PDA

View Full Version : Giants-Phillies Brawl

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Victorino gets hit in the head by reliever Ramirez, charges mound. Polanco races in from 1B and is tackled by Giants C Eli Whiteside. Rather large scrum as benches clear and coaches come in, as well. Several punches thrown, can't really tell by or against whom. Ump later tried to stop Victorino from going back in, gets shoved away, Charlie Manuel tries to do the same, Victorino runs past him. Craziness.

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Victorino, Ramirez, and Whiteside all tossed out. Victorino is probably facing a suspension of at least several games.

kevingrt
08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Victorino was extremely scrappy in that fight. He was moving the ump getting back in the scrum after being pulled away.

Great job by Whiteside there too. Loved it.

Zakath
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Going to be a helluva rematch in the NLCS.

WhiteSox5187
08-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Victorino did not get hit in the head, he got hit in the butt. I don't know why that pitcher hit him unless it was just to send a message that the Giants were tired of getting stomped on.

palehozenychicty
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Victorino did not get hit in the head, he got hit in the butt. I don't know why that pitcher hit him unless it was just to send a message that the Giants were tired of getting stomped on.

Bingo. The teams got into a scuffle in last year's NLCS. Charlie Manuel, in the previous matchup out in Phila, said (http://tinyurl.com/3lvu9bc) that Cain and Lincecum were "good, not great."

Unless the Brewers pull off an upset, these teams are destined for a rematch. I can't wait.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Victorino is probably facing a suspension of at least several games.

IIRC,Hideki Kuroda did the same thing to Victorino in 2008.There are a lot of bad feelings between these
2 teams thanks to last autumn.As a Phils fan,I hope the Phils get a shot at revenge this fall.

TDog
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM

What pushed things over the top was Jimmy Rollins stealing second base with a six-run lead during in the inning.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 06:34 PM
What pushed things over the top was Jimmy Rollins stealing second base with a six-run lead during in the inning.

Oh boo ****ing hoo. I hate when teams get upset about the crap.

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 08:37 PM

I agree. Plus, this isn't the 60's anymore, six-run leads disappear easily this day and age.

Viva Medias B's
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
For a short player at 5'9", Victorino seems particularly vicious in bench-clearing gatherings.

TDog
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM

When you have a six-run lead late in a game on the road against a team that is last in the league in runs scored and you steal a base, you should expect to be hit, regardless of the decade. Especially when you consider all the stuff that had gone down between these teams in the last year. Especially when you consider that the Phillies have a reputation of only stealing bases when it means something.

I didn't say it was justified. But it was to be expected.

But it does seem more justified than hitting a batter because one of your guys gets hit. Most hit batsmen are accidental.

ghostface36
08-07-2011, 10:15 AM
For a short player at 5'9", Victorino seems particularly vicious in bench-clearing gatherings.
please man when he took his first steps Whiteside was all in his face begging him to throw down. Then like 2 minutes later when everyone from both teams is on the field victorino sneak spears a 45 year old coach? that was very unmanly. Victorino is a shook one