PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-13-11 Actual Comeback Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, we came back. Against the Royals. At home. Isn't life grand?

Zakath
08-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Back to within one of .500.

We'll have to see if the heat of mediocrity forces the Sox to pull back from the brink.

Just think - We're one win and one loss from being 60-61, at which point we'll need the cardboard cutout of Jerry Reinsdorf in the locker room for the players to peel off a piece after every win.

HarryChappas
08-13-2011, 11:19 PM
No Rios + No Dunn = Victory!!!

manders_01
08-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Snapped the 7-game home losing streak! :bandance: Way to go Sox!!! :bandance:

DumpJerry
08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Peter Gammons can go back to Boston.

It was the music.

soxfan1965
08-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Good win. Royals are tough. Nice save in the 9th, good reason, because their two big guns were coming up.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Well...

It beats another loss to one of the worst teams in baseball I guess.

Lip

Crooked Number
08-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Watched from the third inning to the end on the treadmill at the gym. Talk about pure frustration. People were looking at me every five to ten minutes because I would yell out while watching terrible baseball.

They finally got a 2 out hit with risp. Just think how good the record would be if they just got a few clutch hits. The 1 run with the bases loaded and one out is how you lose games. They somehow held onto this one.

Jake had a great meltdown inning there giving up 4 runs. Just brutal. It's very difficult to point out the positives with this club. Just please win a series at home against the worst team in the division. Please.

Edit - pointing out the positives just makes this season more frustrating. Like posting 2nd best team ERA in the American League since the break. Only the Rangers have a better team ERA. Imagine that, a third place team has the 2nd best earned run average in the AL. Absolutely pathetic.

Foulke You
08-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Nice job by Paulie and TCQ doing what they are paid to do. Congrats to Flowers on HR #1. Let's hope it is the first of many for us. My goodness does this team struggle to put teams away though. We have come up with the bases loaded about 5 times this series and have only scored one run on a base on balls where the pitcher couldn't find the strike zone with a road map.

Let's take the series tomorrow from these clowns. Need a big outing from Danks and maybe we can get some help from Baltimore and Minnesota.

Foulke You
08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
They finally got a 2 out hit with risp. Just think how good the record would be if they just got a few clutch hits. The 1 run with the bases loaded and one out is how you lose games. They somehow held onto this one.
If we can just keep this offense luke warm, we are going to win some ball games with this pitching staff. On most days, 4 or 5 runs is good enough for a win. The problem has been 50% of our games, we score 3 or less.

Also, Peavy ran into some bad luck in that 4 run inning. A couple were hit hard but a few were just bloops. I wasn't happy with the slider away to Butler even though it was far out of the zone. I felt busting him inside where he couldn't get his arms extended could have induced a pop up. Regardless, Peavy took us deep in the game and gave us a chance to win which is all we can ask.

asindc
08-13-2011, 11:44 PM
I am firmly convinced that if Dunn had played in this game, the Sox would have lost. Take heed, Ozzie.

:bandance: for the win!

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Just got home from the wet ballpark. Was nice to finally see a home win.

The 300 level is very cool, by the way. Steve Stone walked right past me. :D:

PalehosePlanet
08-14-2011, 12:30 AM
The good: Not sure if Tyler has been calling all of the pitches -- I haven't seen him looking to the dugout at all -- but if so he's doing a solid job. At the very least he's getting some playing time which will help him next year. AJ is getting older and he won't be able to catch as many games next year, so we'll need Tyler to step in and help both offensively and defensively. So far I like what I see.

Nice job by Jesse getting out two jams, one of his own making, and Sale was downright nasty to finish it off. Paulie got us on the board, and Q finally got a big hit at home.

The bad: Omar has lost his range completely, weather at SS or 2B and doesn't have the arm strength to turn DP's. He offers nothing offensively either. It's time for the old warrior and future HOF'er to hang 'em up for good.

Also we're playing two men short right now and a roster move should me made ASAP.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2011, 12:47 AM
...we're playing two men short right now and a roster move should me made ASAP.What do you suggest?

GlassSox
08-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Just got home from a long wet evening at the ball park. Great to get the win but there were many missed opportunities by the offense. Nice fire works also.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2011, 12:56 AM
The Sox have almost won the 60 or so games any team will win in a year.

The Sox have lost the 60 or so games any team will win in a year.

We'll see what they do with the last 40.

I at least hope they can win 23 of them.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
08-14-2011, 02:21 AM
What do you suggest?

