PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-9 High-5! Morel's 2 RBI help Sox pluck 4-3 win from Birds Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Good thing happen when you score at least four runs. And hold the opposition to three or fewer.

:bandance:

russ99
08-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Gavin had a great game, a few timely homers, good defense, and the pen was just nails tough tonight.

Let's get 6 tomorrow!

soltrain21
08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Timely hitting and a little bit of luck. I'll take it.

SI1020
08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Let's have a nice August for a change.

ChiSoxGal85
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Verrrryyy nice...I could get used to this winning thing. :smile:

Brian26
:hawk
"HELL YES."

thomas35forever
Don't stop now, boys!

Aesero
Watching them win feels good.

Nelfox02
bend....dont break

did not see the play that got Buck tossed, had the radio call going, Farmer said we got a break.....

5 in a row!!!! GO TRIBE if that game ever gets going again

Mohoney
Does anybody have a running total of 2-out runs scored during this 5 game winning streak?

It seems like a huge amount of the runs lately have come with 2 outs.

voodoochile
08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Five in a row? I know the competition isn't exactly the Yankees and FauxSox, but still nice to see the team bouncing back. Got a bit lucky in this one, but also completely got crushed in the BABIP department so guess things even out.

1-run win, 10-run win, just win...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

cbone
08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
This team pisses me off! I will not waste my time watching another game. Oh wait.... Gotta love the ups and downs. :) Morel has some power! .

mccoydp
08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm going to enjoy the wins while I can. Keep on rolling, Sox. Liked the HRs by Quentin and Morel, the pitching from Sale, and the one-out close by Santos.

:gulp:

voodoochile
bend....dont break

did not see the play that got Buck tossed, had the radio call going, Farmer said we got a break.....

Yeah, he beat the tag, but his slide was awful. His lead right hand went past the bag and he tagged with the left one. The ball got there just before his hand hit but the tag didn't beat the left hand to the bag. Ump was on the outfield side of the bag. I'm sure he saw the right hand miss the bag and it threw off his perception. It was bang bang either way, but he was safe. That's baseball...

hi im skot

Huge break. It wasn't even close.

LITTLE NELL
2 more wins and we come home over .500.
We are due to have a real good homestand, if we do I think we will win the division. The next 2 against the O's are huge.

hoosiersoxfan
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
bend....dont break

Game just started back up. Its on MLB Network for those who want to watch.

voodoochile
This team pisses me off! I will not waste my time watching another game. Oh wait.... Gotta love the ups and downs. :) Morel has some power! .

I was thinking after his first at bat that it was surprising that a guy with that much bat speed doesn't hit for more power. He's got a real compact swing. I think in years to come he may add some home run ability, but for now I just hope they leave him at third and let him develop.

bluedemon45
This is fun!! Lets make it 6 tomorrow! Bullpen is was solid. 2 out hitting is clutch.

Soxman219
08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Can we schedule the rest of our games on the road?:smile:

voodoochile
08-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Oh I'm sorry if you change the angle and slow the camera frames WAY down then Skot is right, it wasn't close... :rolleyes:

hi im skot
08-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh I'm sorry if you change the angle and slow the camera frames WAY down then Skot is right, it wasn't close... :rolleyes:

I saw it live and thought he was in there easily. Hawk and Stone agreed before they showed the replay as well.

Sorry my opinion upsets you so much.

soltrain21
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM

It was a complete and utter blown call.

veeter
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
First time they've looked swaggerish all year. Keep it going!!!!

manders_01
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I like it, I like it... :moonwalk:

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Are they teasing us yet again?

Could get back to .500 with another win (yet again)

We'll see.

Lip

delben91
08-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Haven't seen the play, so I'll assume it was a huge break.

That said, I'll take it. Gladly.

Mohoney
08-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Adam Dunn is hitting .165 and a blown call by Phil Cuzzi just might save our season.

This truly is Bizarro World.

hi im skot
08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
That said, I'll take it. Gladly.

Totally. Phil Cuzzi probably owed us one anyway.

voodoochile
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM

I admit he was safe I don't think it was nearly the as easy to call in live action from the umps angle as others are making it out to be.

Edit: I will add that it was a horrible slide that cost him the call. In particular when compared to the slide that TCM had earlier in the game where the ball beat him by 2 steps and he still got to the bag safely.

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I saw it live and thought he was in there easily. Hawk and Stone agreed before they showed the replay as well.

He was definitely safe, but the throw did beat him and Markakis also short armed the slide a bit -- as if he was more worried about jamming a shoulder than getting the call -- so you can somewhat understand why the umpire was fooled and blew the call.

Also, did anyone see Q's home and road splits that they just posted on the postgame? Unbelievable: .300/17/48 on the road and .223/7/23 at home. I'm just flummoxed as to why for the second straight year (and maybe the 3rd?) the team has struggled to hit at home -- a supposed hitters paradise.

delben91
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
He was definitely safe, but the throw did beat him and Markakis also short armed the slide a bit -- as if he was more worried about jamming a shoulder than getting the call -- so you can somewhat understand why the umpire was fooled and blew the call.

Also, did anyone see Q's home and road splits that they just posted on the postgame? Unbelievable: .300/17/48 on the road and .223/7/23 at home. I'm just flummoxed as to why for the second straight year (and maybe the 3rd?) the team has struggled to hit at home -- a supposed hitters paradise.

Excellent use of "flummoxed" :thumbsup:

voodoochile
08-09-2011, 09:15 PM

I thought so too but then when I saw that the arm I thought hit the bag actually didn't I realized it was a much closer and harder to call play than I originally thought. The replay shows a very close play with the hand hitting the bag right before the tag hits the arm.

IF the right hand had hit the bag he would have been safe easily. It didn't he wasn't. The rest is for the replay booth.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2011, 09:21 PM
It's nice to get 2 huge breaks going our way (not only the bad call at 3rd, but also the bad base running gaffe by Markakis on the liner to CF by Vladdy).

But, WHEN will this team ever make things comfortable on us? That's another game they almost blew against the worst team in the league.

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM

It's not a hitters paradise, though.

The short distances to the fences, especially in the power alleys and down the lines, mean that it's easier to hit a HR at the Cell, when the weather is warm.

However, the short distances mean that outfielders can play more shallow, meaning that fewer balls fall in for singles, and fewer line drives split two outfielders for extra bases.

In addition, the grass is kept long to slow down ground balls, specifically to help Sox pitchers. This reduces the number of grounders that split two infielders.

Consequently, the Cell produces more HRs but fewer singles, doubles and triples.

In addition, because of these park factors, plus Walker's coaching, plus their own hitting styles, many Sox hitters tend to swing for the fences. This shows up in their high contact rate and low strikeout numbers, high rates of popups and groundouts, and low BABIP.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Pale:

The only thing I can think of is that when the Sox are home they immediately understand that it's a "hitters paradise" and either consciously on unconsciously start muscling up and trying to hit eight run home runs, 700 feet.

Lip

gosox41
08-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Does anybody have a running total of 2-out runs scored during this 5 game winning streak?

It seems like a huge amount of the runs lately have come with 2 outs.

I know I'm shocked by this. I gave up hope of this team ever getting its act together offensively.

Let's hope it continues.

Bob

Brian26
08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I admit he was safe I don't think it was nearly the as easy to call in live action from the umps angle as others are making it out to be.

Edit: I will add that it was a horrible slide that cost him the call. In particular when compared to the slide that TCM had earlier in the game where the ball beat him by 2 steps and he still got to the bag safely.

