PDA

View Full Version : Contrarian Thread: The Sox are not that far away from contending

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure about this year anymore, but please hear me out...

They have very good to excellent pitching; a solid rotation and deep bullpen. Their infield defense is outstanding. They basically have these problems:

Poor outfield defense. KW needs to address this problem.

Dunn. He must address his issues. (eye doctor, conditioning, etc.?).

Rios appears unfocused and unmotivated. Good coaching can fix this.

Beckham and to a lesser extent Morel have not developed as hitters. Good coaching can fix this as well.

I don't think this team needs to be blown up. I think it needs better coaching, to "coach up" the struggling talent on this team.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
It is going to all depend on what JR decides this off season.

Remember in 97 he blew up the team that was costing far less money because (in part and by his own words) they were "unlikable..."

This team is in the same boat from that particular standpoint.

Not that the players are bad guys (except maybe Rios) but as others have pointed out so often, they just play bad, boring baseball.

It's going to depend on how much money in reality he's going to lose this year, what the actual finances of the franchise are (can they take a risk like this again?) and perhaps most importantly who is going to be the G.M. and (or) field manager?

Would Ozzie actually want to stay with a "rebuilding" team comprised of a bunch of Double and Triple A stiffs out of the Sox poor farm system? (doubtful), would Tony LaRussa (if you believe the rumors) be willing to return under those same circumstances (doubtful - he hasn't managed a bad team in a long time) and if a new G.M. is in place what's his philosophy going to be? (A new G.M. would probably have to be on the same page as JR) If Ozzie is back in 12 I'd guess that the team is not going to undergo a rebuilding phase from the ground up. Ozzie won't stay for that scenario. I suspect in that case it would be more of the "contend while rebuilding" stuff that Kenny has tried in the past (without success mind you...)

Seriously I can't even begin to guess at what the team is going to look like next season...for me personally, this is a mediocre division, hiring either a smart G.M. or a field manager who hasn't mailed it in, could make all the difference in the world.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

Lip

Red Barchetta
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Beckham had better hitting mechanics when he entered the league. Now in his third season under Walker, the results are obvious.

balke
08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Beckham had better hitting mechanics when he entered the league. Now in his third season under Walker, the results are obvious.

Some people thought he projected to be exactly who he is. Khalil Greene with a little worse defense.

I remember on Draft Day someone on ESPN saying he could be the best of the shortstops right away but down the line he might be the 3rd best in the draft.

Zisk77
08-06-2011, 09:52 PM

I disagree, his mechanics are the same. He has modified his stance, but his actually swing is the same and is readily apparent when we get a side view of his swing.

His approach to pitches is different as well. He seems to want to pull the ball too much. When he first came up he wore out the rc field gap.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't think a full rebuild would be a good idea.

Pierre will be gone. That will save $5 million. There are a couple of in-house options to replace him, but each presents questions. Would Viciedo's bat outweigh his poor fielding? Would the defensive gain of Jordan Danks in CF, Rios in RF and Quentin or Viciedo in LF make up for the loss of Pierre's leadoff hitting? (I think in either case Alexei leads off.)

Upgrading the manager/hitting coach has the greatest potential to realize the most improvement with the lowest possible risk, because it could pay significant dividends in improving Rios, Beckham and Morel (as well as possible future young players like Viciedo, Danks, Mitchell, etc.).

gosox41
08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
It is going to all depends on what JR decides this off season.

Remember in 97 he blew up the team that was costing far less money because (in part and by his own words) they were "unlikable..."

Not that the players are bad guys (except maybe Rios) but as others have pointed out so often, they just play bad, boring baseball.

It's going to depend on how much money in reality he's going to lose this year, what the actual finances of the franchise are (can they take a risk like this again?) and perhaps most importantly who is going to be the G.M. and (or) field manager?

Would Ozzie actually want to stay with a "rebuilding" team comprised of a bunch of Double and Triple A stiffs out of the Sox poor farm system? (doubtful), would Tony LaRussa (if you believe the rumors) be willing to return under those same circumstances (doubtful - he hasn't managed a bad team in a long time) and if a new G.M. is in place what's his philosophy going to be? (A new G.M. would probably have to be on the same page as JR) If Ozzie is back in 12 I'd guess that the team is not going to undergo a rebuilding phase from the ground up. Ozzie won't stay for that scenario. I suspect in that case it would be more of the "contend while rebuilding" stuff that Kenny has tried in the past (without success mind you...)

Seriously I can't even begin to guess at what the team is going to look like next season...for me personally, this is a mediocre division, hiring either a smart G.M. or a field manager who hasn't mailed it in, could make all the difference in the world.

Lip

While I wouldn't mind a new GM and manager (be careful what we wish for) it would be nice is the $25 million in salary that we are paying Dunn and Rios wasn't so terrible.

If those guys hit we aren't having this conversation.

Bob

doublem23
08-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I pretty much agree, and again, posters here who know everything about baseball said the Sox needed to make wholesale changes throughout the organization after the 2007 debacle and the Sox turned around and won the division the following year.

I really don't know what the answer to this team's problems are, you look at their numbers and you want to believe they're just a few moves away from 90+ wins, but then you watch them 1/2 the time and you can't figure it out.

It'd be one thing if the Sox were in the Cubs' or Astros' position. Those teams are total trainwrecks that need wholesale changes. The Sox could use a total change, but they very well could be on the right path, as well. They're really hard to figure out. I've stopped spending energy trying to figure out exactly what the prescription for what their ails are, I have no idea. I save my energy for just cheering for now.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 11:10 PM
While I wouldn't mind a new GM and manager (be careful what we wish for) it would be nice is the $25 million in salary that we are paying Dunn and Rios wasn't so terrible.

100% correct

captain54
08-06-2011, 11:37 PM
hiring either a smart G.M. or a field manager who hasn't mailed it in, could make all the difference in the world.

Lip

Dumping salary seems very likely ... you've gotta believe that some sort of rebuilding is on the horizon. However, I think you're right.. a fresh GM/Field Manager tandem could make all the difference in the world. An injection of a fresh attitude and outlook at those two top spots could be the most cost effective rebuilding move JR could make.

doublem23
08-07-2011, 01:04 AM
a fresh GM/Field Manager tandem could make all the difference in the world. An injection of a fresh attitude and outlook at those two top spots could be the most cost effective rebuilding move JR could make.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered the possibility that a fresh GM and manager could turn out worse than these two? As long as the Sox go 75-87 this year, they are over .500 over the course of the past 2 seasons, of course, not exactly where we want to, or should be, given the division we play in, but certainly not a team that is on the verge of total self-destruction.

kittle42
08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
The Sox need to stop the organizational philosophy of fielding a team that is "good enough to compete" in one of the worst divisions in baseball.

That would be step one.

captain54
08-07-2011, 01:19 AM
As long as the Sox go 75-87 this year, they are over .500 over the course of the past 2 seasons, of course, not exactly where we want to, or should be, given the division we play in, but certainly not a team that is on the verge of total self-destruction.

I'd respond with an answer, if I knew where you were coming from..You've posted in the last few days as to how bad the Sox blow, but now you've got them over .500 over the past two years and everything is hunky dory....so which one is it?

kittle42
08-07-2011, 01:49 AM
I'd respond with an answer, if I knew where you were coming from..You've posted in the last few days as to how bad the Sox blow, but now you've got them over .500 over the past two years and everything is hunky dory....so which one is it?

Whoopie...over .500!

captain54
08-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Whoopie...over .500!

True..we certainly don't want to run the risk of losing that fabulous GM/Field Manager tandem that brought that amazing over .500
record the last couple of years, now do we?

doublem23
08-07-2011, 03:37 AM

Right, and if you read my post earlier in the thread you'd see that I describe how torn I am about the state of the team right now. With my own two eyes, I see inconsistent play, bad offense, questionable personnel moves, etc. but then you go back and look at the numbers and yeah, it's not great, but it's not terrible either. Your conceivably talking two steady veterans (Thornton, Dunn) just needed to play anywhere near their career norms and we're walking away with this division. I mean the way some people post around here, with the whole "BLOW THE WHOLE THING UP, fire all the coaches, fire all the front office staff, DFA all the players, force the owner to sell the team, ETC." you'd think that we were on some kind of Pirates-esque run and we haven't sniffed at anything respectable since the early 90s.

:dunno:

I don't know what is wrong with this team, I'm not some kind of baseball insider, I'm just a fan, and this team has really sapped my energy to really try and pretend like I know all the answers, and frankly, I think anyone who thinks the definitively know what the solutions are for this team is full of ****.

doublem23
08-07-2011, 03:37 AM
True..we certainly don't want to run the risk of losing that fabulous GM/Field Manager tandem that brought that amazing over .500
record the last couple of years, now do we?

Yeah that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You get a gold star for Reading Comprehension!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Dan H
08-07-2011, 06:26 AM

They have very good to excellent pitching; a solid rotation and deep bullpen. Their infield defense is outstanding. They basically have these problems:

Beckham and to a lesser extent Morel have not developed as hitters. Good coaching can fix this as well.

I don't think this team needs to be blown up. I think it needs better coaching, to "coach up" the struggling talent on this team.

I don't know if "good coaching" will fix Rios and Dunn. And even though I'd like to see the coaching staff change, I don't think a new staff will automatically turn this team around. It will help but more needs to be done.

Hopefully you are right about Morel and Beckham. Maybe they will turn into major league hitters soon.

It could be this team is better than it appears. But it is hard to be optimistic when the club gives games away and allows itself to be flattened in six straight home games.

Johnny Mostil
08-07-2011, 06:49 AM

This.

kufram
08-07-2011, 07:38 AM
The team has never been out of the "race" this year. They just blew enough early games in late innings that it was easy for people to think it was already over. The sloppy defensive play was evident and cost a few games. The bullpen blew a few games. Sometimes both happened at the same time.

Then the defense became very good, Santos nailed down the closer role which defined the roles of others and the starting pitching proved to be extremely good over a long period of time.

The only thing lacking was hitting and, man, has it been lacking. Still we've played 5 or 6 games over .500 since sometime in May.... but it doesn't feel like it.

Detroit, Cleveland, and Minnesota have all cooperated in keeping the division within reach. Others say what a crap division it is, but how do they come to that conclusion?... and does it really matter? We need to win the division to reach the playoffs and once there we all know that pitching and defense wins in the playoffs IF you have enough hitting and it is timely. Well, to win the division we will HAVE to have enough timely hitting soon so if we get to the playoffs I see no reason why we can't win in the playoffs as long as the pitching doesn't disappear.

Now, this team has a lot of trouble winning at home. Why is that?? I have no idea. I prefer them to be playing important games on the road because they stand a better chance of winning in my opinion.

My overactive imagination wonders how people would feel if Dunn and Rios came around just enough to help limp us to the playoffs? I know they haven't both completely forgotten how to hit.

Is it all a long shot? Sure, we are 6 games back. Is it impossible? Absolutely not and if you think it is you either have already given up (and I can see why) or are not old enough to know that things can change dramatically overnight for no discernible reason. If Quentin alone goes on one of his hot streaks we could see a change of fortune.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Baseball is the most unpredictable game in my opinion. Look at Dunn...7 straight seasons of 38-42 homers...hey,he is one of the most consistent home run hitters in history,I would guess...and this year..pofff!.

That is why I never panic too much,even in the depths of a losing streak.
I still think the Sox have a winning streak in them,so this simply is not totally over. Tigers are playing well right now,so might be hard to catch them,but the Sox will make them nervous.

The Sox have one problem.. offense. Hitting,clutch hitting,walking,ect.
That can change in a heartbeat. Last year after Aug 1,the Sox had a great average with RISP. This year..abysmal,so far. Could it change? Yea.
Going forward..they have young starting pitching in Floyd,Danks,Humber,Stewart and possibly Sale. That will keep them relevant in this division. They have the best tv revenues in the division.
That helps.

LITTLE NELL
08-07-2011, 08:29 AM
If we win today and go into Baltimore on a high note there is a good chance we can sweep the O's, which just might put us back in this thing. The Sox just have to do a better job at plate discipline. Dunn is going to have to break out of his slump, I think we can win with Rios as a backup as I like De Aza, Lillibridge can also help in CF against tough lefties. It also would help if they could start winning some home games.

SI1020
08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I disagree, his mechanics are the same. He has modified his stance, but his actually swing is the same and is readily apparent when we get a side view of his swing.

His approach to pitches is different as well. He seems to want to pull the ball too much. When he first came up he wore out the rc field gap. I strongly disagree. His swing now is not the same as it was at Georgia. It's not the same as when he first he came up either. It's not even quite the same from game to game. Every time it looks like he's got it figured out he reverts back, like last night.

cards press box
08-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Bob

After 2011, three years remain on the contracts of Rios and Dunn and six years remain on the contract of Jayson Werth, a good player who has has a disappointing year in Washington. Here is my question: should the Sox and Nats deal their headache contracts to each other? In other words, if the Sox could deal Adam Dunn and Alex Rios for Jayson Werth -- assuming that the financial considerations are roughly neutral -- would you do it?

