PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-10 .215 hitting DH Reimold, Orioles peck Sox 6-4 in extras Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
This place is for the birds...

thomas35forever
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
What can I say except this really should not have happened? Then again, this is the 2011 White Sox, so maybe it should have.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
And would a split of this series really shock anyone here?

Frater Perdurabo
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Can you imagine how many more games we'd have won this year if our DH was hitting .215?

russ99
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Back to corpseball: 3/13 RISP. Dunn's 0-4, 3K, 5 LOB night sure didn't help.

Plenty of chances, but if you let a home team hang around long enough, you get burned.

34rancher
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Gotta bench Dunn. Playing 23 vs 27 outs is killing us.

JB98
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
And nights like tonight are why I'm not paying that playoff invoice. I don't care if they are only four games out. This team has spent the whole summer chasing mediocrity. The chase continues.

Soxman219
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Just win tomorrow I guess.

Jurr
Win tomorrow. Easy enough. This will come down to beating Detroit and Cleveland.

russ99
Can you imagine how many more games we'd have won this year if our DH was hitting .215?

No kidding, and it's even more glaring with Rios getting back on track. The one he scalded right at their LF could have won us this one if it were 5 feet to the right or left.

veeter
08-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Nice comeback. Dunn cannot see playing time anymore.

Malgar 12
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Plenty of chances, but if you let a home team hang around long enough, you get burned.

Why honestly does Dunn play? He is clearly no use. He's a sunk cost. Any hope of recovering some of the investment will come next year. Gluing his butt to the pine for the rest of this campaign will not effect his performance next year and it certainly brightens our dim hopes in the Central. If he's going to straighten himself out, it will happen over the winter and the spring. There is no point in wasting AB's on him...yet even after Ozzie threatens him with a benching it lasts one game.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM

Considering 4/13 would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the league and Sox's average with RISP, 3/13's actually not terrible. That's actually roughly what you would expect.

thomas35forever
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Maybe not just this season. How about never again?

doublem23
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
No kidding, and it's even more glaring with Rios getting back on track. The one he scalded right at their LF could have won us this one if it were 5 feet to the right or left.

Same thing with the line drive to end the 10th. Hit that ball right at the SS, unfortunately.

guillensdisciple
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Even though Viciedo is struggling right now I would still put him in there for Dunn. Only quibble is with that guy. Everything else was good. Don't know why Frasor is not doing well though.

russ99
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Why honestly does Dunn play? He is clearly no use. He's a sunk cost. Any hope of recovering some of the investment will come next year. Gluing his butt to the pine for the rest of this campaign will not effect his performance next year and it certainly brightens our dim hopes in the Central. If he's going to straighten himself out, it will happen over the winter and the spring. There is no point in wasting AB's on him...yet even after Ozzie threatens him with a benching it lasts one game.

Gotta agree with this.

The one or two game benchings don't seem to help anyway, Rios hit worse after his, it took 2 more weeks to get his swing right. Dunn hasn't looked good after days off either.

Either play him or sit him, don't waffle.

The only thing that's keeping him in IMO is he's our only other semi-reliable 1B since Paul can't play the field and may go on the DL this weekend, if he has that MRI.

Lillibridge is passable for an inning or two but we're asking for it if he plays there more often.

Soxfest
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Frasor is a typical Sox reliever now!

russ99
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Frasor is a typical Sox reliever now!

I thought he battled pretty well up until that gopher ball. The single was off a waste pitch way out of the zone.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Considering 4/13 would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the league and Sox's average with RISP, 3/13's actually not terrible. That's actually roughly what you would expect.

You keep saying this, but via your theory, there is like no difference between fist and last in baseball with RISP.

JB98
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Even though Viciedo is struggling right now I would still put him in there for Dunn. Only quibble is with that guy. Everything else was good. Don't know why Frasor is not doing well though.

Frasor has struggled whenever he's been asked to work a second inning. He got hit around last Sunday against Boston after finishing the eighth and going back out to work the ninth.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Frasor has struggled whenever he's been asked to work a second inning. He got hit around last Sunday against Boston after finishing the eighth and going back out to work the ninth.

It'll take Ozzie at least another three blowups to see that. Five to correct it.

