PDA

View Full Version : Zach Stewart to pitch Saturday, Bruney DFA

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/MDGonzales/status/99677206690799616

asindc
08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Bruney was brutal. Improve while you're down there, please.

thomas35forever
08-05-2011, 10:26 PM
http://chzpokememes.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/pokmon-youre-right-it-was-unknown.jpg

HaroMaster87
08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
unless somebody claims him...is this kenny trying to justify his trade while not talking about the fact that Peavy is "ouchy" yet again??

Brian26
08-05-2011, 11:10 PM
unless somebody claims him...is this kenny trying to justify his trade while not talking about the fact that Peavy is "ouchy" yet again??

It's more of a testament to how bad the Sox minor league system is. I'm excited to see Stewart though.

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
So we're back to a six-man rotation?

kevingrt
08-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Well that is most interesting. Either Peavy is hurt again or Ozzie loves him some 6 man rotation.

TheOldRoman
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Why would "Peavy to pitch on Sunday" lead people to believe he is injured? If he were injured, they would do more than give him an extra day off.

What happened is - they decided that Bruney blows and needed to be replaced. It made sense to call up a starter so they could give the 5 in the rotation an extra day of rest, especially with Peavy throwing closed to 120 pitches last time out. Stewart will get sent down after tomorrow's game and be replaced with another reliever.

TomBradley72
08-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Stewart is 5-6, 4.20 ERA at AA/AAA this year- at age 25 (a month away).

Allowed 10 hits in 6 innings in his only start in Charlotte.

What an exciting prospect.

Another great move by the genius Kenny Williams.

TheOldRoman
08-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Another great move by the genius Kenny Williams.And yet, he is a top 50 prospect. We should have gotten a top five prospect for Jackson!

HaroMaster87
08-06-2011, 12:03 AM
he is really a top 50 prospect in all of MLB?

why would they push Peavy back if he wasnt at least ouchy?

I dont have an opinion either way...just wondering.

If this kid is 25, I'd rather have him working with Coop anyway...

doublem23
08-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Another great move by the genius Kenny Williams.

You should check out Phil Humber's minor league track record.

KW has struck out on a lot of his big time moves, no denying that, but the guy is still straight savvy when it comes to these reclamation projects and under the radar guys. Excited to see what Stewart can be. Pretty much all I have left to look forward to this season. **** that sucks.

DirtySox
08-06-2011, 12:25 AM
he is really a top 50 prospect in all of MLB?

why would they push Peavy back if he wasnt at least ouchy?

I dont have an opinion either way...just wondering.

If this kid is 25, I'd rather have him working with Coop anyway...

He's only a top 50 MLB prospect this season on Keith Law's list. He didn't make top 100 lists for Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus. Goldstein thinks he's a reliever. I'm not all that excited about him, but I'll wait and see.

Nelson Foxtrot
08-06-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Stewart pitch. He had a terrible start against Atlanta (5 ER, 10 hits, 3BB, 2K in 3.2 IP) sandwiched between good outings against Baltimore (2 ER, 7 hits, 1BB, 4K in 7 IP) and Detroit (2 ER, 9 hits, 1BB, 4K in 6 IP). He's very aggressive, with good control, got through the 7 inning BAL start on 86 pitches, and threw 105 pitches against DET after early struggles, getting through his last couple innings with no runs and a couple hits. If he can cut down on the hit total, he could be good.

Stewart's changeup may be his make or break pitch, at least as a starter. Scouts and Jays fans have been high on him, but most think his ideal role is in the pen, many thinking he has great closer potential as a fastball/slider pitcher. Coming into the season, Baseball America thought he had the best fastball in the Jays system and predicted him to be their future closer. He was drafted as a closer, started his minor league career in relief, and hit 96 MPH on his four-seamer, but has settled in at 92-93 on that when he starts. His throws a good sinking 88-91 MPH two-seamer. He also has great movement on his slider and can change speed on it very well.

