PDA

View Full Version : Lillibridge at First

kufram
08-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I haven't been able to see many games in real time because they are night games but I'm enjoying the wins on my phone updates in the wee hours. I have caught some of the condensed games.

Does it make anyone else smile every time a throw goes to first and you see Lillibridge taking the throw? I don't mean in a bad way... it just looks so incongruous. It's like he got lost and just found himself at first. In fact, it looked like he had to stretch to take a throw from Morel last night. Is he even using a first baseman's mitt?

It is another argument for a player like Lillibridge adding value to an mlb team.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 01:49 PM
He's definitely a great guy to have off the bench, and obviously willing to play anywhere to help the team and get in the lineup.

hawkjt
08-10-2011, 02:00 PM
I haven't been able to see many games in real time because they are night games but I'm enjoying the wins on my phone updates in the wee hours. I have caught some of the condensed games.

Does it make anyone else smile every time a throw goes to first and you see Lillibridge taking the throw? I don't mean in a bad way... it just looks so incongruous. It's like he got lost and just found himself at first. In fact, it looked like he had to stretch to take a throw from Morel last night. Is he even using a first baseman's mitt?

It is another argument for a player like Lillibridge adding value to an mlb team.

That throw from Morel was nearly out of his reach,which is clearly why normal 1st basemen are taller. I am fine with Lilly starting at 1st vs Lefties as long as PK is hurt,as he has much better range than Dunn. Hope he can get a few more hits also.

comiskey2000
08-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Lillibridge plays seven positions. He is a very valuable guy to have around. Where has Vizquel been the last few weeks?

Noneck
08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Where has Vizquel been the last few weeks?

I bet he will be getting a start in one of the next two games.

PalehosePlanet
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
He definitely looks like a second baseman covering first on a bunt. His foot work is a bit awkward on the bag and he commits his stretch a little to early, but he's done okay.

So far I can't recall if he's had an opportunity to dig a throw out of the dirt.

guillensdisciple
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
He definitely looks like a second baseman covering first on a bunt. His foot work is a bit awkward on the bag and he commits his stretch a little to early, but he's done okay.

So far I can't recall if he's had an opportunity to dig a throw out of the dirt.

I have never seen anyone scoop them up as effortlessly as Paulie does. Just a side note, I love how he plays first.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I have never seen anyone scoop them up as effortlessly as Paulie does. Just a side note, I love how he plays first.

In his prime, Derrek Lee was probably better. But I agree, Paulie's defensive prowess at 1B is hugely underrated. He doesn't have much range at 1B, but he digs balls out of the dirt tremendously well.

DumpJerry
08-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Lilli is probably the Third Baseman of the Sox' future.

vinny
08-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Lilli said the other day he tries to remind the other infielders to "aim low" when he's playing first. :redneck

soxfan1965
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Lilli said the other day he tries to remind the other infielders to "aim low" when he's playing first. :redneck That's a good one. :smile: I would think he's becoming a fan favorite with how his versitility has helped this team. So the only position he hasn't done is pitch and catch? If he can get the basics, maybe there is a mop-up game where he can duplicate what Bert Campaneris did in 1965 - play all 9 spots in a game.