Note: Not blaming Ozzie tonight.

PalehosePlanet
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
After a nice comeback to tie it in the 7th, we had the first two on in the 8th and failed to score. That's where this game was lost.

So much for 6 in a row and being on a roll.

Nelfox02
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I did not expect them to sweep all 4 here, advantage Tigers tomorrow with Verlander going......we need to win the game tomorrow simple as that. splitting with this team will just not work if the Sox finally want to be serious about contending.

Dunn was just flat out brutal, even hitting him 7 is just grating. Agree with all previous posts that there really is no reason to play him anymore

didnt KW come out at the deadline and say he numbers on the cotract dont me ****, he wants to see the guys playing that give this team the best chance to win day in day out?

Crooked Number
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
The Sox half of the 8th inning was one of the worst of the year. Especially the ugly, ugly two K's by Dunn and Beckham.

Like others have mentioned, this is a mediocre team. They have showed signs of what they could of been, what they were expected to be, but just aren't this year.

I totally agree that Dunn should take a seat for the remainder of the season. It's halfway into August, if you haven't figured it out by now, it's a lost cause. His at bats are detrimental to a team desperately trying to stay in a race.

If Dunn stays out I honestly think this team will perform better and win more games. I thought Frasor was excellent, until he lost his breaking ball during the Davis at bat. Him and Crain are very similiar. Good velocity, short in stature, but when they lose their breaking stuff, it's probably long ball time.

Win the series tomorrow, and then the White Sox are going to find out if they can finally play some ball at home.

Nelfox02
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
After a nice comeback to tie it in the 7th, we had the first two on in the 8th and failed to score. That's where this game was lost.

So much for 6 in a row and being on a roll.

very true----I thought for sure we were getting at least one in there.

wassagstdu
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Two evenly matched teams playing a close series.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Evenly matched? The Sox are two under, the O's are 24 under.

Doesn't sound even to me.

Sox are now 5-10 in extra inning games.

Lip

kittle42
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Ha, ha, ha, ha.

Even those of us who see the Sox for what they are know that they are superior to the damn Orioles. Please.

Crestani
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Gotta bench Dunn. Playing 23 vs 27 outs is killing us.

DirtySox
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM

Wat. The Orioles are pathetic. The Sox are at least close to average.

Nelfox02
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Sox are now 5-10 in extra inning games.

Lip

I agree we are a better team than Baltimore.....but I wonder what our record would be if we were in the AL East this year......

maybe it would even out since we dont have to play the Twins.....not like we play that well in the division anyway

Crestani
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think Dunn can see period..!!

Gavin
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Send De Aza down, call up Dayan, start him at DH. What is wrong with this? Rios is back in his game.

JB98
08-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Send De Aza down, call up Dayan, start him at DH. What is wrong with this? Rios is back in his game.

Konerko can't play 1B right now. He needs to DH.

shingo10
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Sox are terrible in extra inning games because they always start swinging for the fences. Therefore they never score and therefore they lose.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
The 8th inning was such a microcosm of this whole season offensively.

BainesHOF
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Same pinch-running nonsense from Guillen. You don't pinch run for Quentin and lose him for extra innings. It's not like he's super slow like Konerko. The percentages say Quentin's bat is much more likely to help you win in extra innings than De Aza's speed will help you win in regulation.

Such dim managing is a big reason why our record is atrocious in extra innings.

Listening to the postgame show on radio for the first time in awhile. Ranger is defending the pinch-running move. Such ridiculousness makes the show pointless to air. If the Sox and the Score want people to listen to it, find a host who can talk baseball with some degree of intelligence.

JB98
08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Sox are terrible in extra inning games because they always start swinging for the fences. Therefore they never score and therefore they lose.

I've seen them do that before, but I didn't feel that was the case tonight. Pierzynski hit an opposite-field double in the 10th, and Rios at least hit it hard in his attempt to drive AJ home. He was swinging for a single, but he hit it right to Hardy.

captain54
08-10-2011, 10:56 PM

You know you're right...we should expect to fail

I was bummed that the Sox lost a game they could have won tonite..but then I checked the scores and realized other teams lost too! And I thought, "hey we lost! No big deal!"