Most reports say that his changeup isn't good enough to keep hitters from sitting on the fastball and will limit his effectiveness as a starter. However, he spent 2010 focused on improving the pitch. The comments I've seen from Jays fans about his MLB appearances this year state that he can throw a nasty change. Keith Law also thought it was pretty good while watching Stewart in the minors at the end of last season, and thinks Stewart could be a #2 starter (#3 if the change normally isn't that good). He also has a curve that I can't find much about.

I don't know why the Jays had Stewart in AA again this year. He had a terrible April and May there last year, but pitched great after that. For the sabermetric crowd, he had a good 3.67 FIP and a high .330 BABIP over his first dozen starts this year, leading people to suggest that his 4.39 ERA at the time was the result of bad defense and bad luck. I never paid much attention to those stats, so maybe somebody can chime in on that.

With the current payroll situation and the possibility of it being cut next season, I would be pleased if Zach Stewart can at least be a solid dirt-cheap fifth starter in 2012. I'm in favor of a return to the 6-man rotation to see if this kid can do well over a few starts.

ghostface36
08-06-2011, 02:21 AM
why dont they let him start then move him to the pen so Coop can work with him?

hawkjt
08-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Peavy went deep his last game,so this makes sense. It is clear that Peavy needs to be pushed,then babied,as he climbs the ladder toward being all the way back.

Lets see what Stewart has...maybe he projects as part of the rotation next year.

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
They should keep Stewart out of the clubhouse and away from the team until it is time to prepare for his start.

Then he doesn't have to hear his new teammates piss in their pants on how scary it is playing those almighty Twinks.

tstrike2000
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Well that is most interesting. Either Peavy is hurt again or Ozzie loves him some 6 man rotation.

Maybe Ozzie is wanting a rookie to pitch so Thome can hit the two homers he needs in one game.

veeter
08-06-2011, 09:24 AM
In a year of stagnant crap a new, young face is most welcomed. Hell De Aza has been a little boost for me.

soxfanreggie
08-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Peavy went deep his last game,so this makes sense. It is clear that Peavy needs to be pushed,then babied,as he climbs the ladder toward being all the way back.

Lets see what Stewart has...maybe he projects as part of the rotation next year.

Depending on what happens with MB, Humber, Sale, and the payroll, I could see this happening. It's scary to think of how many question marks we have here for the future without thinking of Peavy's health and a L-T deal for Danks.

Boondock Saint
08-06-2011, 09:35 AM
why dont they let him start then move him to the pen so Coop can work with him?

That could conceivably happen.

Zisk77
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
He's only a top 50 MLB prospect this season on Keith Law's list. He didn't make top 100 lists for Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus. Goldstein thinks he's a reliever. I'm not all that excited about him, but I'll wait and see.

First let me say Goldstein might be right and I have never seen Stewert pitch. However I have heard Goldstein 2x on the radio say this and I disagree with his rationale for his assement. He says That Zach is a sinkerball pitcher that pitches to contact and gives up over a hit an inning and therefore should be a reliever. I think he is misreading that stat. If you are a power pitcher you shouldn't be over a a hit an inning pitched. However if you pitch to contact and especially a sinkerball pitcher you are likely to give up more than a hit an inning. Sometimes those gb find holes. Sometimes those GB turn into double plays too. Also I've never seen a gb go over the fence. Plenty of good starting pitchers give up more than a hit an inning pitches. See Beurhle, Garland, etc.

I know this doesn't fit the KW doesn't know what he is doing agenda and are minor league will always suck, but I propose we actually see how Zach Stewert does before declaing him a bust. Radical I know.

ghostface36
08-06-2011, 11:27 AM
That could conceivably happen.
it makes the most sense to me b/c our bullpen is already amazing it'd give coop a lot of one on one time w stewart n.h

TomBradley72
08-06-2011, 11:28 AM

KW has struck out on a lot of his big time moves, no denying that, but the guy is still straight savvy when it comes to these reclamation projects and under the radar guys. Excited to see what Stewart can be. Pretty much all I have left to look forward to this season. **** that sucks.

