PDA

View Full Version : Rosey Rips Rios

Lip Man 1
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Hard to argue with his thoughts:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-rios-embarrasses-guillen-williams-and-himself-20110801,0,6776133.column

Lip

blandman
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-rios-embarrasses-guillen-williams-and-himself-20110801,0,6776133.column

Lip

I especially liked the attendance part. We didn't blow it up, still have a ton on the books, and no one's coming to one of the most popular series of the year.

Next year's payroll is going to consist of two untradeable contracts and 23 minimum salary guys. Watch.

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Rosenbloom is absolutely right. Rios should have been benched Saturday after allowing the runner to score from first. Instead he was the first batter up in the bottom of the inning...unbelievable.

Even worse Rios is in the lineup on Sunday and dogs it again. If we can't trade or release him, can't we send him down to the minors?

He should not play another game in White Sox uniform.

#1swisher
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I still think the turf toe is an issue for Rios, so I'm not as critical as others here.
What's up with the rest of the offense? No excuse.:angry:

EDIT: Put Alex on the DL.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
All the more reason why accountability needs to be brought back to the organization...from the G.M. on down to the players.

If no one is held accountable why should anybody change what they are doing?

It could be a very interesting off season. (and then again it could just be more of the same...)

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Rosenberg hit the nail on the head, Rios is a piece of **** who should sit on the bench the rest of the year. Let Pierre play CF(he can't be worse and he hustles) TCQ to LF and Viciedo in RF. C'mon Kenny do something before it's to late.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Swisher:

True but if Rios' is hurt then what is he doing in the lineup in the first place?

Lip

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
EDIT: Put Alex on the DL.

Fine...anything...get him out of the lineup. He brings everyone else down with his lazy-ass play.

#1swisher
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Swisher:

True but if Rios' is hurt then what is he doing in the lineup in the first place?

Lip

I edited my post to add, put Rios on the DL.

amsteel
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I especially liked the attendance part. We didn't blow it up, still have a ton on the books, and no one's coming to one of the most popular series of the year.

I would blame that more on dynamic pricing than lessened fan interest. Stubhub didn't bottom out for Sat or Sun, so the demand was still there.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
I would blame that more on dynamic pricing than lessened fan interest. Stubhub didn't bottom out for Sat or Sun, so the demand was still there.

Um...there were 30,000 empty seats on a warm weekend in July. Against the Red Sox. Normally Stubhub seats for a series like that are over market, and by a lot. Nobodies going because our fans don't go to see crap. For this organization, expensive crap could lead to bankruptcy. I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

chisox12
08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Rosenberg hit the nail on the head, Rios is a piece of **** who should sit on the bench the rest of the year. Let Pierre play CF(he can't be worse and he hustles) TCQ to LF and Viciedo in RF. C'mon Kenny do something before it's to late.

Hard to argue with anything Rosenberg said.

Why Rios continues to play is a ****ing mystery. Makes me sick.

JB98
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I booed Rios every time he came to the plate yesterday.

And people who know me are aware I don't boo people frequently. I haven't booed Adam Dunn a single time all season.

That should tell you how I feel about Rios.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

And people who know me are aware I don't boo people frequently. I haven't booed Adam Dunn a single time all season.

You have all of our permission to start.

JB98
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
You have all of our permission to start.

I don't think he deserves it. Rios does.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't think he deserves it. Rios does.

I don't know...I mean he's in his thirties, is a big, non-athletic guy, and thought it would be a good idea not to swing a bat all off-season. Seems perfectly reasonable to me if people boo him.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't know...I mean he's in his thirties, is a big, non-athletic guy, and thought it would be a good idea not to swing a bat all off-season. Seems perfectly reasonable to me if people boo him.

But but but...he never swung a bat in prior offseasons, and it worked out just fine for him back then!

Hitmen77
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
All the more reason why accountability needs to be brought back to the organization...from the G.M. on down to the players.

If no one is held accountable why should anybody change what they are doing?

It could be a very interesting off season. (and then again it could just be more of the same...)

Lip

Yep, players like Rios are not held accountable and that lack of accountability goes all the way up to KW.

This offseason? The only players I expect to leave are good ones. They won't be able to afford to bring Buehrle back. They'll need to cut payroll even more, so expect Danks and/or Quentin to be traded away.

Last year, I thought Ozzie was going to live or die with his bench players for DH plan. But, after that blew up in the Sox's face, he was rewarded with an extension. I don't expect any big shakeups in management. Maybe a couple of token firings, but that's it.

Next year's payroll is going to consist of two untradeable contracts and 23 minimum salary guys. Watch.

If I'm not mistaken, the Sox owe Dunn, Rios, and Peavy alone $43 million next year. How much does that leave for the rest of the roster? $55M?

Jerko
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm just sick of "all or nothing" hitters. Some contact once in a while would be nice.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't know...I mean he's in his thirties, is a big, non-athletic guy, and thought it would be a good idea not to swing a bat all off-season. Seems perfectly reasonable to me if people boo him.Just as he had done every season prior, while still hitting 40 homers with 100 RBIs. People harping on this one point is ridiculous. It was his routine, and it had served him well to this point. Sure, he has been terrible this season and will likely change his routine in the next offeason because he is over 30 and probably has to do more now to stay in game shape. This isn't a case of him just being lazy or collecting a big payday and not trying anymore. And there are far too many things involved (including the influence of a certain ill-equipped hitting coach) including being so messed up in the head. This isn't a physical issue.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Sox owe Dunn, Rios, and Peavy alone $43 million next year. How much does that leave for the rest of the roster? $55M?

I forgot about Peavy's untradeable contract.

If we lose money this year, and it's looking like we might lose more money than ever before, I don't see us spending anywhere close to $100 million next year. Because we're going to be bad. Best bet is to rebuild with prospects by gutting the roster. Konerko would probably accept a trade knowing we're rebuilding, and he'd be worth a lot. Especially to a team like the Cards if they lose Pujols. Danks would fetch a small fortune from one of the east coast monopolies.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Just as he had done every season prior, while still hitting 40 homers with 100 RBIs. People harping on this one point is ridiculous. It was his routine, and it had served him well to this point. Sure, he has been terrible this season and will likely change his routine in the next offeason because he is over 30 and probably has to do more now to stay in game shape. This isn't a case of him just being lazy or collecting a big payday and not trying anymore. And there are far too many things involved (including the influence of a certain ill-equipped hitting coach) including being so messed up in the head. This isn't a physical issue.

I'm not booing him for being lazy, I'm booing him for being a complete ****ing moron.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
But but but...he never swung a bat in prior offseasons, and it worked out just fine for him back then!Yes, way back then. Golly, things sho have changed since 2010. Those were simpler times, Pa.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm not booing him for being lazy, I'm booing him for being a complete ****ing moron.Being a "complete moron" for doing something that has made him successful in the past? Okay. He still worked out, he just didn't swing a bat.

tacosalbarojas
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think he deserves it. Rios does.Preach.

blandman
08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Being a "complete moron" for doing something that has made him successful in the past? Okay. He still worked out, he just didn't swing a bat.

Not a "complete moron", a "complete ****ing moron." More emphasis. :cool:

Yes, I hold him accountable. He just signed a huge, long-term contract for a high pressure team. He's on the wrong side of thirty. You might not blame him for neglecting common sense, but some of us do.

hi im skot
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not booing him for being lazy, I'm booing him for being a complete ****ing moron.

That'll show him.

JB98
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't boo him. You can do whatever the hell you want.

My point was that I don't boo Sox players often, but even I am sick of Rios now.

TheOldRoman
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Not a "complete moron", a "complete ****ing moron." More emphasis. :cool:

Yes, I hold him accountable. He just signed a huge, long-term contract for a high pressure team. He's on the wrong side of thirty. You might not blame him for neglecting common sense, but some of us do.Wait, he is a vegan now?

Dan H
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
And just think. Rios was mad that he was benched for one game. How does he think we feel?

Dibbs
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
What a nightmare. I'm not spending another dollar on this team or organization until big moves are made from top to bottom. I may even start turning down free tickets.

TomBradley72
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Just as he had done every season prior, while still hitting 40 homers with 100 RBIs. People harping on this one point is ridiculous. It was his routine, and it had served him well to this point. Sure, he has been terrible this season and will likely change his routine in the next offeason because he is over 30 and probably has to do more now to stay in game shape. This isn't a case of him just being lazy or collecting a big payday and not trying anymore. And there are far too many things involved (including the influence of a certain ill-equipped hitting coach) including being so messed up in the head. This isn't a physical issue.

