PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Comments On Dunn

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Says he needs to work more in the off season:

"He has to stay in shape now. He's not 22 years old anymore. He's playing in a league that requires more physical and mental things. I don't care what people say. National League pitching isn't the same as the American League pitching. Now he has to learn and prepare himself better."

I don't know if Ozzie is saying something between the lines about Dunn's conditioning going into this season or not.

Lip

Noneck
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
If he said it before the season, thats one thing, but after the fact is just hindsight.

DrCrawdad
08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
If he said it before the season, thats one thing, but after the fact is just hindsight.

True but it's also a clear statement of what Ozzie expects from Dunn going into next season.

Madvora
08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
True but it's also a clear statement of what Ozzie expects from Dunn going into next season.
I hope Ozzie is expecting this from his couch.

Brian26
08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Says he needs to work more in the off season:

"He has to stay in shape now. He's not 22 years old anymore. He's playing in a league that requires more physical and mental things. I don't care what people say. National League pitching isn't the same as the American League pitching. Now he has to learn and prepare himself better."

I don't know if Ozzie is saying something between the lines about Dunn's conditioning going into this season or not.

Lip

**** Ozzie. Talk about covering his own ass for sticking Dunn in the 4-hole months after he proved he should have been moved down in the order. What purpose does this serve by talking about this with the media? Same as Bobby Jenks. If all else fails, blame the players for being fat in front of the media. That'll teach them. Especially a DH.

balke
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
**** Ozzie. Talk about covering his own ass for sticking Dunn in the 4-hole months after he proved he should have been moved down in the order. What purpose does this serve by talking about this with the media? Same as Bobby Jenks. If all else fails, blame the players for being fat in front of the media. That'll teach them. Especially a DH.

I don't know if it is necessarily a fat joke. Dunn watched a ball go to his right yesterday that went into right field that PK would've gotten standing.

Probably ties into his last comments - Ozzie doesn't like pure DHs. I think he has every right to say it if he's going to look that bad in the field and produces zero at the plate.

Ozzie even used to go after Frank - he just doesn't want that kind of ballplayer on his team. Don't be soft or lazy and work hard year round.

Brian26
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't know if it is necessarily a fat joke. Dunn watched a ball go to his right yesterday that went into right field that PK would've gotten standing.

Dunn wasn't signed for his defense though. I'm not sure what context Ozzie's comments came in, but I thought it was a fair assumption that it was concerning his performance at the plate.

Noneck
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM

I am sure Dunn realizes that couches and cheese burgers worked for 8 years but father time has now arrived.

Jurr
08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I really don't see a problem with this criticism. The man has struggled, and coming into camp out of shape at 32 is going to hinder progress.

Obviously, the man is experiencing a biological change, and it has affected his effort on the field. If it's taking him even a fraction of a second longer to generate bat speed on a fastball, he loses time in decision making.

A professional must know that the body is going to break down over time, and rigorous training is needed to fight this. It's a wake up call.

Hell, I am a friggin' dentist and I have to work out five times a week, do yoga, and watch what I eat to keep my back healthy. It's a commitment towards being able to perform my job at its highest level.

A baseball player that gets paid 15+ million a year needs more work than that, and Dunn is learning this tough lesson. He was almost boastful about the time he takes off during the winter. He just needs to re-prioritize.

Actually, he doesn't. He has put enough time in and made enough money to ride off into the sunset. If he has professional pride and cares about baseball, he'll bust his ass in the gym and focus on his craft like he should.

asindc
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I really don't see a problem with this criticism. The man has struggled, and coming into camp out of shape at 32 is going to hinder progress.

Obviously, the man is experiencing a biological change, and it has affected his effort on the field. If it's taking him even a fraction of a second longer to generate bat speed on a fastball, he loses time in decision making.

A professional must know that the body is going to break down over time, and rigorous training is needed to fight this. It's a wake up call.

Hell, I am a friggin' dentist and I have to work out five times a week, do yoga, and watch what I eat to keep my back healthy. It's a commitment towards being able to perform my job at its highest level.

A baseball player that gets paid 15+ million a year needs more work than that, and Dunn is learning this tough lesson. He was almost boastful about the time he takes off during the winter. He just needs to re-prioritize.

Actually, he doesn't. He has put enough time in and made enough money to ride off into the sunset. If he has professional pride and cares about baseball, he'll bust his ass in the gym and focus on his craft like he should.

There is nothing wrong with the criticism. Some are just blasting the messenger.

Noneck
08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with the criticism. Some are just blasting the messenger.

If Dunn said he wasnt going to change his off season habits that would be one thing, but what ozwaldo is saying, I bet is very obvious to Dunn.

HomeFish
08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Is there any evidence that Dunn disagrees?

34rancher
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Is there any evidence that Dunn disagrees?

