PDA

View Full Version : Rays attendance

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I've been paying attention to the Rays attendance this year and they draw much better for day games than they do for night games. The Jays are in town this week and it was 13,000 for Tues night, 11,000 for last night and today 28,000 showed up. This has happened quite often this year and my hunch is that a lot of senior citizens attend these games that live within a few hours away. I know my community has a bus trip over to TB once a month and they are always day games. There are tons of senior citizen communities in Florida and maybe the Rays should consider more day games at the Trop.
The Sox seem to do quite well in weekday day games also. When I was up in Chicago last week we took in the Wednesday matinee and then had dinner in Greek Town, it was a perfect day with 27,000 at the park and maybe the Sox should also consider more day games. I also think the Sox would get a lot more out of town summer visitors since of the mis-conception of the Cell being in a bad area and maybe not wanting to venture out at night.

Fenway
08-04-2011, 05:30 PM
The only problem is the visiting team then complains about losing an evening TV date.

I've been paying attention to the Rays attendance this year and they draw much better for day games than they do for night games. The Jays are in town this week and it was 13,000 for Tues night, 11,000 for last night and today 28,000 showed up. This has happened quite often this year and my hunch is that a lot of senior citizens attend these games that live within a few hours away. I know my community has a bus trip over to TB once a month and they are always day games. There are tons of senior citizen communities in Florida and maybe the Rays should consider more day games at the Trop.
The Sox seem to do quite well in weekday day games also. When I was up in Chicago last week we took in the Wednesday matinee and then had dinner in Greek Town, it was a perfect day with 27,000 at the park and maybe the Sox should also consider more day games. I also think the Sox would get a lot more out of town summer visitors since of the mis-conception of the Cell being in a bad area and maybe not wanting to venture out at night.

LITTLE NELL
08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
The only problem is the visiting team then complains about losing an evening TV date.

What? The Yankees and Red Sox aren't making enough $$$$$$$$$ these days.

doublem23
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM

I fail to see how that's a problem

Lamp81
08-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Unless they split their TV revenue with you, why should the home team care?

I have always felt that all attendence, TV, and radio revenue should be split with 50% going to the Team and the other 50% going to a pool that is split among all of the other teams.

After all, the Yankees wouldn't have anything to sell if the Royals and Rays didn't play the games. The Yankees would still have incentice to make the best deals possible, as the bigger the pie, the bigger the slice.

Fenway
08-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Unless they split their TV revenue with you, why should the home team care?

I have always felt that all attendence, TV, and radio revenue should be split with 50% going to the Team and the other 50% going to a pool that is split among all of the other teams.

After all, the Yankees wouldn't have anything to sell if the Royals and Rays didn't play the games. The Yankees would still have incentice to make the best deals possible, as the bigger the pie, the bigger the slice.

Bill Veeck complained about this 60 years ago and so angered the then NYY ownership he was forced to sell the Browns

Simple fact of life that you get more viewers at night than a weekday afternoon and can then charge more for ads.

Veeck helped make the NFL what it is today by convincing Rozelle that TV money had to be split or otherwise the Giants, Browns and Bears would control the league.