He hit .199 vs. Lefties last season, and in the .230's after the All Star break-

DSpivack
08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
What a nightmare. I'm not spending another dollar on this team or organization until big moves are made from top to bottom. I may even start turning down free tickets.

I certainly wouldn't!

This might be the first season since 1999 I won't get to one game. :whiner:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, way back then. Golly, things sho have changed since 2010. Those were simpler times, Pa.

1) Way to read way too much into my comment.

2) You're right. Dunn was hitting homers in 2010. He isn't in 2011. Things sure have changed.

I'm not saying its because he doesn't swing in the offseason, but jeez, how could a player just plunge off a cliff like Dunn has in such a short amount of time?

Jollyroger2
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
1) Way to read way too much into my comment.

2) You're right. Dunn was hitting homers in 2010. He isn't in 2011. Things sure have changed.

I'm not saying its because he doesn't swing in the offseason, but jeez, how could a player just plunge off a cliff like Dunn has in such a short amount of time?

I said during the Nationals series that the Nats TV announcers noticed a lack of urgency in his swing, not only at the plate but even in BP. They said it looked like he was just up there waving his bat and hoping he makes contact. Nothing like last year when he looked like he was at least trying. They weren't that direct, they dressed up the comments fairly well, but the point was obvious.

Dunn deserves booing as well. To me I don't see anything about a guy who's trying hard. Until I see otherwise he seems like the textbook case of a guy who got the big money deal and is coasting.

As for the Rios article in this thread, I agree 150%. He's dogging it and has been for some time now, that's nothing new. But the manager and the GM are the ones that are coddling him and sitting on their hands.

I've said a dozen times, Williams and Guillen have adopted the same lazy attitude many of their players have. They won in 05 and that's that. Since then, they have been extremely tolerant and acceptable of poor play.

Words like underachieving, disappointment, embarrassment, and failure have become the norm with the Sox. And nobody seems to care. The team isn't improved or blown up at the deadline, they are content to coast along hovering below .500.

If the management of this team doesn't care and lets failure be the way of things, why should any fans care? It's embarrassing, but not suprising, the way Boston fans came in and took over the stadium.

Tragg
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Excellent article by Rosenbloom...one of the best from Trib sports in a while.

SI1020
08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
He hit .199 vs. Lefties last season, and in the .230's after the All Star break- Correct so people harping on that point aren't being ridiculous after all. Many athletes adjust their training methods accordingly as they age. Look at all the work Jim Thome put in just to remain in the game.

GlassSox
08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Good article and I agree.

The Immigrant
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Minor quibble: this is not an article, it's a blog post. It does not appear in the print edition, but then again Rosenbloom should never, ever appear in the print edition.

Noneck
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Whatever happened to a reporter trying to interview someone before he cuts him to shreds? I wonder if Rosenbloom asked Rios what was going on with him? Did he question his mistakes and ask Rios what he thought was causing him to have the year he is having? Assuming someone is a slacker without at least asking what is the problem is a lazy mans way of writing an article.

They all have their faults but Guillen, Williams and Reinsdorf dont appear to be the type of guys that condone dog ass behavior. Based on this, I think they know more about the Rios situation than is seen by the eye. One shouldnt always base a book by its cover.

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
They all have their faults but Guillen, Williams and Reinsdorf dont appear to be the type of guys that condone dog ass behavior. Based on this, I think they know more about the Rios situation than is seen by the eye. One shouldnt always base a book by its cover.

Do you have any information that would suggest that there is more Rios' performance than simply "dog ass behavior"?

Noneck
08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Do you have any information that would suggest that there is more Rios' performance than simply "dog ass behavior"?

No I dont but I have seen illinesses and personal situations affect ones family and work life in an adverse way. But I do know if I had the opportunity like Rosenbloom has, I would at least try to talk to a man before I accuse him.

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
No I dont but I have seen illinesses and personal situations affect ones family and work life in an adverse way. But I do know if I had the opportunity like Rosenbloom has, I would at least try to talk to a man before I accuse him.

I agree that illness and personal problems can effect performance. If that is the case with Rios, put him on the DL or the bereavement list.

His performance is killing us right now.

Chez
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
It's really hard to believe that every part of Rios' game has gone into the toilet. He was so solid last year. I remember a thread someone started -- "Alex Rios is the best White Sox centerfielder since [fill in the blank]. If Rios and Dunn could just give us two good months . . .