He was safe, but the two camera angles I saw told two different stories. The angle from the first base side made it appear he beat the throw and tag by a huge margin. Later, they showed the angle from the camera-well in the third base dugout, and it looked like his lead hand actually came up over the bag when he slid. The ump may have been focused on that, and in real time it may have looked like Morel's swipe tag.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Just keep winning boys.Ugly,pretty,it doesn't matter.We don't care.:D:

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM

The short distances to the fences, especially in the power alleys and down the lines, mean that it's easier to hit a HR at the Cell, when the weather is warm.

However, the short distances mean that outfielders can play more shallow, meaning that fewer balls fall in for singles, and fewer line drives split two outfielders for extra bases.

In addition, the grass is kept long to slow down ground balls, specifically to help Sox pitchers. This reduces the number of grounders that split two infielders.

Consequently, the Cell produces more HRs but fewer singles, doubles and triples.

In addition, because of these park factors, plus Walker's coaching, plus their own hitting styles, many Sox hitters tend to swing for the fences. This shows up in their high contact rate and low strikeout numbers, high rates of popups and groundouts, and low BABIP.

Oh, agreed definitely on all points. We've talked about the lack of gaps and short fences not being conducive to bloop hits and keeping the overall batting averages down before. It makes perfect sense.

But despite that (and maybe because we had more sluggers back then) in many years over the last decade The Cell has been in the top 5 or 6 stadiums in total runs scored in the entire major leagues. Back in '08 we had a great home field advantage and our hitters were more productive at home.

Could it be that as currently constructed, we're not built for our stadium --- at all? It must be, right? I can't think of anything else.

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Pale:

The only thing I can think of is that when the Sox are home they immediately understand that it's a "hitters paradise" and either consciously on unconsciously start muscling up and trying to hit eight run home runs, 700 feet.

Lip

Good point. It's definitely the case with Q, anyway. He's a completely different hitter on the road who understands that there are lots of hits in the middle of the field. He comes home and he's less patient and tries pulling almost everything.

Soxfest
08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Another road win.:D:

TDog
08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I was thinking after his first at bat that it was surprising that a guy with that much bat speed doesn't hit for more power. He's got a real compact swing. I think in years to come he may add some home run ability, but for now I just hope they leave him at third and let him develop.

I think Morel's strength is his defense, which will probably get better. He appears to be shaping up as a good contact hitter. I wouldn't be surprised if the power comes later. Morel may have been rushed to the majors, but it looks like he won tonight's game with his glove and his bat.

I missed tonight's game. I can't really comment on it, other than it was nice to see the Sox get off to a 4-0 lead for the second night in a row. They jumped off to a lead Sunday as well, but the starting pitching didn't need all of it, as it has the last two nights.

DSpivack
08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Oh, agreed definitely on all points. We've talked about the lack of gaps and short fences not being conducive to bloop hits and keeping the overall batting averages down before. It makes perfect sense.

But despite that (and maybe because we had more sluggers back then) in many years over the last decade The Cell has been in the top 5 or 6 stadiums in total runs scored in the entire major leagues. Back in '08 we had a great home field advantage and our hitters were more productive at home.

Could it be that as currently constructed, we're not built for our stadium --- at all? It must be, right? I can't think of anything else.

I wonder if it's something mental this year.

slavko
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Was the final pitch by Santos for a White Sox Winner a slider or a change? 86 MPH and no sideways break. Stone called it a slider, I'm not so sure. Either way the hitter was looking for a 3-2 fastball.

BNLSox
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Proud of the bounce back from what felt like the team throwing in the towel prior to the Minny series. Keep it going boys!!!

shingo10
08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Rios was dogging it tonight...

hawkjt
08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
That last pitch by Sergio looked like a slurve...it was so nasty!

Another nail-biter,but winning them is all the more fun,after its over.
Kind of lucky to get their hacks vs Reyes,cus that next guy was tough.
Happy for Gavin to win at home,and maybe get some shockjocks off his butt,as they keep saying he folds late in the year...not this year,boys. He is healthier..hopefully. Wonder if his foot is ok?

