PDA

View Full Version : Morel...where's the pop

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I expected more from this guy with the power numbers. Has been pretty good with the glove but I don't know if he is the answer at 3B for the future.
We aren't talking about Albie Pearson here, Morel is 6'2'' and weighs 220 lbs and he has 1 lousy homer and 18 RBIs.

blandman
08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
I expected more from this guy with the power numbers. Has been pretty good with the glove but I don't know if he is the answer at 3B for the future.
We aren't talking about Albie Pearson here, Morel is 6'2'' and weighs 220 lbs and he has 1 lousy homer and 18 RBIs.

He never had a ton of pop and had horrible patience in the minors. Anyone who expected him to be anything but a late inning defensive replacement was completely out of line.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2011, 06:59 PM
He never had a ton of pop and had horrible patience in the minors. Anyone who expected him to be anything but a late inning defensive replacement was completely out of line.

Out of line? That's kind of harsh.

russ99
08-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I think we need to be patient with Morel, akin to how long it took Crede to develop.

DirtySox
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Out of line? That's kind of harsh.

Indeed. It's pure hyperbole. His ceiling is a suitable regular. Power has indeed never been a big part of his game though

Milw
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I think we need to be patient with Morel, akin to how long it took Crede to develop.
The difference is that Crede's offense was always touted in addition to his glove. In fact, IIRC (and I admit I'm not 100% sure on my recollection here), I believe Crede's offense was actually thought to be better than his defense when he was just coming up. So yeah, while Young Morel very much reminds of Young Crede, I don't believe the expectations align so much.

Daver
08-04-2011, 08:09 PM

He doesn't have the timing to hit for much power, size really has little to do with it, it's all about where you make contact with the ball. Von Joshua was very good at developing timing with young hitters, I wish the White Sox would bring him back to work with the minor league hitters.

doublem23
08-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Crede was also a superstar in the minors

balke
08-04-2011, 09:54 PM

2 homers shy of a triple crown in single A. Completely different players. Morel's defense is very good - could develop to Crede good.

I would have faith that he could develop power or timing for power if he hit the ball more - but his average isn't good either. I think there's a lot better options out there and the Sox are kinda wasting their time developing him if they have no offense otherwise.

I was debating in my head the other day if the Sox would be better off with Josh Fields still around. .230 with 15 homeruns and average defense - or great defense with 17 RBI and no power.

doublem23
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I was debating in my head the other day if the Sox would be better off with Josh Fields still around. .230 with 15 homeruns and average defense - or great defense with 17 RBI and no power.

I think its pretty safe to say is Fields was still here he'd be hitting .190 with 1 HR

balke
08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I think its pretty safe to say is Fields was still here he'd be hitting .190 with 1 HR

Could be. But if you look back he had the same amount of at-bats his 2009 as Morel has now (240). Morel has 18 RBI and 1 HR - Fields had 30 RBI and 7 HRs at this point.

I guess it doesn't really matter because they both suck hard. Would much rather have a free agent 3Bman who can hit than a power-only lefty DH. I know it's not that easy - but I really hate this Dunn fiasco and thought it should've been avoided completely after Thome and Swisher who were similar hitters weren't the answer for the Sox already.

Brian26
08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
He doesn't have the timing to hit for much power, size really has little to do with it, it's all about where you make contact with the ball. Von Joshua was very good at developing timing with young hitters, I wish the White Sox would bring him back to work with the minor league hitters.

If they ever clean house, I'd like to see him working with the major leaguers.

Brian26
08-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Correct. Southern League MVP. He was all offense and became a great defensive third baseman.

Crooked Number
08-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I remember having a good chat about Morel before the season started with a Sox buddy. We both agreed that the potent offense the Sox aquired for 2011 would allow Morel to hit 8th or 9th, basically hiding him down there and whatever output you got would be a bonus. .230 to .260 was the idea, mostly in there to play good defense.

The theory was sound, and he is doing exactly as predicted. The problem is of course the historic awfulness of the rest of the lineup this season. Can't hide 7 guys.

blandman
08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Not hyperbole, always my contention. And the warnings of many scouts too, who pointed at his non-existent plate discipline as a warning sign. Nothing about his time in the minors points to him every being able to handle major league pitching. The entire argument for him being able to hit was based solely on one hot month of major league action where he wasn't even that good.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Well remember what Daver has said a lot over the years, the Sox move guys up based simply on if they can hit without regard to the other areas of the game.

Maybe Morel fooled them?

Lip

blandman
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Well remember what Daver has said a lot over the years, the Sox move guys up based simply on if they can hit without regard to the other areas of the game.

Maybe Morel fooled them?

Lip

That's exactly what happened, he put up okay numbers but the periphery stuff (no discipline, high non-contact percentage) all pointed to him not being able to make the jump.

Marqhead
08-04-2011, 11:38 PM
That's exactly what happened, he put up okay numbers but the periphery stuff (no discipline, high non-contact percentage) all pointed to him not being able to make the jump.

But who were the other options at 3rd? Teahen was clearly on his way out and Vizquel is a couple hundred years old. He was promoted because of his glove and any sort of offense was a bonus.

blandman
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
But who were the other options at 3rd? Teahen was clearly on his way out and Vizquel is a couple hundred years old. He was promoted because of his glove and any sort of offense was a bonus.

That's just as dumb as promoting someone who hits but is amongst the worst defenders in the league on the off chance he might run into some balls on the field.

BigHurt3515
08-05-2011, 12:03 AM
2 homers shy of a triple crown in single A. Completely different players. Morel's defense is very good - could develop to Crede good.

I would have faith that he could develop power or timing for power if he hit the ball more - but his average isn't good either. I think there's a lot better options out there and the Sox are kinda wasting their time developing him if they have no offense otherwise.

I miss healthy Crede

Marqhead
08-05-2011, 12:10 AM
That's just as dumb as promoting someone who hits but is amongst the worst defenders in the league on the off chance he might run into some balls on the field.

I don't disagree, but who were the other legit options? Teahen/Vizquel platoon all year?

blandman
08-05-2011, 06:35 AM
I don't disagree, but who were the other legit options? Teahen/Vizquel platoon all year?

I'm not sure a full year of Vizquel wasn't the answer.

DumpJerry
08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Size isn't everything. If it was, Alexei would never get a ball past the Pitcher's Mound.

wassagstdu
08-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Pesky little line drive hitter. Why can't he learn to pull and swing from the heels?
Did the thread starter forget the teal?

balke
08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Pesky little line drive hitter. Why can't he learn to pull and swing from the heels?
Did the thread starter forget the teal?

He's not really a line drive hitter either. He just hits it to the third baseman repeatedly.

blandman
08-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Size isn't everything. If it was, Alexei would never get a ball past the Pitcher's Mound.

No kidding. I'm taller than Morel. Does that mean I'd have at least 2 homers?

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I miss healthy Crede

One of my favorite Sox players ever!
Captain Clutch!

kaufsox
08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
In Charlotte