PDA

View Full Version : NY POST - NYY-Boston shows it is time for playoff change

Fenway
08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/series_shows_need_for_playoff_change_nCg95prjkhI0m mKULearvL

The NY press has been saying Selig wants an extra wild card and then they play each other in a ONE game playoff.

The LDS would be reduced to a FIVE game series.

Oblong
08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Seems like post season changes discussions occur on every MB every few months.

I don't mind an extra WC if it means that the two WC play each other to decide who gets to play a division winner in a series. Yes it does stink for the team with the better record to be reduced to one game but if you don't like it, then win the division. I like the idea of making winning the division important.

I'd be surprised though if MLB did something that would decrease the chances of Boston or NYY not going further in the playoffs.

asindc
08-05-2011, 09:49 AM
This would be like spraying perfume on a pile of feces.

Fenway
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Sure there is hype over this series as the 2 teams have not met in almost 3 months....but it means little as both teams will play in October.

1978 was insane to live through - and then a one game playoff

shTqUztrAd0

Noir
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Fens, I've had this idea for a while. 10 teams in the playoffs do not simply add up. I propose a 12 team system not unlike the NFL AND it can be done in under a month.

1. Top 2 division winners earn automatic trip to LDS
2. #3 (Div. winner with worst record) and #4 seeds host Wild Card Round games.
3. Same-division rule thrown out.
4. #1 seed cannot play #3 in LDS
5. #2 seed cannot play #6 in LDS

Schedule is as follows (assuming 2012 calendar is followed)
10/1 Wild Card Round (4 games played at 12:05, 3:05, 6:05, and 9:05)

LDS has 2-2-1 Format
10/2-3 LDS Games 1-2
10/5-7 LDS Games 3-5

LCS has 2-2-1-1-1 Format
10/9-10 LCS Games 1-2
10/12-13 LCS Games 3-4
10/15-17 LCS Games 5-7

World Series has 2-3-2 format
10/19-21 WS Games 1-2
10/23-25 WS Games 3-5
10/27-29 WS Games 6-7

Off Days: 10/4, 10/8, 10/11, 10/14, 10/18, 10/22, 10/26

Gavin
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Fens, I've had this idea for a while. 10 teams in the playoffs do not simply add up. I propose a 12 team system not unlike the NFL AND it can be done in under a month.

1. Top 2 division winners earn automatic trip to LDS
2. #3 (Div. winner with worst record) and #4 seeds host Wild Card Round games.
3. Same-division rule thrown out.
4. #1 seed cannot play #3 in LDS
5. #2 seed cannot play #6 in LDS

Schedule is as follows (assuming 2012 calendar is followed)
10/1 Wild Card Round (4 games played at 12:05, 3:05, 6:05, and 9:05)

LDS has 2-2-1 Format
10/2-3 LDS Games 1-2
10/4-6 LDS Games 3-5

LCS has 2-2-1-1-1 Format
10/8-9 LCS Games 1-2
10/11-12 LCS Games 3-4
10/14-16 LCS Games 5-7

World Series has 2-3-2 format
10/18-19 WS Games 1-2
10/21-23 WS Games 3-5
10/25-27 WS Games 6-7

Off Days: 10/5, 10/7, 10/10, 10/13, 10/17, 10/20, 10/24

What's the point of divisions if you could be facing a one-game playoff when you "win" your division?

Noir
08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
What's the point of divisions if you could be facing a one-game playoff when you "win" your division?

Gives incentive to get that first round bye. the #3 seed is a sort of penalty for teams who don't take things seriously the last 2-3 weeks of the season even if their division is wrapped up.

TheOldRoman
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
The solution is to set a cap just below Boston's payroll and debilitate both teams, but that won't happen. Selig's desire to add playoff teams isn't to increase the chances the Yankees or Red Cubs get tossed early, it is to create one more spot for them. Bud was upset when those pesky Rays ruined the Yankee/Red Sox playoff orgasm in 2008 and 2010. Even if the Rays stay at the top, expanding to five teams would come close to ensuring Boston and NY make it in every year. That is ALL this is about.

Want to penalize a wild card? No home games for them. Done.

Fenway
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
This shows you just how much in love FOX is with Bos-NYY

Giants-Philly deserves better

New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox, Joe Buck, Tim McCarver & Ken Rosenthal, going to 81% of USA
Fenway Park Boston, MA
MARKETS INCLUDE: Albuquerque, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Dayton, Denver, Detroit, Fort Myers, Greensboro, Hartford, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Portland, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Tulsa, Washington, West Palm Beach
Probable Pitchers: CC Sabathia, LHP (16-5, 2.55 ERA) vs. John Lackey, RHP (9-8, 6.23 ERA)

Philadelphia Phillies at San Francisco Giants, Kenny Albert & Eric Karros, going to 18% of USA
AT&T Park San Francisco, CA
MARKETS INCLUDE: Atlanta, Birmingham, Greenville, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, San Francisco
Probable Pitchers: Cole Hamels, LHP (12-6, 2.62 ERA) vs. Matt Cain, RHP (9-7, 3.10 ERA)

sox1970
08-06-2011, 10:55 AM
If they add another team with an opportunity to make the playoffs, then they have to eliminate divisions too.

Move a team to the AL, for a 15-15 split.

Play 10 teams 11 games and 4 teams 10 games + 12 interleague games. That's as close to balanced as they can do it with the 15/15 split and 162 games. If they want to go down to 156, I'd prefer that. But that seems unlikely.

Top 3 make the playoffs, and treated like division winners.

4th and 5th best teams play a best-of-3 to move on to the playoffs.

It would make no sense to have two high 90's-win teams playing hard to the end to avoid a play-in series, when both are clearly better than the other two division winners. Plus the possibility that the other wildcard team has clinched early, and can set their rotation up for a play-in series when they aren't as good as the other wildcard team still trying to win their arbitrary division.

I'm tired of hearing about weak divisions every year. Eliminate them, play a balanced schedule, and seed the top 5 in the right order. Yes, the focus will be on the 3-seed and 5-seed every year, but they're lucky to have two or three good races out six every year now.

It would also free the Rays, Orioles, and Blue Jays from the AL East. An AL team would be an AL team. And an NL team would be an NL team. Economically, teams still wouldn't be even, but at least the schedule would be.

manders_01
08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
This shows you just how much in love FOX is with Bos-NYY

Giants-Philly deserves better

New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox, Joe Buck, Tim McCarver & Ken Rosenthal, going to 81% of USA
Fenway Park Boston, MA
MARKETS INCLUDE: Albuquerque, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Dayton, Denver, Detroit, Fort Myers, Greensboro, Hartford, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Portland, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Tulsa, Washington, West Palm Beach
Probable Pitchers: CC Sabathia, LHP (16-5, 2.55 ERA) vs. John Lackey, RHP (9-8, 6.23 ERA)

Philadelphia Phillies at San Francisco Giants, Kenny Albert & Eric Karros, going to 18% of USA
AT&T Park San Francisco, CA
MARKETS INCLUDE: Atlanta, Birmingham, Greenville, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, San Francisco
Probable Pitchers: Cole Hamels, LHP (12-6, 2.62 ERA) vs. Matt Cain, RHP (9-7, 3.10 ERA)

That is absolutely ****ing ridiculous! :rolleyes: Now don't get me wrong, I get pissed when I have to watch an NL West team on FOX instead of getting the Sox. But I understand that I live in a market that has a team in the NL West! Every city that has a team in the NL West or East should be getting the Phils-Giants game.

TDog
08-06-2011, 01:51 PM
How about not have a wild card, keep the Yankees and Red Sox in the same division and only one gets to the postseason.

MarySwiss
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
That is absolutely ****ing ridiculous! :rolleyes: Now don't get me wrong, I get pissed when I have to watch an NL West team on FOX instead of getting the Sox. But I understand that I live in a market that has a team in the NL West! Every city that has a team in the NL West or East should be getting the Phils-Giants game.
First thing I thought of too, Manders. How does Phoenix get the Phils/Giants and Denver gets Yankees/Red Sawx? Insane.

BTW, we're getting the Sox game here today, but I just read the lineup and saw that Quentin's out and Rios is back in, so there's no way I'm watching it. Not good for my blood pressure. :angry:

CLUBHOUSE KID
08-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I like the MLB format, please leave it alone.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Sure there is hype over this series as the 2 teams have not met in almost 3 months....but it means little as both teams will play in October.

1978 was insane to live through - and then a one game playoff

shTqUztrAd0

I was too busy cursing the fact that Dent and Gossage were farm hands Bill Veeck traded away.:angry:

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I was too busy cursing the fact that Dent and Gossage were farm hands Bill Veeck traded away.:angry:

That Dent trade was pretty good, we got Oscar Gamble who was a big part of the '77 Hitmen and Lamar Hoyt who won the Cy Young Award in 1983. Goosage was traded because there was no way he was going to re-sign with us.

hawkjt
08-07-2011, 08:19 AM
First thing I thought of too, Manders. How does Phoenix get the Phils/Giants and Denver gets Yankees/Red Sawx? Insane.

BTW, we're getting the Sox game here today, but I just read the lineup and saw that Quentin's out and Rios is back in, so there's no way I'm watching it. Not good for my blood pressure. :angry:

This is why baseball is a great game. You missed Zack Stewarts first big league win,and Rios going 3 for 5. Don't blink,or you might miss something good!

Fenway
08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
A one game play in for the two wild cards would have one undesirable factor for MLB. Both NYY and Boston would spend even more in payroll to try to pickup the division.

There will never be a hard cap in baseball and no sharing of local broadcast revenue either.

Nothing will change unless the FCC allows al-la-carte cable pricing. IF that happens every major sport except the NFL will be in big trouble. Disney's greed over what they charge cable companies will force the issue as millions are fed up with paying for channels they never watch.

SOXSINCE'70
08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
That Dent trade was pretty good, we got Oscar Gamble who was a big part of the '77 Hitmen and Lamar Hoyt who won the Cy Young Award in 1983. Goosage was traded because there was no way he was going to re-sign with us.

Nevertheless, it was still depressing in 1978.
It's too bad they BOTH couldn't lose.:D:

Fenway
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Press release from ESPN says it all ...expect MORE Red Sox-NYY games

Red Sox/Yankees on Sunday Night Baseball: ESPN’s Most-Viewed MLB Game Since 2007

ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball on Aug. 7 – when the Boston Red Sox defeated the New York Yankees 3-2 in 10 innings – averaged 4,722,000 viewers and 3,460,000 households to become the most-viewed MLB telecast on ESPN since June 3, 2007 (Red Sox/Yankees – 5,304,000 viewers; 3,985,000 household impressions), according to Nielsen. ESPN’s Red Sox/Yankees telecast generated the largest national audience of the weekend’s three-game series for the rivalry (broadcast or cable).
Additionally, the telecast’s 3.5 rating tied Yankees/Red Sox on Aug. 9, 2009, as the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN since 2007 (4.2 rating for Yankees/Red Sox on June 3 and April 22). Sunday’s telecast averaged a 17.0 metered market rating in Boston and an 8.6 rating in New York.

Year-to-Date
Overall, ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball is averaging 2,534,000 viewers this season, an increase of nine percent season-to-date over last season (2,321,000). The corresponding 1,892,000 households are up seven percent over 1,768,000 last season and the 1.9 rating this year is up six percent compared to a 1.8 rating in 2010.

and MLB sent this out

The clash between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox for first place in the American League East generated strong viewership numbers for FOX, ESPN and MLB Network this week.
Saturday’s FOX broadcast was the most watched non-prime regular season MLB telecast on the Network in more than three years with 4.10 million average viewers. Most of the country saw Yankees vs. Red Sox while parts of the country watched last year’s NLCS participants, Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants, square off. The last FOX non-prime regular season telecast to record higher numbers featured Boston and New York and the Cubs vs. St. Louis on July 5, 2008. For the season to date, FOX Saturday Baseball is averaging 2.97 million viewers, which is +5% versus last year’s 2.83 million viewers after 19 weeks.
ESPN’s Sunday night telecast of the Red Sox vs. Yankees was the most watched ESPN baseball game in more than four years with 4.72 million average viewers. The last time ESPN attracted a larger audience for baseball was for the Yankees vs. Red Sox on June 3, 2007 with 5.30 million average viewers. For the season, ESPN’s nationally exclusive telecasts are averaging 2.53 million viewers, which is +9% versus last year’s 2.32 million viewers after 19 weeks.
MLB Network’s Friday night telecast of the first game of the Yankees at Red Sox series was the network’s highest-rated game of 2011, averaging 563,000 viewers, second only to MLB Network’s telecast of Stephen Strasburg’s MLB debut in 2010 as its most-watched game ever. The telecast helped deliver MLB Network’s highest primetime audience ever and a 25th consecutive week of viewership growth since pitchers and catchers reported. The Yankees at Red Sox telecast on MLB Network was blacked out in the Boston and New York home television territories.

Noir
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
A one game play in for the two wild cards would have one undesirable factor for MLB. Both NYY and Boston would spend even more in payroll to try to pickup the division.

There will never be a hard cap in baseball and no sharing of local broadcast revenue either.

Nothing will change unless the FCC allows al-la-carte cable pricing. IF that happens every major sport except the NFL will be in big trouble. Disney's greed over what they charge cable companies will force the issue as millions are fed up with paying for channels they never watch.\

Fens, let them spend all they want, the system i proposed makes the possibility of an NYY-Boston ALCS damn near impossible unless they play their cards right.

shes
08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
All a one-game wild card round does is cheapen the regular season that much more and make the playoffs even more luck-driven.

I'm all for adding an extra round of play and going to a 12-team system, but the first round needs to be at least 5 games. Shorten the regular season by 8 games and suddenly you've got the time to do it.

Also, you can keep the divisions if you like, but make the seeding based solely on record. If the Yankees and Red Sox have the top 2 records in baseball, then they would deserve to have the top 2 seeds, for example.

I would personally get rid of divisions altogether.