PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/7 Hey buddy, can you spare a broom? postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2011, 04:42 PM
A complete victory in all facets of the game.

soxinem1
08-07-2011, 04:42 PM
First sweep in Minnesota since 2004. Wow!

Nice job by Jake and our hitters today against a guy they have had issues with in the past.

Now let's shoot down those Orioles!!!:bandance::bandance:

DumpJerry
08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
First sweep in the Frozen North for the Good Guys since 2004.
Peavy: you're a beast (and a medical miracle)!
Good to see the South Side Lumber Company getting some work.

A fundamentally sound sweep.

voodoochile
Wow! 5 more just like that one Jake!

Nice to see Rios getting some hits last few nights too.

Lillibeast continues his role!

TCQ is on fire!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

gobears1987
If only we could do this earlier in the season.

doublem23
Well that exorcised a lot of demons.

DumpJerry
08-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Some people started postgame threads before the game ended.....

voodoochile
Oh and one more thing...

:sweep

mccoydp
I can't figure this team out. I would never have guessed that they would sweep the Twinkies!

:winner

johnnyg83
Every time I try to get out ... they sox me back in!

soxinem1
08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Well that exorcised a lot of demons.

We will see if that is true when these two teams play again.

All I know is plenty of payback is due.

voodoochile
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM

They may have hit submit when the popup left the bat. I cheated and kept my thread name anyway, cuz I wanted to and I just don't care.

I'm a mean evil cranky Pollyanna boss...:tongue: :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
Let's hope the Sox no longer allow themselves to be intimidated by the Twins.

The Sox played solid, fundamental baseball this entire weekend.

Boondock Saint
:winner:

:twinslose:

:bandance:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Besr series of the year? Way to go!!! Take it to the O's, and continue to play good baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
They may have hit submit when the popup left the bat. I cheated and kept my thread name anyway, cuz I wanted to and I just don't care.

I'm a mean evil cranky Pollyanna boss...:tongue: :cool:

I hit submit as soon as the ball landed in the glove, and I still like my thread title better.

:tongue:

October26
Sox :sweep Twins!

H A P P I N E S S !!! :) :) :)

soxinem1
Every time I try to get out ... they sox me back in!

That's a good thread title!!:bandance:

Zakath
08-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Whoever saw this coming after the train wreck against the Yankees needs to pick me 5 numbers between 1 and 59.

Two good outings in a row by Jake (we'll never know if he could have done this yesterday), a second good game in a row from Rios (who's now up to .215), and Lillibeast showing again that he'll play any position at any time (for those who haven't realized it, he's now played every field position outside of catcher since he's been a Sox).

Time to head to Baltimore, and see if we can minimize the damage that Nick Markakis usually does to us.

soxinem1
08-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I hit submit as soon as the ball landed in the glove, and I still like my thread title better.

As did I, and I feel the same about mine!!! :D:

I guess too many posters have index fingers on the juice...

ChiSoxGal85
08-07-2011, 04:49 PM
A very Sweet Sweep.

I realize that the Twins aren't the Yankees...but where were these guys earlier this week at home against the Yanks?

And who finally found the "On-off" switch on Rios and flipped it back on?

I'll watch the game in its entirety later, but I *do* love me a 3-game winning streak and wanted to celebrate. And yes, they've sucked me back in again.

Zakath
08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Outside of the 3-run first on Friday night, fueled by a Dunn error, the Twins managed 1 run the rest of the series.

That's some awesome pitching.

Whoever said this was the best series of the year, you're right.

gobears1987
How is this for baseball memory? It's such a rare occasion for the Sox to sweep the Twins that I remember all the details of the last time it happened. It was a Thursday afternoon game at the dome. The Sox won 2-1 in a duel between Garland and Santana. All the runs came in the 1st inning (at least that's what I remember). The Sox got theirs on a 2 run shot by Caballo and the Twinkies had a solo shot by Sox killer Lew Ford.

F4L
I just don't get it, but I'll take it.

KC up in the 7th. It would be a true bummer if we don't gain a single game after this sweep.

MetroPD
I just don't get it, but I'll take it.

No Dunn in the line up today.

