PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Pierre Perfect In 14th (Sox over .500) - Post game thread

Lip Man 1
08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
So this is what being over .500 smells like.

All's well that end's well despite the Sox best efforts to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sox now 6-10 in extra inning games this year.
Sox now 19-16 in one run games.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
http://www.nicktingle.com/cartman.jpg
"Oh thank you, Lord! Praise Jesus!"

Noneck
08-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Been a long time coming to be +1. Hope it keeps increasing.

BoysMom3
Finally! Sooo tired, but it's always worth it with a win!!!

manders_01
So glad I realized the game was still going on (thanks SOXfnNlansing) when I got home so that I could see this awesome ending! :bandance:

MUsoxfan
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Glad to see the win. Not capitalizing on triples was making me mad

GoGoCrede
My reactions:
1. Yay!
2. It's about damn time.
3. Where's the postgame thread?
4. Good night, all.

(posted in PTC thread by mistake, I AM tired)

billyvsox
Sox are to Cleveland, like Minnesota is (was) to the Sox.

They just cant beat us this year. Feels good to be over .500, now win tomorrow and get hot.

Chemistry looked good tonight, lots of smiling and high fives, maybe we are starting to come around.

Oh....and no Dunn tomorrow, please Ozzie, I'm begging you.

Aesero
Giving the Indians a taste of their own medicine!

I want to be mad at Rios for that CF play in the ninth, but he made up for it with the lead off triple and nobody drove him in :(

Soxman219
I was gonna lose it if we lost this game. But Juan Pierre saves the day!:cool:

Let's win again later tonight!

TommyGavinFloyd
08-17-2011, 12:37 AM
They did a ton of things wrong but it's late, they won, and they're over .500. Kudos to everyone who stuck this one out. This was Washington all over again, except we won this time. :bandance:

JB98
When you get five triples, you just gotta win that game.

This came down to attrition, and the Sox had more horses in the bullpen. Jesse Crain and Jason Frasor are superior pitchers to Chad Durbin and David Huff.

White_Sock
Alright! It's even late by west coast standards.

We actually won in extras! It can be done!!:gulp:

GlassSox
Interesting game thread tonight with those staying up late. Juan Pierre is the late inning hero. :D:

Boondock Saint
Plenty to be pissed about, but I'll save it. Sox finally have won more games than they've lost.

amsteel
08-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Games where you play like **** and still win are a good sign.

Zakath
Absolutely "had-to-have-it" game. Lose this one and you're back to 4.5 back, and you fall 2.5 behind Cleveland.

You don't lose ground to Detroit, and now Cleveland is in trouble, especially with their pen having to go 9+ innings and Carmona (who the Sox have destroyed this year) going tonight.

Mohoney
They lose this game in April. They lose this game in May. They lose this game in June.

A win tomorrow means SOLE possession of 2nd place.

This team is hell-bent on giving us all ulcers, but I'll be damned if I'm not watching.

PushinWeight
08-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Would have went nuts if they didn't win this game after so many blown opportunities.

That took a toll on me any probably the Sox pitching staff.

Might have to go back to not watching them after this one, they seemed to get by the last week and a half.

PalehosePlanet
We out hit them by 12 and beat them by 1...what a crazy game. Wasn't without it's usual maddening, frustrating moments, but hey that's the 2011 White Sox. Nice to be on the winning end of one of these, finally.

Thanks boys for wiping that nasty taste I've had in my mouth for 2 hours or so.

voodoochile
I'm exhausted. I am simply beat to ****. I have almost nothing left, yet like the Sox tonight. Like they have all season. I too refused to quit. Guess that makes me the ATC (admin to click... no seriously... don't click me... see? I'm loopy... loopy but very very happy!) I had to refrain from screaming **** YEAH! when Juan did his thing in the 14th - is there another player on the team save Paulie you want batting in that situation? The man just puts the bat on the ball time and time and time again. Of course Paulie wouldn't have been batting in that situation, because if he had still been in the game they would have walked him very intentionally. Which does bring me to the point others were making in the game thread and something I was intentionally avoiding thinking about during those final few innings that final lineup was um... bad...

But they got it done...

1 game OVER! 4 games back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

(sorry for the streaming consciousness post, like I said, I'm not all here at the moment...) :tongue:

Foulke You
08-17-2011, 12:40 AM
This was the most crazy, entertaining, tormenting, torture filled, splendid game I've ever seen this year. It felt like a playoff game and you can tell that both teams wanted this one bad.

