PDA

View Full Version : My case for getting Chuck Finley

MaggPipes
07-12-2002, 08:22 PM
Ok, before you decide to castrate me hear me out? OK?

Here are my points:

1) Finley is in the last year of his contract

2) Injuns want to dump salary

3) Could be goten cheap by a NORMAL GM

4) He is a lefty

5) He is a veteran

6) He would be our #2 by numbers, we would give him better run support.....
NAME GP GS W L S HLD SVO CG SH IP H R ER HR BB K RS P/G

WHIP ERA

Chuck Finley 17 17 4 11 0 0 0 1 0 102.0 107 49 45 6 43 87 3.2

98.4 1.47 3.97

Ok, let the bashing of my idea commence!!

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Why?

There is going to be a strike, so there is no point to going out and trading for a free agent.

Daver
07-12-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Why?

There is going to be a strike, so there is no point to going out and trading for a free agent.

Bingo!!

And a bad one at that.......

MisterB
07-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
5) He is a veteran

6) He would be our #2 by numbers, we would give him better run support.....

That's what they said about Ritchie... :o:

Chisox_cali
07-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Seriously though, if there wan't a strike this year how would you guys react? Because when ever you guys talk about it you say it so matter of factly "There will be a strike." Not everything is for sure.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Seriously though, if there wan't a strike this year how would you guys react? Because when ever you guys talk about it you say it so matter of factly "There will be a strike." Not everything is for sure.

Even if their wasn't, I don't want him.

What I'd like to see is all this garbage off the roster and the kids up. Give me "The Kids are back part 2; It's payback time".

Daver
07-12-2002, 08:53 PM

There is a precedent for it.The CBA has expired nine time in the last thirty years,evry time it has expired there has been a work stoppage or a lockout of some sort,do you really think this time will be any different?

That being said I would still not support going after Chuck Finley.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by daver
That being said I would still not support going after Chuck Finley.

I'm tied of getting old and washed up Indians. If we're going to get someone from the Indians it better be Jim Thome.

Chisox_cali
07-12-2002, 08:58 PM

There is a precedent for it.The CBA has expired nine time in the last thirty years,evry time it has expired there has been a work stoppage or a lockout of some sort,do you really think this time will be any different?

Oh I really don't know if there's going to be a strike, I'm not that smart, I don't know jack squat about the economics of baseball, hell I hated taking economics in HS, I'm just saying that not all things are for sure anytime, you can't say "I will win the lottery" because you don't know if you will until the numbers are announced, but you could say "I think I will win the lottery" that's your opinion your not stating a fact.

I don't want Chuck Finely either, I prefer the Sox rocking him when every they meet. That other stament had nothing to do with him anyway.

Daver
07-12-2002, 09:01 PM

Oh I really don't know if there's going to be a strike, I'm not that smart, I don't know jack squat about the economics of baseball, hell I hated taking economics in HS, I'm just saying that not all things are for sure anytime, you can't say "I will win the lottery" because you don't know if you will until the numbers are announced, but you could say "I think I will win the lottery" that's your opinion your not stating a fact.

I'm dumber than a stump,but I can see a trend,and 9 for 9 is a definate trend.

Chisox_cali
07-12-2002, 09:06 PM

I'm dumber than a stump,but I can see a trend,and 9 for 9 is a definate trend.

Well your smarter than me when it comes to economics of baseball, I don't even know what any of the main stuff even means. All I'm saying is unless you have a time machine you don't know for sure that there will be a strike or you will win the lottery. You can assume that there will be a strike, but I just don't like it when people state things matter of factly when there is not a 100% chance of it being true.

But of course I can't change what everybody does......just not yet :D:

Daver
07-12-2002, 09:15 PM

I don't know jack squat about the economics of baseball,

You can learn more about Baseball Economics here. (http://vls.law.vill.edu/students/orgs/sports/back_issues/volume4/issue1/major.html)

Chisox_cali
07-12-2002, 09:50 PM

You can learn more about Baseball Economics here. (http://vls.law.vill.edu/students/orgs/sports/back_issues/volume4/issue1/major.html)

Not a chance in hell daver :D: Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little long.

Daver
07-12-2002, 09:53 PM

Not a chance in hell daver :D: Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little long.

Just a little light reading........

MarkEdward
07-12-2002, 10:56 PM

I'm tied of getting old and washed up Indians. If we're going to get someone from the Indians it better be Jim Thome.

Are you serious? Where would you play him?

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Are you serious? Where would you play him?

Sure. The point I was making was that if we're going to get players from the Indians, how about someone good for a change?

I'd ship Thomas out first chance I got. Or I'd deal Konerko for a good starter.

I love Frank, but if he's not going to work with Hriniak or seek some help, then he's of no use to the team.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 11:07 PM

I'd ship Thomas out first chance I got. Or I'd deal Konerko for a good starter.

jerry, you would trade Paulie and keep thome?

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
jerry, you would trade Paulie and keep thome?

I'd get rid of Frank before Paul.

Konerko's value is real high right now, but we know who our GM is.

Daver
07-12-2002, 11:21 PM

I'd get rid of Frank before Paul.

Konerko's value is real high right now, but we know who our GM is.

Konerko is a guy you build a team around,similar to the way the 93 team was built around Frank.

WinningUgly!
07-13-2002, 12:43 AM
Why the hell would we want anything to do with Chuck Finley? If we want a lefthanded, dead-arm throwing BP every 5th day, all we'd have to do is call Jimmy Parque back up from Charlotte. I'm sure the Knights are sick of him by now. :D: