PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-6 The Apocalypse is at hand; SOX win two straight in MIN, 6-1

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I like Zach Stewart's attitude. I like his pitching even more.

It also helps when the Twins cannot throw and catch the baseball while the Sox can do so, and the Sox work walks and steal bases.

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Who would have thunk it, especially after the misery of the last week?

Two in a row against the Twins, at Target Field?

So much for the Twinks being fundamentally sound. They have looked like the 1982 Twinks.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Pitching plus defense can win baseball games.

34rancher
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Good win. Nice to see another team struggle with new pitchers. Great 9th inning too. Rios, hope this was the big wakeup.

JB98
08-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Stewart did a nice job. Came after hitters, didn't walk people, etc. Hopefully, the first of many wins in a White Sox uniform.

Minnesota is really bad at baseball this year. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. They are not anymore of a threat in the AL Central than the Sox are.

Zakath
08-06-2011, 09:02 PM
It probably can't be said enough how huge this series is, given the position the White Sox put themselves in with the disastrous series vs. the Yankees.

Nice to see them responding, with much better performances. Last night we were somewhat lucky, given that we left 13 on and went 0-10 w/RISP. Tonight, we get a very good start from Stewart, some good baserunning, and some help from the Twins again on defense to take the first two.

Given that Detroit won last night and is leading tonight, two losses would have nailed the coffin shut. Now, at least there's life, but this team needs to keep this up, especially when they head to Baltimore.

Zakath
08-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Stewart did a nice job. Came after hitters, didn't walk people, etc. Hopefully, the first of many wins in a White Sox uniform.

Minnesota is really bad at baseball this year. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. They are not anymore of a threat in the AL Central than the Sox are.

The fundamentally "unsound" baseball you're seeing from them is undoubtedly a by-product of their injury issues throughout the year, but hey, we'll take them.

About time the law of averages started working on our side vs. them.

veeter
08-06-2011, 09:09 PM
That was a fun game to watch. It's always fun infusing some new, young talent. Nice job tonight Sox. All except for Dunn, who's a giant turd.

asindc
08-06-2011, 09:10 PM
It probably can't be said enough how huge this series is, given the position the White Sox put themselves in with the disastrous series vs. the Yankees.

Nice to see them responding, with much better performances. Last night we were somewhat lucky, given that we left 13 on and went 0-10 w/RISP. Tonight, we get a very good start from Stewart, some good baserunning, and some help from the Twins again on defense to take the first two.

Given that Detroit won last night and is leading tonight, two losses would have nailed the coffin shut. Now, at least there's life, but this team needs to keep this up, especially when they head to Baltimore.

Pauly got a hit w/RISP.

Soxfest
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Congrats on 1st MLB win Stewart....................this is the type of game Sox have LOST all year!

Foulke You
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
It was encouraging to see. Stewart has a nice mix of pitches and did a good job staying ahead and keeping the ball down. Seemed to induce a lot of ground balls and strikeouts which is a good fit for our ballpark. I was surprised to see him clocking 92 to 93 mph on the gun when the initial scouting reports said his fastball was just "average". I consider anything 92 or 93 to be a plus fastball but maybe that's just me.:scratch:

soxfanatlanta
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
I almost feel sorry for the twinks.

No, not really.

Zakath
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Pauly got a hit w/RISP.

Tonight, we were 2-for-12 w/RISP and only left 8 on. Not great, but better than 0-for-10 and 13.

DSpivack
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM

:thumbsup:

TDog
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Good win. Nice to see another team struggle with new pitchers. Great 9th inning too. Rios, hope this was the big wakeup.

I have always believed, even before he came to the White Sox, that Alex Rios was a player who needed to be motivated to play well. When he came to the Sox, with the Sox in the thick of the race, he played poorly offensively and defensively and was a huge reason the Sox fell out of it. (The first time I saw Rios play for the Sox in a game in Oakland, he played way too deep, allowing a bunch of stuff to drop in front of him, and even dropped a routine fly.) Maybe De Aza, someone who could play every day in his place, unlike Lillibridge who plays all over the field, provided Rios with the motivation he needs to get his head in the game. If so, I hope it sticks.

As for Stewart, he pitched very well tonight, better than I expected he would. He struggled (relatively, perhaps) the third time through the order, which is pretty much how Humber has been pitching in most of his starts. But there are a lot of major league starters who get away with only pitching six innings a start anymore. It was a strong debut, in any case. Twins fans are probably complaining that once again they can't do anything against a no-name pitcher they have never seen before.

It is interesting that Lillibridge is the backup first baseman with Teahen gone.

It also is interesting that the Twins have played such poor fundamental baseball this weekend. I write this thinking about the defense (we hear about how hard the Twins work on fundamentals and what a great spring training they had), but it's nice to see the Twins not score the tying run from third when he got there with none out and RBI hitters coming up.