Celebrate tonight Sox fans. Mt. Everest has been climbed. We are over .500 at least for one day! :gulp:

BNLSox
So frustrating that we blew the save. I really thought Rios was going to lay out and make that play.... I guess I should know better than that.

5 triples and 22 hits (crazy offensive showing even for 14 innings) and 19K's by White Sox pitchers - nice night!

I hope they aren't too tired the rest of the week

soxfan1965
22 hits and a deep extra inning loss would be tough and deflating, and it was costly for the bullpen, but we'll take it, more of a relief, hopefully a big lift.

kevingrt
Two tidbits about this game...

1. If the Sox have already won our 60 and lost our 60 then I may die from these final 41 after tonight. Christ.

2. Text of the night from my buddy, "I'm officially ALL IN for this team to destroy my life again."

Until tomorrow.

Oy...

BainesHOF
08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
De Aza and even Flowers have injected some energy into the team. Even the dugout is awake now.

Pierre went from being one of the worst players in the majors to a very good contributor. Good for him.

It was something to see us hit five triples.

Rios should have caught that ball in the ninth. It would have ended the game.

It was unbelievable how many bad pitches the home plate umpire was calling strikes.

GoIllini
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Well, I have been reading these post game threads almost religiously since game number 163 and I always liked the ones where we won a lot more. After that crazy game, figured it would be a perfect time to finally post.

Holy cow... What a game. Can not help but be optimistic with the White Sox (no matter how frustrating they have been this year). Calling it now, the W Sox finish 102-60 :D:

thomas35forever
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
1 game OVER! 4 games back...

3 1/2 actually. It's okay, though. Most everyone here is tired.:tongue:

Crooked Number
08-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Pure torture. Did we win? God.

Each time I think "that was the most wild and painful game i've seen in years" they just keep churning out more of these gems. Somehow, they came out on the winning end this time.

Alex Rios: Costs us the game ending sure double play as a "defensive" replacement in the bottom of the ninth, by letting a bloop, easy ball land right in front of him. He laid up on it, and he let it drop.

Dunn: More awfulness from him. Its August 16th (it was when he batted) he ISNT COMING OUT OF IT.

De Aza: Ozzie won't let him play even after his hustle, and great hitting performance tonight. Rios will be back out there soon, costing us games. Can't wait.

Let the kids play. They are providing something that this team has been lacking all season. Hustle, spark, effort. How about Flowers digging hard out of the box for his triple? Bring up Dayan. Let him DH. Dunn, bench. De Aza in center, Rios bench. Defensive replacement needed? De Aza, keep him in center, Quentin, keep him in right. None needed.

Rios and Dunn aren't rally killers, they are season killers. If Ozzie continues to give them playing time, they will drive this team right into the ground, quelling any chance at this division. We have seen enough. Time to make the right decision. Don't macho bull**** this team's chances away Ozzie. Bench these two guys. They don't have it this year. It's 2012 for them. Please.

Noneck
08-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh....and no Dunn tomorrow, please Ozzie, I'm begging you.

Dunn has to play vs. some righties until Paul can play 1st. Lillibridge cant be a everyday player at 1st.

Foulke You
08-17-2011, 12:46 AM
It was unbelievable how many bad pitches the home plate umpire was calling strikes.
He also was letting some pitches go for balls that were actually strikes. Ohman was all over the place when he came in but there were a few that were right there that Diaz didn't call. However, we caught a break or two later on from his crappy umpiring. It was CB Buckner/Joe West style strike zone tonight.

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 12:47 AM
3 1/2 actually. It's okay, though. Most everyone here is tired.:tongue:

I forgot the kittens played last night... ty... Now I'm really happy...

Scary thing is that you all kind of have a reason to be tired because it's late by you. It's only 10:45 by me. I'm just ragged out from watching that game. People who aren't fans like us don't get it. The relief/euphoria of winning games like this is magnified by the intensity and length of the game itself. I mean this is just another game in August of a long season, right?

Hope the team uses this moment to continue to climb now realizing that they truly are good enough, strong enough and darn it, people like them...

thomas35forever
08-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Well, I have been reading these post game threads almost religiously since game number 163 and I always liked the ones where we won a lot more. After that crazy game, figured it would be a perfect time to finally post.

