PDA

View Full Version : Has Beckham hit his ceiling???

gosox41
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Is this as good as it gets for Gordon. Most players in their 3rd season of MLB start to show their true colors. Not saying he can't be better or it's all over for him, but I expected more from him this year. His .250 average and .307 OBP with no power and no stolen bases has been a huge disappointment.

I thought this was the year Beckham would break through as the teams #2 hitter and hit 15-20HR's, .275, steal 15-20 bases.

Bob

rdivaldi
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
He's 24, he's not at his ceiling, there are better years ahead.

Frater Perdurabo
08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
He may have hit his ceiling with Walker as his hitting coach.

I think he could do better with a different hitting coach.

I'd like to see him try working with Hriniak. He might struggle for a while, but I think it could pay dividends in the long run.

RKMeibalane
08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

I'd like to see him try working with Hriniak. He might struggle for a while, but I think it could pay dividends in the long run.

:hurt

"No doubt about it."

Domeshot17
08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't think so, I just think his ceiling was lower than some expected. People were just insanely throwing out comparisons to Derek Jeter and Chase Utley. He was never going to be in that class. I think Howie Kendrick could be a good comparison. 275 ish hitter with 10-15 homers, 25-30 doubles and 60-75 RBI. 750ish OPS.

Bob Roarman
08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Utility players and defensive replacements come from somewhere.

voodoochile
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I think he'll hit for more power as he ages. He's finally looking comfortable in the field these last couple months. If he can stay at 2B I think he'll settle in and start to show a bit more offensively, but IDK if he'll ever be the "franchise savior" type of 5 tool player everyone wanted him to be.

He'll still be a real solid pro and he's not horrible now.

Soxfest
08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Gordon will never be a superstar Sox thought he would be.

asindc
08-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for fixing the thread title.

DSpivack
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't think so, I just think his ceiling was lower than some expected. People were just insanely throwing out comparisons to Derek Jeter and Chase Utley. He was never going to be in that class. I think Howie Kendrick could be a good comparison. 275 ish hitter with 10-15 homers, 25-30 doubles and 60-75 RBI. 750ish OPS.

At this point even that looks unlikely.

happydude
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I thought expectations were too high for him following his initial success; folks were actually talking about him replacing Konerko as the team captain. Many of those same people are now condemning him and referring to him as a "bust".

I think the jury is still out on Gordon and we should just wait and see. It may take him a few years to really get going or, alternatively, he may simply never be anything more than what he is now. He's early in his career and no one really knows.

PalehosePlanet
08-01-2011, 10:49 PM

His swing needs to be completely reworked. deconstructed, broken down, etc... Unless he wants to stay a .250-ish hitter with limited power.

It's gotten to the point that he rarely can pull a fastball anymore.

GlassSox
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM

I like his defense. Maybe he could play some winter ball some where with some different offensive coaching.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2011, 11:08 PM
He's 24, he's not at his ceiling, there are better years ahead.

I hope so.

Man, I know I'm suppose to be satisfied with the Sox having won the World Series in '05 but this season has been so frustrating. IMHO the Sox usually have a good, often high power, offense but it's the pitching and defense that fail them. This year it's really been a consistent theme of terrible offense.

MetroPD
08-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Gordon will never be a superstar Sox thought he would be.
I have to agree with this. He never showed much flash and brilliance, he's always looked manageable and that was it.

Soxman219
08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
When Walker leaves and the Sox finally get a good hitting coach, then he will get better.

24thStFan
08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't think so, I just think his ceiling was lower than some expected. People were just insanely throwing out comparisons to Derek Jeter and Chase Utley. He was never going to be in that class.

I think he was overrated. I also think he has been very inconsistent with his fielding at 2B. This weekend I saw him make some great plays, and then not get to balls that he should have gotten easily.

Maybe this is because he was a SS in college and the Sox have been playing him out of his comfort zone? I hope he gets better, but I'm not optimistic.

slavko
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Looking for answers, we are, and asking the right questions. They've tinkered with his swing but that hitch isn't going away. He sure looked lost as Mariano closed out the game with nasty heat. A new swing at this stage of his career? I don't think it could happen. Hriniak would see this swing and go home.

He's not Alomar, but he fields fine. This may be his "level of incompetence" where he stays for the rest of his career.

VenturaFan23
08-02-2011, 09:36 AM

When Walker leaves and the Sox finally get a good hitting coach, then he will get better.

This.

Huisj
08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I dunno, the way he's played the last two years, seems like he hit hit ceiling in July 2009 and bounced off it.