PDA

View Full Version : Update 8/15: Thome Hits #600! Congrats Big Jim

Chez
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Jim Thome hit #598 last night. I would like to see him get to #600 this weekend against the Sox -- so long as neither home run effects the outcome of the game (Ozzie said as much in the Tribune this morning). Great slugger, even better guy.

tstrike2000
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
He probably will and congrats when he does. Most likely on another Thornton heater in Jimmy's wheelhouse.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Great slugger, even better guy.

Absolutely. I miss the hell out of him.

Brian26
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Jim Thome hit #598 last night. I would like to see him get to #600 this weekend against the Sox -- so long as neither home run effects the outcome of the game (Ozzie said as much in the Tribune this morning). Great slugger, even better guy.

**** Ozzie. Typical Guillen nonsense - go out of his way to compliment someone that he cried like a baby to drive out of town because he couldn't "find enough at bats for him."

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
**** Ozzie. Typical Guillen nonsense - go out of his way to compliment someone that he cried like a baby to drive out of town because he couldn't "find enough at bats for him."

Love your post.

tstrike2000
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Not wanting Thome back in favor of giving someone like Mark Kotsay extended time playing in the field and DH should've been the final indication that we need a different vision at manager.

PaleHoser
08-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I hope he hits #600 this weekend and that he hits it so hard that it lands in Canada.

rockinrobin23
08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
love how Thome does not get near the attention that jeter was getting...i hate the yankees....

Gavin
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Thome is a helluva nice guy. He wasn't great in 2009 but he was probably used pretty poorly, considering OG is still trotting out Adam Dunn at #4 daily and nightly. That said, I hope Thome smashes the **** out of the Sox.

Mod Edit: That's trolling. We don't allow trolling. See you Monday...

Soxman219
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
love how Thome does not get near the attention that jeter was getting...i hate the yankees....

After this week, same here.

TommyJohn
08-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Thome is a helluva nice guy. He wasn't great in 2009 but he was probably used pretty poorly, considering OG is still trotting out Adam Dunn at #4 daily and nightly. That said, I hope Thome smashes the **** out of the Sox.

Sorry, I know Jimbone is a "Aw, shucks" nice gosh golly guy and all, but it takes an especially bitter, bitter fan to say something like this. I never root for anyone to "smash the ****" out of the Sox. I want the Sox to beat the Twins and whiff Thome every time he comes up to the plate. He doesn't play for the Sox anymore, so I don't root for him, especially not against the Sox. But aw, shucks, he sure is a great guy.

asindc
08-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I know Jimbone is a "Aw, shucks" nice gosh golly guy and all, but it takes an especially bitter, bitter fan to say something like this. I never root for anyone to "smash the ****" out of the Sox. I want the Sox to beat the Twins and whiff Thome every time he comes up to the plate. He doesn't play for the Sox anymore, so I don't root for him, especially not against the Sox. But aw, shucks, he sure is a great guy.

Thank you!

I like Thome, but I'm rooting for three 27-0 games in which each of our starters pitch a perfect game and Dunn goes 18-18 for the series.

TomBradley72
08-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Exactly- Ozzie should have been sitting him against most lefties- rotate in Konerko, Quentin on other righties on those nights. Could have led to retaining Thome and avoiding the Kotsay-ManRam-Dunn disaster of epic proportions.

Brian26
08-05-2011, 07:00 PM
I hope he hits #600 this weekend and that he hits it so hard that it lands in Canada.

I hope it goes so far that it reaches orbit, circles the Earth, comes back around to Minneapolis and lands up Ozzie's ass.

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I hope it goes so far that it reaches orbit, circles the Earth, comes back around to Minneapolis and lands up Ozzie's ass.

Seconded.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Post of the week.

Gavin
08-05-2011, 07:59 PM

At this point winning means nothing. If winning meant something, would "the Sox" be letting ****ty Alex Rios play and letting ****ty Adam Dunn hit #4? I want Thome to hit some homers against the Sox because the Sox have done nothing to indicate that they want to win. He's a good guy with a good rep.

It's cute you guys are so vocal about wanting a 27 IP shutout when OG manages like he does. Good luck with that, y'all.

TDog
08-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't want to see Thome hit his 600th home run against the White Sox. I don't want him to hit his 600th home run this year. I don't want anyone on the Twins to hit any more home runs this year.

Brian26
08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't want to see Thome hit his 600th home run against the White Sox. I don't want him to hit his 600th home run this year. I don't want anyone on the Twins to hit any more home runs this year.

What about the games in the last two months of the season when the Twins play DET and CLE?

TDog
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
What about the games in the last two months of the season when the Twins play DET and CLE?

You have a point. Really, I vaguely want the Twins to beat teams in front of the White Sox as long as the Twins are behind the Sox. I don't want to see any Twins succeed. I cheer for the White Sox, and part of cheering for the White Sox is cheering against the Twins.

I certainly don't want to see anyone on the Twins to succeed against the White Sox to punish my team in order to validate my dislike for the manager.

The fact is, Thome hit 200 more home runs for the Indians than he did with the White Sox, and during most of that time, the White Sox were looking up at the Indians and I felt. And Thome has his more home runs per games against the White Sox than he did with the White Sox.

For that matter, I don't cheer against White Sox players to make validate my player analysis. I don't cheer against White Sox players, period. If my brother were batting against Will Ohman, I would be pulling for Will Ohman to strike him out, this season, anyway.

Hitmen77
08-05-2011, 09:29 PM

+1

Not wanting Thome back in favor of giving someone like Mark Kotsay extended time playing in the field and DH should've been the final indication that we need a different vision at manager.

....and yet, Ozzie was rewarded with an extension.

Hitmen77
08-05-2011, 09:31 PM

So, in other words, you want the ball to hit Ozzie in the head?

Chez
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
At this point winning means nothing. If winning meant something, would "the Sox" be letting ****ty Alex Rios play and letting ****ty Adam Dunn hit #4? I want Thome to hit some homers against the Sox because the Sox have done nothing to indicate that they want to win. He's a good guy with a good rep.

It's cute you guys are so vocal about wanting a 27 IP shutout when OG manages like he does. Good luck with that, y'all.

27 IP and only one earned run!

asindc
08-08-2011, 09:53 AM

You were saying?

asindc
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
You have a point. Really, I vaguely want the Twins to beat teams in front of the White Sox as long as the Twins are behind the Sox. I don't want to see any Twins succeed. I cheer for the White Sox, and part of cheering for the White Sox is cheering against the Twins.

I certainly don't want to see anyone on the Twins to succeed against the White Sox to punish my team in order to validate my dislike for the manager.

The fact is, Thome hit 200 more home runs for the Indians than he did with the White Sox, and during most of that time, the White Sox were looking up at the Indians and I felt. And Thome has his more home runs per games against the White Sox than he did with the White Sox.

For that matter, I don't cheer against White Sox players to make validate my player analysis. I don't cheer against White Sox players, period. If my brother were batting against Will Ohman, I would be pulling for Will Ohman to strike him out, this season, anyway.

Ozzpologist.

BainesHOF
08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Thome. I think he's somewhat of a phony. He may be a great guy in front of the media, but I've seen him be less than that away from the cameras when dealing with fans. He's not a bad guy, but a guy like John Danks is much more genuine. That said, 600 home runs is an enormous accomplishment. In this era, I wonder a bit if he's had any chemical help, but I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll always remember his Blackout homer. I still can't believe he hit the ball that far.

gosox3072
08-15-2011, 07:36 PM
599, hope he gets it vs the tigers

cleanwsox
08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
600!

Congrats big Jim!

Sockinchisox
08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Ahhhhhhh! Yay!

Brian26
08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
They got the ball for him too. Congrats Big Jim.

DrCrawdad
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you Mr. Incredible!

peelwonder
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Congrats Big Jim!!!

Gammons Peter
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
nice, way to go Jim

NDSox12
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Jim Thome!

dwitt76
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Way to go Jim:bandance:

RKMeibalane
08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Way to go, Jim!

soxnut1018
08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
The epitome of class.

mccoydp
08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I had the pleasure of watching bombs #599 and #600 on MLB Extra Innings. Congratulations, Jim! Cooperstown awaits!

ChiSoxGal85
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Congrats to Jim! And against Detroit too - thanks, Mr. Incredible!

delben91
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Well done Big Jim! :gulp:

amsteel
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Jim, I'll never forget the HR in the blackout game.

Just for reference since the start of 2010 season Thome has 36 HRs, White Sox DHs have 36. I was honestly not expecting White Sox DHs to have that many.

ElevenUp
08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
One of the all time great gentlemen of the game. Way to go!:gulp:

hi im skot
08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Thome. I think he's somewhat of a phony. He may be a great guy in front of the media, but I've seen him be less than that away from the cameras when dealing with fans. He's not a bad guy, but a guy like John Danks is much more genuine. That said, 600 home runs is an enormous accomplishment. In this era, I wonder a bit if he's had any chemical help, but I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll always remember his Blackout homer. I still can't believe he hit the ball that far.

Not sure what the point of this post is, or what there is to gain by comparing Danks to Thome, other than showing how horribly misguided you are.

I've seen Thome do a ton behind the scenes. He treated my little sister like gold a couple years ago with no cameras or writers in the same zip code.

He also spends a lot of time at the children's hospital in Peoria. He also holds a fundraiser for the children's hospital every winter.

There are a couple of posters here that have had their own experiences with Thome, but I assure you he's far from a "phony."

KMcMahon817
08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Pretty pumped to be able to see that live. Way to Big Jimmy! All the more sweet against the Kittens.

Zakath
08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Good timing too.

Needs 10 more to pass Sosa for 7th all time.

He could do us a favor and get them all in this series vs. the Tigers.

(Man, I feel dirty semi-rooting for the Twins.)

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Good timing too.

Needs 10 more to pass Sosa for 7th all time.

He could do us a favor and get them all in this series vs. the Tigers.

(Man, I feel dirty semi-rooting for the Twins.)

I know, I think for most of us it's just a reflex to want them to lose.

As far as Mr Incredible goes: Congrats Jimmy; you were a good White Sox. I'll always have a soft spot for you big guy.

sodfatherjunior
08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Did Bobby Valentine really just say "It couldn't get much better for him, of course unless it was in a Phillies uniform, where he had so many great memories"..................really??? that might be worse than Harold Reynolds earlier in the night saying "I remember when Thome hit his 500th home run with Minnesota a few years back"

Zakath
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Interesting question:

I'm pretty sure that had that happened vs. the Sox at the Cell, he would have gotten applause, but if that had happened in Cleveland? Does he get booed, like he always does when he goes back there, or do they applaud the accomplishment?

manders_01
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Congratulations Jim! :bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Class man, very good player...congrats to him.

Lip

Brian26
08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Did Bobby Valentine really just say "It couldn't get much better for him, of course unless it was in a Phillies uniform, where he had so many great memories"..................really??? that might be worse than Harold Reynolds earlier in the night saying "I remember when Thome hit his 500th home run with Minnesota a few years back"

I heard that too. That's when Harold said Thome signed a personalized autograph for everyone in the front office, right? Wrong team, Harold.

It came in September of a lost season, but Thome's 500th HR was an amazing event (walkoff on his own bobblehead day). At least we've got that.

The Milkman
08-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Props to the DET fans for treating Jim AND the moment with class. Thankfully, that didn't happen in CLE. Who knows how that would have went, but I'm sure it would have been nothing like what happened in Detroit tonight.

Soxman219
08-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Good for Jim, happy for him.:smile:

CyAcosta41
08-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Congratulations Jim Thome. By all accounts, as classy a gentleman as has ever played the great game of baseball. Glad that we were fortunate enough to have him in White Sox for a few years; still puzzled by the Bizarro World antics that drove him to the dreaded Twinkies.

Nice that #599 and #600 helped the idle Sox pick-up 1/2 game on the Tigers.

And crazy ... a L.H. slugger going yard (even making contact) against a L.H. pitcher. Who would have thunk that was possible?

GlassSox
08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Congratulations big Jim, well deserved and thanks for doing it against Detroit.

PushinWeight
08-15-2011, 10:51 PM
That's awesome for Thome, hope he passes Sosa up before he retires. Im still convinced Sox win the division last year had Kenny picked him back up from the free agent market instead of doing that doomed from the start rotating DH.

gaelhound
08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Hitting his 600th in a game that helps the White Sox. Good for you Jim. I am proud that he wore the uniform and is not a neckless rhoid head.

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
That's awesome for Thome, hope he passes Sosa up before he retires. Im still convinced Sox win the division last year had Kenny picked him back up from the free agent market instead of doing that doomed from the start rotating DH.

I agree. Congrats Jim Thome. You and Griff will always have a special place in my heart.

thomas35forever
08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Congrats to Mr. Incredible. Hope he's as productive as possible for however longer he plays.:)

BainesHOF
08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Not sure what the point of this post is, or what there is to gain by comparing Danks to Thome, other than showing how horribly misguided you are.

I've seen Thome do a ton behind the scenes. He treated my little sister like gold a couple years ago with no cameras or writers in the same zip code.

He also spends a lot of time at the children's hospital in Peoria. He also holds a fundraiser for the children's hospital every winter.

There are a couple of posters here that have had their own experiences with Thome, but I assure you he's far from a "phony."

I'm glad your sister had a great experience and I know he does some good things. All I'm saying is he's not as great as people seem so eager to say he is. I know others have observed the same thing. Now's not the time to get into this. I watched him belt No. 600 live on TV tonight and was happy for him.

Thome's dad has a similar build as his son. That leads one to believe that Thome's done it cleanly.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm glad your sister had a great experience and I know he does some good things. All I'm saying is he's not as great as people seem so eager to say he is. I know others have observed the same thing. Now's not the time to get into this. I watched him belt No. 600 live on TV tonight and was happy for him.

Thome's dad has a similar build as his son. That leads one to believe that Thome's done it cleanly.Then why did you bring it up?

hawkjt
08-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Cool moment for Big Jim. Glad I was watching on MLBNetwork when he hit both. Extra cool that it came in a slugfest vs the division leader,in a win,vs a lefty,Schelreth's kid, with Dad,wife and kids in attendance and helped the Sox move up.

Thome never has given me reason to believe he is anything but what he seems,of course,he is human so maybe he snubbed someone sometime over the last 20 years....good guy in my book. Congrats Big Jim!!

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Congrats to Thome, too bad he couldn't do this with the Sox. Just doesn't seem right with him in a Twins uniform.

Boondock Saint
08-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Thanks Jim, I'll never forget the HR in the blackout game.

Just for reference since the start of 2010 season Thome has 36 HRs, White Sox DHs have 36. I was honestly not expecting White Sox DHs to have that many.

Considering that Thome has only appeared in 171 out of the 282 games the Twins have played since the start of the 2010 season, that says a ton.

Congrats to the big man. Couldn't be happier for him.

Oblong
08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I was at the game and it was very cool. We joked about it before but I didn't think he'd hit 2.

Proud of my fellow Detroiters for recognizing in the heat of the pennant chase that sometimes history takes precedence.

Congratulations Jim.

cbone
08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
I was at the game and it was very cool. We joked about it before but I didn't think he'd hit 2.

Proud of my fellow Detroiters for recognizing in the heat of the pennant chase that sometimes history takes precedence.

Congratulations Jim.

Kudos to the Detroit fans, Congrats big Jim!

Chez
08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Congratulations, Jim. Very happy for you.

g0g0
08-16-2011, 09:09 AM
:tiphat: to a surefire HOF and overall good guy. Glad he'll be able to knock Sosa down a peg in a few weeks.

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Congrats Mr. Incredible. I feel honored to have seen you play on the Sox and to have seen you hit #500.

Kudos to the Tigers fans. :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2011, 09:39 AM

I'll add my congratulations.

It was clear in early 2010 that the smarter move would have been to re-sign Thome, sign Andruw Jones, and dump Kotsay.

#1swisher
08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on #600! :gulp:

Thome4Ever
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
My screen name kind of says it all. I was at the Cell when he hit #500 in 2007, a very fun day for me. And I was at the Blackout game the next year where he was the offense that night. I've been a fan for years, even in his Cleveland and Philly years. I had the pleasure to finally meet him in a hotel bar in Minneapolis last season after the Sox beat the Twins 11-0 at Target (this was 48 hours after he pretty much ended the Sox season with his gigantic blast off Matt Thornton in extra innings). He was very gracious to me and my wife when we went up to him (he was by himself), told him about the above experiences and that we hated him 48 hours earlier and he was just terrific about it all. We wished him luck on getting to 600 (wasn't going to wish him luck on going to the World Series, that I couldn't do) and he was so gracious that my wife was more giddy than I was. I don't have an autograph or photo to document this, but the handshake and memories are enough.

I'm happy to see him make it to #600 and although if he stays with the Twins he won't be getting a ring, he's got to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

QueerGirrl
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Congrats Jim!!! :tiphat:

VenturaFan23
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
It came in September of a lost season, but Thome's 500th HR was an amazing event (walkoff on his own bobblehead day). At least we've got that.

My fiance fell over when the that ball landed in the seats the row right in front of her so that's her/our memory of that. :smile: The next season we got to tell him that personally before a game and then he was playing catch with a sick kid. Such a classy guy.

Congrats, Jim! :gulp:

Hitmen77
08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Congratulations Jim Thome!:gulp:

From when I started following baseball as a kid until recently, there were always only 3 legendary names with 600 HRs or more: Aaron, Ruth, and Mays. Crazy that there are now EIGHT sluggers on that list.

I do hope that Thome has enough HRs in his career to surpass that hot dogging fraud Sammy Sosa. (by the way, IIRC Griffey surpassed Shammy while Junior was a member of the White Sox).

The only player to reach 600 HRs in fewer at bats was Babe Ruth.

I'll add my congratulations.

It was clear in early 2010 that the smarter move would have been to re-sign Thome, sign Andruw Jones, and dump Kotsay.

Yep, we weakened our lineup and boosted the Twins lineup. Big Jim was almost begging to come back here and ended up signing for something like $1M. It sounded pretty boneheaded to me from the get-go and the outcome of the 2010 season was a big vindication for Thome. I wonder who in Sox management was held accountable for such a stupid move?

gobears1987
08-16-2011, 04:33 PM

That wouldn't have saved a season where all of the good arms in the bullpen spent the last month on the DL.

SOXSINCE'70
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Congrats to Thome. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I'm just glad it wasn't against the White Sox.:D:

BainesHOF
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Then why did you bring it up?

I was just riffing on the subject of Thome. I didn't know that a couple hours later he'd be belting 599 and 600.

all*star quentin
08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Awesome accomplishment, Mr. 600

WSox597
08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm glad for him. I always liked him even when he was beating the Sox' brains out with the Indians. Classy guy, it seems.

I had to laugh. I was on Yahoo at lunch today, and an Indian fan said he was glad for Thome, and even more glad it wasn't while wearing a White Sox uniform.

I guess they feel about the same as many of our fans do about their team.

Congrats to Jim!

Brian26
08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's a clip of Thome's 1st career homer. This is interesting for a number of reasons, including the old uniforms and the fact that Yankee Stadium was practically empty.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13799447

Deadguy
08-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Here's a clip of Thome's 1st career homer. This is interesting for a number of reasons, including the old uniforms and the fact that Yankee Stadium was practically empty.

Going back a little further, here's a clip of Jim Thome taking batting practice at ICC (Illinois Central College in East Peoria).

http://www.pjstar.com/video/x1837741640/Jim-Thome-at-ICC-in-1989

He hasn't changed a bit in the past 22 years :D:

Although, given the quality (or lack thereof) of the video, that could be James Woods taking cuts in a batting cage for all we know.

Hitmen77
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM

The '91 Yankees lost 91 games and averaged 23,000/game attendance.

Those days are long, long gone. I doubt we'll see the Yankees or Red Sox far from playoff contention in the foreseeable future.

Hitmen77
08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Some Sox players think Thome didn't get enough recognition for reaching the 600 HR milestone:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-say-thome-deserved-more-recognition-for-600th-home-run-20110816,0,7788730.story?obref=obinsite

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Some Sox players think Thome didn't get enough recognition for reaching the 600 HR milestone:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-say-thome-deserved-more-recognition-for-600th-home-run-20110816,0,7788730.story?obref=obinsiteHe absolutely didn't. It's a MUCH bigger deal than 3000 hits, but where was HBO following him around, filming everything for a special, like they did with Jeter?

DumpJerry
08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
He absolutely didn't. It's a MUCH bigger deal than 3000 hits, but where was HBO following him around, filming everything for a special, like they did with Jeter?
He was not only wearing the wrong uniform this season, he's never worn the correct uniform.

QueerGirrl
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
He was not only wearing the wrong uniform this season, he's never worn the correct uniform.

:nod:

mccoydp
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
He absolutely didn't. It's a MUCH bigger deal than 3000 hits, but where was HBO following him around, filming everything for a special, like they did with Jeter?

:clap:

doublem23
08-19-2011, 10:54 AM

In the historical long-view of baseball yes, that is true, but I'm sure you understand that the public kind of is homered out right now, right? FWIW, since 2000, Jeter is the 5th player to get to 3,000 hits (Ripken, Henderson, Palmeiro, and Biggio). In that same time span, 9 players have reached the 500 HR Club (the previous equivalen of 3,000 hits, IMO) and 5 have reached 600 (Bonds, Sosa, Griffey, A-Rod, and now Thome).

The cloud of steroid use has really hurt these HR images. The 4 of the 5 guys to reach 3,000 hits over the past decade +1 year are model baseball players. 7 of the past 10 members of the 500 HR Club are known steroid users (McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Palmiero, A-Rod, ManRam, Sheffield).

And that's even before you get into the whole "Yankees mystique." Its sad that Thome is getting punished for the sins of those before him.

happydude
08-19-2011, 11:06 AM
In the historical long-view of baseball yes, that is true, but I'm sure you understand that the public kind of is homered out right now, right? FWIW, since 2000, Jeter is the 5th player to get to 3,000 hits (Ripken, Henderson, Palmeiro, and Biggio). In that same time span, 9 players have reached the 500 HR Club (the previous equivalen of 3,000 hits, IMO) and 5 have reached 600 (Bonds, Sosa, Griffey, A-Rod, and now Thome).

The cloud of steroid use has really hurt these HR images. The 4 of the 5 guys to reach 3,000 hits over the past decade +1 year are model baseball players. 7 of the past 10 members of the 500 HR Club are known steroid users (McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Palmiero, A-Rod, ManRam, Sheffield).

And that's even before you get into the whole "Yankees mystique." Its sad that Thome is getting punished for the sins of those before him.

Good post; I concur wholeheartedly. Though the public has shown its not as up in arms over the use of PED's as the national media seems to believe it should be, no one likes to be played for a fool on a continual basis. The breathless excitement over HR milestones may be gone for many, many years. Personally, I had forgotten that Alex had joined the 600 Club and there was a time I could recite the top 10 guys and their totals without batting an eye.

Oblong
08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
. Personally, I had forgotten that Alex had joined the 600 Club and there was a time I could recite the top 10 guys and their totals without batting an eye.

Funny you say that. At the game on Monday after Thome hit 599 my friend and I were talking about the 600 club. We had Bonds, Aaron, Mays, Ruth, and Sosa. Then we started wondering about Frank Robinson. Wasn't sure if ARod's recent hoopla was over 500 or 600.... totally forgot about Griffey.

So I think the analysis above about the lack of attention to Thome is spot on. It's not personal.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Good post; I concur wholeheartedly. Though the public has shown its not as up in arms over the use of PED's as the national media seems to believe it should be, no one likes to be played for a fool on a continual basis. The breathless excitement over HR milestones may be gone for many, many years. Personally, I had forgotten that Alex had joined the 600 Club and there was a time I could recite the top 10 guys and their totals without batting an eye.

Funny you say that. At the game on Monday after Thome hit 599 my friend and I were talking about the 600 club. We had Bonds, Aaron, Mays, Ruth, and Sosa. Then we started wondering about Frank Robinson. Wasn't sure if ARod's recent hoopla was over 500 or 600.... totally forgot about Griffey.

So I think the analysis above about the lack of attention to Thome is spot on. It's not personal.All good points, but I'm still convinced that had Thome been a Yankee, Red Sox, Cub, or Dodger, it would have been wall-to-wall coverage.

Oblong
08-19-2011, 02:18 PM
All good points, but I'm still convinced that had Thome been a Yankee, Red Sox, Cub, or Dodger, it would have been wall-to-wall coverage.

That's a fair point.... I also think the fact he's played for 5 teams could have dented the coverage. If he were with 1 the whole time it could have been a bigger story. He identifies as an Indian but that was almost 10 years ago, and don't they boo him there? Since then 3 years with Phi, 3 1/2 with CHW, cup of coffee with the Dodgers, and now 2 with the Twins.

I don't think the uniform matters as much as it is that he identify with a team in general. If he had stayed in Chicago I even think it would have been a bigger deal as it would have been his 6th year in his home state. That's a nice story to go along with his general nice guy persona, which did get a lot of play when the story did get covered.

happydude
08-19-2011, 03:02 PM
All good points, but I'm still convinced that had Thome been a Yankee, Red Sox, Cub, or Dodger, it would have been wall-to-wall coverage.

That's a fair point.... I also think the fact he's played for 5 teams could have dented the coverage. If he were with 1 the whole time it could have been a bigger story. He identifies as an Indian but that was almost 10 years ago, and don't they boo him there? Since then 3 years with Phi, 3 1/2 with CHW, cup of coffee with the Dodgers, and now 2 with the Twins.

I don't think the uniform matters as much as it is that he identify with a team in general. If he had stayed in Chicago I even think it would have been a bigger deal as it would have been his 6th year in his home state. That's a nice story to go along with his general nice guy persona, which did get a lot of play when the story did get covered.

I'll certainly agree with you, Nellie, that his current market affected the coverage in some way. Oblong is also onto something with his recitation of Jim's lack of identity, not only with a major market, but ANY market. Additionally, Jim lacks some of the gloss that usually accompanies such an accomplished career. He's never won an MVP, is not a perennial All Star, and has never really been considered a "star" like the other guys atop the HR list. He's had a career of quiet excellence; the type that's usually only glorified following induction into the Hall of Fame.

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Does anyone remember his 3 home run game against the Sox in 1994? I do.The Sox went to Jacobs field for a 4 game set (which they split, winning both the first and last games of the series).After halting El Presidente's win streak in game one, they lost a 9-8 slugfest in game 2.Thome hit solo home runs in his 1st,2nd and third at bats.They were all bomobs to right fiels,IIRC.His fourth time up, he settled for a double to right, barely missing home run # 4.

It's been 17 years, and I still remember this.

CHISOXFAN13
08-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Does anyone remember his 3 home run game against the Sox in 1994? I do.The Sox went to Jacobs field for a 4 game set (which they split, winning both the first and last games of the series).After halting El Presidente's win streak in game one, they lost a 9-8 slugfest in game 2.Thome hit solo home runs in his 1st,2nd and third at bats.They were all bomobs to right fiels,IIRC.His fourth time up, he settled for a double to right, barely missing home run # 4.

It's been 17 years, and I still remember this.

Remember it well. Went to the opening game in that series and then to Detroit the next night. It was my first of many baseball trips.

DSpivack
08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/08/17/11/Thomes-success-unconventional/landing_twins.html?blockID=549852