Holy cow... What a game. Can not help but be optimistic with the White Sox (no matter how frustrating they have been this year). Calling it now, the W Sox finish 102-60 :D:
What took you so long?

But seriously, great to have you on board, especially after this.
:welcome:

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 12:49 AM

And if you can actually read the post game threads every night you are a stronger fan than I...

Tragg
08-17-2011, 12:52 AM
I guess I now know why the Indians are good....man they make their hits count. Efficient.

We so outplayed them in most phases and in the phase that counts.

BoysMom3
08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
My reactions:
1. Yay!
2. It's about damn time.
3. Where's the postgame thread?
4. Good night, all.

(posted in PTC thread by mistake, I AM tired)

Hahaha. My thoughts exactly, GGC!

GoIllini
08-17-2011, 12:56 AM
What took you so long?

But seriously, great to have you on board, especially after this.

Had to make an account once the game day threads became private. There has been a lot of misery and frustration since the Minnesota black out game and its always nice to know you are not alone. :tongue:

08-17-2011, 01:06 AM
De Aza is like a Denard Span clone.

hawkjt
08-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Amazing game. Not sure how the Sox can get 22 hits and only score 8 runs...but they find a way.
Thank god for Gordo,Brent and Juanie finishing this thing off. I know we all had that sinking feeling after all the blown opportunities,but the Sox relievers kept hanging tough. Hats off to them all,including Frasor who I really did not want to come out a second inning.

Sale and Sergio finally had hiccups,but the Sox survived anyway.
Finally back to .500 in the division,and over .500 on the season.
Now, please do not look back,go out and let MB be MB tonite,and give our bullpen a break.

The ballclub took a big blow today with the loss of AJ,but they showed something in coming out determined vs Jiminez.

Twins need to help out the Sox tonite,and then Cleveland goes to Detroit,and then the Tigers go down to Tampa for 4. Make some hay,Sox!

BLRMKRdave
08-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Juanderful Win!

Mohoney
08-17-2011, 01:13 AM
I forgot the kittens played last night... ty... Now I'm really happy...

There is a funny line between 3.5 and 4. 3.5 just rolls off the tongue better, doesn't it?

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2011, 01:34 AM

This came down to attrition, and the Sox had more horses in the bullpen. Jesse Crain and Jason Frasor are superior pitchers to Chad Durbin and David Huff.
And, when you get over 20 hits, you have to win that game as well. I'm just glad that Beckham's blunder in the 9th didn't turn out to do us in. For those of you who watched it on TV, did it look like an error? From our seats, it looked like one, and we were shocked to see no errors added to the scoreboard. Just curious...

We stayed for the whole thing...It's strange to think that I have also been to a game that was five innings longer than this!

For the past week, we've had the Magic Juand!

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2011, 01:40 AM
I must also add that, I got to stand right next to the Frank Thomas statue, and it looked so real! The pose could've been better, but the detail was just wonderful.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2011, 01:42 AM
And, when you get over 20 hits, you have to win that game as well. I'm just glad that Beckham's blunder in the 9th didn't turn out to do us in. For those of you who watched it on TV, did it look like an error? From our seats, it looked like one, and we were shocked to see no errors added to the scoreboard. Just curious...He got an out, so no error. Fielder's choice.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
He got an out, so no error. Fielder's choice.
Ahhh...We missed that...Makes sense.

Ranger
08-17-2011, 03:38 AM
So frustrating that we blew the save. I really thought Rios was going to lay out and make that play.... I guess I should know better than that.

5 triples and 22 hits (crazy offensive showing even for 14 innings) and 19K's by White Sox pitchers - nice night!

I really think it's a good thing he didn't. If it gets by him, they've got some real trouble. The problem with the play was his inability to read the ball off the bat. It took him a good couple of seconds to react.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-17-2011, 03:48 AM
I had to turn off the game in the bottom of the 8th when I pulled up at my work.

Since I'm not allowed to have my phone there, I had no idea how the game was going, and when I got back to my car at 2:30, I checked that I had 6 text messages from the game tracker (I have it set to 1 text every 3 innings, then 1 per extra inning). I was like "What the hell?"

Saw that this game went deep into extras, and when I saw "Indians 7, White Sox 8" I literally yelled "YES!" and fist-pumped.