Brian26
08-10-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure De Aza's not just a younger version of DeWayne Wise at this point, but I like his hustle so far, and perhaps he's lit a fire under Rios' ass.

After seeing that Dunn strikeout, the Sox (if they even care at this point about trying to salvage this season and perhaps winning a hollow division title) have got to consider putting him on the DL and calling up Viciedo to DH. Dunn has to be removed from this team. He brings nothing to the table.

Brian26
08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Same pinch-running nonsense from Guillen. You don't pinch run for Quentin and lose him for extra innings. It's not like he's super slow like Konerko. The percentages say Quentin's bat is much more likely to help you win in extra innings than De Aza's speed will help you win in regulation.

In fact, it's so obvious that Comcast cameras were focusing on Quentin's face in the dugout as De Aza was whiffing on fastballs up in his eyes at the plate.

Brian26
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Konerko can't play 1B right now. He needs to DH.

Good point. Maybe Viciedo plays 1B.

JB98
08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Good point. Maybe Viciedo plays 1B.

Maybe, but the kid has been playing RF all year at AAA. Would be a tough transition for him. Then again, if he bats .240 and hits one HR every 10 games or so, that would be a massive upgrade over Dunn.

cards press box
08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure De Aza's not just a younger version of DeWayne Wise at this point, but I like his hustle so far, and perhaps he's lit a fire under Rios' ass.

After seeing that Dunn strikeout, the Sox (if they even care at this point about trying to salvage this season and perhaps winning a hollow division title) have got to consider putting him on the DL and calling up Viciedo to DH. Dunn has to be removed from this team. He brings nothing to the table.

I am hopeful that Dunn can refocus in the offseason and hopefully be comeback player of the year in 2012. As for 2011, however, I agree that Dunn is going nowhere fast. Putting Dunn on the DL and promoting Viciedo makes a great deal of sense.

Brian26
08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe, but the kid has been playing RF all year at AAA. Would be a tough transition for him. Then again, if he bats .240 and hits one HR every 10 games or so, that would be a massive upgrade over Dunn.

He played 1B last year. He'll be fine there.

Ozzie played Timo Perez, Pablo Ozuna and Jermaine Dye at 1B in 2005. I don't think Viciedo going back there on a semi-regular basis would be the end of the world.

I'm more worried about Konerko now, who looks like he can't even run the bases.

gosox41
08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
What can I say except this really should not have happened? Then again, this is the 2011 White Sox, so maybe it should have.

The team is a giant tease.

When (if) we get a few games above .500, I'll get my hopes up. But that may not be until 2012...if we're lucky.

Bob

JB98
08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
He played 1B last year. He'll be fine there.

Ozzie played Timo Perez, Pablo Ozuna and Jermaine Dye at 1B in 2005. I don't think Viciedo going back there on a semi-regular basis would be the end of the world.

I'm more worried about Konerko now, who looks like he can't even run the bases.

Viciedo has played 70 games at 1B at the minor-league level. He's made nine errors in those 70 games, so he would likely suck defensively. Of course, Dunn definitely sucks defensively so it might be an upgrade anyway.

Konerko had a couple awful ABs tonight. The game is hard enough to play when you're healthy. I'm definitely concerned.

VMSNS
08-10-2011, 11:11 PM
6 game losing streak followed by a 5 game winning streak. That right there should tell you how inconsistent this team is.

Anyway, not surprised by the outcome here. The Sox suck balls in extra-inning games. And Humber has been on a BIG slide lately. Maybe they should transfer him to the bullpen to maybe take the pressure off. Or just send him down to help him figure it out again.

soxfan1965
08-10-2011, 11:13 PM
After seeing that Dunn strikeout, the Sox (if they even care at this point about trying to salvage this season and perhaps winning a hollow division title) have got to consider putting him on the DL and calling up Viciedo to DH. Dunn has to be removed from this team. He brings nothing to the table. If ever they needed a Diminished Skills clause in a contract to exercise, it's now. Too bad.

JB98
08-10-2011, 11:13 PM
6 game losing streak followed by a 5 game winning streak. That right there should tell you how inconsistent this team is.

Anyway, not surprised by the outcome here. The Sox suck balls in extra-inning games. And Humber has been on a BIG slide lately. Maybe they should transfer him to the bullpen to maybe take the pressure off. Or just send him down to help him figure it out again.

I want to keep running him out there. The Sox need to find out whether Humber is a half-year wonder or a legitimate piece of their rotation moving forward.

Let's see if he can get a second wind and re-establish himself as a viable starter before the year is over.

PalehosePlanet
08-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I want to keep running him out there. The Sox need to find out whether Humber is a half-year wonder or a legitimate piece of their rotation moving forward.

Let's see if he can get a second wind and re-establish himself as a viable starter before the year is over.

Even though he's at about his career high in innings pitched for a year, I agree that he should stay in there.

Besides, if Grandpa only butchers one and not two balls in the 2nd inning, he gets out of that with inning with no runs scored instead of two; gives up 2 runs total over 6 innings; and we're talking about a nice bounce back win for him.

Oh, and that's another thing: Omar should no longer be playing SS for us unless it's the 17th inning of a game out of sheer desperation. Alexei needs to stay out there every inning until we're officially eliminated from the race.

Tragg
08-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Frasor's a middle reliever and did what middle relievers often do. Using high end resources for them is nutty (as Texas did twice this trading season - we'll see how it works out for them). I'd like to start getting some pitching prospects working, put them in relief for a season or 2, then move them into the rotation, a la Sale, hopefully.
How can you take Quentin out of this lineup?
Not a single at bat "Wasted" by walking against Oriole pitching.
DeAza's a bench outfielder...not sure if we have room for one of those right now.

tstrike2000
08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Good to see Rios back with a couple of hits and a run. We came back and that was also a pleasant surprise, instead of folding up the tent. It's unfortunate that it had to end with a hanger to a mediocre hitter.

slavko
08-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Listening to the postgame show on radio for the first time in awhile. Ranger is defending the pinch-running move. Such ridiculousness makes the show pointless to air. If the Sox and the Score want people to listen to it, find a host who can talk baseball with some degree of intelligence.

I don't usually question these pinch running moves, but this one...... Hawk and Steve called it when it happened, the cameras were backing them up. Rongey is an apologist, can't be taken seriously, the show's a bore.

kittle42
08-11-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't usually question these pinch running moves, but this one...... Hawk and Steve called it when it happened, the cameras were backing them up. Rongey is an apologist, can't be taken seriously, the show's a bore.

I fully expect to see weird bunting, silly pinch-running, giving up the DH voluntarily, and Dunn in the lineup tomorrow.

As bad as this team is, their manager only sets them up to fail even more easily.

doublem23
08-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Even those of us who see the Sox for what they are know that they are superior to the damn Orioles. Please.

The Sox should be superior to the Orioles, but we get to play the Tigers, Indians, Royals, and Twins 76 times per season while the O's get to play the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and Blue Jays.

We'd probably be 25 games under if we had their schedule.

doublem23
08-11-2011, 06:42 AM
You know you're right...we should expect to fail

I was bummed that the Sox lost a game they could have won tonite..but then I checked the scores and realized other teams lost too! And I thought, "hey we lost! No big deal!"

Oh, I know, in your little world anything less than a 1.000 BA with RISP is completely unacceptable because they SHOULD be able to do it, since, I guess, hitting a baseball is the easiest thing in the world to do, right?

If they win today, I'll be pretty all right. Taking 3 of 4 on the road is an accomplishment for a team like the Sox that's really not that good.

hawkjt
08-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Summary:

- Omar just does not have the range anymore,and it cost the Sox 2 runs in the 2nd,and the game ultimately. Sox have 3 days off in a two week span so resting Alexei should not have been necessary.

- No matter where they put him in the lineup,the key at bats seem to find Dunn. IMO, Lilly is better at first anyway,so screw it...play Lilly til he gets as cold at the plate as Dunn. They both strike out,but Lilly is faster if he does manage to get on base,and he has way better range in the field.

- As soon as Viciedo heats up at all,get him up here. DeAza can go down for 3 weeks and come back. These games til Sept 1 are vital,and cannot be messing around til then for all the firepower to be called up.

- Positives: they did hit the ball,and even had two out hitting by Morel and Juan in the 7th. Nice comeback. Alex is tatooing the ball.

