PDA

View Full Version : Don Cooper Not Signed For 2012

SoxNation05
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
It would be a real shame to lose Coop. To think of this staff and team without him is scary. What he did with Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Santos and most recently Humber is just amazing.

Also works a lot with kids at his established camps in the suburbs. Hopefully more of an incentive for him to stick around?

24thStFan
08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Can he manage?:smile:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2011, 04:17 PM
It would be so like the Sox to let Cooper go and sign Walker to an extension. Maybe Walker will do better with more job security!

VenturaFan23
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
It would be so like the Sox to let Cooper go and sign Walker to an extension. Maybe Walker will do better with more job security!

Ha, that's the first thing I thought of too when I saw this thread.

SI1020
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm late to the party. What else is new? Extensions for everyone and walking papers for Cooper. Got that meatballs?

doublem23
08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm late to the party. What else is new? Extensions for everyone and walking papers for Cooper. Got that meatballs?

:violin:

Perhaps you should, I don't know, wait until something happens before you start crying all over your keyboard?

SI1020
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
:violin:

Perhaps you should, I don't know, wait until something happens before you start crying all over your keyboard? My eyes are dry and this place is therapy for me. Why don't you just ignore me if I'm upsetting you.

TheOldRoman
08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Can he manage?:smile:That is his goal. And while I don't know how good of a manager he would be, I have heard people speculate that his temper and the way he talks to the media would stop teams from taking a second look at him. As for his contract, it's astonishing to me that we are questioning whether Don Cooper will be brought back, while everyone is fully confident that Greg Walker will be the hitting coach next year no matter what. :shakehead:

Soxman219
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I won't be surprised if he goes.

Brian26
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
It would be a real shame to lose Coop. To think of this staff and team without him is scary. What he did with Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Santos and most recently Humber is just amazing.

Also works a lot with kids at his established camps in the suburbs. Hopefully more of an imcentive for him to stick around?

Perhaps he doesn't want to come back. Maybe he's pissed at the organization for not letting him talk to the Yankees last year.

DumpJerry
08-05-2011, 05:21 PM
So much speculation. So little substance......

pearso66
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I read this earlier today too, although I thought it was followed by none of the other coaches are signed for 2012 either. Although I could be wrong.

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I read this earlier today too, although I thought it was followed by none of the other coaches are signed for 2012 either. Although I could be wrong.

Yep.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/heyman-on-nationals-reyes-white-sox-.html

eriqjaffe
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I have heard people speculate that his temper and the way he talks to the media would stop teams from taking a second look at him.:ozzie
"**** that ****, that **** doesn't ****ing matter."

HomeFish
08-05-2011, 05:27 PM
If the Sox get rid of Cooper but not Walker, we all might as well stop following this team.

DumpJerry
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm still trying to find the quote from high up in the organization that says they will sign Walker and not Coop for next year......
:chickenlittle

gobears1987
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
1: We don't even know if Cooper will not be here next year.

2: If he isn't here next year, how do we know it isn't by his own choice?

asindc
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm still trying to find the quote from high up in the organization that says they will sign Walker and not Coop for next year......
:chickenlittle

Maybe I should start a thread entitled, "Sox trade Alex Rios to St. Louis for Pujols."

slavko
08-05-2011, 06:14 PM
One earlier speculation brings another: When LaRussa gets here, he's going to bring Duncan with him. Problem solved.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2011, 06:29 PM
It's going to be an interesting off season that's for sure.

JR could go from literally not changing anything to getting rid of the G.M., field manager and the coaches.

Right now who knows? All I'm hearing is that he's upset the way the season has gone but that doesn't explain why there were no changes earlier in the season.

Maybe he is waiting for October?

Lip

Lamp81
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Can he manage?:smile:

I can only think of 2 managers that were pitching coaches, Ray Miller and Larry Rothschild. Neither one of them had much success.

I am surprised that no one ever offered, former White Sox pitching coach, Dave Duncan a managerial job. As far as I know, he has been with Larussa with the White Sox, Athletics, and Cardinals. Maybe he never desired the job, either.

WSox597
08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
A rumor surfaces every now and again about the Yankees being after Cooper.

I'd sure hate to see that happen. Of all teams...

