PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Ticket invoices are out

Harry Potter
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
What a coincidence. White Sox go on this 5-game winning streak and the playoff ticket invoices are posted online.

Prices for Lower Reserved are $50 (ALDS), $80 (ALCS), and $175 (WS); Parking is $30 and the always popular "handling fee" of $30.

Full Pay Option – Pay for all potential Postseason games and parking in full now.

Auto Pay Option – Pay for all potential Division Series and American League Championship Series games and parking now. By choosing this option, you give the Chicago White Sox permission to charge the amount due for potential World Series games and parking to the same credit card on the day after the Chicago White Sox clinch a spot in the 2011 Postseason.

mrfourni
08-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Let me guess, there's a non-refundable "shipping and handling" fee that goes along with it?

If I remember correctly now, the White Sox have charged season ticket holders for playoffs in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, with ticket holders giving the Sox a no-interest loan in 3 of those years so far.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Ha, ha, ha.

Gavin
08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
$50 for lower level playoff tickets!?? Where do I send my money?

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Why are World Series tickets over double the price of ALCS tickets? That pricing is so screwed up.

hi im skot
08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Why are World Series tickets over double the price of ALCS tickets? That pricing is so screwed up.

Because it's the World Series.

JB98
08-10-2011, 06:11 PM
LOL. I'm not paying a playoff ticket invoice for a team that hasn't seen the sunny side of .500 in four months.

DumpJerry
08-10-2011, 06:23 PM

I'm out of town right now, so I don't have access to my ticket sheets from previous years, but this is a lower priced invoice than in the past. IIRC, in the past, the World Series was $250.00 for my seats, now they are $225.00. I think the ALDS and ALCS tickets are a little bit less, too. I guess Bud & Co. are reacting to the reality of the economy.

hi im skot
08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm out of town right now, so I don't have access to my ticket sheets from previous years, but this is a lower priced invoice than in the past. IIRC, in the past, the World Series was $250.00 for my seats, now they are $225.00. I think the ALDS and ALCS tickets are a little bit less, too. I guess Bud & Co. are reacting to the reality of the economy.

It makes sense that tickets are so expensive for the World Series as well; MLB is throwing tickets around to all of their big wigs and corporate partners. And of course Fox takes a bunch of tickets as well so they can do in-game shots of Seth McFarlane or someone from Glee pretending to give a **** about the game.

DumpJerry
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
It makes sense that tickets are so expensive for the World Series as well; MLB is throwing tickets around to all of their big wigs and corporate partners. And of course Fox takes a bunch of tickets as well so they can do in-game shots of Seth McFarlane or someone from Glee pretending to give a **** about the game.
Um...it's the World Series and they're used to paying those prices at Yankee Stadium already.

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
There was never that much of a discrepancy when I had season tickets.

34rancher
08-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Don't you know? These are the super duper Dynamic PREMIUM tickets. This is where they only have 2,000 show up, but they made so much money that they don't care that the average fan ordered them as the game time got closer.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Seriously, plus, I'm pretty sure MLB prices playoff tickets, not the individual teams. $175 for a World Series ticket seems like its cheap as hell, I'm sure that ticket would get double (at the very, very least) on the open market.

Gavin
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
WS tickets in '05 were selling for $1000+ on stubhub, and those weren't even great seats.

BainesHOF
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
$50 for lower reserved? It must not be a premium game.

Milw
08-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Please forgive me if this somehow violates WSI policy, but I'll buy the rights to your playoff ticket invoice if you don't want to bother...

Brian26
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Please forgive me if this somehow violates WSI policy, but I'll buy the rights to your playoff ticket invoice if you don't want to bother...

What do you presume that would cost?

JB98
08-10-2011, 11:44 PM

What do you presume that would cost?

In all honesty, any poster who believes they have enough money to buy the rights to another poster's playoff invoice should just purchase his/her own season-ticket plan.

ChiSoxGirl
08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
They seriously had the gall to send out playoff invoices?!

JB98
08-11-2011, 12:00 AM

They always invoice us around this time if the team is within reasonable distance of first place.

Despite my personal feelings about this year's club, they are within reasonable distance of first place. So, I understand why they are invoicing us -- as silly as it seems given that they have been below .500 all summer long.

soxfanreggie
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM

It's an easy way for them to make money off the "free" loan/advanced sale for next year, but I can see a LOT of people rejecting it. I wonder how much negative feedback they're getting over that $30 processing fee and the economics of how many playoff ticket sales that is costing them.

WhiffleBall
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
$5230 for 4 premium lower box postseason tickets. It's $225 per ticket for the WS. There is an option for ALDS and ALCS only advance payment with the WS tickets getting charged only if they make the playoffs. That cuts more than half off the amount due.