DrCrawdad
08-07-2011, 09:45 AM
If we win today and go into Baltimore on a high note there is a good chance we can sweep the O's, which just might put us back in this thing. The Sox just have to do a better job at plate discipline. Dunn is going to have to break out of his slump, I think we can win with Rios as a backup as I like De Aza, Lillibridge can also help in CF against tough lefties. It also would help if they could start winning some home games.

I like your thinking!

Nelfox02
08-07-2011, 10:09 AM

hey, if the woeful Flubs can rattle off 7 in a row (and counting) why not us?

Much like last year my head keep insisting we are out of it and to stop wasting time/hope, but my heart keeps coming up with stuff like---"all we need to do is get this to 3 game out or less by the end of Aug and we have a shot, and there is plenty of time in Aug to make up 3.5....)"

TomBradley72
08-07-2011, 10:12 AM

I think we kind of "over evaluate" our pitching- we're 7th in the league in team ERA- with Jackson gone and a very good chance we lose Buehrle thanks to the $45M we're wasting on Dunn/Rios/Peavy.

Catcher will be an issue next year as AJ is another year older with a $6M salary.

We need to find a spot for Dayan- but still no legit lead off man in that scenario.

Zisk77
08-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I strongly disagree. His swing now is not the same as it was at Georgia. It's not the same as when he first he came up either. It's not even quite the same from game to game. Every time it looks like he's got it figured out he reverts back, like last night.

I really can't comment on what he looked like at UGA as I don't watch much College baseball. He still has that big hitch in his swing. His actual swing from the side angles looks the same to me. His stance is different. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Regardless, he seems to have a "slider speed bat" right now. I think that will change as he physically matures, lays off the high fb, and possible raise his hands to the top of the strike zone.

palehozenychicty
08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
The Sox need to stop the organizational philosophy of fielding a team that is "good enough to compete" in one of the worst divisions in baseball.

That would be step one.

Exactly.

shes
08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
When nearly half of your starting offense needs "fixing," that's a pretty severe problem. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that we have few hitters who are patient and take a lot of walks. At least Dunn can salvage an 0-3, 3 K night with a couple of BBs. A guy like Morel will never be a starting-caliber MLB player unless he learns how to take a BB now and then. .260 with no power won't cut it.

kittle42
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
When nearly half of your starting offense needs "fixing," that's a pretty severe problem. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that we have few hitters who are patient and take a lot of walks. At least Dunn can salvage an 0-3, 3 K night with a couple of BBs. A guy like Morel will never be a starting-caliber MLB player unless he learns how to take a BB now and then. .260 with no power won't cut it.

No, no! They're due for a winning streak! I mean, it has to happen sometime in the last 50 or so games, right?

captain54
08-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You get a gold star for Reading Comprehension!

unfortunately your reading skills need a lot of improving if you think I meant that literally

anyway, thanks for the star.... I'm pretty good with reading between the lines as well....my "BS" detector has become very finely tuned over the years...

TaylorStSox
08-07-2011, 12:47 PM
It is going to all depend on what JR decides this off season.

Lip

How are they going to dump salary? No sane GM is going to take Dunn, Rios, Peavy and AJ off our hands. We're stuck with them. The only thing that we can really do is shake up the coaching staff and pray that these guys can play their ability and stay healthy.

captain54
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Right, and if you read my post earlier in the thread you'd see that I describe how torn I am about the state of the team right now. .

That indecisiveness hasn't seemed to stop you from voicing an opinion, though, whatever it may be on a given day.

I mean the way some people post around here, with the whole "BLOW THE WHOLE THING UP, fire all the coaches, fire all the front office staff, DFA all the players, force the owner to sell the team, ETC." you'd think that we were on some kind of Pirates-esque run and we haven't sniffed at anything respectable since the early 90s.

That's what fans do when they are frustrated..they over-react. Its been going on for thousands of years, as long as competitive sports has been around. If this Sox situation would be occurring in NY or Boston the fans would be foaming at the mouth, the players, Gm, field manager, would need bodyguards to move safely around the city.