Not happy at how it got done, but the point is, it got done. We're now over .500 for the first time since April, and that monkey is now off our back. Now, Sox, go catch Cleveland, sweep their Toon asses out of your park, and start playing like the team you were expected to be....that is, a division winner.

P.S. Alejandro De Aza is just manly.

wassagstdu
08-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Another huge, must win game. If Rios makes the catch in the 9th its game over, Sox win. So he plays it safe. It would not have taken a miracle catch, just a little effort and risk. No "instinct for the jugular" only fear of failure.

October26
08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Two tidbits about this game...

1. If the Sox have already won our 60 and lost our 60 then I may die from these final 41 after tonight. Christ.

2. Text of the night from my buddy, "I'm officially ALL IN for this team to destroy my life again."

Until tomorrow.

Oy...

I really enjoyed reading this entire postgame thread but this comment had me :rolling: laughing hysterically on the subway into work this morning. I'm a zombie today after watching that marathon game last night, (went to bed at 1 am & woke up at 5am) . But hey, at least I'm a very happy zombie!

Unbelievably frustrating game to watch, with the Sox leaving lots of runners on base last night. And then Santos, whose been so good all year, blows the save in the 9th. Ugh. And the last time the Sox hit 5 triples in a game was in 1920 (Joe Jackson had 2 triples in that game)? Wow.

Fortunately , Juan Pierre had one more hit in his bat saved for the bottom of the 14th inning - thanks Juan for giving us a WHITE SOX WINNER! :bliss:

asindc
08-17-2011, 07:27 AM

De Aza and even Flowers have injected some energy into the team. Even the dugout is awake now.

Pierre went from being one of the worst players in the majors to a very good contributor. Good for him.

It was something to see us hit five triples.

Rios should have caught that ball in the ninth. It would have ended the game.

Pure torture. Did we win? God.

Each time I think "that was the most wild and painful game i've seen in years" they just keep churning out more of these gems. Somehow, they came out on the winning end this time.

Alex Rios: Costs us the game ending sure double play as a "defensive" replacement in the bottom of the ninth, by letting a bloop, easy ball land right in front of him. He laid up on it, and he let it drop.

Dunn: More awfulness from him. Its August 16th (it was when he batted) he ISNT COMING OUT OF IT.

De Aza: Ozzie won't let him play even after his hustle, and great hitting performance tonight. Rios will be back out there soon, costing us games. Can't wait.

Let the kids play. They are providing something that this team has been lacking all season. Hustle, spark, effort. How about Flowers digging hard out of the box for his triple? Bring up Dayan. Let him DH. Dunn, bench. De Aza in center, Rios bench. Defensive replacement needed? De Aza, keep him in center, Quentin, keep him in right. None needed.

Rios and Dunn aren't rally killers, they are season killers. If Ozzie continues to give them playing time, they will drive this team right into the ground, quelling any chance at this division. We have seen enough. Time to make the right decision. Don't macho bull**** this team's chances away Ozzie. Bench these two guys. They don't have it this year. It's 2012 for them. Please.

Another huge, must win game. If Rios makes the catch in the 9th its game over, Sox win. So he plays it safe. It would not have taken a miracle catch, just a little effort and risk. No "instinct for the jugular" only fear of failure.

I'm glad Rios did not make a dive for that ball. If he evens muffs it without letting it get by him, that could have been the ball game. Rios' mistake on that play was not reading the ball off the bat properly in the first place. He should have recognized that Santana did not get a good swing on it, so he should have broke in sooner than he did. I don't fault him for not laying out, however. Too risky when you can still go to the bottom of the 9th with a tie game.

As for the game itself, I don't think its a coincidence that the swagger the team has shown recently comes at about the same time De Aza and Flowers have come up to play. This team needed their energy badly, as Dunn's and Rios' struggles had cast a pall over the team for much of the season. While I'm still in favor of benching Dunn for the season, at least we now have younger guys like De Aza, Morel, and Flowers swinging the bat with purpose. And here is a special :bandance::gulp: to Juan, who had been (somewhat) unfairly maligned on these boards earlier in the year. Whatever mojo you have working for you, please share it with Rios and Dunn!

SI1020
08-17-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm glad Rios did not make a dive for that ball. If he evens muffs it without letting it get by him, that could have been the ball game. Rios' mistake on that play was not reading the ball off the bat properly in the first place. He should have recognized that Santana did not get a good swing on it, so he should have broke in sooner than he did. I don't fault him for not laying out, however. Too risky when you can still go to the bottom of the 9th with a tie game.