1) Put Dunn on the bereavement list, which is 7 days, let him get his affairs in order, and his head cleared after suffering a death in the family. Bring up Viciedo to DH.

2) Release Omar and bring up Tyler Kuhn to be the utility man. He can play 2B, 3B, SS and OF and has good speed and could provide a spark even in a limited role. If he proves that he can't handle it and needs more time in the minors, so be it, Omar is done and won't be here next year anyway.

After Dunn returns, send down either De Aza or Lillibridge for two weeks before the rosters expand.

voodoochile
08-14-2011, 02:29 AM
1) Put Dunn on the bereavement list, which is 7 days, let him get his affairs in order, and his head cleared after suffering a death in the family. Bring up Viciedo to DH.

2) Release Omar and bring up Tyler Kuhn to be the utility man. He can play 2B, 3B, SS and OF and has good speed and could provide a spark even in a limited role. If he proves that he can't handle it and needs more time in the minors, so be it, Omar is done and won't be here next year anyway.

After Dunn returns, send down either De Aza or Lillibridge for two weeks before the rosters expand.

I think the Sox might prefer to have Omar's leadership if nothing else if by some chance they make the playoffs (still a possibility). Also, I'm not sure the fact he had two off nights defensively in a row is proof he is toast. He may not have the range of Ramirez or Beckham anymore but he still plays a very solid infield defense and can still do the little things with the bat that the team might need. If Kuhn is going to be all that and a bag of chips he can start proving it when the rosters expand.

LITTLE NELL
08-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Its nice to win but when is the last time we had a no-brainer. This team has scored 10 runs or more only 3 times this year. Pretty sad. Our only hope is that the law of averages kick in soon.

hawkjt
08-14-2011, 06:36 AM
I have come to almost just accept that KC is not a good matchup for the Sox. They hit very well,and they run very well. The Sox give up the running game,and do not hit very well. So the pitching edge the Sox normally have just does not hold against KC. The key is that other teams hit KC pitching so much better than the Sox,period.

OK,that said, Sox need to find a way to win today,which would get them to 5-6 vs KC. Still play them another 7 times in late september(yikes) so the Sox must still take this season series by going like 6-2 down the stretch. Hard to see how the Sox win this division without beating KC.
Unless they sweep the Tigers and Indians,of course...wins is wins.:smile:

Despite his one bad inning,I do think it is clear that Jake is climbing the ladder. 115 pitches,throwing 93 mph...all good signs. Again,KC has a lineup full of line drive hitters,the Sox have hardly any.

Carlos's double was HUGE! This lineup has been nothing but PK,Carlos,AJ and Juan the last 40 games,it seems,with a little Alexei and Brent thrown in. Like half a lineup basically. Gordo,Dunn,Rios...not so much. The lack of clutch hitting is just beyond frustrating,even for the guys who are chipping in...hitting with RISP is the whole difference...Tigers and Tribe are getting it,Sox are not.

Sale is scary good at times. I am very hesitant to ever take him out of the bullpen. Between Sergio and Sale, Sox have world series quality back end of the bullpen.

Sunday win,please.

doublem23
08-14-2011, 06:42 AM
What do you suggest?

http://hotcarstv.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/viciedostart.jpg

Zakath
08-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Its nice to win but when is the last time we had a no-brainer. This team has scored 10 runs or more only 3 times this year. Pretty sad. Our only hope is that the law of averages kick in soon.

And all of those were in the first two months of the year. 62 straight games scoring less than 10.

October26
08-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Congrats to Tyler Flowers on hitting his first MLB home run! :bandance:

Kudos to the Sox for getting that comeback win last night. The game was frustrating to watch but all that matters in the end is that the Sox got the win.

Need a solid outing from Johnny Danks today + some White Sox offense. Go Sox!

Chez
08-14-2011, 09:41 AM

I believe both are out of options and would have to clear waivers if we wanted to retain them in our system. Lillibridge would likely get claimed off waivers. Dunn to the bereavement list sounds good, but I think the player has to consent to it. He may be kind of sad but not bereaved for 7 days!

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2011, 12:02 AM
After Dunn returns, send down either De Aza or Lillibridge for two weeks before the rosters expand.They're out of options on Lillibridge, and he'd surely never clear waivers. He'd get snapped up in a second. And either DeAza or Lillibridge brings much more flexibility to the lineup than Viciedo would.