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I said it earlier in the year, give me 25 guys like Jake Peavy!

voodoochile
08-07-2011, 04:54 PM

DJ grifted my thread title... :whiner:

MetroPD
08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I said it earlier in the year, give me 25 guys like Jake Peavy!
THough his talent isn't quite what it was and his injuries have limited him, he wants to win. He tries hard each time he's out there and takes it personally when he fails or doesn't do well. He doesn't point fingers at others and assumes responsibility. Jake tries to fire up his team with comments and words when he feels they're a little flat. Hard to find fault with him.

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Their next seven games are against seven very beatable teams. Win 5/7 and we're back at .500. Next eight are against CLE, TEX and LAA. Tread water there. Then, win 4/6 against SEA and MIN to close out August. Two over. Then it's all division games through Sept. 25, where we need to make our move. Then, win the division at home against TOR.

Zakath
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
How is this for baseball memory? It's such a rare occasion for the Sox to sweep the Twins that I remember all the details of the last time it happened. It was a Thursday afternoon game at the dome. The Sox won 2-1 in a duel between Garland and Santana. All the runs came in the 1st inning (at least that's what I remember). The Sox got theirs on a 2 run shot by Caballo and the Twinkies had a solo shot by Sox killer Lew Ford.

Correct, except for Ford didn't hit a HR, but had an RBI when Guzman scored. Santana struck out 12, Marte got the save for the Sox.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200407010MIN

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200407010.shtml

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Orioles have the worst pitching in the AL. The Sox bats may have finally come alive, I'm looking for at least 3 wins and maybe a sweep in Baltimore. Don't stop now boys!

TheOldRoman
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
What else is there to say but "wow." That's more like it. At the very least, we now have our "memory" of the year. 2007 was Buehrle's no-hitter and Thome's 500th, 2009 was Buehrle's perfecto, Beckham's game winner against the Cubs on my wedding day, and the Sox beating Nathan in the last game ever in the Dome. Of course, 2010 was the Sox' unbelievable June. If nothing else goes right this year, at least the last three days have provided a really good memory.

Also, it's great to see Jake have a solid start against the Yanks after the first two innings and follow it up with a lights-out performance today. As I have said for a while, Peavy is an ace. He will be back to his old form next season when his stamina is back to 100%. Hopefully this series woke the Sox up and they realized the little man behind the curtain that is the Twins. If the Sox can kill off the Twin boogieman that has haunted them, they will be in a much better position in the future.

DickAllen72
08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Rios has played well the past couple of days. If he's really back and can get hot, maybe the Sox can make a run at it.

It's always good to beat the Twins and to sweep them was great. It shows the Sox can indeed beat ****ty teams which has been their weakness in recent years - and there's no ****tier team than the Twins, the perpetual losers.

Now let's sweep those O's!

TaylorStSox
08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
It looks like Rios is holding his hands back a little and it's helping him clear his hips. He hasn't had any problem making contact. He just hasn't been able to drive the ball. Hopefully he figured it out with his new approach.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Amazing.

White Sox baseball: Who the hell knows from day to day.

Lip

soltrain21
08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice to sweep the Twins. We have enough games left in the division to get back into the thick of it. Just need to finally get consistent.

Boondock Saint
08-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Hard to find fault with him.

You new here?

SI1020
08-07-2011, 05:18 PM
We owe them a lot more payback but that sure was a nice down payment.

TDog
08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I can't figure this team out. I would never have guessed that would sweep the Twinkies!

The Twins being so much stronger than the Red Sox and Yankees (without Konerko in the lineup for the White Sox), the teams that White Sox had lost to during their five-game losing streak.

This was a pretty good weekend. It looks like Rios might be motivated to play well again with the real possibility that he could lose his starting job to De Aza. The starting pitching kept the White Sox in every game. Peavy was great today, and the Twins didn't even have the excuse of never having seen him before.

Really, this was a great weekend with a new hero every game. If the starting pitching is there, you don't need much hitting. The Twins scored three unearned runs of the first inning of the first game and one run in the next 26 innings.

TomBradley72
08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Small sample size but some interesting dynamics with this team:

Rios' adjustment- seems to be driving the ball and playing with some intensity and focus
De Aza and Flowers seems to be bringing a little bit of new chemistry for team.
For the first time almost all season they are playing some "crisp" defense- especially in the infield.
Hope Ozzie stays with benching Dunn- PK DHs until the knee is better- Lillibridge/Vizquel cover 1st base until PK can handle it?

