PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/2 Rain shortened crapfest Postgame thread

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2011, 10:57 PM
5NNOrp_83RU

GoGoCrede
08-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Almost got tickets for this one, part two.

PalehosePlanet
08-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Mercifully called after 6 and a half.

Noneck
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
The recurring summer nightmare continues.

soltrain21
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Phil Hughes. God ****ing damnit.

voodoochile
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Well everyone always says, "where would this team be without Konerko?"

Now we know...

samurai_sox
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I lost my dish signal during the 6th because of the storm.

I didn't mind.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM

Now we know...

Only saw part of this one, but the box score seems pretty bleak.

captain54
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I lost my dish signal during the 6th because of the storm.

I didn't mind.

Lucky you...my cable signal was fine...

Soxman219
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Thank God.

Patrick134
08-02-2011, 11:12 PM
The Tigers will fold. But the Sox will fold more. If the entire central division formed one team, they still wouldn't win a playoff series.

sox1970
08-02-2011, 11:16 PM
The Tigers will fold. But the Sox will fold more. If the entire central division formed one team, they still wouldn't win a playoff series.

The Tigers have an extremely easy schedule the rest of the way, and the new pitchers from Seattle should solidify their chances. High 80's in wins, I think.

PalehosePlanet
08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
We looked better offensively the night we were no-hit than tonight. We had some of the quickest 1-2-3 innings that I've ever seen.

DL Rios (turf toe) and Dunn (knee) and bring up Viciedo and Danks for CF/4th OF and DH. They certainly can't be any worse.

HaroMaster87
08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
This is so awesome...glad i skipped this one. I DVR'd it but after seeing the score, I went right in and deleted it...3 hits and ZERO runs against Phil ****ing Hughes??? wasnt his ERA over 6 on the season and over 8 in his last 3 starts???

Way to get it done, guys...oh well, keep cashing those checks!

Aesero
08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't stop watching these games. It's like looking at a car wreck. You know what you look at won't be pretty, but you just can't look away.

I just wish I had something different to watch other than Dunn striking out and weak Rios groundouts. I would 100% be ok with De Aza and Viciedo making those outs because at least I would know that we tried.

captain54
08-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't stop watching these games. It's like looking at a car wreck. You know what you look at won't be pretty, but you just can't look away.

and just think...there's an entire 1/3 of a season left

Lip Man 1
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Greg Walker can't wait!

Lip

thomas35forever
08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
My fantasy team will benefit.

guillensdisciple
08-02-2011, 11:49 PM
It's kind of funny, because you can't repeat your problems with the team as they are always the same ones.

There is LITERALLY nothing new to see here.

johnnyg83
08-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I know it's the moment and all, but I can't remember ever being this down on the Sox. The hubris of Ozzie not to sit bad baseball players, the awful scouting and minor league system, Greg Walker still being employed .... I check the score at 9:00 now. I used to follow the whole game. Now it's just a small part of my night.

Gavin
08-03-2011, 12:06 AM

Now we know...

You're right. With Konerko tonight could have been 6-1 instead of 6-0.

Zakath
08-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I know it's the moment and all, but I can't remember ever being this down on the Sox. The hubris of Ozzie not to sit bad baseball players, the awful scouting and minor league system, Greg Walker still being employed .... I check the score at 9:00 now. I used to follow the whole game. Now it's just a small part of my night.

2007 was pretty disheartening, but at least that year you had the knowledge that they were truly out of it.

What makes it worse now is that this division is ripe for the taking. Detroit and Cleveland are pathetic excuses for front-runners, and on paper we have the talent to win this division going away. We handed games away in April when our offense was there, and now we can't muster any offense to support the pitching staff. We've quickly become Mariners East.

There's time left, but the window is closing quickly.

Gavin
08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
2007 was pretty disheartening, but at least that year you had the knowledge that they were truly out of it.

What makes it worse now is that this division is ripe for the taking. Detroit and Cleveland are pathetic excuses for front-runners, and on paper we have the talent to win this division going away. We handed games away in April when our offense was there, and now we can't muster any offense to support the pitching staff. We've quickly become Mariners East.

There's time left, but the window is closing quickly.

On paper all we have is above-average pitching, Paul Konerko, TCQ 40% of the time and Alexei Ramirez. That's it. That's a team that loses 89 games on paper

Boondock Saint
08-03-2011, 12:20 AM
The only positive I can think of is that we're not sitting here bitching about the offense ****ing up another John Danks gem. He is so gone once he becomes a free agent, if not sooner.

Foulke You
08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
This was one of the worst games I attended in a while. Scorching heat to start, 50 min delay of game to begin even though the rain missed us, a pathetic display of offense (even for us), Danks pitching poorly, annoying New York fans, and a wrath of god storm after the Yankees 6th run. There was nothing to cheer about during this game...NOTHING. Player of the game was the churro vendor and even he looked bored. Most of the Sox fans I was sitting with were looking on the field in a daze as we watch another promising season swirl down the toilet. As a previous poster said, there is still time but it is fading fast.

kittle42
08-03-2011, 12:37 AM
They don't care, so why should we?

