PDA

View Full Version : Brooks If you are Checking in...

palehosepub
08-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I thought the Frank Thomas Statute dedication was well done on Sunday - the video, the ceremony, etc. The giveaway statue of Frank is very nice - would you consider producing others for all the other concourse statues - Minnie, Billie, Nellie, Harold etc. Miight be a nice gameday draw for fans or if you sold them (maybe for White Sox Charities) I am sure that there would be many people interested in collecting a set from the comments I heard at Sunday's game. Just a suggestion.

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2011, 10:35 PM
If I could add my :twocents:.... Events like the retiring of Frank Thomas' number last year and the dedication of his statue this year should NOT be scheduled on days when the opponent is the Yankees or Red Sox. There were all sorts of Cub fans in Red Sox gear at the ballpark on Sunday, gleefully walking around with their Frank Thomas box and licking their chops to get it up on eBay.

It's a damn shame to see true Sox fans like myself get shut out of a statue by mere seconds because of some Cub fan in Red Sox regalia. Now, I will admit to lucking in to a statue after walking into the park, but not everyone was as fortunate as me.

Brian26
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Sox fans could have received the statue if they bought tickets earlier this year. Shame on Sox fans.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2011, 11:21 PM
And if they do have more giveaways like that, they should do them during the week, as it could increase the traffic at the gate on a day where it might not otherwise be as well-attended.

doublem23
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
And if they do have more giveaways like that, they should do them during the week, as it could increase the traffic at the gate on a day where it might not otherwise be as well-attended.

They had a Frank Thomas bobblehead game in April against the Orioles on a Friday night and only 21,000 found their way out to the park

DumpJerry
08-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Sox fans could have received the statue if they bought tickets earlier this year. Shame on Sox fans.
Game wasn't sold out. Sox fans could have bought tickets that morning and gotten a statue if they showed up early.

DumpJerry
08-02-2011, 11:35 PM
They had a Frank Thomas bobblehead game in April against the Orioles on a Friday night and only 21,000 found their way out to the park
There were two dates in April for Frank Bobbleheads. IIRC, the other one had a whopping 18,000 souls in the seats.

GoGoCrede
08-03-2011, 12:12 AM
There were two dates in April for Frank Bobbleheads. IIRC, the other one had a whopping 18,000 souls in the seats.

Yep, one of those was on my birthday. I showed up really early to get one, but my friends who strolled in 15 minutes before game time got one too.

kevingrt
08-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Wasn't Sunday just for the statue though?

And I went through the gates on Sunday at 12:15 and they were out of giveaway items. And yes there are plenty on eBay.

Gavin
08-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Brooks if you are checking in I think you are doing a ****ty job with just about everything, PR-wise.

ChiSoxGirl
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM

And I went through the gates on Sunday at 12:15 and they were out of giveaway items. And yes there are plenty on eBay.

That's about the time we got to Gate 5, as well. We would've been there sooner had we not got held up by one of the lovely TMA people at the corner of 35th & Wenttenworth for nearly five minutes. If that doesn't happen, both my boyfriend and I get statues without having to rely on pure luck to obtain a couple once we got into the ballpark.

#1swisher
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM

That's about the time we got to Gate 5, as well. We would've been there sooner had we not got held up by one of the lovely TMA people at the corner of 35th & Wenttenworth for nearly five minutes. If that doesn't happen, both my boyfriend and I get statues without having to rely on pure luck to obtain a couple once we got into the ballpark.

Gates open two hours before games. Everyone knows, that on promo days you line up, even earlier at the gates.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Gates open two hours before games. Everyone knows, that on promo days you line up, even earlier at the gates.

:nod:

I agree that the Sox shouldn't schedule these giveaway days on Yankee or Red Sox games since their fans travel so well, but I don't feel bad for anyone who shows up an hour before 1st pitch and doesn't get their SWAG.

amsteel
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM
You'll be able to buy these at the clubhouse sale in December, so anyone who didn't get one shouldn't fret.

Harry Potter
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Brooks if you are checking in I think you are doing a ****ty job with just about everything, PR-wise.

This.

TDog
08-03-2011, 12:46 PM
If I could add my :twocents:.... Events like the retiring of Frank Thomas' number last year and the dedication of his statue this year should NOT be scheduled on days when the opponent is the Yankees or Red Sox. There were all sorts of Cub fans in Red Sox gear at the ballpark on Sunday, gleefully walking around with their Frank Thomas box and licking their chops to get it up on eBay.

It's a damn shame to see true Sox fans like myself get shut out of a statue by mere seconds because of some Cub fan in Red Sox regalia. Now, I will admit to lucking in to a statue after walking into the park, but not everyone was as fortunate as me.

I checked this morning (out of curiosity, not because I'm in the market), and there are a few statues on eBay. A few of the prices people are asking are ridiculous that probably won't be achieved.

It isn't just non-White Sox fans selling these statues, though. I'm sure many White Sox giveaways are sold on eBay by White Sox fans. I sold my Hawk and DJ bobblehead on eBay because I wanted the money more.

I have A's jerseys from previous years that were given away when the White Sox came to Oakland that I haven't gotten around to listing. They always seem to give stuff away when the Sox come to town, but this year it was just for kids, a Mark Ellis bat a few weeks before the A's traded him to the Rockies. I would ride to those games on the BART and see fans getting off at my stops with the game giveaways because they wanted the giveaway but didn't want to stay for the game. I need to package my A's stuff in a lot. If ever the A's become cool again, I can look forward to cashing in, maybe $20. So I've got that going for me.

