PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano Thinking about Retiring

all*star quentin
08-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Zambrano gave up five homers and throws at Chipper Jones before being ejected.

CSNChi_Beatnik (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/CSNChi_Beatnik)

Zambrano cleans out locker and tells people
within clubhouse he's thinking of retiring.

EMachine10
08-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Something is not right with him.

thomas35forever
08-12-2011, 09:49 PM
The more he makes headlines, the more I'm glad he's not on our team.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Trib story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0813-cubs-braves-chicago--20110813,0,2460261.story) confirms this account.

Brian26
08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm just laughing my ass off at Hendry right now. What a circus.

And Quade's talking about his guys "battling their butts off", which, in other words, is garbage time victories to try to save his own job while he's not even playing the young guys they should be playing (Reed Johnson getting starts over Colvin).

Bobby Thigpen
08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Zambrano crazily and stupidly blows up?

Shocking!

TDog
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
My reflex is to suggest he take Adam Dunn with him.

Of course, Carlos Zambrano won't retire until after the Cubs pay him his, what?, $18 million next season.

Scottiehaswheels
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Trade Dunn for him and let him dh? Half teal?

Soxman219
08-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Trade Dunn for him and let him dh? Half teal?

I'm for it.

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Carlos let his emotions do the talking tonight, I bet, and he recants what he said by tomorrow.

tstrike2000
08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Go ahead.

StillMissOzzie
08-12-2011, 11:05 PM
So if Z retires, are the Cubs out from under that horrible contract? If so, no wonder they are "respecting his wishes and moving forward" - quickly, before he changes his mind.

SMO
:gulp:

DrCrawdad
08-12-2011, 11:28 PM
So if Z retires, are the Cubs out from under that horrible contract? If so, no wonder they are "respecting his wishes and moving forward" - quickly, before he changes his mind.

SMO

I believe you are right.

PalehosePlanet
08-12-2011, 11:36 PM
The drama machine keeps pumping out drama.

He'll apologize tomorrow, and Q ball will have no option but to take him back. Maybe they'll suspend him for a few games (not sure what the MLBPA rules are in regards to team imposed suspensions) to teach him a lesson he'll never learn.

The Cubs should get their money back from the anger management program he attended last year.

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2011, 11:40 PM
In spite of not being as good as he has been, doens't Zambrano have too much gas left in the tank to retire now?

soxfanreggie
08-12-2011, 11:51 PM
The drama machine keeps pumping out drama.

He'll apologize tomorrow, and Q ball will have no option but to take him back. Maybe they'll suspend him for a few games (not sure what the MLBPA rules are in regards to team imposed suspensions) to teach him a lesson he'll never learn.

The Cubs should get their money back from the anger management program he attended last year.

I would find it hard for the MLBPA to argue in front of any mediator that his conduct has not been detrimental to the team. I'd suspend him at least 5-10 games...maybe the MLB will do it for them.

Cubs should offer to pay his moving expenses and buy him a nice retirement gift if it means saving on his massive contract.

CHISOXFAN13
08-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Carlos let his emotions do the talking tonight, I bet, and he recants what he said by tomorrow.

You think his teammates are going to be fine with that? He quit twice tonight. He wanted nothing to do with being out there so he threw at Jones twice then left after the game.

Adios.

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I bet this was his last Cubs apperance. But come Spring Training 2012, he'll be in someone else's uniform in Florida or Arizona.

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I think there is more to retiring than just saying "I'm done," and I am sure that come tomorrow he will realize that he cost himself $18 million and will be back. I think he will probably be released and it will be a repeat of the whole Sosa thing.

samurai_sox
08-13-2011, 12:53 AM
(crosses fingers that Rios will get the same idea)

Dan H
08-13-2011, 01:19 AM
You think his teammates are going to be fine with that? He quit twice tonight. He wanted nothing to do with being out there so he threw at Jones twice then left after the game.

Adios.

