PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Schedule

WhiffleBall
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
The trib had a blurb about the preliminary schedule for next year. We will be playing the Cardinals in St Louis and the Brewers will be playing at the Cell. I think it also said that we would be playing the Dodgers in LA.

08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
When are they going to come back to San Diego? They have played here once in 2005 and that is it.

doublem23
08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
The trib had a blurb about the preliminary schedule for next year. We will playing the Cardinals in St Louis and the Brewers will be playing at the Cell. I think it also said that we would be playing the Dodgers in LA.

Yeah, it also said the Sox will open the season on the road in Texas and the home opener will be against the Tigers, although no tentative dates were given for any of these games.

Soxman219
08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
When are we playing the Mets again?

asindc
08-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Have we ever played the Mets?

amsteel
08-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Sox v. Brewers = awesome.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2011, 10:21 AM

I want them to come out to Queens. Citi Field is amazing. Too bad the Mets aren't right now. :tongue:

bridgeportcopper
08-09-2011, 10:27 AM
We get Astros at home too - Cha-Ching 3 FREE WINS!

Milw
08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
We get Astros at home too - Cha-Ching 3 FREE WINS!
Has Houston been back to the Cell since that 2-game sweep here back in October of 2005?

jdm2662
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Has Houston been back to the Cell since that 2-game sweep here back in October of 2005?

The Sox won 2 of 3 against them in 2006.

SSrep
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Off the top of my head, I believe in 2006. I only say that with some vague recollection of the Sox being down 9-2 in the 8th, Iguchi hitting a grand slam and then a 3 run homer in the 9th to tie off Lidge...only to lose in extras.

Again, very vague recollection which could be incorrect.

TheOldRoman
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Off the top of my head, I believe in 2006. I only say that with some vague recollection of the Sox being down 9-2 in the 8th, Iguchi hitting a grand slam and then a 3 run homer in the 9th to tie off Lidge...only to lose in extras.

Again, very vague recollection which could be incorrect.Yep. The Sox hit a grand slam in each of those games (Pods on Friday, Crede on Saturday). The winning run scored because Ross Gload (!) misplayed a ball in RF after Ozzie put in all the subs when the game looked out of reach.

BigHurt3515
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
**** Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im from St. Louis, I have been waiting for this the past 3 years... 3 games here I come!! Cheap bleacher seats on stubhub.. Get there WAY early and get autographs and talk to some of the players. I cant wait
Thanks for the post, best news in awhile

Chez
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I'd love to see the Sox play at the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Zisk77
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep. The Sox hit a grand slam in each of those games (Pods on Friday, Crede on Saturday). The winning run scored because Ross Gload (!) misplayed a ball in RF after Ozzie put in all the subs when the game looked out of reach.

Actually, I think that play put the winning run on 3b with a triple. Pretty much semantics though. I beleive Pods almost won it earlier when he scorced a line drive right at the rf...dadgummit!:angry::cool:

Dick Allen
08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Have we ever played the Mets?One series at the Cell, that's been it. They've played the Mets the least of any NL team.

Dick Allen
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Actually, I think that play put the winning run on 3b with a triple. Pretty much semantics though. I beleive Pods almost won it earlier when he scorced a line drive right at the rf...dadgummit!:angry::cool:I left that game in the 7th inning, sox were down 9-1 and it started to rain! I got home in time to see that line drive by Pods. He hit it so hard that it sliced back to the left fielder. When he hit it, I thought game over.

jdm2662
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know where this was? I just checked today's trib with no luck.

Streets
08-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I've been waiting for the Sox to head back to StL for awhile now. I think a roadtrip will be in my plans for next summer, check out the new stadium.

doublem23
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know where this was? I just checked today's trib with no luck.

Buried in Gonzo's generally useless Sox Bits section. Page 4 of the Sports Section for those of you with home delivery.

You can find it online here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0809-white-sox-bits--20110809,0,179189.story

Very last paragraph

jdm2662
08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Buried in Gonzo's generally useless Sox Bits section. Page 4 of the Sports Section for those of you with home delivery.

You can find it online here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0809-white-sox-bits--20110809,0,179189.story

Very last paragraph

Cool, thanks. Hopefully the Cards and the Brewers games will be on weekends. I will be having gatherings for both. Hopefully, the Sox will do better this time than the last time I saw them in Busch.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I'll be curious if this comes to pass. I understand they had to get started with something for next year but will all the talk about expanded playoffs and Houston moving to the A.L. we'll have to see if this actually takes place.