Last years invoices came out on August 9th so this is the standard release date. I remember from last year that they signed Manny a few days before the final due date for post season invoices. It was part of the reason I renewed.

I don't know what the games back cut off is but only 4 games back with seven weeks left to play is an acceptable reason to send out invoices. I don't see a due date but I think it is right around 9-1 which gives us some time to see how things play out.

WhiffleBall
08-11-2011, 09:42 AM

It would not be in a season ticket holders best interest to do this unless you were willing to pay them a fee or forego any kind of refund. The WS give season ticket holders three options when it comes to post season tickets:

1. Pay the postseason invoice and request a full refund if they don't make it. If this option is chosen then the STH loses their seats for next year.

2. Pay the postseason invoice and then use it as a downpayment for next year if they don't make it.

3. Ignore the post season invoice and just wait for regular invoices to come out in November/December.

MLB now offers a secondary market for post season ticket futures. It's similar to the old ticketreserve.com system. I picked up 2 futures for the Brewers for $20 which can now be sold for whatever price the market will pay or I can hold on to them and buy the two tickets for face value if the Brewers make it to the WS. The ability to buy postseason tickets this way pretty much makes one of the biggest reasons for having season tickets superfluous.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/tickets/ticket_reservations.jsp

tstrike2000
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
They always invoice us around this time if the team is within reasonable distance of first place.

Thankfully we're in the worst division in baseball. If the AL or NL East, we would've been done in June.

DumpJerry
08-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Every year we have the same whining about the business model the White Sox have chosen to use with respect to how they handle our payments. First of all, I think Doub is correct in that MLB, not the White Sox, set the ticket prices, so direct your ire about the prices at Bud, not Jerry.

Interest rates on savings accounts are so low today, that if you forked over the full six grand to the White Sox today for 2012 instead of in January, you would lose about $6.75 in interest. That's almost two churro's worth of moollah.

Harry Potter
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Interest rates on savings accounts are so low today, that if you forked over the full six grand to the White Sox today for 2012 instead of in January, you would lose about $6.75 in interest. That's almost two churro's worth of moollah.

Mmmm churros :bandance:

kipwells2000
08-19-2011, 12:55 AM
I never figured this out...the $30 handling fee, I know it doesn't get refunded if they ship the tickets out and then the team doesn't make the postseason. But if they don't even ship tickets out do you still eat the $30 fee? Or is it added to the credit you get on next year?

Harry Potter
08-19-2011, 01:26 AM
I never figured this out...the $30 handling fee, I know it doesn't get refunded if they ship the tickets out and then the team doesn't make the postseason. But if they don't even ship tickets out do you still eat the $30 fee? Or is it added to the credit you get on next year?

They've wisened up and in the past few years, the $30 has been applied to the following year's balance due.

DumpJerry
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I paid the partial fee with the rest due if the Sox clinch a postseason spot. Since the ALDS is a lackluster series (all it does it is gets you to the LCS and winning it does not get a banner at the park or tee shirts printed up), I will be selling it on Stubhub to those who want to see a playoff game for a nice profit.

kevingrt
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I wonder what percentage of season ticket holders have put down their deposits for playoff tickets the past couple years. I'd like to see the Sox numbers on that.

soxfanreggie
08-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Those PTRs are a nice racket for MLB, especially when they tack on this to every order:

Your credit card will be charged the non-refundable total amount you have offered plus a fee of 7% of the total transaction cost (minimum fee: $5) as soon as you click "Purchase Your Reservations" and you will be the new owner of the PTR(s). All sales of PTR(s) are final.

There's also no guarantee to where the seats are, so they could stick you in the worst seats in the place.

DumpJerry
08-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Those PTRs are a nice racket for MLB, especially when they tack on this to every order:

Your credit card will be charged the non-refundable total amount you have offered plus a fee of 7% of the total transaction cost (minimum fee: $5) as soon as you click "Purchase Your Reservations" and you will be the new owner of the PTR(s). All sales of PTR(s) are final.

There's also no guarantee to where the seats are, so they could stick you in the worst seats in the place.
What's a PTR? This has not been hoisted on us.

Fenway
08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Brooks explains why the Sox sent the invoices out

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/section/blogs?blogID=business-of-sports&plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&uid=f5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4ad&plckPostId=Blog%3af5555513-c950-465

sox230
08-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Very interesting that playoff prices have gone DOWN since 2005. In 2005, it was 55 for ALDS, 100 for ALCS and 185 for WS.

JC456
08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
They are getting nothing from me, Thanks to Ozzie! I'm not paying them for a stubborn loser!

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I just noticed that there are links to all possible playoff games on the White Sox Stub Hub list now. I did not see that there a couple days ago.