If people are fine with respectable, and an around .500 record, good for them. Unfortunately, that's not gonna bring fans into the park. There's no question that this franchise is at a major turning point, whether you think that a blow-up, or just a fine tuning is due. Fortunately for us fans, we can just shoot our mouths off without having to face the consequences of our actions on the franchise and it's direction.

So bottom line, blowing the whole thing up from top to bottom may be a little extreme, but in reality, JR, in my opinion is calling most of the shots anyway...."the Man Behind The Curtain" .. remains...

balke
08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you considered the possibility that a fresh GM and manager could turn out worse than these two? As long as the Sox go 75-87 this year, they are over .500 over the course of the past 2 seasons, of course, not exactly where we want to, or should be, given the division we play in, but certainly not a team that is on the verge of total self-destruction.

I absolutely think a new GM could make this team worse. I think it's actually pretty likely it would be worse. I think Kenny has run into trouble now but can learn from that. I guess it could be all Hahn pulling the strings though so who knows?? Maybe Kenny goes and you still have the mastermind in house.

I also think they'd be much worse without Don Cooper.

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
We need to find a spot for Dayan- but still no legit lead off man in that scenario.

Alexei isn't an ideal leadoff hitter, but he can do the job.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Taylor:

The same way the Braves took Linebrink (who's doing pretty good this year...just sayin') and Teahan.

Lip

amsteel
08-07-2011, 05:12 PM
I give this thread a thumbs up

Clearly the pitching is there to be a contender, and in a post-game thread last week I ran some numbers with Pythagorean W/L records and with an AL-average offense this team would be 8 games over .500.

Can they do it with both Dunn and Rios performing at their current levels? No.

Can Dunn and Rios break out their slumps? Sure.

Would another team take a chance on Dunn and/or Rios? Maybe, I see Dunn being moved before Rios.

I like Ozzie, but this team has been stagnant for 5 years now. Someone (GM, manager, coaching staff) has to get the chop to shake up the organization.

kittle42
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Taylor:

The same way the Braves took Linebrink (who's doing pretty good this year...just sayin') and Teahan.

Lip

Come on, Lip - $5 million a season is a lot different than $12 or $14 million a season.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Kittle:

I agree and I don't think its likely but it's not impossible. It all depends on how much salary the Sox are willing to eat.

Lip

gosox41
08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
After 2011, three years remain on the contracts of Rios and Dunn and six years remain on the contract of Jayson Werth, a good player who has has a disappointing year in Washington. Here is my question: should the Sox and Nats deal their headache contracts to each other? In other words, if the Sox could deal Adam Dunn and Alex Rios for Jayson Werth -- assuming that the financial considerations are roughly neutral -- would you do it?

No. I would take my chances that one or both of these guys are having off years. I woudl thing there would be some reversion to the mean (even if there best years are behind them) and as time goes on they will be productive to the Sox or traded.

Bpb

oldcomiskey
08-08-2011, 04:47 AM

Bob

Lip, you are right on with "be careful what you wish for". Remember LTP and Billy Koch.. Not that everybody loved Koch, but seems to me, I remember everybody wanting a traditional closer instead of Keith Foulke. We all remember how that one turned out

russ99
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I strongly disagree. His swing now is not the same as it was at Georgia. It's not the same as when he first he came up either. It's not even quite the same from game to game. Every time it looks like he's got it figured out he reverts back, like last night.

Ditto for Rios.

Which brings us to the question again - why have a hitting coach if these guys are going to tune him out and revert to the same old mistakes?

I'm sure that people are going to turn this around and say I'm just supporting Ozzie, but would we see a dramatic difference with the same team/management but with Walker kicked upstairs and replaced with someone the players might listen to?

kittle42
08-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm sure that people are going to turn this around and say I'm just supporting Ozzie, but would we see a dramatic difference with the same team/management but with Walker kicked upstairs and replaced with someone the players might listen to?

Depends whether the new hitting coach will be the same guy calling for a bunt from Lillibridge up 3-0 with a man on second and no one out early in the game after Lilli hit two homers in a row and the last three hitters have gone HR, 2B, 2B off this pitcher.

Bob G
08-08-2011, 05:18 PM
This team has been mentally weak for some time. Whenever they get within a few games of first and play at home the pressure becomes too much and they start squeezing the sawdust out of the bats.

I think they'll need to make a number of changes next year but it'll be difficult with Rios and Dunn.