If the MLBPA votes this off season to allow the move of the Astros the schedules will have to be redone (although they probably already have a rough draft ready to go in case...)

Lip

MARTINMVP
08-09-2011, 01:31 PM
The Sox hosted the Dodgers this year, and I thought they were here either last year or in 2009. Seems silly to be paired against the Dodgers so often when there are other NL teams we never see.

gobears1987
08-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm tired of watching the Sox play the Dodgers. Heck, I'm tired of playing the Cubs as much as every other AL team that isn't in our division.

Scratch that all.

I'm tired of interleague in general (at least the way it is done now). It should be matched so the Sox have 3 games against the Cubs and then play 5 series against one division and switching that every 3 years. That's how it was supposed to work IIRC. Somehow Bud screwed it up.

Hitmen77
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I'll be curious if this comes to pass. I understand they had to get started with something for next year but will all the talk about expanded playoffs and Houston moving to the A.L. we'll have to see if this actually takes place.

If the MLBPA votes this off season to allow the move of the Astros the schedules will have to be redone (although they probably already have a rough draft ready to go in case...)

Lip

If the Astros move to the AL West, then it would mean more interleague games overall and the need to have interleague matchups spread across the entire season.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Hit;

I don't have a problem with that.

And according to The Sporting News, there is also a chance K.C. gets moved to the west and Houston goes into the central.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Cool, thanks. Hopefully the Cards and the Brewers games will be on weekends. I will be having gatherings for both. Hopefully, the Sox will do better this time than the last time I saw them in Busch.
Wasn't that way back in 2000 or something? I seem to recall it being an odd 3-game series that started on a Thursday and ended on a Saturday. I think it was right after the all star break.

doublem23
08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Wasn't that way back in 2000 or something? I seem to recall it being an odd 3-game series that started on a Thursday and ended on a Saturday. I think it was right after the all star break.

Do series ever run Thursday-Saturday?

The last time the Sox played in St. Louis was in June 2001, Friday-Sunday, and were swept by the Redbirds.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=STL&from=1901&to=2011&submit=Submit

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Do series ever run Thursday-Saturday?

The last time the Sox played in St. Louis was in June 2001, Friday-Sunday, and were swept by the Redbirds.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=STL&from=1901&to=2011&submit=Submit
Woops! That was a HOME series against the Cards in 2000. But, it still was a Thursday - Saturday series, with a new series against Milwaukee starting on a Sunday and going through Tuesday. Those odd 3-game series were followed by a 2-game series vs. the Twins.

So, 2001 was the last time we traveled there. That's way too infrequent.

jdm2662
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Woops! That was a HOME series against the Cards in 2000. But, it still was a Thursday - Saturday series, with a new series against Milwaukee starting on a Sunday and going through Tuesday. Those odd 3-game series were followed by a 2-game series vs. the Twins.

So, 2001 was the last time we traveled there. That's way too infrequent.

Yes, it was 2001. I went to all three games that weekend. They got their asses kicked all three games, and it was hotter than hell all three games. They don't get much lake breeze in St. Louis...

Milw
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Hit;

And according to The Sporting News, there is also a chance K.C. gets moved to the west and Houston goes into the central.

Lip
Why wouldn't they want to put Houston and Texas in the same division? Seems like a no-brainer. Not to mention that would dramatically increase travel time/costs for KC.

That bizarre note aside, I'd be fine with year-round interleague, so long as it remains relatively unbalanced, a la how the NBA and NFL do it.

NDSox12
08-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Lip

The expanded playoffs could start next year, but my guess is realignment won't happen until 2013 at the earliest.

Tragg
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Why wouldn't they want to put Houston and Texas in the same division? Seems like a no-brainer. Not to mention that would dramatically increase travel time/costs for KC.

That bizarre note aside, I'd be fine with year-round interleague, so long as it remains relatively unbalanced, a la how the NBA and NFL do it.

They don't really have a rivalry, but I guess they could develop one. Houston doesn't have a rival with any NL team anyway, so moving them makes sense, and that will seriously ease a lot of the travel concerns out west. I think it will be good for the Astros and the AL west teams.

Lamp81
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Hit;

Lip

I have no problem with this. Kansas City seems to be a team on the rise, and always plays well against us anyway. I think we have a better chance of beating the Astros for the next few years.

I like how we open in Texas. Good to see us open in a warm weather city, where the weather shouldn't be a problem. I don't mind playing the first 10 games on the road, as then our home games get pushed back farther in the year, which should bring better weather.

We should do our West Coast trip early in April as well.

amsteel
08-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Unlikely, but moving the Brewers back to the ALC would respark rivalries with the Sox and Twins. the MIL-Cubs rivalry is tired now that Cubs fans are back to being Friday-Sunday Wrigley Field only ephemeral creatures. The Brewers gave away 20K tickets to the series against the Cubs last week. But after a presumptive playoff run this year, the Brew won't need an attendance boost next year the same way Houston or TB will.

I am fascinated by the Thurs-Sat STL, Sun-Tues MIL series in 2000, I cannot remember seeing anything like that. Does anyone have any insight as to why that was?

thomas35forever
08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
The Astros also came here in '07. They took 2 of 3 from us. I was at the first of those games and it's the last time I was in the lower concourse.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Amsteel:

As long as Selig is around the Brewers aren't going back to the A.L.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm (probably) there for the St. Louis series. I've been waiting years for that. It would have been nice to play Florida on the road just to see that new ballpark.

Parrothead
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Have we ever played the Mets?

One 3 game series in 2002 at home. Sox were 2-1 against them.

Who knows...the way bud schedules teams maybe in 2020.

russ99
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Amsteel:

As long as Selig is around the Brewers aren't going back to the A.L.

Lip

Which is why he should recuse himself from any league switching discussions.

Bud is already hated in Houston for his epic mis-handling of the Hurricane Ike situation, moving a home series at the last minute vs. the Cubs to Milwaukee (with the players leaving their families behind) and the whole roof issue in the 2005 series.

Putting Houston in a division with Texas makes more sense for Texas than Houston, and there is zero rivalry despite the forced interleague series.

I've still heard no word that Jim Crane will accept any realignment, in fact he's quoted as saying his offer is for "buying a NL team".

They don't really have a rivalry, but I guess they could develop one. Houston doesn't have a rival with any NL team anyway, so moving them makes sense, and that will seriously ease a lot of the travel concerns out west. I think it will be good for the Astros and the AL west teams.

Really, where are you getting your info from? The Astros have been rivals with the Cardinals (their minor league team played in Houston for decades), the Cubs and Reds from the beginning in 1962. They are their biggest ticket draws. The Rangers don't draw squat, and neither would the other AL West teams. They used to have a rivalry with the Dodgers in the 2-division format, but I don't see them moving into the AL.

Bud's trying to sell a bill of goods that 6-7 games with the Red Sox and Yankees would make up for 18-20 games vs their real rivals.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I am fascinated by the Thurs-Sat STL, Sun-Tues MIL series in 2000, I cannot remember seeing anything like that. Does anyone have any insight as to why that was?
The reason I vividly remember it was because I remember Hawk making a big deal out of Saturday's game being the "last game of this series."

It so happened that interleague play was straddled around the all star break that year, so I think that had something to do with it, since not every team gets that day off. The Sox' first game back from the all star break fell on a Thursday. Like I said before, a 2-game series with Minnesota on Wednesday and Thursday off-set the non-standard start to the post-all star break scheduling for the Sox.

dickallen15
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
The reason I vividly remember it was because I remember Hawk making a big deal out of Saturday's game being the "last game of this series."

It so happened that interleague play was straddled around the all star break that year, so I think that had something to do with it, since not every team gets that day off. The Sox' first game back from the all star break fell on a Thursday. Like I said before, a 2-game series with Minnesota on Wednesday and Thursday off-set the non-standard start to the post-all star break scheduling for the Sox.

You've got just about everything right except the year. It was in 1999.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
You've got just about everything right except the year. It was in 1999.
Actually, it happened in BOTH 1999 AND 2000! :o:

The only difference was that, in '99, the interleague series were on the road, while in '00, the interleague series were at home. Both 2-game series with Minnesota that followed, though, were in the Dome.

Red Barchetta
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Sox v. Brewers = awesome.