Over time this has turned into Daniel Hudson(24) for Stewart (25). Hudson is 18-8 w/a 3.00 ERA since we traded him- combined with Gio Gonzalez (25) at 9-9, 3.10 ERA (15-9 in 2010)- it's just frustrating to see so many poor moves/trades over the past few years.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 12:48 PM
over time this has turned into daniel hudson(24) for stewart (25). Hudson is 18-8 w/a 3.00 era since we traded him- combined with gio gonzalez (25) at 9-9, 3.10 era (15-9 in 2010)- it's just frustrating to see so many poor moves/trades over the past few years.

meh, what's done is done. Given the way some people react to a losing season around here, I'm sure they would have been thrilled watching Gio (Gio especially) and Hudson suck while they learned how to pitch in the Majors.

shes
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know why the Jays had Stewart in AA again this year. He had a terrible April and May there last year, but pitched great after that. For the sabermetric crowd, he had a good 3.67 FIP and a high .330 BABIP over his first dozen starts this year, leading people to suggest that his 4.39 ERA at the time was the result of bad defense and bad luck. I never paid much attention to those stats, so maybe somebody can chime in on that.

The average BABIP is around .300, so that is high. Historical precedent shows that no pitcher maintains a substantially low or high BABIP; they all even out around .290 - .310 by the time their career ends (e.g., Rocky Biddle, Greg Maddux, Mike Maddux, and Mike Mussina all finished their careers with virtually the same BABIP, despite, of course, having careers that ranged from crappy to legendary).

Essentially, if you're well above .310, you've been pitching better than the box score indicates, and if you're well below .290, you're not quite as good as the box would indicate. (Looking at the Sox this year, Humber has a very low BABIP and Peavy's is pretty high, so their fortunes may swap these last few months).

FIP attempts to measure only what the pitcher can control and remove the defense/luck factor from performance measurement, so in essence what FIP says is that Zach Stewart pitched closer to an average AA pitcher than a below average one.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Humber's thrown quite a few innings this year.The "dead arm" period might be starting for him.That may also be a reason for starting Stewart.

SI1020
08-06-2011, 03:06 PM
The average BABIP is around .300, so that is high. Historical precedent shows that no pitcher maintains a substantially low or high BABIP; they all even out around .290 - .310 by the time their career ends (e.g., Rocky Biddle, Greg Maddux, Mike Maddux, and Mike Mussina all finished their careers with virtually the same BABIP, despite, of course, having careers that ranged from crappy to legendary).

Essentially, if you're well above .310, you've been pitching better than the box score indicates, and if you're well below .290, you're not quite as good as the box would indicate. (Looking at the Sox this year, Humber has a very low BABIP and Peavy's is pretty high, so their fortunes may swap these last few months).

FIP attempts to measure only what the pitcher can control and remove the defense/luck factor from performance measurement, so in essence what FIP says is that Zach Stewart pitched closer to an average AA pitcher than a below average one. I'm only one man without any high powered programs so I've spent part of the afternoon testing your assertion and it looks pretty good. One thing I did notice is that pitchers from my youth had considerable lower BABIP but still within a pretty narrow range. For instance the following.

Billy Pierce .266
Whitey Ford .264
Warren Spahn .262
Early Wynn .260
Sandy Koufax .259

All really good pitchers and all in the HOF except Pierce. K/9 is much higher in today's game so I assume the lower BABIP range of that era is due to the lower K ratios back then.

RowanDye
08-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Over time this has turned into Daniel Hudson(24) for Stewart (25). Hudson is 18-8 w/a 3.00 ERA since we traded him- combined with Gio Gonzalez (25) at 9-9, 3.10 ERA (15-9 in 2010)- it's just frustrating to see so many poor moves/trades over the past few years.

The Swisher trade sucked, but I think you're overrating Gio and Hudson. Check out their home/away splits.

You can argue that the White Sox' organization overthinks ballpark factors, but it's pretty undeniable that Gio and Hudson are poor fits at U.S. Cellular.

shes
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm only one man without any high powered programs so I've spent part of the afternoon testing your assertion and it looks pretty good. One thing I did notice is that pitchers from my youth had considerable lower BABIP but still within a pretty narrow range. For instance the following.

