PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-11 Early Birds Get Worms; Sox take 3 of 4 from Orioles, 6-3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
It would have been nicer to sweep clean the bird cage, but a series win will do.

all*star quentin
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Love this team, when they're winning.

:)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Buehrle is nails. ****ing nails.

Good work by most of the offense to get ahead early and allow there to be a cushion when Buehrle had a slip-up.

Dunn needs to be benched right the hell now. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Soxfest
Nice road trip now let's win some games at home.

thomas35forever
Not the laugher we initially thought it would be, but the O's never really threatened after Markasis' homer. A 6-1 road trip is not too shabby. Let's take care of business at home now.

And by the way, Mark Buehrle is awesome.

ChicagoG19
08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Yay! This is fun. We'll pick up ground on someone, but I hope Cleveland can come back to be Detroit.

voodoochile
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Easy win is easy. 18 in a row now for BurlyMon is it? He's on some kind of otherworldly roll.

Another good game for Juan too and wheels or not, Paulie keeps on getting it done at the plate.

Now come home and win several more please...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

ChiSoxGal85
08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Buehrle pitches through the 8th, holds opponents to less than 3 runs again (for 18 straight games) = :superman:

Sergio sets a major league record for 25+ straight scoreless road appearances (according to Hawk) = :superman:

With enough offense to win the game...I'll take 3 of 4.

Now back home - let's pound the Royals!!! I'm going to tomorrow's game and hope to FINALLY witness (in person) the return to .500.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Good win, and probably second best series this season after the Twin's series. Need to get a sweep soon though. As Gil Favor would say, " We're burning daylight."

gosox41
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Good work by most of the offense to get ahead early and allow there to be a cushion when Buehrle had a slip-up.

Dunn needs to be benched right the hell now. He brings absolutely nothing to the table.

I was just talking about that today. If we are in a pennant race then we have to play our best everyday. Right now, unfortunately, Dunn is not our best. It's a dilemma because I am understand letting him play to hit his way out of this but on the flip side we're 117 games into the season.

If Dunn gets hot, he is our best option over De Aza, Lillibridge, Viciedo, and whoever else. But what are the odds of him getting hot? Should we DH a .240-.250 hitter with speed and a little pop or wait for the bug guns to come out?

Right now, I think it has to be taken day by day and go with whoever is playing the best. Bring up minor leaguers to pitch to Dunn. If he starts having good BP sessions or starts hitting better off the minor leaguers, then I'm all for trying him again in the everyday line up.

Bob

ElevenUp
08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Hopefully they can take some momentum back home. Nice game all around.

tstrike2000
08-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I was just talking about that today. If we are in a pennant race then we have to play our best everyday. Right now, unfortunately, Dunn is not our best. It's a dilemma because I am understand letting him play to hit his way out of this but on the flip side we're 117 games into the season.

If Dunn gets hot, he is our best option over De Aza, Lillibridge, Viciedo, and whoever else. But what are the odds of him getting hot? Should we DH a .240-.250 hitter with speed and a little pop or wait for the bug guns to come out?

Right now, I think it has to be taken day by day and go with whoever is playing the best. Bring up minor leaguers to pitch to Dunn. If he starts having good BP sessions or starts hitting better off the minor leaguers, then I'm all for trying him again in the everyday line up.

Bob

With 45 games left the odds are almost non existent.

Brewski
08-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Benching Dunn would be an a reasonable gesture, not an angry reaction. He's hopeless, at least for 2011. The guy hitting in front of him tonight looked pretty hopeless too. Still, the games we're out of it can be directly attributed to Thornton's blown saves before Ozzie gave up on him. This season should have been a cakewalk.

I had better not make a joke about Dunn leaving nothing at the table. It would be in bad taste. But I think the shape he's in has something to do with it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Still, the games we're out of it can be directly attributed to Thornton's blown saves before Ozzie gave up on him. This season should have been a cakewalk.

When you're only out by 3 or 4 games, there are plenty of games you can look back at as missed opportunities. Those April blown saves you cite, especially when bad fielding played a role, certainly stand out. I'd also point out the one-run losses to the Royals and Twins. They very easily could have 7 or 8 more wins right now.

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
We have a nine-game homestand coming up. We need to win 6 of the 9 games.

Then we need to win 1 of 2 in LAA and 2 of three in MIN, and then take 2 of 3 from the Twins at home to close out the month.

That would put us at 69-64 headed into September, when we have six with the Tigers, eight with the Indians, and all the rest against sub-.500 teams.

russ99
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Then we need to win 1 of 2 in LAA and 2 of three in MIN, and then take 2 of 3 from the Twins at home to close out the month.

That would put us at 69-64 headed into September, when we have six with the Tigers, eight with the Indians, and all the rest against sub-.500 teams.

Sounds real good. Let's do it! :D:

sox1970
08-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Sweep KC. We owe them a good ass kicking.

voodoochile
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Bob

Well against RHP he's hitting a slightly below league average .695 OPS. I think you continue to use him as he is in a platoon, moreso with PK unable to play defense as it gives the team more flexibility with late inning running assignments for example.

