PDA

View Full Version : Who makes up the MLB schedule? - Blind monkeys??

Fenway
08-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I have seen some whacky things since MLB switched to the computer people in Pittsburgh but look at Boston's road trip

at Minneapolis
at Seattle

Then back to Boston for 2 days and then to
at Kansas City
at Texas

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=bos

That is nuts

SBSoxFan
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
From the comfort of my couch, I'm thinking it shouldn't be "that" hard to make a reasonable schedule. Having said that, it is a massively constrained system. You'd think one of the constraints would be a minimum number of days at home. However, perhaps the distance is accounted for as well. Imagine if it were Boston to L.A. instead of K.C., for example.

My first thought would be a neural network could do the job. I don't know what the current company is doing, how they got the job, or how much they are making. I would think MLB could hold an academic contest to develop a schedule and get plenty of good solutions. Regardless, I would hope one of the objectives is to minimize travel in some way. On a personal note, I would like to see the schedule broken up into at least three sections so that teams play other teams within their division in 3 sets during the year. That avoids the possibility of playing the same opponent a large number of games in which one might be "hot" and the other is not.

salty99
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
White Sox have Angels and Seattle on the road, 3 at home vs Twins then back on road for Tigers and Twins.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
My heart bleeds for the poor ****ing Red Sox.

Lip

Fenway
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
My heart bleeds for the poor ****ing Red Sox.

Lip

Every team has these problems. The players travel by charter but the broadcasters, media and others have to fly commercial. These things didn't happen when the couple from Martha's Vineyard did the schedule.

Sox
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
:nocomment::screwloose:

voodoochile
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I would think they could do something to alleviate these kind of stupid stretches by having a human look over the various schedules after the computer does it's thing. Maybe the players prefer not having 12 game road trips, IDK, but it would seem it would be much easier to go Minnesota, Seattle, Texas, KC and then home, but maybe that conflicts with the other teams schedules.

I was just noticing the Toons still have 12 games against the Kittens left (including tonight's rain delayed game). That seems poor scheduling to me.

Zakath
08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I would think they could do something to alleviate these kind of stupid stretches by having a human look over the various schedules after the computer does it's thing. Maybe the players prefer not having 12 game road trips, IDK, but it would seem it would be much easier to go Minnesota, Seattle, Texas, KC and then home, but maybe that conflicts with the other teams schedules.

I was just noticing the Toons still have 12 games against the Kittens left (including tonight's rain delayed game). That seems poor scheduling to me.

And 11 against us, though it's only three series, not 4.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-10-2011, 04:48 AM
And 11 against us, though it's only three series, not 4.

I thought they back-loaded a good number of the divisional games on purpose to make the divisional races more exciting?

Zakath
08-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I thought they back-loaded a good number of the divisional games on purpose to make the divisional races more exciting?

They basically did. After the Baltimore series, we only have 4 series left vs. non-Central teams (Texas, @LAA, @Seattle, Toronto).

The only thing that's making the Central race more exciting is that all of the teams are horrid.

tacosalbarojas
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I thought the broadcasters fly with the team. I know I was in KC a few years ago and Hawk was with the team in the airport. Plus he always talks about the Sox flight crew. So pretty sure they fly with the team.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Taco:

Normally they do. In years past in an effort to keep a certain distance between the two many stations and newspapers would have their people fly separately and even in at least one case that I know of (Jim Kaat as part of his condition to return to the Yankees broadcasting staff) stay at a different hotel.

(Kaat's staying at a different hotel and flying separately was at his request by the way...)

Lip

Fenway
08-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I thought the broadcasters fly with the team. I know I was in KC a few years ago and Hawk was with the team in the airport. Plus he always talks about the Sox flight crew. So pretty sure they fly with the team.

In Boston they haven't for years ever since Sean McDonough and Wade Boggs got into a fight on the plane.

Yankees on the other hand do.

gobears1987
08-11-2011, 05:03 PM
In Boston they haven't for years ever since Sean McDonough and Wade Boggs got into a fight on the plane.

Yankees on the other hand do.

What were they fighting over? If I had to guess it would be England's greatest Prime Minister. :redneck

soxfan2504
08-12-2011, 03:34 AM
What were they fighting over? If I had to guess it would be England's greatest Prime Minister. :redneck

Barney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): And I say, that England's greatest Prime Minister was Lord Palmerston!
Boggs (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1309453/): Pitt the Elder!
Barney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): Lord Palmerston!
Boggs (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1309453/): Pitt the Elder!
Barney (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): Okay, you asked for it, Boggs!

tacosalbarojas
08-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Okay, so all broacasting teams not including ones with Wade fly with the team.

Fenway
08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Okay, so all broacasting teams not including ones with Wade fly with the team.

If the broadcasters are EMPLOYEES of the team they can fly on the charter - if of the station they can not ( Players association rule )

Print media are forbidden

cub killer
08-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Let's not forget Stoney's incident with Kent Mercker