- Pinch running for Carlos made me cringe also...but if DeAza scores the winning run,Ozzie looks smart. The problem is with two on,nobody out, Alex hits a rope,but in the 8th inning ,all tied,I think you play for one,and beg Alex to bunt...can he do it? He should be able to,period. Yea, I know that Dunn struck out anyway,but if I was ozzie,and Alex bunts them to 2nd and 3rd,I pinch hit Lilly and have him bunt DeAza to home to win the game. Screw hurt feelings at this point...this team needs to play with an urgent desperation,which means situational hitting and pinch-hitting to win a game..

- Frasor has looked good in one inning,then not so good. Hey,Ozz...take note,OK?

It was a nice comeback in a game I thought was gone,but nice does not win this division...just win! MB tonite,must win!

Zakath
08-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Summary:

- Omar just does not have the range anymore,and it cost the Sox 2 runs in the 2nd,and the game ultimately. Sox have 3 days off in a two week span so resting Alexei should not have been necessary.

He's looked good at 3B, but third doesn't require the same range of motion as SS. Omar's now good for replacing Beckham at 2B or Morel at 3B, but we'd have been better off to slide Beckham over to short and put Omar at second to give Alexei a night off.

- No matter where they put him in the lineup,the key at bats seem to find Dunn. IMO, Lilly is better at first anyway,so screw it...play Lilly til he gets as cold at the plate as Dunn. They both strike out,but Lilly is faster if he does manage to get on base,and he has way better range in the field.

I don't think it would be possible for Lillibridge to get as cold at the plate as Dunn is. He's not catching up to fastballs, which puts him behind in the count, then invariably he strikes out on low garbage out of the zone which he's having to chase to protect. You could live with 145K's if you were getting Ryan Howard-like numbers (Howard has 130 K's, but is hitting .252 with 25 HR and 91 RBI) but not when you're hitting .163.

Dunn's lack of effort on a ground ball not 5 feet to his right is all the indication that he can't field the position even as well as Lillibridge could.
Besides, would it really hurt us any more if Lillibridge hits 7th vs. Dunn hitting 7th?

- As soon as Viciedo heats up at all,get him up here. DeAza can go down for 3 weeks and come back. These games til Sept 1 are vital,and cannot be messing around til then for all the firepower to be called up.

I don't agree with sending de Aza down. If it was indeed the threat of de Aza going into CF that finally lit a fire under Rios, why remove the stick now?

Besides, de Aza's speed has opened up potential for this team that it didn't have.

MB tonite,must win!

+1. This one is big, independent of what happens in Cleveland tonight. It would be nice to see the Toons sweep the Tigers, because we have an easier time handling Cleveland, but we can't leave games on the table vs. weak teams with garbage pitching staffs.

Bucky F. Dent
08-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Kenny needs to head immediately to the clubhouse and have a brief conversation with Dunn and tell him: "You are of no use to this team right now. Pack up your stuff. Go home. Work on your swing. We'll see you in Arizona in February."

His plate appearances are like gory auto accidents anymore. .163 from your designated hitter. What a pathetic joke that is!

MarySwiss
08-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Kenny needs to head immediately to the clubhouse and have a brief conversation with Dunn and tell him: "You are of no use to this team right now. Pack up your stuff. Go home. Work on your swing. We'll see you in Arizona in February."

His plate appearances are like gory auto accidents anymore. .163 from your designated hitter. What a pathetic joke that is!

I actually laughed out loud after his first strikeout, when he had that surprised look on his face! What, like he never strikes out?

hawkjt
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I actually laughed out loud after his first strikeout, when he had that surprised look on his face! What, like he never strikes out?

His current vision of the strike zone is so skewed,he does not swing at pitches right down the middle like the first pitch in that at bat...90mph,straight,down the middle,and even on the pitch he was called out on...it was all over the plate,yet he thought it was a ball.

I simply cannot understand how he could struggle with the strike zone so much,unless his eyesight is somehow compromised. Send him to the eye doctor ,Kenny!

Jerko
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I fully expect to see weird bunting, silly pinch-running, giving up the DH voluntarily, and Dunn in the lineup tomorrow.

As bad as this team is, their manager only sets them up to fail even more easily.