Soxman219
08-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Remember this day friends. August 6th, 2011, the day the White Sox won a series against the Twins in Minnesota. I don't even remember the last time this happened. I'm so happy I can do cartwheels! Finally, it's the Twins who screw up against us! It's the Twins who get the unlucky bounces. It's the Twins who can't score with 2 outs! Go for the sweep tomorrow!

TDog
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Pauly got a hit w/RISP.

He also grounded out to drive in a runner from third, which, in the ninth inning with a lead, is getting the job done.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Soxman:

Last time the Sox won a series from the Twins was May 2009.

Lip

Soxman219
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Soxman:

Lip

2 seasons too long IMO, I'm glad they finally beat the Twins in a series for once.

samurai_sox
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Remember this day friends. August 6th, 2011, the day the White Sox won a series against the Twins in Minnesota. I don't even remember the last time this happened. I'm so happy I can do cartwheels! Finally, it's the Twins who screw up against us! It's the Twins who get the unlucky bounces. It's the Twins who can't score with 2 outs! Go for the sweep tomorrow!

I still remember that time we swept the Twins in a 4 game set at the Cell in June 2008. The Sox outscored the Twinks 40-15 in that series, that was a series to remember.

Btw, is this the first time the Sox have won a series in Target Field?

DickAllen72
08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Anyone think Pavano did not drill AJ intentionally tonight?

Anyway, I hope the Sox can sweep these clowns tomorrow and drill Young right in the ribs.

JB98
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Anyway, I hope the Sox can sweep these clowns tomorrow and drill Young right in the ribs.

It was blatantly intentional.

kevingrt
08-06-2011, 09:45 PM

So intentional. I was yelling at my TV screen for AJ to go after him.

Maybe we will get that tomorrow. At this point in the season I can reallyonly look forward to bench clearing brawls with the Twinkies. Call me shallow or selfish or not a baseball fan but I want to see one.

DickAllen72
08-06-2011, 09:46 PM
It was blatantly intentional.
I really hope the Sox send these losers a real message tomorrow. Kick their butts, win the game and bury a ball in Delmon Young's ribs.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Well this is the 4th time since the Jamie Burke "incident" the Twins aggressively took something out on the Sox and they haven't responded yet. (Despite Ozzie "macho-man" Guillen being the manager...)

I'd be very surprised if anything happened Sunday. Ozzie talks a good game but when push comes to shove...well...

Lip

cards press box
08-06-2011, 09:52 PM

I agree. Stewart had good stuff, good control and he challenged the hitters. And, anyway, it's always nice to be able to say this twice:

:winner

and

:twinslose

Hope the Sox can do some damage against Brian Duensing tomorrow.

Soxman219
08-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I really hope the Sox send these losers a real message tomorrow. Kick their butts, win the game and bury a ball in Delmon Young's ribs.

Agreed

Brian26
08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Well this is the 4th time since the Jamie Burke "incident" the Twins aggressively took something out on the Sox and they haven't responded yet. (Despite Ozzie "macho-man" Guillen being the manager...)

I'd be very surprised if anything happened Sunday. Ozzie talks a good game but when push comes to shove...well...

Lip

The moment has already passed. The time to do it, which was handed to Ozzie on a silver platter, would have been with two out in the bottom of the 9th with a 6-1 lead with Santos on the mound.

StillMissOzzie
08-06-2011, 10:04 PM
It was almost as if the Sox were playing Twins baseball, and the Twins were playing White Sox baseball. They were the one with the errors, stranded runners. Of course, we did get to keep Dunn and his 3 more K's tonight.

SMO
:gulp:

Foreignsox
08-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I said to play Lillibridge and he hit a bomb tonight! New soxes be doing it for themselves!

TommyGavinFloyd
08-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Lip

We hit Butera. We were even. Despite your bloodlust, there was no reason to hit them back. Just win the damn game and get out of there.

voodoochile
08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
HEHE!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

DrCrawdad
08-06-2011, 10:20 PM

It also helps when the Twins cannot throw and catch the baseball while the Sox can do so, and the Sox work walks and steal bases.

It was oh so sweet to beat the Twins the way they usually beat the Sox and then to do it there.

Soxman:

Lip

Me too.

Lip

Sweep their (butts) and put a cherry on top of it with by drilling Cuddeyer or Mauer.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Tommy:

"Bloodlust?" :rolleyes:

Overreacting a tad aren't we?

:rolleyes:

Lip

Brian26
08-06-2011, 10:29 PM
We hit Butera. We were even. Despite your bloodlust, there was no reason to hit them back. Just win the damn game and get out of there.

Still not even from the Jamie Burke incident though.

Crestani
08-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Everyone is talking about how bad the Twins are, (and they are) but they have still taken 7 out 10 from us....So what does that really tell us about the Sox..??

asindc
08-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Everyone is talking about how bad the Twins are, (and they are) but they have still taken 7 out 10 from us....So what does that really tell us about the Sox..??

That they are everything we have been saying they are lately.