DSpivack
08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
This was one of the worst games I attended in a while. Scorching heat to start, 50 min delay of game to begin even though the rain missed us, a pathetic display of offense (even for us), Danks pitching poorly, annoying New York fans, and a wrath of god storm after the Yankees 6th run. There was nothing to cheer about during this game...NOTHING. Player of the game was the churro vendor and even he looked bored. Most of the Sox fans I was sitting with were looking on the field in a daze as we watch another promising season swirl down the toilet. As a previous poster said, there is still time but it is fading fast.

This might have been the worst Sox game I've ever seen in person. I saw them get killed by the Angels once, but even then the Sox turned a triple play, the only one I've ever seen (I think that was 2002?).

What was really scary was existing Gate 5 while it was storming out. People were getting off the escalator, saw how hard it was raining, the wind blowing, and lightning striking, and weren't moving from the bottom of the escalator. That really could have been dangerous.

manders_01
08-03-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm so confused. How did the Sox not get the final at-bat (or is the information on their website not complete and they did)? :scratch:

DSpivack
08-03-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm so confused. How did the Sox not get the final at-bat (or is the information on their website not complete and they did)? :scratch:

Game was rained out after the top of the 7th and then called.

BNLSox
08-03-2011, 01:15 AM

Yeah +1... Why is the top of the 7th counted if we didnt get our at bat? I thought in a rain out, if 5 innings are complete, you revert back to the last completed inning's score.

manders_01
08-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Game was rained out after the top of the 7th and then called.

Okay, but how can it be called if the home team didn't get the final at-bat?

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Okay, but how can it be called if the home team didn't get the final at-bat?That only matters if the visiting team goes ahead in the top of the inning and then it rains. The Yankees didn't get any benefit from getting to bat in the top of the seventh. Would you be happier if they went back to the last full inning completed (I don't think they have done that for some time, I think that now they consider it a suspended game if the visitors tie or go ahead in the top of the inning and then rain comes) and the Sox lost 4-0 instead?

A. Cavatica
08-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Ozzie quoted after the game: "Iím not going to give in. I think the players should know that. Itís easy when you give up. When the manager gives up, everything goes apart. Players will give up on themselves. Players will give up on the team. But when the manager gives up on his team, thatís the worst thing about it. Iím not going to give up. Iím not a loser."

Sounds like Ozzie is accusing players of giving up on themselves and the team. Then Ozzie, why do you keep running them out there?

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Please just go away, Ozzie. Thanks for 2005. Now go try your clown act in Miami.

VenturaFan23
08-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Hughes has been dog**** all season and he was fighting to keep his rotation spot. Add that up and the Sox hitters were doomed. Same ****, different day.

OmahaSoxFan
08-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Sad to say, if nothing changes the next few nights - my MLB Extra Innings package is about to be cancelled... No need to watch this garbage, and have to pay for it at the same time. Why should I, these overpaid Sox players don't care either obviously.

AnkleSox
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Every player's batting music should be "Yakety Sax." This team is a ****ing joke.

Chez
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like Ozzie is accusing players of giving up on themselves and the team. Then Ozzie, why do you keep running them out there?

Not a lot of better options on the bench. Would you rather see Lillibridge? Flowers?

peelwonder
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Sad to say, if nothing changes the next few nights - my MLB Extra Innings package is about to be cancelled... No need to watch this garbage, and have to pay for it at the same time. Why should I, these overpaid Sox players don't care either obviously.

Not to rain on your parade but after the package has started(and season started) you can't cancel it.

kittle42
08-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Not to rain on your parade but after the package has started(and season started) you can't cancel it.

Yeah, you're stuck with the garbage just like we season ticket holders are!!!

tstrike2000
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I thought Rios and Dunn would help us sweep this series with the Captain out.

manders_01
08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
That only matters if the visiting team goes ahead in the top of the inning and then it rains. The Yankees didn't get any benefit from getting to bat in the top of the seventh. Would you be happier if they went back to the last full inning completed (I don't think they have done that for some time, I think that now they consider it a suspended game if the visitors tie or go ahead in the top of the inning and then rain comes) and the Sox lost 4-0 instead?

Whoa! No reason to get snippy. I didn't see the game as I was dealing with a car wreck on my front lawn. When that was over, I went out. I didn't see any of the game and was confused when I checked out the box score. I thought the one steadfast rule in baseball was always that the home team had last at bat. That's all I was trying to figure out. Thanks.

ChiSoxGirl
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM

This is so awesome...glad i skipped this one. I DVR'd it but after seeing the score, I went right in and deleted it...3 hits and ZERO runs against Phil ****ing Hughes??? wasnt his ERA over 6 on the season and over 8 in his last 3 starts???

Way to get it done, guys...oh well, keep cashing those checks!

As soon as I heard that dude had an ERA over eight, I knew the Sox were doomed. I saw this beauty of a ballgame coming from a mile away, which is why I chose to multitask while I had the game on, rather than watching every pitch and waiting for something exciting to happen.

