PDA

View Full Version : Boston Herald looks back at Cameron, Konerko trade

Fenway
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Paulie thought he had been traded to the Cubs - he didn't know anything about the White Sox at the time...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?&articleid=1355328&format=&page=1&listingType=mlb#articleFull

g0g0
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Nice little article reflecting on a trade that impacted their lives. Light reading but nice nonetheless.

shes
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Nice article. Good to see Cameron get some love as a near-equal to Paulie; most people would look at the raw numbers and dismiss him by comparison.

And who can forget the night he nearly put 5 in the seats against us with the Mariners?

Still glad we ended up with Paulie, though. :gulp:

asindc
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm glad Cameron was pissed about the trade then eventually got over it. Shows he wanted to be our CF, and that he developed into a true professional. I've always liked him, even after he left the Sox.

waldo_the_wolf
08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I remember the day this trade took place. Konerko's name was said a lot during the '98 season, I knew he was a good-looking prospect who the Sox were interested in. As the article says, Cameron had a terrible season, so I wasn't too sad to see him go. I do remember just knowing that Mike Cameron would be one of those guys who sucked as a Sox player but who would torch them when he came back as an opponent, and boy did he ever do that. Also, it made me laugh when Paulie mentions that he thought it was the Cubs when he was told he was traded to Chicago.

Zisk77
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Nice article. Good to see Cameron get some love as a near-equal to Paulie; most people would look at the raw numbers and dismiss him by comparison.

And who can forget the night he nearly put 5 in the seats against us with the Mariners?

Still glad we ended up with Paulie, though. :gulp:

4...No one has ever hit 5 out in a game.

thomas35forever
08-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Back when I played Triple Play 2000, I would hit a lot of home runs with Konerko. I guess the folks at EA knew something my 11-year-old self didn't.:cool:

russ99
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Good article. Cameron was a big favorite of mine, and I remember being miffed, but I think we won that trade. :D:

The name "Brian Simmons" sent shivers down my spine. We think we have a weak lineup now...

shes
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
4...No one has ever hit 5 out in a game.

I know. That's why I said "nearly." :)

In his 5th AB, he hit one to the RF warning track.

Huisj
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Good article. Cameron was a big favorite of mine, and I remember being miffed, but I think we won that trade. :D:

The name "Brian Simmons" sent shivers down my spine. We think we have a weak lineup now...

Simmons might have been better than Rios has been this year though.

soxgirl617
08-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Simmons might have been better than Rios has been this year though.

That's just mean...and incorrect.

Irishsox1
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I remember being pissed about that trade. At the time I felt the Sox gave up on Mike Cameron too quickly. Cameron was so good with the glove and stealing bases, you had to think his hitting would improve, which it did. But the strike outs were and always have been an issue.

However I still feel that the Sox could have got Konerko from the Reds for someone else than Cameron.

Foulke You
08-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I remember being pissed about that trade. At the time I felt the Sox gave up on Mike Cameron too quickly. Cameron was so good with the glove and stealing bases, you had to think his hitting would improve, which it did. But the strike outs were and always have been an issue.

However I still feel that the Sox could have got Konerko from the Reds for someone else than Cameron.
I remember being upset at the time too. I really felt that the sky was the limit on Mike Cameron's talent and he really could go get em in CF especially in his younger days. Cameron never lived up to the level I thought he could get to but he definitely became a very good big league CF for many years. I warmed up to Konerko immediately that first Spring Training in 1999 that he was with the team. I've always loved his swing and have never seen a better pure fastball hitter put on a Sox uniform. Also, the article really downplays Paulie's defensive ability. He catches everything he can get to and is great at turning the 3-6-3 DPs. It's a trade that worked out for both players.

hi im skot
08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Also, the article really downplays Paulie's defensive ability. He catches everything he can get to and is great at turning the 3-6-3 DPs. It's a trade that worked out for both players.

That was the biggest takeaway for me as well.

Konerko is truly under appreciated defensively.