PDA

View Full Version : More moves?

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Anyone think more moves are coming now? I can see Lee and Durham both getting dealt before the deadline.

*I think they'll move Hummel back to second and put Harris in center. I know he's not really good there, but the Sox seem to always put players in spots they shouldn't be.

Perhaps I'm giving Williams to much credit here, but it looks like he has a plan.

*= Not saying they'll be with the Sox this season. Just meaning in the future.

Foulke You
07-12-2002, 03:58 PM
This was my thinking as well when I heard the trade. This trade seems like a prelude to a bigger deal down the road. Perhaps trading Ray Durham now that he has heated up with his offense. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess a lot will depend on where we are in the standings by July 31.

:KW
Can't you just hear the gears turning?

Randar68
07-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
This was my thinking as well when I heard the trade. This trade seems like a prelude to a bigger deal down the road. Perhaps trading Ray Durham now that he has heated up with his offense. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess a lot will depend on where we are in the standings by July 31.

I hope it doesn't matter on the standings, because this team ain't going anywhere IN the playoffs, IF they get there.

Foulke You
07-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I hope it doesn't matter on the standings, because this team ain't going anywhere IN the playoffs, IF they get there. What are you talking about?! Our pitching staff is every bit as deep as NY or Boston! I'm already saving up for the World Series tickets. :D:

Chisoxfn
07-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm kind of thinking that maybe just maybe we make a deal with the A's where we send Ray Durham and pick up or attempt to pick up Lilly. I don't know if they'd do Durham for Lilly straight up but they have a definate need at 2nd and with the way Ray is playing he's defiantely increasing his trade value. Of course we could always keep him and move Jose and Caballo or someone else somewhere and pick up a pitcher that way as well.

soxtalker
07-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I'm kind of thinking that maybe just maybe we make a deal with the A's where we send Ray Durham and pick up or attempt to pick up Lilly. I don't know if they'd do Durham for Lilly straight up but they have a definate need at 2nd and with the way Ray is playing he's defiantely increasing his trade value. Of course we could always keep him and move Jose and Caballo or someone else somewhere and pick up a pitcher that way as well.

This brings up an interesting question -- which teams are likely to be needing someone like Durham? We often look at trades from the perspective of what we need. Quite frankly, at this point, if the A's need Durham, we might be willing to take some of their young prospects.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

This brings up an interesting question -- which teams are likely to be needing someone like Durham? We often look at trades from the perspective of what we need. Quite frankly, at this point, if the A's need Durham, we might be willing to take some of their young prospects. better yet, what playoff team needs a 2b?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2002, 05:17 PM
With a strike vote drawing close, do you think anybody would pay the Sox much of anything valuable for a free agent secondbasemen that will become available anyway in a few months, just so they can take a shot at a run in the playoffs that might not even happen?

Here's betting our GM trades Durham for Jim Barry! :D:

:KW
"That's 'Berry', dammit!"

soxtalker
07-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
better yet, what playoff team needs a 2b?

Yes, a much more precise way of putting it. Let's look at what teams that are headed for the playoffs (or close enough to think they might make it) need a second baseman. We also should ask the same question about ss position. Clayton could be perceived as a good defensive fill-in for a team that needs a ss.

soxtalker
07-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
With a strike vote drawing close, do you think anybody would pay the Sox much of anything valuable for a free agent secondbasemen that will become available anyway in a few months, just so they can take a shot at a run in the playoffs that might not even happen?

Well, you're talking price here. They need to give us more than we think we'll get in compensation draft picks.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2002, 05:25 PM
I for one won't shed any tears when Clayton is shipped out of town. Good grief! Williams will probably trade Crede and Borchard for Albert Belle, who is still on the payroll of the Baltimore Orioles, even though he's retired.

Chisoxfn
07-12-2002, 05:28 PM
The Dodgers, A's, Red Sox(Not as big of a need as the other two teams) all could use a real good shortstop. You people all forget that Ray is one of the top 5 2nd baseman in the majors. He can hit for avg, has great speed, has some pop, and scores runs. He is a very valuable player and this year what makes him so intriguing is the fact that a team can pick him up and not have to worry about keeping him for next year. Still, I kind of think we will hold onto Ray and resign him during the off-season.

MarkEdward
07-12-2002, 05:32 PM
better yet, what playoff team needs a 2b?

Maybe Boston (although they don't have many prospects), Atlanta (although Giles will be back soon), or LA.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 05:38 PM
PHG brought up an interesting point, with the strike looming, do you think anyone is going to make a trade for ray? i think not, unless they actually postpone the strike till next yr.

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Still, I kind of think we will hold onto Ray and resign him during the off-season.

He's as good as gone.

Spiff
07-12-2002, 05:44 PM

A's can't afford him.

The Dodgers, A's, Red Sox(Not as big of a need as the other two teams) all could use a real good shortstop.

I think you mean second baseman. heh-heh.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 05:45 PM
espn news just said, and i may have missed this earlier, that TPA is soooo hardup for money that they may trade players for cash, break out you wallet JR.

hamilton and jesus would look great in a sox uni...

Jerry_Manuel
07-12-2002, 05:49 PM
espn news just said, and i may have missed this earlier, that TPA is soooo hardup for money that they may trade players for cash, break out you wallet JR.

There is no may, they are. You want a Ryan Rupe? How about Esteban Yan? Greg Vaughn do anything for ya?

The way a reporter described it, Tampa is selling off their players. Send them a million dollars and take whoever you want.

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Greg Vaughn do anything for ya?

nah

LongDistanceFan
07-12-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

There is no may, they are. You want a Ryan Rupe? How about Esteban Yan? Greg Vaughn do anything for ya?

The way a reporter described it, Tampa is selling off their players. Send them a million dollars and take whoever you want. i am not that much of a fan outside the sox org, but was that to meant in teal.