Billy Pierce .266
Whitey Ford .264
Warren Spahn .262
Early Wynn .260
Sandy Koufax .259

All really good pitchers and all in the HOF except Pierce. K/9 is much higher in today's game so I assume the lower BABIP range of that era is due to the lower K ratios back then.

The league average BABIP was in fact lower back then, although I don't know the exact number off the top of my head and some light Googling hasn't shed any light. I'd say .260 to .280 seems about right for most years back then.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 06:31 PM
The league average BABIP was in fact lower back then, although I don't know the exact number off the top of my head and some light Googling hasn't shed any light. I'd say .260 to .280 seems about right for most years back then.

Yes, much less offense in the good old days.

Obviously, I have only seen 1 IP of work from Stewart, but he definitely has the "stuff" to be an MLB pitcher. Just gotta see how long he can command it.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes, much less offense in the good old days.

Obviously, I have only seen 1 IP of work from Stewart, but he definitely has the "stuff" to be an MLB pitcher. Just gotta see how long he can command it.

Stewart looked pretty solid last nite. If Adam Dunn can move quicker than one of those knights of the medival age in full armor,he shuts out the twins for 7 innings. I think he has enough movement on a live fastball,and a change up,so that Coop can work with him on a third pitch..slider,and make him a solid 3,4,5 starter. Like Hudson.

shes
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
He definitely passed the eye test last night. Hopefully Coop can work his magic and turn him into a middle/back of the rotation guy a la Gavin Floyd.

soxfanreggie
08-08-2011, 12:35 PM
He definitely passed the eye test last night. Hopefully Coop can work his magic and turn him into a middle/back of the rotation guy a la Gavin Floyd.

If he has his confidence going right now after that outing, I definitely want to see if he can have another good outing. I don't expect a repeat, but if we can get 6 or 7 innings of 2 or 3 runs allowed out of him, that should keep us in the ballgame as long as our offense shows up.

After this game, he has definitely earned another start this year in the big leagues.

guillensdisciple
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Any word on a pending start in the future?

If this kid pans out to be a 3 or 4 pitcher for the Sox that will be a hell of a trade by Kenny. All Hudson complaints will have to calm a little.

FielderJones
08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Any word on a pending start in the future?

If this kid pans out to be a 3 or 4 pitcher for the Sox that will be a hell of a trade by Kenny. All Hudson complaints will have to calm a little.

As if today, the probable pitcher (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers/index.jsp?c_id=cws) for Friday is still TBA. If I were manager I would give the kid the ball against the mighty Bruce Chen.

RowanDye
08-09-2011, 12:56 AM

Hey, let's overreact to a small sample size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel Hudson @ Houston Astros

3.0 IP 11 H 7 R 4 ER 1 HR 0 BB 1 SO

OMG! What a good trade!

hawkjt
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
As if today, the probable pitcher (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers/index.jsp?c_id=cws) for Friday is still TBA. If I were manager I would give the kid the ball against the mighty Bruce Chen.

They announced that Stewart would go Friday vs the Royals,with Peavy going Saturday,and Danks sunday. Coop is toying with going to a 4 man rotation briefly with 3 off days in the next 11.

So my guess is:

O's - Floyd,Humber,Buehrle
KC- Stewart,Peavy,Danks
day off
Tribe- Floyd,Buehrle,Peavy
Texas- Humber,Danks,Floyd
day off
Angels- Buehrle,Peavy
day off-
Seattle- Danks,Floyd,Buehrle
Twins- Humber,Peavy,Danks
day off
Tigers- Floyd,Buehrle,Humber

Go with a 5 man the rest of september.

This will maximize MB's starts,make sure Peavy gets that extra day,keeps Stewart a bit buried,and gives Humber extra rest.

Tragg
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
So far, so good, eh?