BigKlu59
08-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Amazing.

Lip

I'd say... And as Igor said to Dr. Frankenstein...Hey Doc... Look, the body is still twitching..It's still alive!!!

These guys are the secong coming of Sybil....

It is just great to see another quality start not flushed down the loo by impotent lumber. Go Sox !!!

BK59

soxfan1965
08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Amazing.

Lip

I must be dreaming. Going to a tankful of piranhas with an albatross or two after getting eaten alive at home. Lillibridge not only playing first but providing power. Simply marvelous.

thomas35forever
08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Missed most of this, but it feels so good to use this:
:notwinks

asindc
08-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I think without Dunn in there, the whole dynamic of the lineup changes for much better. So many teams pitch Dunn as if he's an easy out, which he is. It was nice watching today's game and not thinking that at least one of the Sox hitters was going to be an auto out in a crucial situation.

This is the Peavy KW traded for. If Stewart and Humber can still nail down spot starts, I like what the 6-man rotation does for Buehrle and Peavy. Optimism compels me to think that with Rios coming around, Lillibridge playing well again, De Aza bringing energy to the dugout, and Stewart providing some pitching depth, we could go .750 against the rest of the division for the remainder of the season. And oh yeah, if Dunn plays, please let it be only against righties while batting either 7th or 8th.

tstrike2000
08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Twins didn't play with much confidence this weekend. Good, it's about time they realized they're nothing more than a second rate AAA team.

manders_01
08-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I unfortunately only saw one game of this series but kept my eye on the scores. LOVE IT! :bandance:

Crestani
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe they were in shock..!! (Like me)

soxinem1
08-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Amazing.

Lip

:D:

Awesome.... And 10000% true!

S-SideTrifecta
08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I think this team shows a lot of heart how they come back and sweep minnesota after a rough homestead. If they keep it up the division crown is still within grasp.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Between Aug 29 and Sept 14 the Sox play 6 vs tigers,7 vs Twins,4 vs Tribe,without a break. If the Sox can get to that stretch with a pulse,and get hot,they could make a real run. One thing about all those divisonal games(3 more vs Tribe later in Sept,and 7 vs KC) nobody in the top 3 are really out of it til the last ten days,probably.
Of course, it can nosedive quickly if you are cold in that stretch also...right now, it is Aug 7 and the Sox are 5 back in the loss column...get hot vs the O's and KC this week and cut a couple off of that lead for Tigers and then we can really talk pennant race!

Lilly better start tomorrow and til he cools off,vs righties or lefties,period. He is a certified streak hitter who has been ice cold til this weekend...now,ride him Ozzie!!

SBSoxFan
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Missed most of this, but it feels so good to use this:
:notwinks

I missed all of it. I checked out the Sox MLB page this afternoon to find the start time; it was listed as 7:10 CDT. At 7:10, I turned on WGN, no game. I thought maybe it was in a rain delay. So, I went back to the Sox page and saw the final line.

:scratch: :angry: :whiner:

It sucks to miss a game that the Sox so thoroughly dominated, especially after watching the Yankees series. However, I'll be happy to miss games for a win. :smile:

Guess I'll continue watching "Night of the Comet" then.

soxfanreggie
08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Can we play this type of baseball more often please? Great job today all around. You can't ask for more...great start, great hitting, no costly errors.

SI1020
08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
So nice to see the Sox play well in all phases and even nicer to see them capitalize time after time on a bumbling opponent. In the crazy world of modern baseball the Sox are 3 below .500 on August 7 but still very much alive. Just when I thought I was out ... they pull me back in.

Bucky F. Dent
08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
They actually looked patient at the plate, and took pitches.

Did they fire Walker last night and not announce it?

Soxman219
08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
:notwinks:notwinks:notwinks

If anything comes good out of 2011, it will be the Sox going into Minny and sweeping the Twins. Keep it going in Baltimore.

JB98
08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

tebman
08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

:thumbsup:

Tragg
08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Can we play this type of baseball more often please? Great job today all around. You can't ask for more...great start, great hitting, no costly errors.

