PDA

View Full Version : Tigers extend Dombrowski and Leyland

Ex-Chicagoan
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
So much for "let's see if we in fact don't choke."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/08/detroit_tigers_extend_dave_dom.html

guillensdisciple
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
This is good news. The Tigers are guaranteed to never win a world series now.

Noneck
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
It makes sense to make a decision to extend a managers contact, for next year at this time of season.

asindc
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
So much for "let's see if we in fact don't choke."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/08/detroit_tigers_extend_dave_dom.html

I was talking with a Tigers fan recently who is convinced that the Sox will when the division. "Our annual swoon hasn't happened yet, but it will" were his exact words.

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
That's too bad because if the Sox were to fire Kenny I would have loved to have Dombrowski as our GM. He has a pretty good track record building teams.

Rocky Soprano
08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
That's too bad because if the Sox were to fire Kenny I would have loved to have Dombrowski as our GM. He has a pretty good track record building teams.

No thank you!

asindc
08-08-2011, 03:54 PM

I know a couple of Tigers fans who would welcome a trade of GMs.

Hitmen77
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Am I right that Dombrowski was once in the White Sox organization?

jdm2662
08-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Am I right that Dombrowski was once in the White Sox organization?

If I remember correctly, he was Roland's right hand man, but Lip would be a better source for this.

PaleHoser
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
IIRC, Dombrowski left the Sox after Larry Himes was hired.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
He started out with Roland as an intern and worked his way up to his assistant. Hawk fired him.

Dave has had a track record of success. He built the Expos farm system that was among the best in baseball, won a World Series with Florida (he used Huzinga's money correctly) and got the Tigers to the playoffs.

He's from Chicago, grew up with the Sox and knows and understands the fan base.

“Jerry Reinsdorf always treated me well when I worked for the White Sox organization. Most people that work for Jerry would express the same sentiments. Jerry Reinsdorf was extremely supportive of me at this time, and actually gave me the opportunity to re-enter the organization. However, it did not seem to be the appropriate thing, since my dismissal was based upon philosophical differences with Ken Harrelson. So Jerry offered me the opportunity to be paid by the White Sox organization until I found another job. He did not set any time limits on this even though their was no signed contract between the organization and me. He continued to carry me on the benefits package that the White Sox organization had and continued to help me in whatever fashion he could.” – Dave Dombrowski (current G.M. of the Detroit Tigers) to Dan Helpingstein. From the book ‘Through Hope And Despair’ by Dan Helpingstein. Pgs. 207-208. Published 2001.

Lip

asindc
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
He started out with Roland as an intern and worked his way up to his assistant. Hawk fired him.

Dave has had a track record of success. He built the Expos farm system that was among the best in baseball, won a World Series with Florida (he used Huzinga's money correctly) and got the Tigers to the playoffs.

He's from Chicago, grew up with the Sox and knows and understands the fan base.

“Jerry Reinsdorf always treated me well when I worked for the White Sox organization. Most people that work for Jerry would express the same sentiments. Jerry Reinsdorf was extremely supportive of me at this time, and actually gave me the opportunity to re-enter the organization. However, it did not seem to be the appropriate thing, since my dismissal was based upon philosophical differences with Ken Harrelson. So Jerry offered me the opportunity to be paid by the White Sox organization until I found another job. He did not set any time limits on this even though their was no signed contract between the organization and me. He continued to carry me on the benefits package that the White Sox organization had and continued to help me in whatever fashion he could.” – Dave Dombrowski (current G.M. of the Detroit Tigers) to Dan Helpingstein. From the book ‘Through Hope And Despair’ by Dan Helpingstein. Pgs. 207-208. Published 2001.

Lip

He is also a proud graduate of Western Michigan University.:smile:

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I know a couple of Tigers fans who would welcome a trade of GMs.

I would make that trade every day of the week as a White Sox fan. He built the 1994 Expos team that looked like it was going to win the World Series, built the 1997 Marlins and then dismantled that team and got most of the pieces for the 2003 Marlins then turned the Tigers from a 103 loss team into a pennant winner in 3 years. He also knows how to build a farm system, something Kenny has never done.

jdm2662
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I would make that trade every day of the week as a White Sox fan. He built the 1994 Expos team that looked like it was going to win the World Series, built the 1997 Marlins and then dismantled that team and got most of the pieces for the 2003 Marlins then turned the Tigers from a 103 loss team into a pennant winner in 3 years. He also knows how to build a farm system, something Kenny has never done.

You are a little too kind. They lost 119 games in 2003.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd take Dombrowski and you can keep Leyland. That being said, the Tigers will cool off soon and we'll catch them.

PalehosePlanet
08-11-2011, 02:43 AM

Kenny was our director of minor league operations and player development from 1995-2000. The Sox had the number #1 ranked minor league system in 2000.