I don't understand waiting until the offseason. He obviously needs to start a program a lot sooner, as in a month ago. So the fact that he has not started it now seems to indicate that he is not gung ho on changing.

soxfanreggie
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM

That's pretty much it when you're talking guaranteed contracts for these guys even if they're out of shape or playing too poorly.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 11:56 PM
They said tonite on the Red Sox/Yankee game that Big Poppy lost weight this year and it has helped him get a better rotation at the plate.
Why would Ozzie say it before the season when Dunn has hit 38-42 homers for 7 straight years? You give him the benefit of the doubt til he proves he cannot do it,and Dunn has proven it.

I agree with everything Ozzie says,including the NL to AL deal.

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2011, 11:59 PM
They said tonite on the Red Sox/Yankee game that Big Poppy lost weight this year and it has helped him get a better rotation at the plate.
Why would Ozzie say it before the season when Dunn has hit 38-42 homers for 7 straight years? You give him the benefit of the doubt til he proves he cannot do it,and Dunn has proven it.

I agree with everything Ozzie says,including the NL to AL deal.It's Big Papi.

hawkjt
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
It's Big Papi.

Its past midnite,and I just watched a marathon Red Sox/Yankee game...who cares?

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Its past midnite,and I just watched a marathon Red Sox/Yankee game...who cares?Obviously not you.

A poppy is a freaking flower.

hawkjt
08-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Obviously not you.

I apologize to you,Big Papi,his family,and all of his fans,and their families,and all the Red Sox nation,and all of their families....ok?

DSpivack
08-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Obviously not you.

I think Big Poppy is a nickname the cowardly lion picked up on one unfortunate detour on the foursome's trip to the Emerald City.

soxfan1965
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM
What Ozzie says seems obvious but is correct and needs to be said, taking nothing for granted. Since Dunn is virtually untradable, the offseason is crucial. But I think it starts with attitude, like Fisk, which resulted in his rigourous training program after injuries that turned around his career. As Fregosi noted, "Pudge works harder than anyone I know, because he sets goals for himself and then follows through. I think he's the ultimate professional". Dunn may have gotten by in the past not doing much in the offseason, but now all bets are off with his performance, shape and age. As a professional with high pay, will he use the offseason to get in top shape, study AL pitchers via film, make adjustments to swing, even defense despite DH status? The season is not the time for doing this, the foundation for learning, training, getting in shape is the offseason, as Ozzie may have pointed out last week. Probably ditto Rios.

kittle42
08-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Its past midnite,and I just watched a marathon Red Sox/Yankee game...who cares?

I apologize to you,Big Papi,his family,and all of his fans,and their families,and all the Red Sox nation,and all of their families....ok?

Gotta love when people take pride in their mistakes.

wassagstdu
08-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Whatever shape he may or may not have been in, surgery at the beginning of the season weakened his abdominal muscles and set him back significantly, probably messed up the timing of his swing. If he had been in superb shape that may not have been as significant, and in previous years his poor conditioning was less significant, but the two together produced what we see today. Just a theory.

dickallen15
08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Did people not see Adam Dunn until this year? So many are assuming he's put on 40 lbs since last season. If anything he's lighter now than the last few years. He does have to change his offseason routine, but Ozzie giving him a "mental break" and going public with this is silly.

4 days ago he called Sox fans idiots for thinking Dunn shouldn't be hitting clean up.

Bucky F. Dent
08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Yesterday Dunn was shown on TV greeting Rios (of all people) as he came to the dugout after scoring a run. My first reaction on seeing Dunn was "Holy crap! That dude is out of shape!"

asindc
08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Did people not see Adam Dunn until this year? So many are assuming he's put on 40 lbs since last season. If anything he's lighter now than the last few years. He does have to change his offseason routine, but Ozzie giving him a "mental break" and going public with this is silly.

4 days ago he called Sox fans idiots for thinking Dunn shouldn't be hitting clean up.

Nothing silly about it at all, whether or not Ozzie has Dunn batting cleanup (I don't think he should, either, for the record). Ozzie is addressing an obvious problem in a manner many other coaches have done over the years. Nothing wrong with that at all.

soxfan1965
08-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Finally, an acknowledgement from Dunn that he will change his off season routine that will include hitting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0809-white-sox-bits--20110809,0,179189.story

PalehosePlanet
08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Hopefully Paulie, being the captain of this team and having gone through the same realization during the 2008 season, has approached Dunn and spoken to him about his experience. Paulie realized that his body was changing and in order to avoid being dinged up and avoid feeling run down he had to change his off season routine and start working out.

This is a situation where Paulie can be a huge positive influence on Adam. I'm expecting Adam to be in the best condition of his life next season and come in to camp with a chip on his shoulder.

palehozenychicty
08-09-2011, 10:37 AM
It couldn't be more obvious, from the appendectomy onward. He's looked slow on many levels. We'll see if he can give us anything the remainder of this year. If not, then he needs to prove people wrong in '12. Or else.