PDA

View Full Version : Sox Hitters did not take take a walk ONCE in the 4 game series with the Yanks!

soxfandy
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Just heard on Baseball tonight that the Yankees are the third team in the modern era to complete a 4 game sweep without issuing a walk.

This is really hard to believe with the pitchers they threw at us.

On second thought, when you look at our OBP's it really isn't all that difficult to believe.

Hard to score runs when nobody is on base!!!

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Talked about by many in the post-game thread. And yes, it's quite ridiculous.

Marqhead
08-05-2011, 12:30 AM
They want this season to be done just as quick as we do.

soxfandy
08-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Talked about by many in the post-game thread. And yes, it's quite ridiculous.

Sorry. I tend to stay away from the gameday and post gaame threads these days!

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry. I tend to stay away from the gameday and post gaame threads these days!

It's okay. It actually might warrant its own thread. It's pretty mind-boggling.

soxfandy
08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
It's okay. It actually might warrant its own thread. It's pretty mind-boggling.

I really had to make sure I heard it right. You literally could go up there and tell the pitcher you arent going to swing at anything and probably walk 5-10 times in a 4 game series.

DirtySox
08-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I really had to make sure I heard it right. You literally could go up there and tell the pitcher you arent going to swing at anything and probably walk 5-10 times in a 4 game series.

I distinctly remember Alexei last night striking out in an at bat where 5 balls were thrown. They weren't remotely close either.

Hitmen77
08-05-2011, 12:39 AM
It's a good thing for Greg Walker that he has no accountability for this mess.

Same with Ozzie.

soxfandy
08-05-2011, 12:40 AM
It's a good thing for Greg Walker that he has no accountability for this mess.

Same with Ozzie.

Agreed. Every night I go to bed hoping to wake up to news of somebody losing their job or a certain center fielder being cut.

I guess I can dream right?

Noneck
08-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Agreed. Every night I go to bed hoping to wake up to news of somebody losing their job or a certain center fielder being cut.

This isnt the real world where when someone loses their job and then tries to live on 300 bucks a week unemployment. If these guys lose their jobs, they sit on their ass and collect their salary and dont have to do beans.

DSpivack
08-05-2011, 02:14 AM
This isnt the real world where when someone loses their job and then tries to live on 300 bucks a week unemployment. If these guys lose their jobs, they sit on their ass and collect their salary and dont have to do beans.

While there is a short-term truth in that, you would think that with a baseball team, in the long-run performance matters (especially with notoriously fickle White Sox fans) and puts butts in seats, leading to more revenue. Yet the White Sox seem to escape such common sense and logic.

VenturaFan23
08-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Walkerball, it's an attitude!

C-Dawg
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm certain I could have struck out some Sox this season.

I've had this complaint for years. Watch the pitch-count board at USCF - how many times have you seen the Sox pitcher at, say, 50 pitches while the other team's is at 30? Someone's taking a few pitches, fouling off a few... and it ain't the Sox!

Scottiehaswheels
08-05-2011, 07:36 AM
This isnt the real world where when someone loses their job and then tries to live on 300 bucks a week unemployment. If these guys lose their jobs, they sit on their ass and collect their salary and dont have to do beans.Sorry, was this before or after they lose their jobs. I can't really determine the difference. :tongue::angry:

DumpJerry
08-05-2011, 07:36 AM
This is an unfair factoid to use against the Sox.

Tuesday's game was not a full nine innings.

aryzner
08-05-2011, 08:27 AM
I didn't hear this until reading this thread.

Wow.

That's extremely ****ing piss-poor. And those words aren't even bad enough to describe how bad this is.

Bucky F. Dent
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
If you don't fire Walker after that performance, he must have pix of Reinsdorf with a farm animal.

A. Cavatica
08-05-2011, 08:48 AM
If you don't fire Walker after that performance, he must have pix of Reinsdorf with a farm animal.

Ozzie's an ass. Does he count?

VenturaFan23
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
We should be due for another excuse-laden article from Walker soon after this series.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Ozzie's an ass. Does he count?

:roflmao:

Best. Post. Ever.

TomBradley72
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow.

This season is shaping up as worse than 2007- at least in 2007 we had Jenks's shutout inning streak and Thome's 500th homer.

This year we have a $14M DH hitting hitting worse than Billy Bergen and this historic accomplishment- I wonder when the last time this happened?

I'm ready to clean house- but this is a team of veterans- Pierre, Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Konerko, AJ, Vizquel not drawing walks is not the fault of a hitting coach- it's their own lack of discipline or giving a ****.

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm ready to clean house- but this is a team of veterans- Pierre, Rios, Quentin, Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Konerko, AJ, Vizquel not drawing walks is not the fault of a hitting coach- it's their own lack of discipline or giving a ****.

I agree that they carry majority of the fault but isn't it the job of the hitting coach to work on their plate discipline? Isn't it the job of the manager to bench those players that don't give a ****?

beasly213
08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I agree that they carry majority of the fault but isn't it the job of the hitting coach to work on their plate discipline? Isn't it the job of the manager to bench those players that don't give a ****?

You can't bench the whole team...

TheOldRoman
08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I remember a quote from Walker (early 2008, in an attempt to throw Swisher under the bus) where he basically said he doesn't like his guys taking walks. "I think too often guys go up there looking to walk. I don't want them to walk, I want them to get a hit. Walks don't help your team" (paraphrased). Yep, walks are terrible, Greg. Your fingerprints are all over this trash.

palehozenychicty
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I remember a quote from Walker (early 2008, in an attempt to throw Swisher under the bus) where he basically said he doesn't like his guys taking walks. "I think too often guys go up there looking to walk. I don't want them to walk, I want them to get a hit. Walks don't help your team" (paraphrased). Yep, walks are terrible, Greg. Your fingerprints are all over this trash.

This attitude only works when you have a team like the Angels who can make contact in game situations. Our team isn't capable of that. We should be taking more pitches and mashing with our launching pad of a park. Nothing makes sense with this franchise. No plan whatsoever. Everything is just thrown up in the air like confetti until it sticks.

BigKlu59
08-05-2011, 10:29 AM

This is what I've thought all along.... Pretty ****ing depressing series..

BK59

24thStFan
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Evidence that this has been a problem for a long time. And yet, no changes are made...unbelievable:angry:

Jerko
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM

According to Ozzie, the MLB level isn't "to teach".

RKMeibalane
08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

I guess Frank Thomas wasn't helping the team then, as he was amongst the league leaders in walks his entire career. He even led the Sox in walks for the majority of one season (2004) despite missing the final two-and-a-half months, until Konerko finally overtook him.

tstrike2000
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I guess Frank Thomas wasn't helping the team then, as he was amongst the league leaders in walks his entire career. He even led the Sox in walks for the majority of one season (2004) despite missing the final two-and-a-half months, until Konerko finally overtook him.

Big Hurt is also the first guy I thought of. Perhaps the greatest hitter in Sox history who traditionally walked and scored a lot of runs for someone who wasn't a speed guy.

asindc
08-05-2011, 12:29 PM

I posted this in another thread recently: The difference between guys like Dunn and Swisher versus Frank and Thome is that the latter players don't play for the walk, they were/are just very good at taking/fouling off pitches (even strikes) that they didn't like to eventually make the pitcher throw them their pitch. When that happened, they were ready to crush it. Dunn and Swisher are hitters that will let their pitches go by in an active attempt to draw a walk. In other words, Frank and Thome played for the hit, but Dunn and Swisher too often play for the walk even when fat pitches are thrown to them.