I would love it if the Brewers came back to the AL Central and the Royals were moved to the NL Central.

Zakath
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Hit;

Lip

That doesn't make a lot of sense from either team's prospective. Move Houston out of the NL Central where at least they're somewhat close to St. Louis and have been in the same division with the Reds for over 40 years to be in a division where the team closest to them geographically is Chicago with no natural rivalries? And KC goes from a Midwest based division to where three of their four division opponents are on the West Coast?

At least with the Astros in the AL West, the three West Coast teams can play both them and the Rangers in the same road trip, saving on travel costs.

kingpin_rcs
08-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Sox in St. Louis?!? I have family in St. Louis, now I have a reason to visit! LOL!

gf2020
08-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Stoked to see the Sox in actual LA again. Had a ton of fun in 2008. Hope their fan base stays in the crapper, so I can get insane tickets dirt cheap.

Milw
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I have no problem with this. Kansas City seems to be a team on the rise, and always plays well against us anyway.
:rolleyes:

Kansas City has been "a team on the rise" since about 2002.

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Wasn't there a 1 game "series" against the Brewers sometime in the 90s? Memory hazy, could be wrong.

Foulke You
08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Wasn't there a 1 game "series" against the Brewers sometime in the 90s? Memory hazy, could be wrong.
Since 2000, the Sox had a 3 game interleague series in 2001 and 2009 vs. the Brewers and both were at Miller Park.

Lamp81
08-10-2011, 11:43 PM

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=1995&t=CHA

It was the '95 season, as the schedule had all sorts of quirks after the labor issue was settled and the players came back for a shortened season. Also, the Brewers were in the AL Central at that time, so we had a lot of games against them.

We opened the season with a 2 game home and home with the Brewers and hosted a 1 game series on 7/12 before going to Milwaukee for a 4 game series and hosted 1 gamers on 8/28 & 9/21. We went to Milwaukee for a 1 gamer on 6/29.

The schedule makers must have felt that since Milwaukee and Chicago are just a short bus ride away, they could get schedule the games this way.

I also seem to remember that a lot of series were Thur-Sat and Sun-Tues/Wed in that 1995 season.

nut_stock
08-10-2011, 11:57 PM
**** Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im from St. Louis, I have been waiting for this the past 3 years... 3 games here I come!! Cheap bleacher seats on stubhub.. Get there WAY early and get autographs and talk to some of the players. I cant wait
Thanks for the post, best news in awhile

I'm pretty excited about this one too. I live 15 minutes from Busch Stadium!

chisox12
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Hopefully that Dodgers series falls on a weekend...I have a friend out in LA to stay with and I really want to see Dodger stadium.

robertks61
08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Since 2000, the Sox had a 3 game interleague series in 2001 and 2009 vs. the Brewers and both were at Miller Park.

Wow, this will be the Brewers first historic trip to Chicago since 1997!

AZChiSoxFan
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
When are they going to come back to San Diego? They have played here once in 2005 and that is it.

I feel for you.

I live in Phoenix. The Sox played here in 2003, then not again until this year.

There was a point during that stretch in which the Twins played here 3 years in a row. :angry:

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I feel for you.

I live in Phoenix. The Sox played here in 2003, then not again until this year.

There was a point during that stretch in which the Twins played here 3 years in a row. :angry:
There is no reason for there to not be a regular rotation. NO REASON!

Lip Man 1
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Heard from someone in the Sox front office today on the Houston / Arizona to the A.L. issue.

They said it was still on the table (with surprisingly now Arizona appearing to be the choice, was told their ownership would do "almost anything" to get into the A.L.) but probably not until 2013. (Which would mean I guess a team from the N.L. Central would have to be switched to the N.L. West since Selig wants three divisions, five teams in each.)

Was also told the Sox were very pleased with the initial draft of the 2012 schedule but then in the ensuing week MLB changed it and the Sox are not happy about the interleague setup particularly from a travel standpoint.

They also said the initial draft had better interleague games both home and road for the Sox than what they've now apparently been stuck with.

Lip

Tragg
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Heard from someone in the Sox front office today on the Houston / Arizona to the A.L. issue.

They said it was still on the table (with surprisingly now Arizona appearing to be the choice, was told their ownership would do "almost anything" to get into the A.L.) but probably not until 2013. (Which would mean I guess a team from the N.L. Central would have to be switched to the N.L. West since Selig wants three divisions, five teams in each.)