Yep

Zakath
08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
If anything comes good out of 2011, it will be the Sox going into Minny and sweeping the Twins. Keep it going in Baltimore.

Which means controlling the illegitimate son of Mark Grudzielanek, Nick ****ing Markakis. The guy absolutely kills us.

The Orioles actually hit for power (between Reynolds, Guerrero, Jones, and Hardy) but, man, is their pitching horrid. Bats have to stay awake to take advantage of the worst pitching staff in the majors.

DumpJerry
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
DJ grifted my thread title... :whiner:
I wrote the title and first post of the post gamer thread in the 7th inning and just let it sit there waiting for it to be official......

ChiSoxGirl
08-07-2011, 11:08 PM
My boyfriend & I were down in Pontiac at a Christening party all day, so we missed this one in its entirety, but set my phone for updates. I was SHOCKED every time I'd receive an update and it'd tell us about another run the Sox had scored. I was even more dumbfounded when it told us Rios hit a homerun! :thud: I seriously couldn't believe it. Regardless, this sweep was awesome and way the hell overdue! Maybe it'll get the Twins out of the Sox heads -- a team that has absolutely no business there in the first place.

Hey Ozzie, how do you like those "fundamentally sound" Twins now?! I especially hope Circle Me Bert enjoyed the weekend. :tongue:

08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
With Lillibridge's HR in the 3rd, he now has more HRs in Target Field (2), than Joe Mauer does (1).

**** the twins.

gosox41
08-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I must be dreaming. Going to a tankful of piranhas with an albatross or two after getting eaten alive at home. Lillibridge not only playing first but providing power. Simply marvelous.

While I'm far from getting excited about this team, even the Cubs had a 7 game winning streak. We haven't had our hot streak yet (most teams have a couple big winning streaks a year.)

We are more talented then the Cubs. Maybe if Rios is starting to break out, Quentin is in one of his patented streaks, and utilizing the speed we have, we can eke out 4-5 more wins and get to .500.

Or more then likely, not.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2011, 12:55 AM
And who finally found the "On-off" switch on Rios and flipped it back on?Ozzie and Walker.

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2011, 01:38 AM
We owe them a lot more payback but that sure was a nice down payment.
Well put!

Because I was at Lollapalooza for the entire weekend, I didn't see the first 2 games at all, plus the entire 2nd half of today's game. The half of the game that I saw today was fun to watch, though! Lillibridge killed that first HR!

If this was the weekend that starts us on a nice tear to get back in it, then we can maybe think of it as the Lollapalooza Boost!

cards press box
08-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Small sample size but some interesting dynamics with this team:
Rios' adjustment- seems to be driving the ball and playing with some intensity and focus
De Aza and Flowers seems to be bringing a little bit of new chemistry for team.
For the first time almost all season they are playing some "crisp" defense- especially in the infield.
Hope Ozzie stays with benching Dunn- PK DHs until the knee is better- Lillibridge/Vizquel cover 1st base until PK can handle it?

I would add one more dynamic: having a spot starter to take the mound and give the five starters extra rest when necessary. Zach Stewart did a great job on Saturday and the extra rest sure seemed to help Jake Peavy on Sunday.

VenturaFan23
08-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Well now I'm really pissed because my friends and I were planning to go up there this weekend but things fell apart one by one. Either way, it was sure awesome to see the Twins embarrass themselves for once at the hands of the Sox!

Railsplitter
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Well now I'm really pissed because my friends and I were planning to go up there this weekend but things fell apart one by one. Either way, it was sure awesome to see the Twins embarrass themselves for once at the hands of the Sox!
I know where you're coming from. I don't have the financial for a weekend in the TC's but now I'm wishing I had.

SOXSINCE'70
08-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Let's hope the Sox no longer allow themselves to be intimidated by the Twins.

The last few years,it'd been like the little brother (Twinks) has been intimidating the big brother (Sox).It seems that,with this series, big brother found a chink in little brother's armor.Let's hope it continues.They have 7 more games (counting a rainout) this season.Hoping for at least a 9-9 record against the Twinks.It would be a start.

Dick Allen
08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Well put!