I agree kittle. I don't even get upset about it anymore; it's just a regular facet of the game now.

Chez
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
After Pierre's hit to tie the game, I would have given him a chance to steal second. Odds are against Omar getting an extra base hit to drive in Juan from first. Instead, Omar bloops a single (which would have scored Pierre from second with the 5th run had Pierre successfully stolen 2B) followed by Paulie's inning ending ground out.

Win today and it's a 6-1 road trip. We can win this thing.

SSrep
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
We win tonight and this Baltimore series has us picking up .5 game on cleveland and 1.5 games on detroit...assuming verlander wins. It would be a great roadtrip.

But unfortunately, we then come back home :(:

amsteel
08-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Was following on my phone and when I saw Reimold come up I honest to god though to myself, 'this is exactly the type of guy to beat the Sox.'

Win today or the series is a waste.

kufram
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM

I wonder what the rules are here. I doubt if you can send a guy under contract home. I would imagine there are certain criteria and procedures that have to be followed. The players are a pretty unionized organization after all, aren't they? I would imagine a guy under contract has to be in the dugout and suited up at game time unless he's DL, DFA, etc

chisox12
08-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Or just tell him that they are putting his fat ass on the bench for the rest of the season. He is absolutely killing this team.

asindc
08-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Or just tell him that they are putting his fat ass on the bench for the rest of the season. He is absolutely killing this team.

I said this in another recent thread during the 5-game win streak: Not having Dunn in there changes the entire dynamic of the lineup. Without him, there is no automatic out that the opposing pitcher can pitch towards. Even Rios during his worst stretch would at least make contact, and now that he is back to stroking line drives to the gap others guys cannot be pitched around to get to him. I say sit Dunn indefinitely, but I've been saying that since June. Dunn's presence in the lineup makes it tougher for the other guys to do their jobs.

Rocky Soprano
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Ozzie's management is as bad as Dunn's bat.
What else do you expect from Ranger? The next time he says something intelligent it will be the first.

chisox12
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I said this in another recent thread during the 5-game win streak: Not having Dunn in there changes the entire dynamic of the lineup. Without him, there is no automatic out that the opposing pitcher can pitch towards. Even Rios during his worst stretch would at least make contact, and now that he is back to stroking line drives to the gap others guys cannot be pitched around to get to him. I say sit Dunn indefinitely, but I've been saying that since June. Dunn's presence in the lineup makes it tougher for the other guys to do their jobs.

Exactly. He's basically an automatic out and rarely does he have a productive out since he strikes out likes it's his job. I'm usually an Ozzie defender, but there's no defending him when he continues to put Dunn in the lineup.

kufram
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

This is an unnecessary personal insult. Dunn may be an anchor on the team but I'm sure everyone is aware of it and using terms like yours just weakens your argument in my opinion.

chisox12
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
This is an unnecessary personal insult. Dunn may be an anchor on the team but I'm sure everyone is aware of it and using terms like yours just weakens your argument in my opinion.

Sorry to offend you. Just my way of pointing out that he came into the season in terrible shape which has obviously impacted his performance this season.

kittle42
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

He's the hitting Bobby Jenks. If he hit two homers today, he would lose 5 pounds.

Gavin
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I think it's fair to critcize an athlete's weight and conditioning, considering they are paid to keep both up to speed.

Bucky F. Dent
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I wonder what the rules are here. I doubt if you can send a guy under contract home. I would imagine there are certain criteria and procedures that have to be followed. The players are a pretty unionized organization after all, aren't they? I would imagine a guy under contract has to be in the dugout and suited up at game time unless he's DL, DFA, etc

Long term bereavement leave. Mourning the loss of his swing.

In reality, you're probably right.

doublem23
08-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Ozzie's management is as bad as Dunn's bat.
What else do you expect from Ranger? The next time he says something intelligent it will be the first.

Nice personal attack. See you next week.

Chez
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Nice personal attack. See you next week.

Was Rocky attacking Ranger in his capacity as post-game host or Ranger as WSI poster? If Ozzie registered on WSI would he no longer be fair game to criticize? Dunn? Just asking? :D:

Domeshot17
08-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Was Rocky attacking Ranger in his capacity as post-game host or Ranger as WSI poster? If Ozzie registered on WSI would he no longer be fair game to criticize? Dunn? Just asking? :D:

I don't mean to question a mod, but I have wondered the same thing. We know some writers (I think Cowley) post or used to post here. People rip on him all the time. Can we get a definition on this. I mean, I have said stuff about Rongey the host before, but I am just not sure.

LITTLE NELL
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM

September 1st can't get here soon enough. We then will have Viciedo and a few others up here and Dunn can sit at the end of the bench for the rest of the year. Hopefully we will still be in the race and the only problem after that is if we get to the playoffs would Dunn be on the playoff roster.

captain54
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM

I don't think this is really fair. There's no question that Ranger is an intelligent guy, I'd just like to hear Ranger the fan more often than Ranger the company man.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Phil Rogers has also posted here in the past.

Lip

kufram
08-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Yeah, Dunn's swing is definitely conspicuous by it's absence. You make a good joke. I do think the the situation is much more difficult to deal with than some of us think. Who has a plan for when your huge contract signing arrives and manages to contribute virtually nothing and, even worse, kill every opportunity that presents itself?

One thing I know for sure... if Dunn was hitting home runs like he has every other year of his career no one would be calling him fat. Is Dunn any heavier now than he was during the many years of over 30 home runs?

Carolina Kenny
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I'll bet Harold Baines could still hit better than Dunn has this year.

kufram
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I think it's fair to critcize an athlete's weight and conditioning, considering they are paid to keep both up to speed.

Of course it is fair to exact fair criticism. But Dunn is a baseball player not an athlete! .... I've always wanted to use that quote from Bull Durham.

Seriously, Dunn is paid to hit Home Runs, Walk, and Strike Out... hopefully in that order. That is what he's always done before now. No one can explain why it has gone wrong this year and I understand the frustration because I'm frustrated myself, but anger and abuse is just anger and abuse... nothing more.

Harry Chappas
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM

I would think 1st would be an easier position for Viciedo. He broke in at Third (badly, but still), but he can at least field a ground ball. I'm not sure we'd lose much defensively, if anything, with him at 1st over Dunn.

This season is maddening on so many levels. This team COULD still make a run but not with Dunn getting regular playing time. At this point, anyone capable of hitting .250 who makes decent contact would be a massive upgrade offensively. This can be accomplished with any of our utility players already on the roster or by bring Viciedo up.

If the Sox are worried about damaging Dunn's psyche, I'd argue that it's already damaged to the point where it might be in his best interest to watch the rest of the season from the bench.

Crestani
08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Of course it is fair to exact fair criticism. But Dunn is a baseball player not an athlete! .... I've always wanted to use that quote from Bull Durham.

Seriously, Dunn is paid to hit Home Runs, Walk, and Strike Out... hopefully in that order. That is what he's always done before now. No one can explain why it has gone wrong this year and I understand the frustration because I'm frustrated myself, but anger and abuse is just anger and abuse... nothing more.

Well then, he is definitely earning his money..!!

#1swisher
08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Adam Jones and Ozzie exchange words.

Orioles Insider (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/08/adam_jones_and_ozzie_guillen_e.html?utm_source=ble acherreport.com&utm_medium=referral)

FielderJones
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Adam Jones and Ozzie exchange words.

Orioles Insider (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/08/adam_jones_and_ozzie_guillen_e.html?utm_source=ble acherreport.com&utm_medium=referral)

Only worth drilling in an IBB situation. Save three pitches in count.

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM

I don't mean to question a mod, but I have wondered the same thing. We know some writers (I think Cowley) post or used to post here. People rip on him all the time. Can we get a definition on this. I mean, I have said stuff about Rongey the host before, but I am just not sure.You can criticize. You can disagree. What you can't do is make it personal, which is what Rocky did. Very simple concept. If Doub hadn't whacked him already, I would have.

Ranger comes in here as a regular poster, and engages in give and take all the time. We've even allowed a little more leeway because he's shown he's a big boy who can take it. This comment was gratuitous and unnecessary.

BainesHOF
08-11-2011, 06:30 PM
- Pinch running for Carlos made me cringe also...but if DeAza scores the winning run,Ozzie looks smart.

Only to the dumb.