PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News writer Bill Madden was saying in the Fenway press room

Fenway
08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Bill Madden was telling people last night that Selig is musing a quick fix for Florida baseball...

He thinks moving the Marlins to the AL East and the Rays to the NL East could help attendance in both markets, as South Florida is overrun with transplants from the Northeast, and Tampa could develop a rivalry with Atlanta.

On the White Sox he has had several talks with the forgotten co-owner Eddie Einhorn who has hinted something drastic could happen. (Madden would not say what ) He did say that that Einhorn mused we were the brash new young guys 30 years ago but we not so young anymore.

I asked Madden if Eddie's daughter Jennifer ( Jacobson ) could become a player on 35th St and all Madden would say is that she has become one of Selig's most trusted executives. She is 39 years old and is charge of MLB 'special events'.

Zakath
08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I asked Madden if Eddie's daughter Jennifer ( Jacobson ) could become a player on 35th St and all Madden would say is that she has become one of Selig's most trusted executives. She is 39 years old and is charge of MLB 'special events'.

Can she lay off pitches out of the zone? Does she hit for power or is she a good contact hitter?

We'd only get a couple of years out of her at 39.

AZChiSoxFan
08-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Can she lay off pitches out of the zone? Does she hit for power or is she a good contact hitter?

She couldn't be any worse than Dunn.

Noir
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Fens, looking at it this way, you really don't need to move the Rays (unless it's to Montreal)

Viva Medias B's
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't see how Jennifer could become the player on 35th Street; wouldn't Michael Reinsdorf succeed his father in the White Sox front office?

As for the Marlins/Rays divisional swap, I like this idea. I think there are a lot of Yankee fans in South Florida, too, however. Before the Marlins were born, WCIX-TV (then an independent before South Florida underwent massive network affiliation realignments) carried Yankee baseball.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Viva:

Again (for what it's worth) Reinsdorf has said on more than one occasion (the last time on Chicago Tonight to Bob Sirott) that his family has no interest in running the Sox when he is gone.

I've also been told by a person who worked for both Veeck and the Reinsdorf - Einhorn syndicate (no, not Roland...) that JR's wife has been trying to get him to sell the team for years and he refuses to.

At this point based on the info, I don't think any of the Reinsdorf family will be involved with the team on a day to day basis when JR is gone. They may retain the 5% ownership stake but that's it.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-08-2011, 06:24 AM
The swap makes no sense at all, the Marlins already play teams from the Northeast , ever hear of the Mets, Phillies and Nationals and they have a nice rivalry with the Braves. TB has a good rivalry with the Yankees and Boston. A lot of Boston fans live close to TB in the Ft Myers area. If the new stadium does not work out for the Marlins then there is a bigger problem than rivalries.

Fenway
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
JR's son is heavily involved with the Bulls - does not appear to be with the Sox :scratch:

Eddie's daughter obviously is well liked by Selig.

I suspect JR right now is far more concerned with the NBA mess than the White Sox - no NBA season would hurt the Bulls perhaps more than any other team right now.

Viva:

Again (for what it's worth) Reinsdorf has said on more than one occasion (the last time on Chicago Tonight to Bob Sirott) that his family has no interest in running the Sox when he is gone.

I've also been told by a person who worked for both Veeck and the Reinsdorf - Einhorn syndicate (no, not Roland...) that JR's wife has been trying to get him to sell the team for years and he refuses to.

At this point based on the info, I don't think any of the Reinsdorf family will be involved with the team on a day to day basis when JR is gone. They may retain the 5% ownership stake but that's it.

Lip

Hitmen77
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Bill Madden was telling people last night that Selig is musing a quick fix for Florida baseball...

He thinks moving the Marlins to the AL East and the Rays to the NL East could help attendance in both markets, as South Florida is overrun with transplants from the Northeast, and Tampa could develop a rivalry with Atlanta.

It's not going to help the Rays as long as they're stuck at Tropicana Field. 2 playoff appearances including a pennant didn't help, so I doubt moving to the NL will help either.

And I don't see how this helps the Marlins. All it will do is bury them in the AL East.

Once again, the problem is that MLB thinks the key to the success other teams is to make sure they play more games against NYY and BOS because that means more games for Yankees and Red Sox fans to attend! :kukoo: That's no way to build support for a team, but this is what happens when a league is marketed around 2 teams instead of focused on building interest for all teams across the league.

This looks like yet another year where both the Yankees and Boston have playoff spots locked up. This will mean than in the 17 seasons of the current 3-division format, either NY or Bos has won the division all but 3 times. The exceptions are the Rays' 2 division titles and the O's winning the AL East way back in 1997. This will also mean that over the last 9 seasons, a team other than NY or BOS has won the AL wild card only once and no other AL East team has won it since 1996. Under the current economics where these two teams can just pour money into free agents, scouting, the amateur draft, etc. at a rate that most other teams can't even approach, I really don't see any reason why this dominance will change over the next 17 seasons.

How does this help the Marlins? Welcome to your new stadium....and nothing but 3rd place finishes to look forward to!

And people think putting a team in Montreal in the AL East will be a success.:rolling:

Lip Man 1
08-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Hitmen:

And if MLB expands the playoffs (as expected) to five teams from each league, the Yankees and Red Sox will NEVER, mark it, NEVER miss the post season again short of a plane crash.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Hitmen:

And if MLB expands the playoffs (as expected) to five teams from each league, the Yankees and Red Sox will NEVER, mark it, NEVER miss the post season again short of a plane crash.

Lip

And that is exactly how MLB wants it. Far easier to go to their heavier weights than try to market other teams evidently.

gobears1987
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

It can't hurt at this point. I'd happily take the 2010 DH by committee right now.

FielderJones
08-09-2011, 02:18 PM

:tool
"You know how the game serves us. It has a definite social purpose. The game was created to demonstrate the futility of resistance against the Eastern corporate hegemony. If a Central team defeats the meaning for which the game was designed, then they must lose."