PDA

View Full Version : Picnic in the Park 2011

Nelfox02
08-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Wondering if anyone else on here attended this event?

I did, good times as usual. Knocked out 36 autographs and ate too many hot dogs

Some of my observations

--Carlos Quentin looked like he wanted to be doing anything but sitting and signing autographs today, at least when I met him

--Omar Vizquel was affable enough, until I asked for an inscription on a photo and he looked at me and said "No, hell no" dont mind him not doing it, but didnt have to decline that way

---Had a great conversation with Jake Peavy about Whiskey and his concern that people in Chicago dont drink enough Tequila

---Met Chris Sale's familly

---other than the guys I mentioned above, the players and coaches I met today were very nice/patient/accomadting. Especiallly Danks, Don Cooper, AJ, and surpsingly Alex Rios

---Tyler Flowers is a big dude

Kudos to the Sox and the support staff today for hosting a great event.

salty99
08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Quentin had a scowl on his face the whole time and messed up my jersey number. He also was questioning people with gamer bats.

The rest of them were pretty personable, but not many stuck around for the picnic portion itself.

Carneyman14
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Wondering if anyone else on here attended this event?

I did, good times as usual. Knocked out 36 autographs and ate too many hot dogs

Some of my observations

--Carlos Quentin looked like he wanted to be doing anything but sitting and signing autographs today, at least when I met him

--Omar Vizquel was affable enough, until I asked for an inscription on a photo and he looked at me and said "No, hell no" dont mind him not doing it, but didnt have to decline that way

---Had a great conversation with Jake Peavy about Whiskey and his concern that people in Chicago dont drink enough Tequila

---Met Chris Sale's familly

---other than the guys I mentioned above, the players and coaches I met today were very nice/patient/accomadting. Especiallly Danks, Don Cooper, AJ, and surpsingly Alex Rios

---Tyler Flowers is a big dude

Kudos to the Sox and the support staff today for hosting a great event.

After Omar said that and signed, I would have been like "thanks, I'm gonna sell this and make a crap ton of money." :angry:

amsteel
08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
This is gonna fan the flames of 'this team isn't likable', but if someone made me stay late after work and talk to a bunch of people I didn't want to talk to I would be pissed about it and leave ASAP, too.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I saw on my Twitter feed that up to a certain point, Jeff Cox hadn't signed a single autograph. :(: I felt bad for the guy.

GoGoCrede
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
This is gonna fan the flames of 'this team isn't likable', but if someone made me stay late after work and talk to a bunch of people I didn't want to talk to I would be pissed about it and leave ASAP, too.

I'd stay if they were paying me millions. :smile:

Carneyman14
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM

This. We are essentially their bosses. Our money pays their salary. If your boss wants you to stay late, you better if you wanna get paid.

Nelfox02
08-15-2011, 12:04 PM

I mean, on one hand I see your point---but on the other hand its one night a year for the fans (who are donating a generous amount to White Sox Charities to be there). I dont think it is out of line to ask the players to at least be personable to the fans. They dont need to be jumping for joy about signing autographs, but a smile or at least maybe a "your welcome" when I thank them for signing something for me?

This is a great event, but it would be an amazing one if more players stuck around after the autograph session and interacted with the fans. I 100% agree they should not be hounded for photos and autographs after the 1 hour session ends, but it would be nice to talk to a few of the guys in a casual setting like that.

Nelfox02
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Quentin had a scowl on his face the whole time and messed up my jersey number. He also was questioning people with gamer bats.

The rest of them were pretty personable, but not many stuck around for the picnic portion itself.

was he reluctant to sign the gamers?

salty99
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
was he reluctant to sign the gamers?

Yes

thomas35forever
08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I saw on my Twitter feed that up to a certain point, Jeff Cox hadn't signed a single autograph. :(: I felt bad for the guy.
Well I'm lucky because he's the only guy currently in the organization whose autograph I have.

Soxfest
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry 1 time a year for charity the players have to stay and sign autographs and be pissy about it is total BS. This was scheduled for months.

kittle42
08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

This. We are essentially their bosses. Our money pays their salary. If your boss wants you to stay late, you better if you wanna get paid.

You make more money, your perspective changes. As someone who has made as little as minimum wage and as much as $230k a year (not that this amount is millions, but it may as well be for many Americans) and now resides somewhere in the middle of that, trust me.

BainesHOF
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
It's pathetic that some players have difficulty putting on a good face for an hour to sign autographs for a charity event.

Quentin is a clown when it comes to autographs. He has to know by now that his bats are sold at the Garage and Yard Sales for charity. He's making millions of dollars a year to play a game and he's worried about some $100 bats?

soxfan1965
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe Quentin is thinking "I graduated from Stanford to do this?". Anyway, TCQ is paid to do well on the field and I'm glad he's on the team. No matter how tired you are, you have to connect with the fans, especially with a team who depends heavily on performance for attendance (unlike the team on the other side of town). And when they are doing so-so, you gotta go the extra mile to appreciate the fans that do come out. Makes you appreciate Bobby Hull how he signed for every last kid. If I did go, the player I'd seek is Lillibridge, and encourage him to try catching to add to his versitility.

BainesHOF
08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
FYI...About a month ago, Lillibridge and especially Morel went way out of their way to give my seven-year-old nephew an autograph as they entered the park before the game. They made a kid very happy. It told me a lot about those two.

rockinrobin23
08-21-2011, 02:02 AM
carlos thinks he is a bigger star than he really is.

HaroMaster87
08-21-2011, 09:25 PM
carlos thinks he is a bigger star than he really is.

And if that is indeed a true assessment (having never met him), that will help to contribute to him being moved this off season...