PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-5 Stop the Presses! Sox win in Minnesota, 5-3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Unreal...

hi im skot
08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
The Twins are crappier than the Sox.

thomas35forever
Pigs are flying, the sun is setting in the east, etc.

Frater Perdurabo
Provided he wants to continue playing, the Sox should make every effort to re-sign Buehrle.

voodoochile
08-05-2011, 10:41 PM
WOOHOO! :D:

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

hi im skot
08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Provided he wants to continue playing, the Sox should make every effort to re-sign Buehrle.

Agreed. At his best, he can shut down anyone. At his worst, he can still eat some innings.

Zakath
08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Buehrle and TCQ.

Those 13 LOB and 0-for-10 RISP come back to bite us in the ass if not for those two tonight.

Nelfox02
08-05-2011, 10:45 PM
will admit, after the way that first inning went down, shocked to see them get this one.....

but feels great to win again.....do it again tomorrow!

what a night for Burls.....Sale has looked great as of late. Some nice D from Morel and even TCM

No Rios? cool

Quentin with some big flys

Feel Good Friday

TDog
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
If the Twins were as strong fundamentally as so many insist, they would have won this game. But if Konerko had been up to playing in the field tonight, Buehrle would have pitched a shutout.

Nelfox02
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM

Mark has made a lot of money is this game, deservedly so.......does he give the Sox a discount?

Guessing Mark could get a pretty good contract out there......doubt the Sox are not going to be wanting to dole out much money this off season.....

Soxman219
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
The Sox.....won a game? Against the Twins? IN MINNESOTA?:scratch:

RCWHITESOX
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
The Sox won because the pressure is off and the Sox and the Twins will be fighting it out for 3rd and 4th. What a year. White Sox baseball you have to love it.

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2011, 10:48 PM

I don't know how we could fit him in payroll wise with JR talking about trimming payroll. He'll demand 12 mil per I'm sure.

I'd love to have him, but I just don't see it happening.

ChiSoxGal85
Wow. Buehrle is the man, steady as a rock lately. And TCQ's bat is back. I love Morel's defense - I hope in time he improves at the plate; he could be a solid player.

I didn't see the whole game but the numbers show the usual lack of key hitting with runners on base/in scoring position. Sheesh.

But a win is a win - and at Target field, no less. Beat the Twins? I'll take it.:bandance:

**** the twins

Zakath
08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't know how we could fit him in payroll wise with JR talking about trimming payroll. He'll demand 12 mil per I'm sure.

He's making 14 now, so it'll be a discount.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Do you believe in miracles?

Lip

veeter
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Buehrle is every bit as good as Tom Glavine. Glavine won over 300 games and probably goes in the H.O.F. Mark will just go down as a really good pitcher. I really hope he re-signs with the Sox.

Aesero
08-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Ok who made the deal with the devil make this happen.

TDog
08-05-2011, 10:54 PM
The Sox won because the pressure is off and the Sox and the Twins will be fighting it out for 3rd and 4th. What a year. White Sox baseball you have to love it.

The Sox were under as much pressure tonight than they were against the Yankees, maybe more pressure.

Lundind1
Oh my, finally.

soxfanatlanta
Man, do the Twins suck or what? I'll take it, though.

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Buehrle is every bit as good as Tom Glavine. Glavine won over 300 games and probably goes in the H.O.F. Mark will just go down as a really good pitcher. I really hope he re-signs with the Sox.

No, he's not, and I don't think it's even close.

Zakath
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
0 walks in 4 games, and we draw 7 tonight.

Bizarro world in Minneapolis.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2011, 10:58 PM
As mentioned, I love Mark Buehrle. But he's no Tom Glavine.

Either way, good to get a win despite the usual pathetic offense. This game should have been a blowout.

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2011, 10:59 PM

He'd be even better than Glavine if he had his strike zone. (Remember the Braves getting busted for cheating with their larger catcher box?) Mark's also had bad luck at times in his career w/run support and bad bullpens.

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
He'd be even better than Glavine if he had his strike zone. (Remember the Braves getting busted for cheating with their larger catcher box?) Mark's also had bad luck at times in his career w/run support and bad bullpens.

