PDA

View Full Version : Cubs to Drop Old Style After 2011 Season

PaleHoser
08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Link (http://www.chicagonow.com/as-i-see-it/2011/08/chicago-cubs-wrigley-field-will-drop-old-style-beer-following-2011-season/)

Maybe they'll bring back Hamm's?

eriqjaffe
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Link (http://www.chicagonow.com/as-i-see-it/2011/08/chicago-cubs-wrigley-field-will-drop-old-style-beer-following-2011-season/)

Maybe they'll bring back Hamm's?The writing in that makes my brain cry. I'm tempted to go back and put the word writing in quotation marks.

downstairs
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Wow. I'm not a Cubs fan, but indeed Old Style was part of their identity forever. And I think it looked a lot classier than the futuristic direction Bud Light and Lite ads are going.

PaleHoser
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
The writing in that makes my brain cry. I'm tempted to go back and put the word writing in quotation marks.

Me too. I thought it was just me though.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Apparently the new owners of Pabst Brewing (PBR, Schlitz, Old Style, etc.) are just terrible people. They basically chased off every executive who worked at the company prior to the sale who helped resurrect all those old brands. No surprise here.

asindc
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Apparently the new owners of Pabst Brewing (PBR, Schlitz, Old Style, etc.) are just terrible people. They basically chased off every executive who worked at the company prior to the sale who helped resurrect all those old brands. No surprise here.

In that case, **** 'em. The :dtroll::dtroll:

C-Dawg
08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
That was a tough read! Is the author even old enough to buy beer?

eriqjaffe
08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
That was a tough read! Is the author even old enough to buy beer?It reads more like he's just had a few.

Zakath
08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
The Old Style of beer will be gone.

The old style of losing will remain.

guillensdisciple
08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Most disgusting beer I have ever tried in my life. I don't care because I won't have it again, but it was a great beer to identify the Cubs with.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Old or new ownership wouldn't matter. Pabst's been home to dying brands for decades. Back around three or four years ago, they Old Style death spiral appeared to finally bottom out. Until Pabst decided to do away with the 30 pack, package it in 24 packs, and price it as a premium. There went 30% of the volume. The Schlitz retro-phase was passed by the time they decided to reintroduce it. As a super-premium no less. Even with declining volumes, though, the company continued to turn a tidy profit. Meanwhile, in Indiana and Illinois at least, the distribution network was crumbling. They lost wholesalers that concentrated on their brands. Their brands went to Miller houses, which buried the Pabst brands behind High Life, Milwaukees Best, Icehouse, and any other bottom feeder they offered. The few Pabst wholesalers left diversified into other brands or product. They use Pabst the way Pabst owners view the beer. It generates revenue, but less every year.

Medford Bobby
08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
The Old Style of beer will be gone.

The old style of losing will remain.

That will be on the back of Cubs pocket schedules next year....:(:

SOXfnNlansing
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I only buy Old Style for the house. Glad the bottles won't have the cub logo on them anymore! You don't know how much ribbing I get when I have one with their logo on the bottle.

thomas35forever
08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
But, but, tradition!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I actually like Old Style :?:

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Most disgusting beer I have ever tried in my life. I don't care because I won't have it again, but it was a great beer to identify the Cubs with.

This.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Old or new ownership wouldn't matter. Pabst's been home to dying brands for decades. Back around three or four years ago, they Old Style death spiral appeared to finally bottom out. Until Pabst decided to do away with the 30 pack, package it in 24 packs, and price it as a premium. There went 30% of the volume. The Schlitz retro-phase was passed by the time they decided to reintroduce it. As a super-premium no less. Even with declining volumes, though, the company continued to turn a tidy profit. Meanwhile, in Indiana and Illinois at least, the distribution network was crumbling. They lost wholesalers that concentrated on their brands. Their brands went to Miller houses, which buried the Pabst brands behind High Life, Milwaukees Best, Icehouse, and any other bottom feeder they offered. The few Pabst wholesalers left diversified into other brands or product. They use Pabst the way Pabst owners view the beer. It generates revenue, but less every year.