As for the game itself, I don't think its a coincidence that the swagger the team has shown recently comes at about the same time De Aza and Flowers have come up to play. This team needed their energy badly, as Dunn's and Rios' struggles had cast a pall over the team for much of the season. While I'm still in favor of benching Dunn for the season, at least we now have younger guys like De Aza, Morel, and Flowers swinging the bat with purpose. And here is a special :bandance::gulp: to Juan, who had been (somewhat) unfairly maligned on these boards earlier in the year. Whatever mojo you have working for you, please share it with Rios and Dunn! Good post. I completely agree that this team has been badly in need of youthful energy. The Sox dugout has looked lifeless all year.

Chez
08-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Great win with lots of contributors. When's the last time a team scored off both Sale and Santos in the same game? Need Buehrle to go deep into the game tonight. I hope to see Paulie back at 1B, Quentin as DH and De Aza in RF.

SI1020
08-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Great win with lots of contributors. When's the last time a team scored off both Sale and Santos in the same game? Need Buehrle to go deep into the game tonight. I hope to see Paulie back at 1B, Quentin as DH and De Aza in RF. I know that Paulie's injury has caused problems with the lineup, but please no Dunn.

October26
08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I know that Paulie's injury has caused problems with the lineup, but please no Dunn.

Well, Farmer & DJ mentioned during the game last night (I think it was last night) that Paulie has been running better, of late. I hope this means that Paulie will be back at first base soon. We (Sox) need all of the offense we can get for the rest of this Cleveland series and with the Texas Rangers coming to town this weekend.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Agree completely. Rios didn't get the best jump on that ball, but he possibly would have compounded his mistake if he took a foolish dive for it. With a runner on the move, you can't take that risk. By letting it drop and holding the runners to 1st and 3rd, he gave the Sox another chance to get out of that inning unscathed, which they could have if Choo had hit his ground ball to Bacon just a little harder.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, Farmer & DJ mentioned during the game last night (I think it was last night) that Paulie has been running better, of late. I hope this means that Paulie will be back at first base soon. We (Sox) need all of the offense we can get for the rest of this Cleveland series and with the Texas Rangers coming to town this weekend.

Paulie looked a lot better last night, but Lillibridge has been surprisingly effective at 1B so there is still no need to rush him back.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
I really think it's a good thing he didn't. If it gets by him, they've got some real trouble. The problem with the play was his inability to read the ball off the bat. It took him a good couple of seconds to react.

Yeah those balls that are hit directly at, behind, or in front of you are notoriously difficult to read right away.

FWIW, however, if the Sox are going to pull Carlos for defense (which I do not object to) I would prefer to have De Aza in CF and Rios in RF.

hawkjt
08-17-2011, 08:15 AM

When Paulie advanced from 2nd to 3rd on that deep fly ball to center, it became clear that he is finally running better. I agree that we need him back at 1st ASAP,because while Lilly has done a good job over there,he is a short target and it will eventually hurt the Sox, I suspect.
And probably more importantly, Lilly needs to be protected from too much exposure to righthanded pitching, as we saw again last nite.
Tonite vs Carmona and tomorrow nite vs Masterson, I want DeAza in the lineup, preferably hitting second. Then Saturday nite vs Ogondo also. Sunday vs Harrison. Tuesday vs Santana, and Wed vs Weaver, then on the weekend vs King Felix...all righthanded starters who we will see,who I do not want Lilly to start against. AJ will be missed vs this murderers row.

slavko
08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

USCF is not a triples ballpark so 5 is amazing. The bullpen is the key. They had a night off Monday, so the situation is not dire.

Good post. I completely agree that this team has been badly in need of youthful energy. The Sox dugout has looked lifeless all year.

Helps that the youth can play a little.

Told ya on Pierre. That his history, finish the season strong. But don't sign him again.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
USCF is not a triples ballpark so 5 is amazing. The bullpen is the key. They had a night off Monday, so the situation is not dire.

How many of those triples were hit to RF? Choo had a bad night out there last night, looked like he'd never played RF before in his life.

jdm2662
08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
How many of those triples were hit to RF? Choo had a bad night out there last night, looked like he'd never played RF before in his life.