Glavine also had a career ERA that Mark has only matched three times, one of those being this season. Glavine won 2 Cy Young awards and finished in the top 3 5 other seasons, while Buehrle has finished in the top 5 once.

Mark Buehrle is one my 3 favorite White Sox players ever, along with Konerko and the Big Hurt. But he's not Tom Glavine.

veeter
08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
He'd be even better than Glavine if he had his strike zone. (Remember the Braves getting busted for cheating with their larger catcher box?) Mark's also had bad luck at times in his career w/run support and bad bullpens.I agree. Buehrle on all those great Braves teams, with a great manager, he's got a ton more wins.

asindc
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM

When Buehrle starts getting the 3-inches-off-the-outside-plate-call consistently like Atlanta pitchers did back then, I'll agree with you.

TDog
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
I agree. Buehrle on all those great Braves teams, with a great manager, he's got a ton more wins.

And if he had Glavine's strike zone and the defense that played behind him, he might have a couple more no-hitters.

It's a meaningless comparison.

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Glavine had 170 wins at the end of his age 32 season; Mark has 157 right now with some more starts to finish his age 32 season.

Glavine also pitched in the NL.

If Mark gets to say, 160 wins by the end of the year with his 3.80 lifetime ERA in the AL, would that not be at least as equal to Glavine's 170 wins and 3.35 ERA in the NL at the same age?

Zakath
08-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Glavine - 22 seasons, 682 GS, 305-203, 3.54 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 56 CG, 25 SHO, 1500 BB, 2607 K

Buehrle (excluding tonight) - 11+ seasons, 355 GS, 156-115, 3.81 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 27 CG, 8 SHO, 551 BB, 1361 K

I don't think Buehrle will even come close to Glavine's longevity, but I don't think that you can say it's not even close. Glavine's entire career was spent in the NL, while Buehrle's only pitched in the AL, so the ERA's become comparable.

Buehrle has always been a finesse pitcher, never having a blazing fastball, while Glavine had to become a finesse pitcher after he started losing velocity.

Of course, there are a couple of categories where Glavine can't compare to Buehrle: he never threw a no-hitter in the majors (much less a perfect game), and he never won a Gold Glove (he did win four Silver Sluggers, though).

SBSoxFan
08-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Glavine also had a career ERA that Mark has only matched three times, one of those being this season. Glavine won 2 Cy Young awards and finished in the top 3 5 other seasons, while Buehrle has finished in the top 5 once.

Mark Buehrle is one my 3 favorite White Sox players ever, along with Konerko and the Big Hurt. But he's not Tom Glavine.

For what it's worth, their WAR's are nearly identical after their first 11 full seasons.

veeter
08-05-2011, 11:17 PM
And if he had Glavine's strike zone and the defense that played behind him, he might have a couple more no-hitters.

It's a meaningless comparison.No it's not. Mark probably would have a couple more no hitters.

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Glavine - 22 seasons, 682 GS, 305-203, 3.54 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 56 CG, 25 SHO, 1500 BB, 2607 K

Buehrle (excluding tonight) - 11+ seasons, 355 GS, 156-115, 3.81 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 27 CG, 8 SHO, 551 BB, 1361 K

I don't think Buehrle will even come close to Glavine's longevity, but I don't think that you can say it's not even close. Glavine's entire career was spent in the NL, while Buehrle's only pitched in the AL, so the ERA's become comparable.

Buehrle has always been a finesse pitcher, never having a blazing fastball, while Glavine had to become a finesse pitcher after he started losing velocity.

Of course, there are a couple of categories where Glavine can't compare to Buehrle: he never threw a no-hitter in the majors (much less a perfect game), and he never won a Gold Glove (he did win four Silver Sluggers, though).

Correct on everything except the bolded; Glavine never had velocity. In fact Mark earlier in his career used to hit 89-90 pretty consistently, while Glavine maxed out at about 88.

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Blackburn was horrendous tonight. MB cruised. I had forgotten what this "win" feeling was like.

soxfanreggie
08-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I would love for Mark to come back. I don't think it will be as much about the money versus the offers he gets from us and StL. If he wants to continue playing, I see him ending up either here or there.