Was also told the Sox were very pleased with the initial draft of the 2012 schedule but then in the ensuing week MLB changed it and the Sox are not happy about the interleague setup particularly from a travel standpoint.

They also said the initial draft had better interleague games both home and road for the Sox than what they've now apparently been stuck with.

Lip

If they move Arizona to the AL west and a NL central team to the NL west, then you have both Wests with central time zone outlier. If they move Houston, then the NL has no outliers, and the AL has a pair, to minimize the travel.

Houston makes much more sense.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Tragg:

I can only pass along with this person in the front office told me, that Arizona appears to be the choice and their ownership really wants to do it.

We'll see.

Lip

kaufsox
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Tragg:

I can only pass along with this person in the front office told me, that Arizona appears to be the choice and their ownership really wants to do it.

We'll see.

Lip

admittedly, my pipe dream is to have Milwaukee come over, and move KC to the west. I don't know why, but all those years of KC being in the old west division makes it seem right. Even so, a balanced league would be a great thing.

whitesoxwin
08-12-2011, 10:58 AM
:smile:Road trip to St. Louis next year!

sox1970
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Tragg:

We'll see.

Lip

Wow, that's surprising considering how they were adamant about stayinig in the NL when the realignment talk started a couple months ago. Wonder what changed, or how much money they'll get paid to do it.

sox1970
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
The series in St. Louis is a weekday series.

June 12-14

Streets
09-13-2011, 12:47 PM

June 12-14

No! Lame.

skobabe8
09-13-2011, 01:04 PM

June 12-14

:angry:

russ99
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
They don't really have a rivalry, but I guess they could develop one. Houston doesn't have a rival with any NL team anyway, so moving them makes sense

Keep saying that. Millions of Astros fans know it to be false.

Jim Crane's comments to the Houston Chronicle could mean the Astros may be looking for a new buyer - if he's not approved by November 1st, he's out.

And again, he's not very interested in a move to the AL. Rightfully so since a large majority of the fanbase is dead set against it.

kittle42
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM

June 12-14

Bleh. That really sucks.

amsteel
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Did the schedule get released?

sox1970
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Tomorrow

stl_sox_fan
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM

June 12-14

Looks like I'll be taking some vacation days next June. 10 years ago I remember watching a rookie by the name of Pujols playing RF.

roylestillman
09-14-2011, 11:06 AM
MLB's press release is out on the 2012 season. Does anybody have a link to the actual schedule.

The release mentions the renewal of rivalries among teams, including the White Sox/Dodgers. Who keeps pushing this "rivalry?" is it because of the World Series of 52 years ago or is it Jerry's favorite childhood team the Brooklyn Dodgers?

Chez
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
MLB's press release is out on the 2012 season. Does anybody have a link to the actual schedule.

The release mentions the renewal of rivalries among teams, including the White Sox/Dodgers. Who keeps pushing this "rivalry?" is it because of the World Series of 52 years ago or is it Jerry's favorite childhood team the Brooklyn Dodgers?

You must not be keeping up with the Dodgers. Mike MacDougal is one of their best set-up guys. This rivalry is all about Mike MacDougal.

FielderJones
09-14-2011, 11:28 AM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110914&content_id=24680480&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

WhiffleBall
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110914&content_id=24680480&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Another cubs weekday series? It seemed like they were rotating that every other year with one Chicago team getting the weekend seriers and the other getting it on weekdays. It's probably for the best becuase those games will sell well no matter what and the Brewers are coming in that next weekend.

dwitt76
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Cubs series at home is mid week. Home opener on a friday :gulp:

kittle42
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I like the schedule, except I wish the STL series was on the weekend. I'll still hopefully make it down there for the Thursday game.

amsteel
09-14-2011, 11:48 AM
15 games against NYY & Bos, thanks schedule makers.

sox1970
09-14-2011, 12:02 PM

At least they aren't back-to-back ever.

sox1970
09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Right after the all-star break....3 at KC, 4 at Bos, 3 at Det

Other than that, I don't see a lot that looks like a brutal stretch.

Fewer long trips than this year, that's for sure.

sox1970
09-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Tigers play the Yankees and Red Sox 10 games...each. Feel better?