Frasor got a clutch strikeout.
So did Ohlman.
Sale is unconscious right now.
And Serge is hard metal tough. That road streak of his shows mental moxie. He has come so far since last year,when he was melting down at this point in the year.

Morel is so inside out,just when you think he is never going to turn on a pitch..boom goes the bomb!

PK keeps gutting it out,and put some good swings on the ball tonite.
I jinxed Juan by mentioning his 26 of 27 games with hits,as he finally went 0 for 5 tonite...sorry Juan.

Kind of sweet to see Buck get all redfaced and kicked out,and then get beat after pulling that last inning stalling stunt...what a baby.

Keep it going Sox...one at a time..tomorrow is a big test for Humber..has he hit the wall or is he going to break back thru it?

Dibbs
08-09-2011, 11:59 PM
So I have to start watching again, huh? I don't buy it, but I will probably tune-in.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
So I have to start watching again, huh? I don't buy it, but I will probably tune-in.

They aren't even .500 yet. Same team, different day, until I see a reason to think otherwise.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2011, 12:47 AM
So I have to start watching again, huh?No, don't bother. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.

johnnyg83
08-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Was the final pitch by Santos for a White Sox Winner a slider or a change? 86 MPH and no sideways break. Stone called it a slider, I'm not so sure. Either way the hitter was looking for a 3-2 fastball.

It looked like a straight change to me. Someone else said slurve, but it dropped straight down to my eye.

johnnyg83
08-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Indians win. We are 4.0 games out on 8/8, are you crapping me?

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2011, 12:57 AM
On a walk-off HBP. Fukudome took one for the Jndjans.

johnnyg83
08-10-2011, 01:00 AM
It was funny to listen to the Cleveland broadcasters, they were talking about the Sox and they said (paraphrase) "that's a tough team to figure out ... 5 game win streak after losing six straight."

Noneck
08-10-2011, 01:05 AM
"that's a tough team to figure out ... 5 game win streak after losing six straight."

They sure are.

kufram
08-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Not that hard to figure out... just can't win at home and have had 2 major players malfunctioning...

voodoochile
08-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Not that hard to figure out... just can't win at home and have had 2 major players malfunctioning...

But at least one of them is showing some signs of life and the other has been at least marginally better at the plate these last few weeks (emphasis on marginally).

The question is can the Sox ever "hit their stride" ( :tongue: ) or "put it all together". If yes then they will be there at the end and even give some teams problems in the playoffs (especially if they were to get hot now and carry it into the playoffs).

I've given up trying to figure the team out (though I rarely do much of that anyway preferring just to watch things play out) and I admit this team has put even a diehard optimist like me through the wringer this year. Theirs eight weeks to go not much more to say but, "thank goodness we play in the ALC."

GO SOX!

central44
08-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Hey i'll take it! All I care about is that the Sox are still playing meaningful baseball. Hopefully this streak is the point where they turn it around. They've looked like the team they were supposed to be these past few games, and it's been great to watch.

Ranger
08-10-2011, 03:14 AM

I think this might actually be a decent assessment of what their problems may be at home (except for the Walker thing, because you really have no idea what he's "coaching" or who he's really even coaching). They're actually hitting for average better at home and hitting more HRs at home. They also have a slightly better OBP and SLG at home but they're scoring about half a run per game less.

It could be that the outfielders are positioned differently at home, but I get the sense the Sox are a little more overanxious and less patient at home, but I couldn't tell you why they are.

kufram
08-10-2011, 04:38 AM
No doubt about it... we need to win some home games to win the division. BUT, if we can get to the latest part of the season in a tight race and playoff-type crowds do show up I'd bet our home record would improve greatly. The trouble is we need to win at home to get to that point.

Our chances have improved, I hope, because the dynamic of the team has changed for the better. This team needs to find a way to bring that dynamic to a home field with a lot of empty seats. That's not easy to do.