KMcMahon817
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Any word on if Bruney cleared waivers? Wouldn't be a terrible guy to have around in September.

vinny
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Any word on if Bruney cleared waivers? Wouldn't be a terrible guy to have around in September.

I don't think the Sox have announced what they're doing with him yet (trade, waiver, or release). They still have a week to decide.

balke
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Gio is a free agent next year. Hudson currently has a near 4.00 ERA in the NL West. He'd be the 5th best starter until Peavy gets healthy. I wanted Hudson but some people gotta quit trying to make this trade out to be a franchise ender. Its a sturdy young pitcher. Kenny found 2 in the bargain bin this year alone.

Tragg
08-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Gio is a free agent next year. Hudson currently has a near 4.00 ERA in the NL West. He'd be the 5th best starter until Peavy gets healthy. I wanted Hudson but some people gotta quit trying to make this trade out to be a franchise ender. Its a sturdy young pitcher. Kenny found 2 in the bargain bin this year alone.

Kenny's so darn good with "bargain bin" players and reclamation projects (especially pitchers) that we might actually do better if JR puts in a little salary constraint**, which might prevent these "blockbuster" trades that have generally backfired.

**emphasis on "a little"

doublem23
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Unless I am unaware that I time traveled to 2015, he is not.

kittle42
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Is he a riot in the clubhouse or is he good at picking up after his teammates?

Tragg
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Chemistry, man...he holds Daver's bunson burner in the bullpen.....

balke
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Unless I am unaware that I time traveled to 2015, he is not.

Whoops - bad info on my part. I guess he's only arb. Eligible next season.

KMcMahon817
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM

3 of his last 4 appearances were terrible, no doubt, but prior to those appearances he threw 16 2/3 innings giving up only 4 ER. And in his poor outings, especially the one against the Red Sox, in which he gave up 6 ER, he got hung out to dry. Ozzie had no intentions of using another pitcher that night, and Bruney ended up paying the price.

He would be a decent arm to have out of the bullpen in September. Who would you rather have come up from AAA in September other than Reed? Infante? Nunez?

kittle42
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
3 of his last 4 appearances were terrible, no doubt, but prior to those appearances he threw 16 2/3 innings giving up only 4 ER. And in his poor outings, especially the one against the Red Sox, in which he gave up 6 ER, he got hung out to dry. Ozzie had no intentions of using another pitcher that night, and Bruney ended up paying the price.

He would be a decent arm to have out of the bullpen in September. Who would you rather have come up from AAA in September other than Reed? Infante? Nunez?

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral.

KMcMahon817
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral.

Good talk, Chief.

doublem23
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Whoops - bad info on my part. I guess he's only arb. Eligible next season.

Yes, he is arb eligible from 2012-2015

vinny
08-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Bruney cleared waivers and rejected assignment to Charlotte so he's been relased.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23239858&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

eriqjaffe
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Bruney cleared waivers and rejected assignment to Charlotte so he's been relased.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23239858&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cwsSo who wants to start the Brian Bruney appreciation thread?

doublem23
08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
So who wants to start the Brian Bruney appreciation thread?

I appreciated Brian Bruney's beard.

KMcMahon817
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110815&content_id=23239858&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Hah, alright Mr. Bruney. He probably didn't like the comments Ozzie made about him after he was DFA.

asindc
08-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I appreciate that he was available to make room for Zack Stewart.

doublem23
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
I appreciate that he was available to make room for Zack Stewart.

Well, I think Bruney's spot was technically taken by Frasor, but either way it is an upgrade.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
His beard did it's job while he was here. Frasor and Stewart are upgrades, and if the Sox need to make a call for another RHP, it should be Reed, not Bruney. So no loss.

bridgeportcopper
08-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I appreciated Brian Bruney's beard.

Put a sailor's hat on him and he was Bluto!

'seperated at birth!

eriqjaffe
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Members of the Yankees would probably test positive for Spinach.

TheCommander
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Put a sailor's hat on him and he was Bluto!

'seperated at birth!

Great minds think alike. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2701191&postcount=6)