PDA

View Full Version : North's White Sox Radio Commercial Parody

Viva Magglio
08-07-2001, 01:33 PM
Most of you are familiar with the radio ad the White Sox are running about the uncle who takes his nephew to his first White Sox game. I'll admit that it's a corny spot, but the line ends the nephew asking "What do they make there?" and the uncle responding "Memories, kid. Memories."

Well, Mike North has decided to do a parody of this ad. Playing the role of the uncle, he does the commercial with the focus being Stateway Gardens instead of Comiskey Park. The tagline this time is "Gangbangers, kid. Gangbangers."

This parody is nothing short of a distorted shot at our ballpark and the neighborhood. Stateway Gardens is, no doubt, a rough place to live. However, it is across the Dan Ryan Expressway and not within the immediate confines of the ballpark. The neighborhood around the ballpark is a nice neighborhood. Sure, there may have been a handful of incidents there in recent years. Nevertheless, North stereotyped the Comiskey Park neighborhood as unsafe which it is not.

You know, the Score lets hosts like this get away with such moronic parodies, yet they dump better hosts over some lame excuse about misuse of credentials. Go figure.

Joel Perez
08-07-2001, 01:41 PM
It only goes to show you what happens when a sheltered little Cub fan gets to play finally with his toys.

What a wuss. Hides behind a mic and pokes fun at the struggling teams, then backs up the ones who are killing the small market teams. Typical bandwagoner.

:ass "Whadd'ya mean that's not funny?"

Viva Magglio
08-07-2001, 01:41 PM
... to anyone who may have been offensed but "stands" by his "parody." If he is so sorry, why did he do it in the first place?

doublem23
08-07-2001, 01:42 PM
What's even worse is that this guy "pretended" to be a Sox fan last season when everything was going great.

What a stereotypical a$$hole.

:ass
I'm a loser.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 01:51 PM
Are you guys nuts?!!!
North is a died in the wool Sox fan that happens to cheer for the Cubs under the guise of "whatever is good for the Cubs is good for Chicago." That's not typical Sox fan behavior, but so be it.

North would give his life for the good of the Sox. The guy sacrifices political correctness for a laugh once in a while. Either deal with it or don't listen to him.

I also happen to believe that if the Cubs win their division, win a playoff series or two, or even get into the WS, maybe it'll light a fire under the A$$e$ current Sox regime. Ultimately, Cub success could actually help the Sox reach their goal of winning a World Series.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 01:56 PM
If Mike North is a Sox fan, then he's one of the worst Sox fans ever.

And if the Cubs reach the World Series before we do, that will be the end. We'll never hear the end of it.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 02:08 PM
It really shouldn't take a victory by any other team to make our team aspire for sucess. That is a very sad thought indeed.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
And if the Cubs reach the World Series before we do, that will be the end. We'll never hear the end of it.

Don't partake in that "my team is better than your team crap w/ Cub fans."

Let's face it....both teams have a miserable history and have nothing about which to brag, leaving us w/ no hope, other than to hope that we have a better record than the Cubs. Do you realize how much we play into the hands and wishes of the current Sox/Cubs owners when we pay so much attention to whether we're better than the other team in town? Instead of putting together a team that is better than the rest of the division or the whole league, our owners need only make a team that is better than the Cubs to satiate our desires. Well, let me tell you, Reinsdorf and his owner buddies just love fans like you.

Whoopdee friggin doo if we're better than the Cubs. That's tantamount to saying "ha ha, my scab is smaller than your scab!" I want to say "we're better than the whole darned league and we don't really care what the cubs are."

Paulwny
08-07-2001, 02:14 PM
You hit the nail on the head Soxboy.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 02:20 PM
Perhaps, but I don't think that we need the Cubs to reach a World Series just for us to get off our asses.

I'd like to live in your world of make-believe where I can avoid contact with all Cub fans, and maybe when I escape this wretched part of Chicago for college I will be able to see your point, but the fact of the matter from my seat is, if the Cubs make it to the World Series, the world may as well explode.

And I am not more anti-Cub than I am pro-Sox. If the Cubs were to sweep us in the 6 regular season games or so, but we went on to win a World Series and won it all, I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't lament over the fact that we lost 6 straight to the Cubs. Beating the Cubs are a nice pit stop on the road to the World Series.

This isn't like the Bears-Packers thing, were I can just avoid Packer fans. I unfortunately have to see a Cub fan every second of my day.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 02:31 PM

I'd like to live in your world of make-believe where I can avoid contact with all Cub fans, and maybe when I escape this wretched part of Chicago for college I will be able to see your point

Why the need to escape them? I'm surrounded by them. I pour water on their fire by telling them "yep, the Cubs are really good. I think they might make the playoffs this year. They might be the real deal."

That doesn't mean I like the Cubs or root for them, but by acknowledging them and not arguing, it steals their thunder and they're left high and dry. You don't owe Cub fans any explanation for the Sox ills.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 02:34 PM
Obviously you deal with more intelligent Cub fans than I do.

And yes, I will escape them when I finally get out of this city for college and then some. I do plan on returning, but not for 10 or so years.

Iwritecode
08-07-2001, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

I want to say "we're better than the whole darned league and we don't really care what the cubs are."

I remember being able to say that last year. Ahh, the memories.

Fisk Fan
08-07-2001, 05:08 PM
What a prick! I hate that guy! I have slowly been withdrawing from listening to his segment, but it is the only station that comes in clearly where I work.

Is this the same guy who bled black & white last year and loathed the Cubs. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now. He could be the biggest self-promoter since Ronnie Woo-Woo!

I think some of the guys from this message board should invest in a radio station and broadcast about the real Chicago sports. (Not just the front-runners)

PutItOnTheBoard
08-07-2001, 05:54 PM
VivaMagglio, lighten up. Whether or not you like North, the piece was meant to be funny, not an "attack" on the Sox. It's just a joke. I thought it was funny, probably because I think those 'White Sox Baseball' commercials are cheesy and embarassing. "They make memories, kid." Are you kidding me? Who the heck wrote that copy, Norman Rockwell? They need to scrap that whole campaign, it's mealy and pandering. I think that was the point of North's parody.

rmusacch
08-07-2001, 05:56 PM
If Mike North is a Sox fan, then he's one of the worst Sox fans ever.

I might have to end it all if the Cubs reach the World Series before we do.