PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the fifth starter?

thomas35forever
08-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Humber has been shaky for about a month now and though Stewart has made only one start for us, I'd probably go with the guy who probably has more confidence right now.

JB98
08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Stick with Humber.

Is he a half-year wonder? Or is he a legitimate piece of our rotation moving forward?

Let's get the answer over the course of the next seven weeks.

Bucky F. Dent
08-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Adam Dunn. He knows a hell of alot about strikeouts!

Nelfox02
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Had to vote Churro Guy, but in all seriousness Humber.

LITTLE NELL
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Edwin Jackson should be the 5th starter, should have never been traded.

TDog
08-11-2011, 01:27 PM

You may be right. He was doing a good job despite the hatred for him displayed at WSI. Stewart certainly can't be counted on to take his place.

I don't know that Humber is a half-year wonder. Lately he hasn't been pitching as well, which happens to a lot of pitchers in the second half of the season. A full major league season can wear a pitcher down. I don't know if he simply is going through a dead-arm period and will rebound in September.

SI1020
08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
You may be right. He was doing a good job despite the hatred for him displayed at WSI. Stewart certainly can't be counted on to take his place.
I never cared much for Edwin Jackson but you're right, he did do just fine for a back end of the rotation guy. I wonder if in years to come some Sox fans may speak as lovingly about the two Jackson trades as they have about the two Swisher trades.

doublem23
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I don't know that Humber is a half-year wonder. Lately he hasn't been pitching as well, which happens to a lot of pitchers in the second half of the season. A full major league season can wear a pitcher down. I don't know if he simply is going through a dead-arm period and will rebound in September.

First off, let's get one thing straight, nobody "hated" Edwin Jackson. People hated the trade that netted us Edwin Jackson. That is a HUGE distinction.

Second, it's all in the past now anyways. Whatever you think of who "should" be here or "shouldn't" doesn't really matter, we're stuck with the team we have. Jackson pitched well for the Sox in his roughly 1-year stay, but otherwise, he is a wholly unimpressive pitcher. Guys don't bounce around to 7 or 8 teams for no reason. The emergence of Humber made one of the starters expendable, and Jackson was the perfect marriage of contract status and some talent, but not too much that he was the candidate to go.

shes
08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Humber was bound to come back down to Earth at some point. He wasn't going to maintain a sub-.230 BABIP all year. However, I still don't think he's as bad as he's been pitching lately.

I would say Stewart simply because I worry about Humber having a tired arm at this point. Is it too crazy to suggest that they both pitch on the same day, each about 4 or 5 innings?