What a story it would be if Rios and Dunn contributed to getting us into the post-season. Then anything could happen.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Man our bullpen is good

Zakath
08-10-2011, 06:57 AM
It was funny to listen to the Cleveland broadcasters, they were talking about the Sox and they said (paraphrase) "that's a tough team to figure out ... 5 game win streak after losing six straight."

We follow them every day, and we can't figure them out.

Jollyroger2
08-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Minnesota is lousy and Baltimore is even worse. The Sox should win games against these teams. They just haven't done much of that before this week.

Chez
08-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I thought Ohman's strikeout of Markakis was the turning point of the game. The bullpen continues to shine (and credit to Ozzie for making all the right moves). They are really shortening the game for the Sox. Despite starting the year as a set-up guy, Santos has 24 saves and leads all AL relievers in strikeouts.

I'd love to see a strong outing from Humber tonight. He's been a bit wobbly lately -- hitting the wall much earlier in games than he did in the first half. I know he's thrown more innings this season than in any previous season, so hopefully the Sox score early and Humber cruises.

Chez
08-10-2011, 07:50 AM
They aren't even .500 yet. Same team, different day, until I see a reason to think otherwise.

Did you go to the Cub game last night?

LITTLE NELL
08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I keep thinking of our 25-5 run last year, would it not be nice if we could do that again. It could happen if Dunn came out of his hibernation.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Minnesota is lousy and Baltimore is even worse. The Sox should win games against these teams. They just haven't done much of that before this week.

Right, this past two weeks have been the most logical the Sox have played all year. They get creamed by Boston and New York, and then beat down the Twins and Orioles.

October26
08-10-2011, 08:14 AM
No doubt about it... we need to win some home games to win the division. BUT, if we can get to the latest part of the season in a tight race and playoff-type crowds do show up I'd bet our home record would improve greatly. The trouble is we need to win at home to get to that point.

Our chances have improved, I hope, because the dynamic of the team has changed for the better. This team needs to find a way to bring that dynamic to a home field with a lot of empty seats. That's not easy to do.

What a story it would be if Rios and Dunn contributed to getting us into the post-season. Then anything could happen.

THIS. Winning is fun and fun is winning! :bandance:

hawkjt
08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

I hung in there for that entire game after the Sox game last nite...neither team could score for 12 innings til the walkoff hit by pitch. The Tribe had a total of 2 hits in the 11 innings from 2nd to the 13th!
As bad as the Sox offense can be, these teams struggle also.
Both pens were completely tapped out...both were impressive but they will be tired for a few days. I still think the Sox have the best overall pitching in the division. If the Sox hit at all,they should be in this to the end. Why am I having visions of a lite-hitting 3rd baseman getting hot the last month to help drive them to a division title...maybe because Joe Crede,who had a forgettable season going til he came back from his hand injury in early Sept of 05,then caught fire and blazed thru that last 2 months of the season...Brent Morel....I am looking at you!

TheOldRoman
08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
On a walk-off HBP. Fukudome took one for the Jndjans.Oh, God. I just remembered Lillibridge's contortionist act to get out of the way of a walk-off HBP against the Nationals in a game they eventually lost.:angry:

hawkjt
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Tonite the Sox face Tommy Hunter,who made his first start of 2011 for the O's last week,giving up 8 hits,4 runs in 4 innings. Sox must find a way to score enough to carry Humber to a win.

cards press box
08-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Oh, God. I just remembered Lillibridge's contortionist act to get out of the way of a walk-off HBP against the Nationals in a game they eventually lost.:angry:

I was at that game (Sox v Nats) and Lillibridge's at-bat was not comparable to Fukodome's. Lillibridge just reacted and got out of the way.

I watched the end of the Indians/Tigers game on MLB last night. Unlike the pitch to Lillibridge in the Sox-Nats game which was inside but straight, the pitch to Fukodome was on an angle right toward him. In other words, the pitch wasn't just inside; it was inside and really bearing down on him. Fukodome had no chance to get out of the way.