JB98
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
:nod:

I agree that the Sox shouldn't schedule these giveaway days on Yankee or Red Sox games since their fans travel so well, but I don't feel bad for anyone who shows up an hour before 1st pitch and doesn't get their SWAG.

And that's my complaint. Arriving an hour before first pitch, I know it's only a 50-50 shot that I'll get my giveaway. I accept that. I work late most Saturday nights, and I don't think there's a single giveaway in the world that will cause me to get up extra early Sunday morning to line up at the ballpark. Just ain't gonna happen.

If the Frank Thomas statues land in the hands of 20,000 Sox fans who got up earlier than me, I'm completely cool with that. It irritated me to see douchebags wearing Cub hats and Red Sox jerseys carrying around the statues.

TomBradley72
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
White Sox promotion approach is just become completely pathetic- why would you have a Frank Thomas Day type event when the Red Sox are in town on a Sunday? Us that as a draw for a less attractive date- doesn't make sense.

The bull**** with only giving away 20,000 is also ridiculous- if you go to a Brewers game- you get a bobblehead, giveaway, etc.- not just half the people.

Crestani
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Face it, he doesn't have much to work with..!!

TDog
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
White Sox promotion approach is just become completely pathetic- why would you have a Frank Thomas Day type event when the Red Sox are in town on a Sunday? Us that as a draw for a less attractive date- doesn't make sense.

The bull**** with only giving away 20,000 is also ridiculous- if you go to a Brewers game- you get a bobblehead, giveaway, etc.- not just half the people.

Back in the 1970s, I took my little brother to a bat day against the Yankees.

There are a couple schools of thought on promotions. Scheduling them against teams that don't draw will generate complaints from fans who are interested in promotion and not the game. Scheduling them against a team that has a lot of visiting fans may inspire more local fans to show up so that your team doesn't feel like they are playing on the road. The Giants scheduled promotions for all three home games against the A's this year. They didn't need promotions to sell out the games. They have sold out every game this season.

As for the number of things things given away,very few teams don't limit the number of bobbleheads or caps or jerseys or whatever. When the Giants had their Buster Posey bobblehead this year, you had to wait in line for about six hours to get one, or so the media reported. There were many complaints, more complaints than they would have received if they didn't have the promotion at all. I think everyone who showed up for the A's MC Hammer bobblehead game -- by the third inning -- got a bobblehead, but they still limited the giveaway to the first 20,000.

dickallen15
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm sick of bobbleheads. Whatever happened to bat day and helmet day, stuff like that?

whtsox13
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Gates open 1 1/2 hours before game time.

Jerko
08-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I got there at about 11:45 on Sunday and there were boxes of statues left near the Bacardi entrance. They will never get rid of giveaways to "the first 20000" or so because that gets more people there earlier to start spending $$$.

doublem23
08-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm sick of bobbleheads. Whatever happened to bat day and helmet day, stuff like that?

I'm sure we're never going to see another bat day every again. And every day is Helmet Day, as long as you're willing to pay an extra $11 and have it come full of nachos.

Brian26
08-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Well, it wasn't just "half the people" since the announced attendance on Sunday was only 28,000, and I believe that includes no-shows.

Have to be honest, I got there at 11:45 and got a statue. You didn't even have to get in line that early for this one.

Part of the reason I didn't really care if I got there early is because there will be hundreds of them available at Soxfest and the garage sales in the future, probably for $5 or $10 a piece.

Brian26
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Gates open 1 1/2 hours before game time.

Is that true on Sundays? I know for the Sunday Kids Days, they open at 11am sharp.

Brian26
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Bobbleheads rule.

Also, they're not as prone to being tossed on the field and impaling someone after a bad ump call like bats or seats cushions. :D:

doublem23
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Part of the reason I didn't really care if I got there early is because there will be hundreds of them available at Soxfest and the garage sales in the future, probably for $5 or $10 a piece.

Not to mention I'm sure they'll have them as SGA's in April 2012 and May 2012, too.

eriqjaffe
08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Can the Sox have a day where there's an Alex Rios giveaway?

Let me be clear, I don't mean bobbleheads. I mean give away the actual Alex Rios.

ChiSoxGal85
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Can the Sox have a day where there's an Alex Rios giveaway?

Let me be clear, I don't mean bobbleheads. I mean give away the actual Alex Rios.
:rolling: Think they'd find any takers?

doublem23
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
:rolling: Think they'd find any takers?

:KW
I'll be camped out the night before

palehosepub
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM

I think part of the reason for having it on a Reds Sox game is that when you honor someone you want to have a big crowd show up - like they did with Frank Thomas retirement day last year against the Yankees.

Poor Nancy Faust had a cold weather day in mid September last year with a smallish crowd - you cant control the weather but I think she deserved a bigger crowd for a send off but that is probably because I I've been a big fan of hers for 35 years.

I agree that the best situation is that everyone who attends the game gets the giveaway item. Most of the time the giveaway items are paid for by the sponsors (but no sponsor for the Frank Statue) I am sure that the idea is to get people out to the park earlier and spending $$$$ - I know i did..

palehosepub
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM
The thread turned into a bit of a "complaint session" but the point I was trying to make is that I think there is appeal for many Sox Fans or collectors to obtain all of the statues- the actual statues are a big part of US Cellular's uniqueness and I think many people would like replicas in their den, office, bars etc. Maybe sales of other player replica staues for White Sox charities would be another alternative.

dickallen15
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm usually not there for the giveaways but get them all later in a box. I got the Frank statue on Sunday and was asked by about ten people if I'd sell it for 10 bucks. I said no because I know where it was going. Is this common? There were a couple of guys with garbage bags full of them.