PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Damaso Marte Leaving?

TomBradley72
08-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Interesting quotes from Ozzie within an article about Zambrano- Ozzie comments about Marte breaking team rules, etc. in 2005 which led to his departure from White Sox-has anyone else heard this before?

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110813/sports/708139820/

doublem23
08-14-2011, 06:40 AM
I thought it was just because he was awful

C-Dawg
08-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought it was just because he was awful

And Pittsburgh had a bag of balls that looked REALLY good to Kenny!

Chez
08-14-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember something happening in August when Marte was away from the team for a few days. The specifics were never disclosed to the public, but it was clearly neither medical nor performance related. At the time, I remember Bruce Levine emphatically stated that, Marte would never pitch for the Sox again. He was back with the club 2 days later (and, of course, was the winning pitcher in game #3 of the WS).

Brian26
08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I remember something happening in August when Marte was away from the team for a few days. The specifics were never disclosed to the public, but it was clearly neither medical nor performance related. At the time, I remember Bruce Levine emphatically stated that, Marte would never pitch for the Sox again. He was back with the club 2 days later (and, of course, was the winning pitcher in game #3 of the WS).

Correct. Details never explicitly came out, although rumors were about him "letting down the team".

The Sox brought him back for the series in Minnesota, and Ozzie called on him in a crucial spot on his first day back. Leading into the commercial break for the pitching change...
:hawk
"Aylrighht, Ozzie's gonna roll the dice....and we'll be back."

NLaloosh
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I believe that it had something to do with Marte not telling anyone that he was injured and he did this more than once. I think he had neck problems or something. Ozzie was pissed.

Or, he told Oney to shut the hell up.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I seem to remember something going on with him falling out of favor with Guillen. But I don't think they ever really went public with it.

gobears1987
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking the fact that he sucked in big situations had something to do with it.

I have 2 Damaso Marte memories. Blowing Opening Day in KC in 2004 (Billy Koch helped blow that **** to pieces) and loading the bases with no outs @ Fenway. Thankfully, the latter turned out OK for us thanks to El Duque.

Lamp81
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM
What about the bases loaded walk on the 4th of July to walk in the winning run, at Wrigley?

He was dead to me after that performance. I was glad to see him gone.

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2011, 09:48 PM
What about the bases loaded walk on the 4th of July to walk in the winning run, at Wrigley?

He was dead to me after that performance. I was glad to see him gone.

I'm thinking the fact that he sucked in big situations had something to do with it.

I have 2 Damaso Marte memories. Blowing Opening Day in KC in 2004 (Billy Koch helped blow that **** to pieces) and loading the bases with no outs @ Fenway. Thankfully, the latter turned out OK for us thanks to El Duque.

Wow guys, seriously? He had a 2.78 ERA in 279 games with us in 4 years, including a ERA+ of 293 in 2003 (By far the best year for a White Sox reliever since Hoyt Wilhelm in the mid 60's) and that's what you remember?

MISoxfan
08-16-2011, 04:14 AM
The problem is that he was great with also-ran teams of 2003 and 2004, but the worst reliever in 2005. 2005 was much more memorable.

Bob Roarman
08-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Well it's easy to stick out as the "worst" on the 05' pitching staff.

gobears1987
08-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Well it's easy to stick out as the "worst" on the 05' pitching staff.
I trusted Luis Vizcaino more than Marte in 2005. 2005 also had a bad Shingo Takatsu and an injured Dustin Hermanson (who was good when healthy).

SOX ADDICT '73
08-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Wow guys, seriously? He had a 2.78 ERA in 279 games with us in 4 years, including a ERA+ of 293 in 2003 (By far the best year for a White Sox reliever since Hoyt Wilhelm in the mid 60's) and that's what you remember?
The thing about a relief pitcher's ERA is that is often doesn't tell the whole story. Damaso Marte was the undisputed KING of letting inherited runners score, but usually managed to squirm out (or get bailed out by another reliever) before too many of his runners - mostly walks or hit-batsmen, it seemed - had crossed the plate.

asindc
08-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I'm seriously surprised that you are surprised that fans remember Marte's frequent meltdowns in 2005 more than anything else, culminating with the infamous walk-the-bases-loaded fiasco in the ALDS.

Bob Roarman
08-16-2011, 09:44 AM
I trusted Luis Vizcaino more than Marte in 2005. 2005 also had a bad Shingo Takatsu and an injured Dustin Hermanson (who was good when healthy).

And then 2 great seasons by Politte and Neal Cotts, along with Jenks coming along. Like I said, easy to be overshadowed. I have no bad feelings either way about Marte, at least not from what I know. Don't know if he was a bad clubhouse guy, and no one else here does either. Middle relief is always a coin flip from season to season, they are always the "worst" pitchers on the team, you just hope they have a decent season. Sox got lucky and had 3 of them who had career years at the same time and then they all promptly left baseball afterwards.