Man our bullpen is good

The Sox bullpen is excellent. And thanks to the pen,

:winner

salty99
08-10-2011, 09:23 AM
All in

slavko
08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
It looked like a straight change to me. Someone else said slurve, but it dropped straight down to my eye.

Concur. Nice to have a third pitch.

kittle42
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Did you go to the Cub game last night?

No, but I hear that Wang pitched a hell of a game!

palehozenychicty
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Just saw the replay of that tag. Wow. :?:

Cuzzi owed us one. I'll take it and run on the Oregon Trail.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Pitch FX, FWIW, called it a slider.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=2&sp_type=1&batterX=73&month=08&day=09&game=gid_2011_08_09_chamlb_balmlb_1%2F&year=2011&pitchSel=435045&prevGame=gid_2011_08_09_chamlb_balmlb_1%2F

Tragg
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd love to see a strong outing from Humber tonight. He's been a bit wobbly lately -- hitting the wall much earlier in games than he did in the first half. I know he's thrown more innings this season than in any previous season, so hopefully the Sox score early and Humber cruises.
From what I've seen of Humber, the key for him is to keep that ball at the knees - that induces grounder after grounder.
When he leaves it up, it's a lollipop.

TheOldRoman
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I was at that game (Sox v Nats) and Lillibridge's at-bat was not comparable to Fukodome's. Lillibridge just reacted and got out of the way.

I watched the end of the Indians/Tigers game on MLB last night. Unlike the pitch to Lillibridge in the Sox-Nats game which was inside but straight, the pitch to Fukodome was on an angle right toward him. In other words, the pitch wasn't just inside; it was inside and really bearing down on him. Fukodome had no chance to get out of the way.I didn't see a replay of Fukudome getting hit yet, but just the term "walk-off HBP" reminded me of the situation. I know that it was an instinct from Lillibridge to get out of the way, but it was still extremely frustrating. I mean, when you are a player like him, you should probably be leaning into everything you can to get on base.

Tragg
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I watched the end of the Indians/Tigers game on MLB last night. Unlike the pitch to Lillibridge in the Sox-Nats game which was inside but straight, the pitch to Fukodome was on an angle right toward him. In other words, the pitch wasn't just inside; it was inside and really bearing down on him. Fukodome had no chance to get out of the way.

Fukodome had started his forward swinging motion; and because it was bearing straight into him as you said on an angle, he couldn't pull back.

Crestani
08-10-2011, 01:28 PM
From what I've seen of Humber, the key for him is to keep that ball at the knees - that induces grounder after grounder.
When he leaves it up, it's a lollipop.

The key for Humber is strike one. He is much more aggressive, and confident when he is ahead in the count. The game against the Nats he was 0-1, or 0-2 on most every hitter until the 7th inning. Even though he lost 2-1, he looked in control most of the day.

I don't remember him having a good effort of getting ahead of the hitters since then.

Just my thoughts..

Carneyman14
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
if we score 4-5 runs/game we are going to win a lot of games here in the 2nd half. will it be enough? I can't wait to find out :gulp:

Ranger
08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I hung in there for that entire game after the Sox game last nite...neither team could score for 12 innings til the walkoff hit by pitch. The Tribe had a total of 2 hits in the 11 innings from 2nd to the 13th!
As bad as the Sox offense can be, these teams struggle also.
Both pens were completely tapped out...both were impressive but they will be tired for a few days. I still think the Sox have the best overall pitching in the division. If the Sox hit at all,they should be in this to the end. Why am I having visions of a lite-hitting 3rd baseman getting hot the last month to help drive them to a division title...maybe because Joe Crede,who had a forgettable season going til he came back from his hand injury in early Sept of 05,then caught fire and blazed thru that last 2 months of the season...Brent Morel....I am looking at you!