Brewski
08-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Well against RHP he's hitting a slightly below league average .695 OPS. I think you continue to use him as he is in a platoon, moreso with PK unable to play defense as it gives the team more flexibility with late inning running assignments for example.

His OPS is inflated by walks. He isn't producing ribbies. Walks don't produce ribbies. He's hurting the team. De Aza would give us more per the suggestion above, it's not a joke. Viciedo once he heals belongs at DH over Adam.

If this race gets real tight, Ozzie will bench him, IMO.

PalehosePlanet
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM

That's right we do. We need to set the tone by jumping on Chen tomorrow night like the good old days -- pre 2011, that is.

The Royals have never seen Zach Stewart before, so hopefully he'll pitch well again.

We finally beat a couple of teams on this road trip that we were supposed to beat. Now we need to do the same at home, no excuses.

The division is there for the taking. For all of Cleveland's late dramatic walk-off wins and their hot start, they're only one game ahead of us. Also, Detroit is just one bad week away from being in 3rd place, despite Verlander's herculean effort.

Hard to believe, that as lifeless as we've looked for some sustained stretches, that we still have a legit shot at take this thing.

rookie
08-11-2011, 10:41 PM
What a difference a week makes. Thank goodness, cause I need my Sox to be in it til the end. Glad they took care of this one early!:D:

Frater Perdurabo
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Once Paulie heals, he needs to go back to 1B most of the time, of course. I would still like him to DH about 1/3rd of the time, though. At that point, if Dunn is still struggling, I would use this rotation:

v. LHP: Paulie 1B; Quentin DH; Lillibridge RF
v. RHP: Paulie 1B/DH; Quentin RF; Dunn DH/1B

Brian26
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Sergio sets a major league record for 25+ straight scoreless road saves (according to Hawk) = :superman:

I think the record is 25 straight scoreless road appearances (not necessarily saves).

Lip Man 1
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Well now, we'll see if:

1. They can actually get over the .500 mark
2. They can actually win some home games

Lip

Tragg
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM

That should happen if we play well. I hope we play great and do better.

PushinWeight
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Can't believe this team is only 4 back. Without Paulie they are in 4th behind minny. Even hurt he is still the best player on the team.

doublem23
08-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to play their best baseball of the year.

Hope it clicks this homestand. Definitely going to try to get to the park at least twice this week.

ChiSoxGal85
08-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I think the record is 25 straight scoreless road appearances (not necessarily saves).
You are correct; I mis-heard Hawk. Heh. Thanks, I fixed it.

Soxman219
08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Please Sox, rip these teams to shreds this upcoming homestand.

ChiSoxGal85
08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Can't believe this team is only 4 back. Without Paulie they are in 4th behind minny. Even hurt he is still the best player on the team.
He really looks like he's in pain on basepaths. Wasn't he going to get an MRI when he got back to Chicago? I would just hate it if he has to go on the DL...

FielderJones
08-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I would just hate it if he has to go on the DL...

If Paulie goes on the DL the season is over. Even a crippled Paulie leaves a glimmer of hope for this team.

pudge
08-11-2011, 11:40 PM

I said this before, he is completely worthless in any MLB lineup right now. I'd rather see Lillibridge bunt four times - you have a better chance at productivity.

Nelfox02
08-11-2011, 11:57 PM
He really looks like he's in pain on basepaths. Wasn't he going to get an MRI when he got back to Chicago? I would just hate it if he has to go on the DL...

please no..........

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
If he were to go on the DL, could it be retroactive to when he was sat for a couple games?

doublem23
08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
If he were to go on the DL, could it be retroactive to when he was sat for a couple games?

No

hawkjt
08-12-2011, 12:41 AM
As long as PK hits like he has been,you have to run him out there.
With Chen and Francis on Friday and Sunday,Lilly has to be at 1st. Give Dunn a couple of days off this weekend.
Pierre is hitting almost .360 his last 40 games. His career splits indicated he hits over .300 in the second half,and it is happening yet again. All those who were shredding him and wanting him released have thankfully gone away from here. Keep it going,Juan!

MB is amazing. He is clearly the best Sox pitcher of the new milleum,and we may not see the likes of him anytime soon in a Sox uni. Bring him back for another three years,please!

Carlos,AJ,Alexei,PK,Juan and Brent got 13 hits...nice.Gordo,Alex and Adam...zero...we need at least one of those guys to chip in.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2011, 12:48 AM
If he were to go on the DL, could it be retroactive to when he was sat for a couple games?You can only make a DL assignment retroactive if the player hasn't played at all in the meantime.

shes
08-12-2011, 01:02 AM

Unfortunately, that's our best-case scenario at this point -- Dunn faces righties only. Lillibridge should have been given a shot to take Dunn's place in the lineup at least half the time months ago. The guy's got a near .850 OPS against both lefties and righties. If the sole objective is to win games, that's what would have happened. However, Dunn makes 30 times what Brent does, so that's end of story. Dunn gets to play.