Cards are going to have to give Pujols at least $8-10 million more for next year, so that could impact what they could offer MB before they even consider contract escalators and other raises and FA contracts.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Teahen's gone. Jackson's gone. Pierre will be gone. Quentin is likely to be dealt. Maybe Thornton. Should free up plenty of payroll to keep Buehrle.

Foreignsox
08-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes! Win is so nice all the fun we are now having is nice! I told you all we win and we will get where we need to. Sweep the Twins and soon we will catch the Indians then it is time to declaw the kitens.

PalehosePlanet
08-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Teahen's gone. Jackson's gone. Pierre will be gone. Quentin is likely to be dealt. Maybe Thornton. Should free up plenty of payroll to keep Buehrle.

It all depends on where JR wants the payroll to be. Don't forget Alexei goes up to 5 million next year, Danks and Quentin will get slight raises (if they're still here) Frasor's option is 3.75 if we pick it up, Humber is due for a big raise, and AJ goes up from 2 to 6 million.

If payroll goes down to about a 100 mil it might not be possible.

JB98
08-06-2011, 01:01 AM
This game should put to rest the whole notion of the Twins being "fundamentally sound" this year. They are awful, as seven walks, two errors, a hit batsmen and a wild pitch will attest. They gave a lot away to the Sox tonight.

Of course, the Sox gave the Twins their three runs also. Sloppy baseball between two teams headed nowhere, but we'll savor any win we can get over those Minnesota bastards.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 01:08 AM
This game should put to rest the whole notion of the Twins being "fundamentally sound" this year. They are awful, as seven walks, two errors, a hit batsmen and a wild pitch will attest. They gave a lot away to the Sox tonight.

Of course, the Sox gave the Twins their three runs also. Sloppy baseball between two teams headed nowhere, but we'll savor any win we can get over those Minnesota bastards.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

It's nice to see that in this lost season, the Twins are every bit as bad as we are.

Misery loves company

BigHurt3515
08-06-2011, 02:03 AM
The way Buehrle pitches he could pitch another 11 seasons and his numbers would be up there close to Glavine but don't think he will win a Cy Young or get to 300 wins behind the kind of team he is on now

Dan H
08-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Do you believe in miracles?

Lip

No. Way too little, way too late.

cards press box
08-06-2011, 05:08 AM
No. Way too little, way too late.

Don't know. You may be right but I want to see the Sox finish the season as strong as possible. Anyway, it's always to good to say

:winner

and

:twinslose

socko82
08-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Glad we won but the 6th inning was infuriating. 2 on, nobody out, Ramirez up and Blackburn on the ropes. And what does Ozzie do? He bunts! Everybody in the place knew that just meant the Twins would walk Konerko and bring in a lefty to pitch to Dunn and his .038 average versus southpaws. You could see it coming and he did it anyway! Instead of letting two of our best hitters swing the bat against a struggling pitcher Ozzie took the bat out of both of their hands to leave it up to Dunn against a lefty. Big shocker we don't score and leave the bases loaded. Like I said, glad we won but that was just baseball stupidity!

hawkjt
08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Glad we won but the 6th inning was infuriating. 2 on, nobody out, Ramirez up and Blackburn on the ropes. And what does Ozzie do? He bunts! Everybody in the place knew that just meant the Twins would walk Konerko and bring in a lefty to pitch to Dunn and his .038 average versus southpaws. You could see it coming and he did it anyway! Instead of letting two of our best hitters swing the bat against a struggling pitcher Ozzie took the bat out of both of their hands to leave it up to Dunn against a lefty. Big shocker we don't score and leave the bases loaded. Like I said, glad we won but that was just baseball stupidity!

Nah...Ozzie still has to play the percentages that you can get an insurance run without a hit if he bunts. Dunn made contact,didn't he?
PK was struggling last nite with his leg and rustiness.
Alexei has been bad this year with RISP.