I know your in the biz, so I will just take you at your word, but everything I have read states that Pabst's beers, PBR especially, have made great sales strides over the past several years. I mean, go to any bar or liquor store in Wicker Park and Bucktown and it's all over the place.

Either way, I've quit all their brews until their dumbass owners sell.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I only buy Old Style for the house. Glad the bottles won't have the cub logo on them anymore! You don't know how much ribbing I get when I have one with their logo on the bottle.

I would just go with the White Sox logo Miller lite pint bottles.

Hitmen77
08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
most disgusting beer i have ever tried in my life. I don't care because i won't have it again, but it was a great beer to identify the cubs with.

+1

ComiskeyBrewer
08-03-2011, 11:19 PM

After the way Pabst screwed their workers(and former workers) in Milwaukee, **** em. I hope they go under. :angry:

And yes, the Metropoulos boys are a bunch of morons.

Lamp81
08-03-2011, 11:52 PM

Old Style is a headache in a can. The worst beer on the market. I'll be glad to see all of those Cubs/Old Style signs come down from bars and liquor stores.

SOXPHILE
08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I know your in the biz, so I will just take you at your word, but everything I have read states that Pabst's beers, PBR especially, have made great sales strides over the past several years. I mean, go to any bar or liquor store in Wicker Park and Bucktown and it's all over the place.

PBR is the drink of choice of the urban hipsters. That's helped the comeback. Oh, by the way, Old Style is disgusting. I can't even in good conscience call it "beer". Piss water with beer essence is more like it.

Chez
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
PBR is the drink of choice of the urban hipsters. That's helped the comeback. Oh, by the way, Old Style is disgusting. I can't even in good conscience call it "beer". Piss water with beer essence is more like it.

I think you just unwittingly insulted piss water.

Fenway
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Pabst has started to phase out PBR in the Northeast with another brand they own

http://schaefer-beer.com/Home.aspx

http://schaefer-beer.com/media/images/layout/sideImageBrewery.png

Schaefer was the first company to buy naming rights to a stadium ( and be the only beer sold in it ) (Wrigley really doesn't count - that was ego)

http://www.yawkeytalkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Foxboro-Stadium-300x210.jpg

I can not speak too badly about that dump - it kept the Patriots from moving

asindc
08-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Pabst has started to phase out PBR in the Northeast with another brand they own

http://schaefer-beer.com/Home.aspx

http://schaefer-beer.com/media/images/layout/sideImageBrewery.png

Schaefer was the first company to buy naming rights to a stadium ( and be the only beer sold in it ) (Wrigley really doesn't count - that was ego)

http://www.yawkeytalkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Foxboro-Stadium-300x210.jpg

I can not speak too badly about that dump - it kept the Patriots from moving

Which is worse than Pabst, believe it or not.

Fenway
08-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Which is worse than Pabst, believe it or not.

They did have GREAT commercials in the 60's
GqZDXCy_RZE

doublem23
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Right, and how do you think PBR became the drink choice of urban hipsters? You think all of them from different markets across the country just landed on PBR by happenstance? It's because Pabst Brewing, under its old leadership, found a way to make it that kind of a niche beer.

Foulke You
08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Right, and how do you think PBR became the drink choice of urban hipsters? You think all of them from different markets across the country just landed on PBR by happenstance? It's because Pabst Brewing, under its old leadership, found a way to make it that kind of a niche beer.
It always cracks me up when I see a Bucktown or Wicker Park hipster clutching their bottle of PBR at a bar that they paid $5 or $6 for and thinking they look sophisticated.

shes
08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
It helps that it's a slight step up taste-wise from other ****ty beers and that the can/bottle is aesthetically pleasing.