This is the reason the Sox have any real chance. To this day, what has nearly killed this team is the 6-18 stretch from April into May. Hell, if they go even 10-14 during that stretch (still not very good) they're in first place right now. You'll see that since that early-season nonsense, the Sox have actually been a pretty good team. Unfortunately, that awful stretch counts too.

PalehosePlanet
08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
The key for Humber is strike one. He is much more aggressive, and confident when he is ahead in the count. The game against the Nats he was 0-1, or 0-2 on most every hitter until the 7th inning. Even though he lost 2-1, he looked in control most of the day.

I don't remember him having a good effort of getting ahead of the hitters since then.

Just my thoughts..

He threw 7 shutout innings against The Cubs after that for a win. Also, he pitched well for 5.2 innings at Detroit and at home against the Yankees for 6.1 innings before running into a wall in each game. On each occasion Ozzie stuck with him for a batter too long even though he was running out of gas. The bullpen on each occasion also allowed Humber's runners to score.

Anyway, hopefully he has his curveball tonight, because The O's can definitely hurt you if you run some mediocre stuff up against them. He pitched great against them earlier in the year -- 2 ER and 3 hits in 7 innings -- but thanks to our inept offense got the hard luck loss.

Lip Man 1
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Ranger:

You're right...which is why it's even more frustrating to see something like that happen every year starting in 2007. At best the Sox have been mediocre around the middle of May. At worst, well... putrid comes to mind.

Five straight years to me, means something is going on.

I personally think it's because of the attitude Ozzie takes in spring training and the players pick up on it but many disagree with that.

Lip

captain54
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
To this day, what has nearly killed this team is the 6-18 stretch from April into May. .

Let's not ignore all the games the offense stunk up the joint from May until now.. Games where the pitching kept the Sox in the game, but
the somnambulistic WalkerBall reared its ugly sleepy head. Any four of those games where the pitching did its job and the Sox muster up more than a run or two and we're in first place

asindc
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
This is the reason the Sox have any real chance. To this day, what has nearly killed this team is the 6-18 stretch from April into May. Hell, if they go even 10-14 during that stretch (still not very good) they're in first place right now. You'll see that since that early-season nonsense, the Sox have actually been a pretty good team. Unfortunately, that awful stretch counts too.

Let's not ignore all the games the offense stunk up the joint from May until now.. Games where the pitching kept the Sox in the game, but
the somnabulistic WalkerBall reared its ugly sleepy head. Any four of those games where the pitching did its job and the Sox muster up more than a run or two and we're in first place

I'm pretty sure that is included in what he is referring to.

ChiSoxGal85
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
That's exactly why I didn't understand why people in April said, "It's ok, it's early...lots of games left to play." Those games count in the win/loss columns just like the rest of the season, and that early putridness could come back to haunt the Sox. But I'm going to be optimistic - I think the Sox can play well enough to overcome it down the stretch.

voodoochile
08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
That's exactly why I didn't understand why people in April said, "It's ok, it's early...lots of games left to play." Those games count in the win/loss columns just like the rest of the season, and that early putridness could come back to haunt the Sox. But I'm going to be optimistic - I think the Sox can play well enough to overcome it down the stretch.

I don't recall anyone saying, "it's okay to lose games in April."

Merely that it is early and that there is plenty of time to turn it around. Heck in the ALC it looks like ~.500 will be in the mix until the final few weeks of the season at least, so there is still time to turn it around and win the division.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 06:24 PM

I don't think anyone really says that, it's just you don't need to go berserk when you lose a game here or there. What's killing the Sox isn't so much they started the year so poorly, what's killing them is that the whole season they have yet to be particulary good at any point. Remember, the Red Sox started the year 0-8 and didn't get above .500 until the 41 games into the season (25%) in the middle of May. The difference is the Red Sox have really taken off since then, whereas our Sox have just maintained their .500-ish style all year long.