MB was vintage again last nite. 17 straight starts with 3 runs or less? Best such streak since 1972? Man,MB is one of those streak guys...remember the 56 straight starts of 6 innings or more? How can you not love the guy? I have to think the 6 man rotation has really helped him this year,but I still hope and pray they find a way to get him for another 3 year deal...love to see him retire as a Sox. Statute time,anyone? If he finished as a Sox with another 3-4 years,wins over 200 games,along with all the rest of his accomplishments like 2 no-nos,perfect game,WS win,WS save,Gold Gloves,homers,and sheer love of the game...an all-timer,no doubt about it.

Oh,and Carlos was King Kong last nite also...please go on one of your patented streaks,Carlos...we need a miracle.

SCCWS
08-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I love Morel's defense - I hope in time he improves at the plate; he could be a solid player.

:bandance:

Maybe for somebody at AAA. But he was a "singles" hitter in the minors and that is exactly what he has shown in the majors. The Sox cannot afford to have another .275 ( I'll give him a gradual improvement) hitter w no speed in the lineup. Not playing what is mostly a power position in the majors. They moved Beckham already from 3rd and now we have a guy with even less pop in his bat.

DrCrawdad
08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe for somebody at AAA. But he was a "singles" hitter in the minors and that is exactly what he has shown in the majors. The Sox cannot afford to have another .275 ( I'll give him a gradual improvement) hitter w no speed in the lineup. Not playing what is mostly a power position in the majors. They moved Beckham already from 3rd and now we have a guy with even less pop in his bat.

Morel may not be a speedster but he's not a Konerko-Dunn-AJ type either.

October26
08-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok who made the deal with the devil make this happen.

:rolling: Not me, not me!

But here's what I did do. Sox-Twins games make me anxious, so instead of sitting in front of the TV and watching, I decided to DO something while listening to the game. Last night, I cleaned out the entryway closet.

Buehrle pitched great and Quentin's bat was awesome! I also love Morel's defense (if he could only hit for power).

Fantastic win in Twinlandia last night. I smiled when I heard a "Let's Go White sox" chant up there at Target Field - kudos to our brave fans for representing! Tonight, I'm planning to clean the bathroom and hopefully listen to another White sox winner!

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
The Sox.....won a game? Against the Twins? IN MINNESOTA?:scratch:

http://www.cybersalt.org/images/funnypictures/signs/signhell.jpg

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 10:57 AM
The way Buehrle pitches he could pitch another 11 seasons and his numbers would be up there close to Glavine but don't think he will win a Cy Young or get to 300 wins behind the kind of team he is on now

Being on a playoff team every year of your prime helped too for Glavine.

SBSoxFan
08-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Nah...Ozzie still has to play the percentages that you can get an insurance run without a hit if he bunts. Dunn made contact,didn't he?
PK was struggling last nite with his leg and rustiness.
Alexei has been bad this year with RISP.

MB was vintage again last nite. 17 straight starts with 3 runs or less? Best such streak since 1972? Man,MB is one of those streak guys...remember the 56 straight starts of 6 innings or more? How can you not love the guy? I have to think the 6 man rotation has really helped him this year,but I still hope and pray they find a way to get him for another 3 year deal...love to see him retire as a Sox. Statute time,anyone? If he finished as a Sox with another 3-4 years,wins over 200 games,along with all the rest of his accomplishments like 2 no-nos,perfect game,WS win,WS save,Gold Gloves,homers,and sheer love of the game...an all-timer,no doubt about it.

Oh,and Carlos was King Kong last nite also...please go on one of your patented streaks,Carlos...we need a miracle.
If memory serves, the reason the streak was stopped was because he got thrown out of a game in Baltimore for hitting a batter. It was in retaliation, and good for him, for protecting his teammates at the expense of that streak.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2011, 01:01 PM
August 1, 2005 - Pitcher Mark Buehrle’s streak of 49 straight starts with six or more innings ends when he is thrown out of a game in Baltimore by umpire Brian Gorman. “Hawk” Harrelson is extremely upset in the TV booth (you’ve GOT to be kidding me!) Buehrle gets tossed without warning for hitting B.J. Surhoff after White Sox hitters are struck earlier in the game. The Sox would get the last laugh however winning the game and sweeping the four game series.

Lip