Now, with that said, let's get back to celebrating tonight's victory.

Nelfox02
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, at the very least we can look at the 2011 season and say we beat the Twins in a series that year!!!

Would be really somethng to sweep them. can the Sox buck 2 major trends (inability to complete sweeps and inability to beat the Twins) tomorrow?

I did not get to see much of this one so I cant really comment on the new guys start, heard the end of his night on the radio and Farmer and DJ were pretty positive on his outing. Obviously cant dispute the results he had. Great first impression.

Kept waiting for the Twins to hit some 2 out 2 run gork shot......never happened for a change

Where did all those runs come from in the 9th? wow.

Thanks for the poor fundamentals tonight Twinks, we can use all the help we can get.

Nice job Sox

gosox41
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM

Scoring runs without relying on the home run usually helps.

This is the best Sox game I have seen in the last month. Pitching was good. they stole bases, took extra bases, and actually took advantages of mistakes for once.

Bob

gosox41
08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
It was oh so sweet to beat the Twins the way they usually beat the Sox and then to do it there.

Me too.

Sweep their (butts) and put a cherry on top of it with by drilling Cuddeyer or Mauer.

That would be sweet.

But if I were in Vegas right now, I'd bet heavily on the Twins winning tomorrow. I don't even know who is pitching for either team. I do know the Sox haven't been able to close the deal all year, be it due to lack of intensity, bad baseball playing or whatever.

I'd be shocked and awed if they actually won tomorrow's game.

Bob

doublem23
08-06-2011, 11:13 PM

Aside from Buehrle and PK are there any other players on the two teams that were at the Jaime Burke game?

shingo10
08-06-2011, 11:21 PM

How about Delman Young last year going way out of his way to basically punch A.J.? That one still irks me. Then Paulie got hit in the face by Pavano but I do believe Buehrle hit someone that game. No offense to Mark but it doesn't mean much when you're throwing 80. We needed to drill someone last year. Still makes my blood boil.

08-06-2011, 11:21 PM

That they're ahead of the twins

**** the twins.

kaufsox
08-06-2011, 11:48 PM

And scoring more runs than the opostition doesn't hurt either.:D:

kaufsox
08-06-2011, 11:50 PM

dunno, but I like beating the Twins in Minnesota just the same.

tstrike2000
08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Twins suck. It's about time we beat that garbage of a team.

thomas35forever
08-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I missed this game, but I was in disbelief when I heard not just the result, but the amount we won by. I know a sweep at Target Field is wishful thinking, but can't I get greedy here?

Zakath
08-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Soxman:

Lip

That series was in Chicago, and had the 20-1 loss at the end of it.

The last time the Sox actually won a series in Minnesota of 3 games or longer happened ironically in one of the worst seasons in recent Sox history:

September 21-23, 2007.

For those wondering, the last time we swept the Twins in a 3-game series or longer in Minneapolis?

June 29-July 1, 2004.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Lots to like in this game:

- beating the Twins in their park.
- Lilly going deep vs Nathan,who must have forgotten that lilly cannot hit a curve ball.
- Two fast runners,Juan and DeAza,wreaking havoc on the basepaths..that is fun to watch.
- Stewart,in his Sox debut,just coming out and throwing strike after strike...no messing around.
- The 3 pitch strikeout by Frasor in the 8th. Three perfect inside corner low fastballs..good morning,afternoon and nite.
- Chris Sale's bugs bunny breaking stuff just freezing twins lefties.
-speaking of fozen...is Dunn frozen on sharply hit grounders to first? Not good.
- AJ getting hit goes on the long list of Twins transgressions vs the Sox over the years...screw you Pavano.

I will be mad if Ozzie starts Dunn at first today with Duensing on the mound. Go with Lilly at first...defense better and hitting better than Dunn...what else is there?

Big day for Peavy..can he comeback after the long outing?

DrCrawdad
08-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Anyone else remember this Sox Starter with the surname Stewart?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM1d2PiDni6UaLEy-NS7t2hFQsX7o9X6Ufvqm-leqtceW09flH (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stewajo02.shtml)

Chez
08-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Well, the patient still has a pulse. Win today, take care of business in Baltimore . . . You never know.

palehozenychicty
08-07-2011, 10:43 AM

We are not. I still seethe from that play.

rookie
08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, the patient still has a pulse. Win today, take care of business in Baltimore . . . You never know.

I'm still hoping for the long awaited winning streak. I feel like I've done my part to start it. Was at Friday's and Saturday's night game, this after being 0-6 at Sox games in Chicago this year. Woo hoo!

Nice ballpark but not crazy bout their outfield. Cool scoreboard though. Awesome concessions with no lines.

Soxman219
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Wish I can share your optimism, but the Sox need to win at home first.

October26
08-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Sox beat Twins! Sox beat Twins! :bandance: :bandance:

Can I be greedy today and ask for 3 in a row? Go Sox!