I'm so over seeing Rios trotted out there day after damn day. Both his offensive approach and defensive play deserve to be benched for more than just two freakin' days; two months sounds good to me. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the Sox were 2-0 in the games DeAza started in center last week and are 0-4 in the last four Rios has trotted his lame ass out there. I've been a Sox fan for over 20 years and have never seen a team underachieve this severely and have absolutely no one held accountable. I wish I could suck at my job and still be able to keep it and collect a paycheck on regular basis like Rios, Walker, etc. do!

voodoochile
08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
That only matters if the visiting team goes ahead in the top of the inning and then it rains. The Yankees didn't get any benefit from getting to bat in the top of the seventh. Would you be happier if they went back to the last full inning completed (I don't think they have done that for some time, I think that now they consider it a suspended game if the visitors tie or go ahead in the top of the inning and then rain comes) and the Sox lost 4-0 instead?

I just assumed that would be the final score and the stats from the top half of the inning would be wiped away, but maybe they changed that rule to allow the players to keep their stats when it doesn't impact the outcome of the game or maybe it never was one and I'm having a brain fart...

PaleHoser
08-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I was among the few Sox fans at this crapfest. To recap -

Yanks had as many home runs as Sox had hits.
Phil Hughes (he of the 8.64 ERA at first pitch) threw 65 pitches in six innings of work, and no Sox player reached 2nd base. His ERA is now down to 6.93. Phil, his family and his agent would like to thank the Sox for their hospitality.
Even with his stellar effort, Hughes (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=461833) BAA for the season is still .323 and WHIP is 1.67.
Good times. Thank God it rained.

Sox Are All In...fourth place by the end of the week.

boiker
08-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I pay for MLB.TV month to month. I could cancel it for the rest of the season. Something won't let me.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
I pay for MLB.TV month to month. I could cancel it for the rest of the season. Something won't let me.

MLB.tv =/= MLB Extra Innings

Also, you might be paying for MLB.tv in monthly installments, but you might have signed up for the entire season when you first ordered it.

JB98
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
This might have been the worst Sox game I've ever seen in person. I saw them get killed by the Angels once, but even then the Sox turned a triple play, the only one I've ever seen (I think that was 2002?).

What was really scary was existing Gate 5 while it was storming out. People were getting off the escalator, saw how hard it was raining, the wind blowing, and lightning striking, and weren't moving from the bottom of the escalator. That really could have been dangerous.

July 7, 2004. My 28th birthday. I was there. Schoeneweis sucks. 12-0 Angels. But the Sox did turn a 5-4-3 triple play on Benji Molina.

As for the current team, the offense is performing below 2007 levels. This is awful to watch. I hate being behind 2-0 in the second inning and feeling like we've got no shot.

tstrike2000
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
July 7, 2004. My 28th birthday. I was there. Schoeneweis sucks. 12-0 Angels. But the Sox did turn a 5-4-3 triple play on Benji Molina.

As for the current team, the offense is performing below 2007 levels. This is awful to watch. I hate being behind 2-0 in the second inning and feeling like we've got no shot.

Which is a sad level I didn't think we'd see in many, many years.

Foulke You
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
As for the current team, the offense is performing below 2007 levels.
It's truly sad to think that 2007 squad with Luis Terrero, Andy Gonzalez, and way past his prime Darin Erstad in the starting nine are better hitters than the 2011 team but it is somehow TRUE. At least we had injuries to point to in 2007. Crede, Pods, Dye, and even Iguchi all missed significant time if I remember correctly. This current bunch is just bad.:(:

A. Cavatica
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Not a lot of better options on the bench. Would you rather see Lillibridge? Flowers?

Players who have something to play for would be a good start. De Aza for Rios. Flowers (or Viciedo!) for Dunn. Heck, the way Rios and Dunn are hitting, let Santos bat.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Whoa! No reason to get snippy. I didn't see the game as I was dealing with a car wreck on my front lawn. When that was over, I went out. I didn't see any of the game and was confused when I checked out the box score. I thought the one steadfast rule in baseball was always that the home team had last at bat. That's all I was trying to figure out. Thanks.
Didn't mean it to sound snippy. That's the trouble with communicating in writing instead of face to face.

OmahaSoxFan
08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
MLB.tv =/= MLB Extra Innings

Also, you might be paying for MLB.tv in monthly installments, but you might have signed up for the entire season when you first ordered it.

Yeah I put down the wrong thing - I have MLB.tv (not MLB Extra Innings - had that last year, but decided to stream through my blu-ray player this season since Samsung added the option). I have to pay for my month through August 10th, then I can cancel... so the next few games will make my decision for me. One more with the Yanks, then the Twins... I am pretty sure I will be saving myself $19.99 for a couple months, and really that's not a good thing.

asindc
08-04-2011, 08:52 AM
I just assumed that would be the final score and the stats from the top half of the inning would be wiped away, but maybe they changed that rule to allow the players to keep their stats when it doesn't impact the outcome of the game or maybe it never was one and I'm having a brain fart...

That's the way I remember it as well. This strikes me as a recent rule change pushed by the union.