I think it's time to break up Dunn and Rios as well. What the hell was Ozzie thinking batting them back-to-back in the first place?

On the plus-side, I love Mark Buehrle. :worship:

cards press box
08-12-2011, 01:04 AM
His OPS is inflated by walks. He isn't producing ribbies. Walks don't produce ribbies. He's hurting the team. De Aza would give us more per the suggestion above, it's not a joke. Viciedo once he heals belongs at DH over Adam.

If this race gets real tight, Ozzie will bench him, IMO.

Dunn's offense has been generally terrible but his walks are actually helpful. For example, Dunn's walk in the 3rd inning set up a two-run inning that was key to tonight's victory.

I agree with this. Until Konerko returns to full strength and resumes playing first base, the Sox really have no choice but to platoon Dunn and Lillibridge at first base. Boy, reading that last statement sure sounds funny! Here's hoping that Dunn has the type of comeback in 2012 that I think is possible.

As for tonight's game, what is there to say except

:winner

Foulke You
08-12-2011, 01:22 AM
We specifically owe Bruce Chen a good ass kicking. I don't think I could take a third straight dominating performance from that stiff. I want to see him chased by the 4th inning Friday night.

October26
08-12-2011, 07:30 AM
On the plus-side, I love Mark Buehrle. :worship:

+1. Not since Frank Thomas have I loved a Sox player as I do Mark Buehrle. I remember the first time my dad and I saw Buehrle pitch and if feels like it was yesterday. I hope the Sox re-sign Buehrle so that we can continue to enjoy seeing him in a White sox uniform for many years to come.

Oh and great series win for the Sox last night vs the O's! :bandance:Gotta give some love to all of our players, especially Paulie for playing through pain, Mark and Sergio for being lights out and AJ, Alexei, Brent, Carlos, and Juan for coming through in key situations. Honorable mention goes to Alex for stepping it up over the last week. Alex is looking good at the plate & in the field. :D: Don't stop now, boys! Go Sox!

Zakath
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
The division is there for the taking. For all of Cleveland's late dramatic walk-off wins and their hot start, they're only one game ahead of us. Also, Detroit is just one bad week away from being in 3rd place, despite Verlander's herculean effort.

Having 11 games left with the Toons is huge, because they have yet to show, despite their efforts against everyone else, that they can beat us.

Unless Detroit juggles their rotation, we will only see Verlander one more time, and that will be on September 12 at the Cell. Detroit only has one off-day between now and September 8, which doesn't leave them a lot of room to maneuver, unless they start pitching Verlander on 3 days' rest (frankly because without him on the mound, they suck). As a result, we should miss him during the series in Detroit September 2-4.

Chez
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Excellent road trip. Royals are a good offensive team. Sox need their starters to pitch well beginning with Stewart tonight. We can do this!

SSrep
08-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Having 11 games left with the Toons is huge, because they have yet to show, despite their efforts against everyone else, that they can beat us.

Unless Detroit juggles their rotation, we will only see Verlander one more time, and that will be on September 12 at the Cell. Detroit only has one off-day between now and September 8, which doesn't leave them a lot of room to maneuver, unless they start pitching Verlander on 3 days' rest (frankly because without him on the mound, they suck). As a result, we should miss him during the series in Detroit September 2-4.

Yeah and i can't imagine Verlander would start going on 3 days considering the workload he's putting in this year.

beasly213
08-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Paulie has always been one of my favorite players in Sox history behind Big Frank and Robin Ventura. But with this season and this stretch where he is basically playing on one leg.. I think he's taken over as my favorite Sox player of all time. He is a true leader and I've never been more proud that he plays for the White Sox.

Brewski
08-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Dunn's offense has been generally terrible but his walks are actually helpful. For example, Dunn's walk in the 3rd inning set up a two-run inning that was key to tonight's victory.

Cherry picking one walk as an example leaves me unconvinced as far as the big picture. He's supposed to be an RBI guy, not a leadoff man. He's not doing the job.

Tragg
08-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Cherry picking one walk as an example leaves me unconvinced as far as the big picture. He's supposed to be an RBI guy, not a leadoff man. He's not doing the job.

But he's not a big RBI guy; his walks mitigate the abject disaster to some small extent.

Foulke You
08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
But he's not a big RBI guy; his walks mitigate the abject disaster to some small extent.
He is not a big RBI guy THIS year but in his career he has been. The previous two seasons before joining the White Sox he put up a 38HR/105RBI and 38HR/ 103RBI. He also had a bunch of 40HR 100RBI seasons with the Reds. If you can blast 40 and drive in 100, that qualifies as an RBI man in my book. If Dunn was having that kind of year for us now, we'd be leading Detroit in this division.

ShooterMcGavin
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Mark Buehrle is having a fantastic season. 18 consecutive starts allowing 3 runs or less. He should have more than 10 wins.

11 consecutive seasons with double-digit wins and 44 IP away from 11 consecutive seasons with 200+ IP.