Quitter is a great term for him. Even Adam Dunn keeps trying. Doesn't get anywhere but keeps trying. The Cubs stink but I don't see them quitting. That is except for Zambrano.

gobears1987
08-13-2011, 06:18 AM
I love AJ making fun of Z in his comments last night.

C-Dawg
08-13-2011, 07:47 AM
As much as I despise Zambrano (I can't think of a player that I loathe more - maybe Manny Ramirez?) - I can't decide which I'd prefer: Him retiring and missing out on his fat salary, or his return next year for the Cubs and continuing his act of buffoonery and ranting while the Cubs pay him his fat salary.

Viva Medias B's
08-13-2011, 08:14 AM
I love AJ making fun of Z in his comments last night.

What did he say?

Soxman219
08-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I think a change in scenery would be great for him.

Foulke You
08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think it would help this guy. He just doesn't have the mental makeup for it. He is too emotional and erratic and you can't be that way on a Major League mound and expect to have success.

Red Barchetta
08-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm for it.

So am I! We would only see Z once every 5-6 days, whereas we see Dunn almost every day.

southside rocks
08-13-2011, 03:20 PM
(crosses fingers that Rios will get the same idea)

Dare to dream! :tongue:

Lip Man 1
08-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Z won't be around for awhile:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-in-talks-with-zambranos-agent-20110813,0,7994004.story

The long gray line continues LOL...from Zambozo, to Barrett to Bradley, to Ramirez to Soriano. But what did you expect for the franchise that gave you the "college of coaches?"

You gotta love that "tradition!"

Lip

vinny
08-13-2011, 06:06 PM
What did he say?
It was just the tail end (really, the last few seconds) of his CSN interview:

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/whitesoxvideo?PID=6cLLTB-aUb5bjFVR2qofkXDP1Yd09WIy0N0f9qK

He was asked if he would retire, and laughed and said no, his wife wouldn't let him.

Zisk77
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I agree, a nice padded cell could do him wonders.:redneck

34rancher
08-13-2011, 07:00 PM
You think Ryan Dempster is tired of his antics from this article? (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6859394/chicago-cubs-place-carlos-zambrano-disqualified-list)

And to get ejected on Bobby Cox night....How perfect, Bobby had to appreciate the ejection in his honor...lol

Soxfest
08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
This is a case where the player union saving him again time after time. :angry:

voodoochile
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM

SMO

It's not as easy to retire from baseball as to rage quit your locker. There is a ton of paperwork to go through and it isn't official until that happens.

This is a case where the player union saving him again time after time. :angry:

That's their job. Of course they are going to appeal what amounts to a $3M penalty.

Edit: However I do agree Z's act is way past old. I can't see a single real flubbie fan defending his actions. I also think it's way past time to drop the "Big Z" nickname. He isn't earning it anymore.

DumpJerry
08-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Ozzie defended him today.

So, Big Z gets 30 days off without pay. Did not know there was a DQ List in MLB.

thomas35forever
08-13-2011, 10:49 PM
So, Big Z gets 30 days off without pay. Did not know there was a DQ List in MLB.
Apparently, not many other people did until today.

ernie14
08-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't understand - DISQUALIFIED List

Disqualified from what? Post season play?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM

It's just a way of saying "you're suspended for 30 days without pay".

StillMissOzzie
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
It's not as easy to retire from baseball as to rage quit your locker. There is a ton of paperwork to go through and it isn't official until that happens.

I know it's not official until the paperwork gets filed. And in a related story, Z's agent Barry Praver now says Zambrano "is not in retirement mode". Would he still be due his agent fee should Zambrano really walk away?

SMO
:?:

MeteorsSox4367
08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Ozzie defended him today.

Unless I misunderstood him - which is entirely possible - on his pregame radio show Saturday night, Ozzie said that one of the reasons for Zambrano's behavior is the media and having to answer questions from them.

Really? I know Zambrano and Ozzie are friends, but c'mon.

vinny
08-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Disqualified from playing with any major or minor league team until he is removed from the disqualified list.

WhiteSox5187
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Unless I misunderstood him - which is entirely possible - on his pregame radio show Saturday night, Ozzie said that one of the reasons for Zambrano's behavior is the media and having to answer questions from them.

Really? I know Zambrano and Ozzie are friends, but c'mon.

I saw bits from the interview and I thought that Ozzie was kinda saying Zambrano is well, crazy. Ozzie also said that he wouldn't tolerate that on his team but he DID understand where Zambrano was coming from with wanting to quit.

soltrain21
08-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I saw bits from the interview and I thought that Ozzie was kinda saying Zambrano is well, crazy. Ozzie also said that he wouldn't tolerate that on his team but he DID understand where Zambrano was coming from with wanting to quit.

Life is just so hard for those two.

WhiteSox5187
08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Life is just so hard for those two.

To be honest, if all Zambrano did was go into the clubhouse and think "Maybe I should quit," I would understand that. There are a lot of things that I do that when I suck at them I think "I should quit..." I think THAT is what Ozzie was referring to.

soxfanreggie
08-14-2011, 09:18 PM

I think he needs to go to a small market team like KC, Pitt (likely not there since in the same division), Tampa, or Oakland. Cubs can pay $13 or 14 million of the $18 million left and they can get a guy who can win them 10-15 games a year. I don't think he will reach his career high of 18 again, but I could see a 14-10 or 13-8 type year out of him.

The problem - even a change of scenery might not be able to change him. Maybe working with someone like Joe Maddon would help him. He needs a lot of help, but he has to change from within first.

While the players union will file their grievance, if I got to be the mediator, I would not side with them. If I "had" to knock it down, it would at least still be two weeks. MLB should step in and issue their own suspension on this one. This guy is way past his three strikes here.

Doesn't sound like his teammates want him back at all.

thomas35forever
08-15-2011, 06:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6864438/chicago-cubs-pitcher-carlos-zambrano-wants-remain-cubs
Looks like Shammy sent some text support along with Ozzie.

Madvora
08-16-2011, 07:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/6864438/chicago-cubs-pitcher-carlos-zambrano-wants-remain-cubs
"I'm being paid $18 million a year and I feel like I'm pitching like a $2 million dollar a year pitcher."
$2 million! Only the worst of the worst employees should be paid $2 million.

DrCrawdad
08-16-2011, 08:33 AM

That makes sense as Sammy no doubt has sympathy for Zambrano. Sammy knows how the Cubbies roll - enable for years then throw you under the bus when it suits the suits purposes.

http://crnabiz.com/site/sites/default/files/Under_The_Bus_Sign-300.jpg

g0g0
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Was hoping he would just retire but we aren't that lucky. His statements just say "Pay me." Cubs need to clean house and as long as they have these over-the-top salaries from these players not producing, they'll be getting criticism. Just like any other team...

Risk
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
The whole thing that gets me is that this guy essentially threw yet another temper tantrum like a two-year old would when something went wrong or he didn't get what he wanted.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't had a lousy day at work or questioned whether they wanted to quit their job and do something else, but when its all said and done, one shouldn't have a Chernobyl-like meltdown in front of their co-workers like that--it reeks of both immaturity and unprofessionalism.

Risk

VMSNS
08-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Gordon Wittenmeyer, Chicago Sun Times beat writer, was on 670WSCR this morning and speculated that Zambrano has probably thrown his last game in a Cub uniform. He said Zambrano will be out for the rest of the season, and that Hendry will most likely eat the entire last year of the contract to get rid of him next season. He also said that the general attitude in the clubhouse is that the players are sick of making excuses for Big Z's meltdowns, and that they are no longer defending him. For what it's worth, he also expects Hendry will survive this season and return as GM.

GoGoCrede
08-16-2011, 12:03 PM
"I'm being paid $18 million a year and I feel like I'm pitching like a $2 million dollar a year pitcher."
$2 million! Only the worst of the worst employees should be paid $2 million.

He's really making us feel horrible for him, isn't he? Boo hoo.

CPditka
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Possible Z landing spots:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/unloading-carlos-zambrano.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Intersting that a good majority of the bad contracts out there are Current/Former Sox players and targets.

-Teahen
-Uribe
-Rowand
-Figgins
-Rios
-Dunn
-Brian Roberts

gobears1987
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/unloading-carlos-zambrano.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Intersting that a good majority of the bad contracts out there are Current/Former Sox players and targets.

-Teahen
-Uribe
-Rowand
-Figgins
-Rios
-Dunn
-Brian Roberts
Ignore everything from MLB Trade Rumors. It's a site run by Flub fans so of course they think Z can land somewhere. No one will take him.

Goose
08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Ignore everything from MLB Trade Rumors. It's a site run by Flub fans so of course they think Z can land somewhere. No one will take him.

Someone will take him if they only pay the minimum salary (assuming the Cubs let him go and pay his entire salary).

You can bet on that.

Bobby Thigpen
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Pretty simple solution to that that doesn't involve going after Chipper Jones and acting like a jack ass. Again.

Give $16million back to the Cubs.

Moses_Scurry
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM

-Teahen
-Uribe
-Rowand
-Figgins
-Rios
-Dunn
-Brian Roberts

I would gladly sit through a season of Zambrano as the Sox #5 if it meant Kenny could get rid of Rios and his contract. I wouldn't want them sending that much money along with Rios though.

Rios for Zambrano, straight up, no money changes hands. Make it happen Kenny!

Lip Man 1
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Kenny said he doesn't see "any kind of fit" for Z with Sox.

In other words, not no, but HELL no.

Lip

SI1020
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd rather bring back Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez than have this guy on the Sox.

Moses_Scurry
08-16-2011, 07:12 PM
The thought of the Sox having Alex Rios for three more years is vomit-inducing to me. I would happily suffer one year of having Zambozo as the fifth starter and occasional pinch hitter for Adam Dunn if it means getting Rios off the team. I dislike him that much.

NLaloosh
08-16-2011, 10:55 PM
If the cubs take dunn and his entire contract i would take zambrano and DH him every single day for next year.

it would be worthh it to get rid of dunn.

voodoochile
08-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Kenny said he doesn't see "any kind of fit" for Z with Sox.

In other words, not no, but HELL no.

Lip

Thank goodness...

Jimmy Piersall
08-17-2011, 11:32 AM
The thought of the Sox having Alex Rios for three more years is vomit-inducing to me. I would happily suffer one year of having Zambozo as the fifth starter and occasional pinch hitter for Adam Dunn if it means getting Rios off the team. I dislike him that much.

This.One year of grief and aggravation for us,3 for them.We both lose but they lose more.Not exactly a lovely scenario at all but i would look at it as a positive.Maybe Zambrano pitches his ass off looking for another long term deal from somebody.Maybe having this big slob as a part of the staff allows KW some flexibility if Burls doesn't come back.Or if he decides to move Danks or Floyd.Or when Peavy goes back on the DL at least twice.

aryzner
08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
If the cubs take dunn and his entire contract i would take zambrano and DH him every single day for next year.

it would be worthh it to get rid of dunn.
The sad thing about this idea is that had Zambrano DH'd instead of Dunn this year, we'd probably have gotten better production out of him.

Moses_Scurry
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
This.One year of grief and aggravation for us,3 for them.We both lose but they lose more.Not exactly a lovely scenario at all but i would look at it as a positive.Maybe Zambrano pitches his ass off looking for another long term deal from somebody.Maybe having this big slob as a part of the staff allows KW some flexibility if Burls doesn't come back.Or if he decides to move Danks or Floyd.Or when Peavy goes back on the DL at least twice.

Or if Humber shows to be a one year wonder. Or if Zach Stewart can't make it in the majors.

Jimmy Piersall
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Or if Humber shows to be a one year wonder. Or if Zach Stewart can't make it in the majors.

Yep.Let's cover all the ifs.And JR & KW get some $avings in there as well.