserable Policy

If every game were a blowout and every season preordained champions it would be nice for a few years, but even those great Bulls teams of the 90's had their moments where doubt crept in. The lows make the highs that much more enjoyable.

The journey IS the destination...

#1swisher
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I can't say for sure, what this team will do. Here's what is expected of this 2011 White Sox Team, Win the Division! :smile:

Chez
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
There are few things better than a pennant race in September. I'm looking forward to it and believe it will end well for us.

BleacherBandit
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
This reminds be strongly of the '08 season. Incredibly infuriating to watch despite my inability to take my eyes off the season.

kevingrt
08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
This reminds be strongly of the '08 season. Incredibly infuriating to watch despite my inability to take my eyes off the season.

Well as long as that three game sweep in the HHH Dome doesn't happen in late September I may survive this September run.

Smokey Burg
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Until the NY series I felt they could make it happen. After getting swept, I threw in the towel. If I change my mind and start believing in them again, I fear they may drop 7 or 8 in a row.

kittle42
08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Same team. One game over .500 is mediocre. They are equally capable of winning 5 or losing 5 in a row, and of doing both those things back-to-back.

AL Central sucks. Rejoice.

delben91
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Same team. One game over .500 is mediocre. They are equally capable of winning 5 or losing 5 in a row, and of doing both those things back-to-back.

Well, regardless of the reason, I'm glad to still be watching relevant baseball at this point in the season. Of course the only reason it's still relevant baseball is that the division does suck.

I'm under no delusions that the team has things that need fixing for next year. That said, I'm still going to enjoy the fact the Sox have a chance right now, despite the fact that it's a competition to be the tallest midget.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Well as long as that three game sweep in the HHH Dome doesn't happen in late September I may survive this September run.Well, since that absolutely cannot happen, you're in good shape.

asindc
08-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Until the NY series I felt they could make it happen. After getting swept, I threw in the towel. If I change my mind and start believing in them again, I fear they may drop 7 or 8 in a row.

Cue the anti-Journey music: "Don't Start... Believin'"

Not a dig at you, mind you, just whatever it takes.

gobears1987
08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Well we are in it. A few months ago, I wouldn't expect us to be in it mid-August. Heck, this team was out of it by now the previous two seasons. So long as the pen stays healthy, we will be in it through September.

kufram
08-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Predictable.

I would say not the same team. That team would have lost last night's game in the ninth. De Aza, alone, has changed the dynamic. Any baseball team is capable of good and bad streaks... in fact, ALL baseball teams have good and bad streaks. We just concentrated on having very bad ones for a long time. But our record has not been mediocre for a while now. Otherwise we couldn't have made up 8 games in the standings. Sure, the statement that the entire division sucks explains everything. I'm not sure that the Central's pitching sucks.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
I think we have some posters who are afraid the Sox will win the division and Ozzie won't get shown the door. They'd rather see Ozzie gone than see the Sox win.

kittle42
08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Predictable.

I would say not the same team. That team would have lost last night's game in the ninth.

And a good team would have won before the 14th. And while anyone is an upgrade from Rios (especially anyone hitting .289 and almost slugging .500), let's give De Aza more than 38 ABs before we start erecting a statue.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
And a good team would have won before the 14th. And while anyone is an upgrade from Rios (especially anyone hitting .289 and almost slugging .500), let's give De Aza more than 38 ABs before we start erecting a statue.The typical internet argumentation tactic of vastly overstating other people's postions.

kittle42
08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
The typical internet argumentation tactic of vastly overstating other people's postions.

Or simply being sarcastic, which is what I was doing.

kufram
08-17-2011, 05:49 PM
And a good team would have won before the 14th. And while anyone is an upgrade from Rios (especially anyone hitting .289 and almost slugging .500), let's give De Aza more than 38 ABs before we start erecting a statue.

What I said was that De Aza had changed the dynamic, not broken any records as yet. Primarily, I'm impressed by the way he runs the bases.... the intent to get as far as he can as fast as he can. That kind of commitment from a new guy brings out something in the people around him.

Juan Pierre has had more than 38 ABs. How's he doing these days? Still the worst player in all of baseball? Paulie playing through pain... what for? Mediocrity? Lillibridge filling in pretty good at a position he's never played before? I'm impressed, and I think just maybe this team is finding just a little belief. Of course, I could be wrong but that doesn't worry me... it is just a little hint that maybe we're not done quite yet.

You made your mind up a long time ago, which is your prerogative. Pierre, alone, is proof that things are fluid... there is change.

The Tribe hasn't won a bunch of games in their last at bat because they are a bad team. A few weeks ago capitulation would have been in the dugout air in the 8th. It didn't look to me like anybody gave up.

DirtySox
08-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Kittle nails it per usual.

DumpJerry
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I think we have some posters who are afraid the Sox will win the division and Ozzie won't get shown the door. They'd rather see Ozzie gone than see the Sox win.
Nellie, don't you know that winning the 2011 World Series is probably the worst thing that could happen to the White Sox????? Yes, we're talking Worst Case Scenario.

kittle42
08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Nellie, don't you know that winning the 2011 World Series is probably the worst thing that could happen to the White Sox????? Yes, we're talking Worst Case Scenario.

I trust Nellie will jump on you for hyperbole, as well?

KMcMahon817
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
The typical internet argumentation tactic of vastly overstating other people's postions.

Par for the course for him though, no?

kittle42
08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Par for the course for him though, no?

I have jumped down others' throats for doing the same, so I am sad to get rightly called out on it here.

Frater Perdurabo
08-17-2011, 06:29 PM

I hope we win it all and that the Marlins trade us a haul of top-notch prospects to acquire Ozzie.

A. Cavatica
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Count me among them.

This team's played 121 games, has finally made it to +1 on the year, still has a negative run differential, and is still in third place. They have not yet posed a credible threat to Detroit and even if they manage to squeak by the Tigers they will be demolished by the AL East winner.

A division title would mean we'll see exactly the same **** next year. It's time to clean house.

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Count me among them.

This team's played 121 games, has finally made it to +1 on the year, still has a negative run differential, and is still in third place. They have not yet posed a credible threat to Detroit and even if they manage to squeak by the Tigers they will be demolished by the AL East winner.

A division title would mean we'll see exactly the same **** next year. It's time to clean house.

Okay then guess we can all stop watching...

Pack it up folks shut down the Gameday forum, A. Cavatica has foreseen the future...

A. Cavatica
08-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Okay then guess we can all stop watching...

Pack it up folks shut down the Gameday forum, A. Cavatica has foreseen the future...

I've seen the present.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

kittle42
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Since when did everyone fall in love with this ****ing phrase?

A. Cavatica
08-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Since when did everyone fall in love with this ****ing phrase?

Just trying to make a reasonable extrapolation from the present to the rest of the season...

Madvora
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I have to agree that there's no reason to think anything is going to change now. They've been "in it" all season long and look what they've done with that. Now is no different than before. Being at .500 means we really don't have a good team here.