Because I was at Lollapalooza for the entire weekend, I didn't see the first 2 games at all, plus the entire 2nd half of today's game. The half of the game that I saw today was fun to watch, though! Lillibridge killed that first HR!

If this was the weekend that starts us on a nice tear to get back in it, then we can maybe think of it as the Lollapalooza Boost!Uh, I doubt it.

Crooked Number
08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Could not believe my eyes this weekend. Especially the shutout. Whew, that was an absolute joy to watch. Nathan is absolutely done. That 92 mph "fastball" he threw to the bridge was his swan song. Sure hope it stays that way.

Would love to see Dunn in as a pinch hitter or spot starter the rest of the year...but it won't happen. This pitching staff is first place worthy, has been all season. If the offense continues to average between 3 to 6 runs a game, that sounds like a winning formula.

The Sox always find themselves in a position to get hot and take the division. It just doesn't seem to happen, most of the time, they aren't able to put together that big end of the season run.

They still haven't had their run yet. Hell, even crapfest teams like the jokers up north just won 7 games in a row. Time to get a win streak more than four games. That is the Sox max winstreak....four games. Time for that to change, right now.

Hitmen77
08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
The last time the Sox won a game by at least 7 runs? May 21 when they beat the Dodgers 9-2.

DonnieDarko
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Why must everyone call them the "Twinks"? Do people not know what the connotation for that word is? >_>

Whatever the case may be, it's great that we finally swept these guys. First time in awhile, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I was expecting us to lose at least two out of three here. Next stop is Baltimore, where we should do well, I think. I seem to remember most of our problems against Baltimore being in the form of Bobby Jenks, so now that he's gone I'm much more confident about our chances.

Chez
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Nice to see the bats come alive. Sox pitching held the Twins to one [!] earned run in 27 innings.

hi im skot
08-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Why must everyone call them the "Twinks"? Do people not know what the connotation for that word is? >_>

Yeah, that's always kind of bothered me, too.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, as a new member here states, the soxes did well this weekend.

You have to be so cautious with this team it is insane. Now is the time to make a dent at our record. No more Red Sox or Yankees. Could just be another case where they come to .500 and suck us out with them for what seems like the tenth time.

Well, that's why we're fans. Go Soxes.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Why must everyone call them the "Twinks"? Do people not know what the connotation for that word is? >_>No. Is it something I can't google at work?

Regardless, it's obviously short for Twinkies and that nickname likely predates the current slang term "twinks" by a few decades.

BigKlu59
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
No. Is it something I can't google at work?

Regardless, it's obviously short for Twinkies and that nickname likely predates the current slang term "twinks" by a few decades.

Funny stuff, the english lexicon.... what once were common terms with entirely different meanings have morphed into forbidden speech do to societal norms.. Ah Mr. Webster, you'd be having a Hoot these days..

BK59

SSrep
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Why must everyone call them the "Twinks"? Do people not know what the connotation for that word is?

I immediately just thought of '30 Rock'

Chez
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM

I was just enlightened by the always entertaining urbandictionary.com.

TDog
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Why must everyone call them the "Twinks"? Do people not know what the connotation for that word is? >_> ...

Twinks and Twinkies started out as terms of derision for the Twins before they became a good team about 10 years ago. Actually, Twinks is short for Twinkies in the context of the Twins, but that really doesn't make things better.

A few years ago, I was proofing printouts of pages for a Sunday newspaper before sending them down to be printed, and the young man who was doing the sports pages late on Saturday night, had referred to the Twins as "Twinks" in a photo caption. When I ran over the changes he needed to make, he argued with me about how everyone calls the Twins "Twinkies." Maybe on your blog, kid.

Rikirk
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Ok the sweep was amazing.

Want to see that again sometime.

doublem23
08-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok the sweep was amazing.

Want to see that again sometime.

2011 may be a lost season, but if we finally evicted the Twins out of that apartment in the team's collective head, it will have been good for something

Sox
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Have the White Sox finally found a lineup that they can win with? I think so...if it aint broke don't fix it. I hope that Ozzie keeps this same lineup against the O's. I'm pretty stoked about this sweep of the Twinkies!!!! Finally the monkeys off of the White Sox's back. Good to see the Sox bats come alive. :bandance: