PDA

View Full Version : 4 man rotation?

shingo10
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110808&content_id=22931476&notebook_id=22933148&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

I think we tried this in 2004 and maybe 2008. Hopefully the games matter enough that we do it.

hawkjt
08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I looked at the schedule and with 3 days off in the next 11, I just think Coop is looking at massaging the rotation over the next 3 weeks in such a manner that gets MB an extra start,cut Humber's starts by a couple to give his arm more rest,cut Stewart to just Fridays start,putting him in the bullpen, all while keeping Peavy on 6 days rest,and maxing out Floyd and Danks. It can be done quite easily,and will get the Sox into september with still-fresh starters.

MB has only pitched 148 innings,while Verlander has sucked up 188 innings...maybe Verlander will tire down the stretch?

The Sox need to win enough the next two weeks to make the fresh arms relevant down the stretch...if they can,this could be excitiing to the end.

Gavin
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Definitely tried it in 2004 somewhere in the middle of the failed Dan Wright / Neal Cotts / Arnie Munoz / Felix Diaz / Jason Grilli / Jon Rauch / Josh Stewart / Jon Adkins Soxsider Showtime Starting Pitcher extravaganza. I don't remember it working real well.

gobears1987
08-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Definitely tried it in 2004 somewhere in the middle of the failed Dan Wright / Neal Cotts / Arnie Munoz / Felix Diaz / Jason Grilli / Jon Rauch / Josh Stewart / Jon Adkins Soxsider Showtime Starting Pitcher extravaganza. I don't remember it working real well.

I don't recall them trying it. They should have because it would've beat the revolving door 5th starter.

It's amazing that despite acquiring two great pitchers that year they still never had a 5th starter. Acquiring Freddy would've solved the problem if Schoenweiss didn't get injured. Then the trade for Contreras didn't add a 5th starter because we dumped Loaiza. I'm betting the Yankees still regrets that one.

thomas35forever
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Ah, memories.

Gavin
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't recall them trying it. They should have because it would've beat the revolving door 5th starter.

It's amazing that despite acquiring two great pitchers that year they still never had a 5th starter. Acquiring Freddy would've solved the problem if Schoenweiss didn't get injured. Then the trade for Contreras didn't add a 5th starter because we dumped Loaiza. I'm betting the Yankees still regrets that one.

This might jog your memory:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040810&content_id=824487&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws (Note the month/day on that article. :D::cool::o:)
Discussed here: http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38816

I think it might have lasted all of 2.5 weeks.

Tragg
08-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Perhaps the reason it didn't work well was the skill of Dan Wright / Neal Cotts / Arnie Munoz / Felix Diaz / Jason Grilli / Jon Rauch / Josh Stewart / Jon Adkins

Gavin
08-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Perhaps the reason it didn't work well was the skill of Dan Wright / Neal Cotts / Arnie Munoz / Felix Diaz / Jason Grilli / Jon Rauch / Josh Stewart / Jon Adkins

To be honest, I don't remember for sure why there were so many fifth spot starters that season. I guess the rotation started as (I think) Loaiza/Beurhle/Garland/Schoenweiss/Wright (yikes). That explains so many spot sparts (Wright didn't last long), I guess, until they acquired Garcia to make a solid four of Loaiza(then Contreras)/Beurhle/Garland/Garcia. They had a decent 5 and no real spot starts between acquiring Garcia and dropping Schoenweiss (June-Aug) out of the rotation in early Aguust. Anyway, after dropping Schoenweiss, the 4-man rotation was tried out and pretty soon they were so far out of it that they just went back to starting spot guys.

Relive the glory yourself:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2004-schedule-scores.shtml

raul12
08-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for bringing back those memories. :angry: God that was just awful having to watch that train wreck!

Carneyman14
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I dunno about this. I think maybe skipping Humber and pitching Stewart a couple times will give Humber enough rest, while also giving Stewart a little experience. But I don't know how many innings Stewart has pitched in the minors? is he about at his max?

doublem23
08-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I dunno about this. I think maybe skipping Humber and pitching Stewart a couple times will give Humber enough rest, while also giving Stewart a little experience. But I don't know how many innings Stewart has pitched in the minors? is he about at his max?

Stewart's professional IP:

2008 - 33
2009 - 105
2010 - 136.1
2011 - 125.2

Carneyman14
08-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Stewart's professional IP:

2008 - 33
2009 - 105
2010 - 136.1
2011 - 125.2

alright, so yeah, 4 man sounds good. I mean we had a 6 man earlier so our guys should be able to handle it for a little bit.

doublem23
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
alright, so yeah, 4 man sounds good. I mean we had a 6 man earlier so our guys should be able to handle it for a little bit.

They should all be rested as they're all on pace to throw below their 162-game average IP.

Name 2011 IP/162 G
Buehrle 208 223
Danks 168.1 208
Floyd 201 205
Peavy 114.2 215

Humber's numbers are kind of screwed up since this is his 1st full season of Major League work.

gobears1987
08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for bringing back those memories. :angry: God that was just awful having to watch that train wreck!

Somehow that team was within a half game of 1st going into a 3 game series against the Twinkies in late July. I was at the Pepsi half-price Tuesday (remember those?) game where the wheels fell off. It was the game where Hunter ran Jamie Burke over. The team curled up and died after that. I have to give the team credit for contending so long with that poor 5th starter spot and losing their 3 and 4 hitters for the year. If Maggs and Frank were healthy, I think they would've won the division.