They all were hit to either RF or right center field. Fukodome is not a CF by trade, and it showed as well. I don't expect Choo to play that bad again, though.

seventyseven
08-17-2011, 08:35 AM
An important win ... but I still hate this team. I'm beginning to think it's not Ozzie's fault, and that he has a bunch of mental midgets on his hands.

jdm2662
08-17-2011, 08:35 AM
He also was letting some pitches go for balls that were actually strikes. Ohman was all over the place when he came in but there were a few that were right there that Diaz didn't call. However, we caught a break or two later on from his crappy umpiring. It was CB Buckner/Joe West style strike zone tonight.

I normaly don't complain about umps/refs, but wow, that strike zone was piss poor for both teams. When balls that has the entire plate are called for balls, and stikes called when they are outside, oye.

Jerko
08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Rios is awful at those little pop-ups that look like easy outs off the bat. At least he didn't let the guy get to 2nd (and nobody scored from first) on last night's effort.

TomBradley72
08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I'll give this team points for persistence. Very gutsy performance from Crain, PK is giving a lesson in "leadership by example", Flowers seems to have some stones, De Aza brings a nice spark, Morel with a 4 hit game, and best example of "persistence" in 2011- Juan Pierre- he never gave up, kept working hard- and came through in a big way last night.

Tonight's a big game- a chance to take over 2nd, and insure we win at least 2/3 in this series.

SOXSINCE'70
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Juanderful Win!

It's Juanderful,Juanderful!

dwitt76
08-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Not sure if this has been said but we are .500 in the division now.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure if this has been said but we are .500 in the division now.

The Sox had 48 games within the division in the 2nd half and I think everyone basically agreed that was going to make or break their season. Well, 18 games in that stretch and we are 13-5.

BleacherBandit
08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Paul Konerko is the only player in baseball Omar Vizquel could pinch-run for.

voodoochile
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM

I was wondering if he struggled with the lights coming down, but I agree, I think he played it safe because not playing it safe might cost the team the game. In the end his decision was proven correct. All it cost us was some heartburn and some bullpen innings.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Most triples in a game by the Sox since September 17, 1920. (six)

Lip

JB98
08-17-2011, 12:33 PM

His reads have been awful this season. He's routinely breaking back on little flares that barely clear the infield. He didn't have this problem last season, so I don't know what is going on with him.

I booed Rios on the last homestand because he made a couple mental miscues that really pissed me off, but his biggest problem this season is he just can't seem to get a good jump on anything.

That fly off the bat of Brantley in the ninth last night was up there forever. It should have been caught.

mzh
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I usually think of it as a good sign when you get big contributions from the de Azas and the Flowers, the little guys. The Geoff Blum types, so to speak.

slavko
08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I was wondering if he struggled with the lights coming down, but I agree, I think he played it safe because not playing it safe might cost the team the game. In the end his decision was proven correct. All it cost us was some heartburn and some bullpen innings.

Two things went on during the play in question. He was playing back, in no-doubles position, because the manager put him there with a man on first in a close game. That's not his fault. He didn't read the ball off the bat (supposed to listen for the sound) and went back on it which made the diving catch impossible. He may not have any baseball sense. That's his fault.

For those of you with medium term memory, Aaron Rowand broke back a lot on short balls too.

doublem23
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
For those of you with medium term memory, Aaron Rowand broke back a lot on short balls too.

Yeah, and actually, the JOE! CREDE! game against these very same Indians, Crede was only in a position to win the game on a HR because Rowand misplayed a ball hit directly at him in a late game situation, too, only he broke in on a ball that eventually landed over his head

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
What a game last night. I can't remember any other game that I've attended that was more tiring than this one.

Foulke You
08-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, and actually, the JOE! CREDE! game against these very same Indians, Crede was only in a position to win the game on a HR because Rowand misplayed a ball hit directly at him in a late game situation, too, only he broke in on a ball that eventually landed over his head
Most CFers will tell you the ball hit straight at you is the toughest one to read especially if the swing was big. You really have to listen for the sound of the bat in order to gauge how deep it is going to be. In the case of last night's game, I think Rios just didn't hear the sound and it took him a couple seconds to realize he had to charge it and by then it was too late.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2011, 02:24 PM
What a game last night. I can't remember any other game that I've attended that was more tiring than this one.
It was pretty tiring, all right! We all were pretty tired leaving the ballpark as well. Did you also stay until the end? It kind of felt eerie leaving the ballpark with so few people left.