Hopefully, this will blow over and he'll be re-signed by the White Sox. The others can go away, though. And hurry up about it.

soxinem1
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie took the entire staff with him when he goes to FLA next year.

Lamp81
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie took the entire staff with him when he goes to FLA next year.

Can we give Greg Walker a head start, and send him to Miami now?

guillen4life13
08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I can only think of 2 managers that were pitching coaches, Ray Miller and Larry Rothschild. Neither one of them had much success.

I am surprised that no one ever offered, former White Sox pitching coach, Dave Duncan a managerial job. As far as I know, he has been with Larussa with the White Sox, Athletics, and Cardinals. Maybe he never desired the job, either.

Bud Black

CHISOXFAN13
08-08-2011, 12:15 AM
If Juan Nieves replaces him, I'd be fine with it. Nieves doesn't get any credit for the success of White Sox pitching, but he sure as hell should.

Lamp81
08-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Bud Black

I can't believe I forgot about Black, thanks.

Black .482 winning %
Rothschild .411
Miller .472

Not an impressive showing for former pitching coaches. Can anyone think of any others that became managers?

Nelson Foxtrot
08-09-2011, 02:27 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Black, thanks.

Black .482 winning %
Rothschild .411
Miller .472

Not an impressive showing for former pitching coaches. Can anyone think of any others that became managers?

It looks like there weren't many. Bob Lemon and Roger Craig had successful managing careers. John Farrell is in his first year. George Bamberger had a couple good years with the Brewers. Clyde King was average. Marcel Lachemann and Eddie Lopat didn't have much to work with. Phil Regan underachieved. Joe Kerrigan was really bad.

Ted Lyons did things in reverse, managing the Sox for three years after retiring as a player, then became pitching coach for the Tigers and Dodgers.

As for other pitchers who became managers in the pitching coach era: Tommy Lasorda and Lum Harris were 3rd base coaches, Larry Dierker moved down from the broadcast booth, and Dallas Green worked his way up from scouting/farm director.

Lamp81
08-09-2011, 11:30 PM
It looks like there weren't many. Bob Lemon and Roger Craig had successful managing careers. John Farrell is in his first year. George Bamberger had a couple good years with the Brewers. Clyde King was average. Marcel Lachemann and Eddie Lopat didn't have much to work with. Phil Regan underachieved. Joe Kerrigan was really bad.

Ted Lyons did things in reverse, managing the Sox for three years after retiring as a player, then became pitching coach for the Tigers and Dodgers.

As for other pitchers who became managers in the pitching coach era: Tommy Lasorda and Lum Harris were 3rd base coaches, Larry Dierker moved down from the broadcast booth, and Dallas Green worked his way up from scouting/farm director.

I guess there were more that I remembered. I can't believe I forgot Roger Craig and John Farrell. The others, I didn't know they were pitching coaches. Anyone remember why Bob Lemon was let go as Sox manager in '78? It can't be his fault the team tanked after the '77 season, as a lot of the players left as free agents. He went on to take over the Defending Champion Yankees, and led them to another World Series title in '78.

Lemon - .516 winning %
Farrell - .509
King - .505
Craig - .501
Bamberger - .489
Lachemann - .486
Kerrigan - .395

Lip Man 1
08-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Lemon's situation was complex in that there were a number of factors involved:

1. Steve Stone and Lamar Johnson began second guessing him to the mainstream media and openly wondering about his competency. (Eric Soderholm told me in his WSI Interview about the time for example when the Sox found Lemon actually sleeping in the corner of the dugout during a game...)

2. Veeck was growing impatient and frustrated over how the team was playing in 1978. (Ignoring somewhat his role in putting together that team -- Bobby Bonds trade and then his subsequent trade away from the club in May...)

3. Veeck thought hiring the African-American former Sox player Larry Doby would help attendance.

There was also the reported discussion between Veeck and Lee McPhail, then A.L. President who was acting as a representative for George Steinbrenner about a managerial trade, Lemon for Billy Martin which fell apart because Steinbrenner then patched things up with Martin for a short time before firing him.

Lip

Lamp81
08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks Lip! I knew you'd be able to fill in the blanks about the Lemon dismissal.

I haven't heard that Billy Martin rumor before. I do remember all of the Billy martin replacing Larussa rumors, though.