Also: at what beer have you seen PBR for $5 or $6? Unless it's a club, I've never seen any ****ty beer priced for more than maybe $3.50.

doublem23
08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
It always cracks me up when I see a Bucktown or Wicker Park hipster clutching their bottle of PBR at a bar that they paid $5 or $6 for and thinking they look sophisticated.

Man you go to some expensive bars

Fenway
08-04-2011, 05:04 PM
PBR is $11.50 at Yankee Stadium from vendors

Foulke You
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Man you go to some expensive bars
To be honest, I don't frequent those bars that much but the one I was at was charging $5 for PBR and just about everything else. I can't remember the name.

asindc
08-04-2011, 05:21 PM

A Blue Moon is $16 there.

Foulke You
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
:thud:

DumpJerry
08-04-2011, 05:49 PM
To be honest, I don't frequent those bars that much but the one I was at was charging $5 for PBR and just about everything else. I can't remember the name.
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_chuck/2006_08_jimbos.jpg

guillensdisciple
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Who in their right mind would drink at a yankees game?

Fenway
08-04-2011, 06:20 PM

PBR and Schaefer are only $9 if you go to a stand :gulp:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9glg6UKzJ1qz6a9mo1_400.jpg

DSpivack
08-04-2011, 06:25 PM

One of the few highlights in my first and only trip to USCF this season tuesday, was a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold I got from one of the craft beer stands. It was $7.00 (and a six-pack at a store goes for $9.99, I think), same price as a Miller Lite. Now I'm quite happy about that.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

We haven't been in the Old style/Pabst Brewing business in over a year. Prior to losing those brands, Pabst was growing, but all it appeared to be doing was grabbing some of the Old Style drinkers.

I think the urban hipster found Pabst, and I don't think Pabst "marketed" itself to that drinker. That person wanted a beer brand tha had recognition, tradition, and without the pretension/advertising that accompany BMC. PBR fit the bill.

Medford Bobby
08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
In the great Northwet, folks drink the local "Old Style" known as:

http://www4.images.coolspotters.com/photos/303863/rainier-beer-profile.jpg:gulp:

Viva Medias B's
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I wonder if USCF will start selling Old Style. I hope not.

doublem23
08-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I think the urban hipster found Pabst, and I don't think Pabst "marketed" itself to that drinker. That person wanted a beer brand tha had recognition, tradition, and without the pretension/advertising that accompany BMC. PBR fit the bill.

No man they had a whole quite guerilla marketing campaign and said they would often pay people to go into bars in the target markets to buy rounds of PBR and eventually, it stuck.

DumpJerry
08-05-2011, 12:25 AM

I think the bigger question is why would anyone eat Bazzini Fresh Roasted Peanuts? One package is half of your daily caloric requirement (what do they roast them with? Lard?)

The Critic
08-05-2011, 03:40 AM
I wonder if USCF will start selling Old Style. I hope not.

It would go nicely with the frozen pizza they're selling there. Maybe next year, a nice bowl of Ramen soup at the ballpark?

eriqjaffe
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
It would go nicely with the frozen pizza they're selling there. Maybe next year, a nice bowl of Ramen soup at the ballpark?"Hot Pockets, get your Hot Pockets here!"

beasly213
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
PBR isn't awful beer but it's not good beer. Same with Old Style. Not awful but not good. Generally bars will have cans for $2 in the city and being the broke fool I am I'll usually just order a PBR or Old Style unless something else is on special.

Didn't Old Style change their recipe a couple years ago too?

GoGoCrede
08-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Christ, maybe it's because I hate beer, but that's outrageous. I'd expect a prize at the bottom of the bottle for that price.

asindc
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Christ, maybe it's because I hate beer, but that's outrageous. I'd expect a prize at the bottom of the bottle for that price.

One trip to the New Yanks Stadium will have you cursing Sabathia, Texeira, and Burnett.

Fenway
08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Chicago Beverage has added this New England retro beer
http://www.narragansettbeer.com/home

An unknown comic team from Chicago did their commercials and were 'discovered' in New York because of them.
J_TJhJlJhx0

PatK
08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Hipsters drink PBR to appear "ironic".

S-SideTrifecta
08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
i'l take a PBR or Old Style over a nasty Miller Lite any day. I still can not understand why anyone would like the taste of diet beer. I love the classic taste of Old Milwaukee, Strohs, Olympia and etc. What is even worse now light beer isn't good enough, they are going to ultra light, is that even considered beer at that point?

FielderJones
08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
One of the few highlights in my first and only trip to USCF this season tuesday, was a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold I got from one of the craft beer stands. It was $7.00 (and a six-pack at a store goes for $9.99, I think), same price as a Miller Lite. Now I'm quite happy about that.

:thumbsup:

That has become my new favorite beer, ever since I tried it on tap at a new restaurant in my home town. Good to have it available at Sox games.

doublem23
08-06-2011, 01:20 AM

Well, I'm not even sure what that means but I think they drink it because it's cheap and gets the job done, and as has been pointed out, it's better than the macrobrew light beers.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Maybe they'll bring back Hamm's?

"From the land of sky blue water"....

You couldn't grow up in the early 70's and not hear that
jingle many,many times in a summer.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2011, 04:34 PM

For that price,i'd expect 2 pretzels with the beer.

PalehosePlanet
08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
PBR isn't awful beer but it's not good beer. Same with Old Style. Not awful but not good. Generally bars will have cans for $2 in the city and being the broke fool I am I'll usually just order a PBR or Old Style unless something else is on special.

Didn't Old Style change their recipe a couple years ago too?

A couple of years ago they went back to the original way of making the brew which was "fully kraeusened." The process is more expensive so the beer went up in price. I'm not sure if the change was successful or not.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/37581004.html

amsteel
08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Chicago Beverage has added this New England retro beer
http://www.narragansettbeer.com/home

An unknown comic team from Chicago did their commercials and were 'discovered' in New York because of them.
J_TJhJlJhx0

AWESOME

I drank Gansett all last summer in Boston. Does that mean it's going to be distributed in CHI?

Fenway
08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
AWESOME

I drank Gansett all last summer in Boston. Does that mean it's going to be distributed in CHI?

I know one bar in Lakeview that is getting it from Reyes. Gansett was a big brand but they sold out to Falstaff in the 70's which was a disaster.

SOXPHILE
08-08-2011, 02:44 PM

That's quite true. I was reading an article some time ago, can't remember from where, but it was talking about the urban hipster culture, taking a couple of shots at them. One of the things it mentioned was they drink the PBR, even though one hipster girl said it tasted kinda cheap and bad, but that's what made it so wonderful at the same time, and what made them (the hipsters) so cutting edge and rad. So I guess drinking cheap, awful beer is another way they are not mainstream and go against the grain. I'm sure if PBR starts getting any more popular, the hipsters will move on to something else (Natural Light ?) to maintain their cutting edgy-ness.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
For that price,i'd expect 2 pretzels with the beer.

That shouldn't even be in teal! :tongue:

Fenway
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
As far as I know nobody has tried to bring this swill back...but they had classic commercials

26HtmV0DmRU

GoGoCrede
08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Now's as good a time as any to ask: Never tried Old Style, is it better than the swill that is Busch Lite? (which is the bar by which I measure all bad beer)

Chrisaway
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Now's as good a time as any to ask: Never tried Old Style, is it better than the swill that is Busch Lite? (which is the bar by which I measure all bad beer)
Yes, most beers are though.

doublem23
08-09-2011, 09:40 AM

That's a pretty low bar to set.

Old Style is right in the category with other swill-y golden lagers; MGD, Miller Lite, Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Icehouse, High Life, PBR, etc. They all basically taste the same.

There is a definite lower level reserved for truly awful crap like Busch, Old Milwaukee, Natty, etc.

PatK
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
[/B]

A couple of years ago they went back to the original way of making the brew which was "fully kraeusened." The process is more expensive so the beer went up in price. I'm not sure if the change was successful or not.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/37581004.html

As someone who was heavily into homebrewing, "fully kraeusened" is really more of a marketing gimmic than something that improves the flavor in a watered down macrobrew like Old Style.

gaelhound
08-10-2011, 12:53 AM
My Father would let me take a sip or two of his Hamms at old Comiskey when i was but a tyke. I can still see the waxed paper cups with the Hamms logo and the golden ring of pine trees around the cup. And Schlitz in its new incarnation is delish. It tastes just like my old flat used to smell right after my folks would host a card party with the relatives. So many fine memories.

TaylorStSox
08-11-2011, 08:27 PM

This post induced an embarrassingly loud LOL from me. Well done, sir.

TaylorStSox
08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Hipsters drink PBR because it's/was cheap, it's that simple. Most "hipsters" are poor art school students and the people that copy their style. It's the same reason "bro's" at state schools drink Natty Ice. You can find a $2 pint of PBR at probably 90% of the bars in Wicker Park.

As a aside, hipsters don't hang out in Wicker Park anymore. Wicker Park is now called Lincoln Park West. They hang out in Logan Square and Pilsen. It's been that way for a few years. Get with it guys!:redneck

wassagstdu
08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Ah, nostalgia. The mention of Hamms gets me humming the Land of Sky Blue Waters jingle, which immediately evokes Jack Brickhouse and the 50s era Sox for me. But I have a soft spot for Old Style since I worked as a helper on an Old Style truck one summer before I was officially old enough to drink the stuff, delivering kegs to many (most) taverns in a large territory on the south side. I occasionally got an illegal glass that tasted like nectar of the gods on a hot day. What an experience that was. I had some of the best goulash and Italian beef sandwiches in the world in those taverns -- and have never worked harder. I still try to drink Old Style when I am in Chicago but never at Wrigley!

nug0hs
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
As a aside, hipsters don't hang out in Wicker Park anymore. Wicker Park is now called Lincoln Park West. They hang out in Logan Square and Pilsen. It's been that way for a few years. Get with it guys!:redneck

+Ukranian Village and West Town!

Medford Bobby
09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Never mind......Old Style beer has renewed ties with the Cubs for 2012 and beyond....:gulp:

thomas35forever
09-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Never mind......Old Style beer has renewed ties with the Cubs for 2012 and beyond....:gulp:
Not sure how to feel about that since I A) don't try to get to Wrigley every year and B) have never had Old Style.

roylestillman
09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Isn't this another decision that should have been left for the new General Manager??

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Isn't this another decision that should have been left for the new General Manager??What emotion is "sea green" intended to convey?

vinny
09-08-2011, 01:27 AM
What emotion is "sea green" intended to convey?
Isn't it obvious?
:chunks:

DumpJerry
09-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Cub fans should rejoice. This is the first step towards winning the World Series next year, which, by the way, is THE year.

FielderJones
09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
What emotion is "sea green" intended to convey?

I think that a fair number of individuals on this board are afflicted with color blindness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness), maybe higher than the 5% of the general population. I think it would be interesting to see how many people who pick the wrong teal have difficulty with the Ishihara Test (http://www.colour-blindness.com/colour-blindness-tests/ishihara-colour-test-plates/).

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2011, 01:15 AM
I think that a fair number of individuals on this board are afflicted with color blindness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness), maybe higher than the 5% of the general population. I think it would be interesting to see how many people who pick the wrong teal have difficulty with the Ishihara Test (http://www.colour-blindness.com/colour-blindness-tests/ishihara-colour-test-plates/).The "teal tutor" is posted regularly:

:tealtutor:

Two down, five over.