Noneck
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I remember a thread someone started -- "Alex Rios is the best White Sox centerfielder since [fill in the blank].

Yea that was me that started that thread and I dont start many. Maybe that is why I feel as though something is wrong and its not what everyone thinks it is.

DirtySox
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I hope this has been posted already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/SmellsLikeMascot.jpg

http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/

all*star quentin
08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Hahahahahaha!

Lip Man 1
Noneck:

Rios has not been commenting to the media for the past month or so.

Lip

Aesero
I tried to post that the other day dirtysox. I figured I broke forum rules or something though when it didn't go through. It's definitely one of his best.

GlassSox
08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I hope this has been posted already.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/DertyFoot/SmellsLikeMascot.jpg

http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/

:rolling: So he does indeed practice between at bats.

Dan H
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Rosenbloom makes his living ripping people including fans who call in his show on Saturday morning.

But as far as Rios goes, if there is something that is affecting his on-the-field performance, the White Sox would be incompetent if they hadn't recognized it by now. Most companies have Employee Assistance Programs. Saving an employee is more profitable than firing one.

Regardless, Rios has been more than disappointing this year. More importantly, this has been one of the most frustrating White Sox seasons+ in a long time. So many search for answers; no one seems to have any. But benching Rios right now would be one thing I'd be willing to try.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Skanberg is the ****ing man.

GlassSox
08-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Rosenbloom makes his living ripping people including fans who call in his show on Saturday morning.

But as far as Rios goes, if there is something that is affecting his on-the-field performance, the White Sox would be incompetent if they hadn't recognized it by now. Most companies have Employee Assistance Programs. Saving an employee is more profitable than firing one.

Regardless, Rios has been more than disappointing this year. More importantly, this has been one of the most frustrating White Sox seasons+ in a long time. So many search for answers; no one seems to have any. But benching Rios right now would be one thing I'd be willing to try.

Yes EAP is excellent with the purpose to save the employee. The other parts of EAP include measurable expected results on a time line and a clear understanding that the EAP is not a free pass for a continuing problem(s).

Over the years I have witnessed success, which is a win-win for employee, employer, & employee co-workers, and also failure. The failure was on the individual and then management cut it losses and moved on.

Soxfest
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree with Rosey on Rios.

gosox41
08-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Lip

Hard to argue with his thoughts, but Rosey is really annoying both as a writer and on Sports Radio.

Bob

happydude
08-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I doubt if Rios, or Dunn, is "dogging it"; given the level of pride and commitment it must take to play professional sports it simply doesn't seem logical. More importantly, in my view it has no significance. Rios stinks whether he's dogging it or playing his heart out; Dunn stinks regardless of how well intentioned his offseason preparation was.

Thus, they are both deserving of condemnation for their lack of output this season. Their respective levels of commitment, concern, and "heart" don't mean anything if they aren't performing.

GlassSox
08-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I doubt if Rios, or Dunn, is "dogging it"; given the level of pride and commitment it must take to play professional sports it simply doesn't seem logical. More importantly, in my view it has no significance. Rios stinks whether he's dogging it or playing his heart out; Dunn stinks regardless of how well intentioned his offseason preparation was.

Thus, they are both deserving of condemnation for their lack of output this season. Their respective levels of commitment, concern, and "heart" don't mean anything if they aren't performing.

What offseason preparation would that be?

happydude
08-01-2011, 11:55 PM

Lol. I should have added "or lack thereof".

Noneck
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Probably the same preparation he did over the past 8 years. No one realizes that all of suddenly what you did for such a long time suddenly doesnt work. I am sure if he knew what he knows now he would do things differently. Now if he does the same thing next year, well thats a different story.

GlassSox
08-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Probably the same preparation he did over the past 8 years. No one realizes that all of suddenly what you did for such a long time suddenly doesnt work. I am sure if he knew what he knows now he would do things differently. Now if he does the same thing next year, well thats a different story.

And I'm sure that if KW knew then what he knows now, he would not have committed $ 56mm

Lip Man 1
08-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Noneck:

Rios talked tonight...sort of:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0802-white-sox-bits--20110802,0,3792857.story

Lip

MetroPD
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Rios is a clown, he doesnt even care that he's dogging out there because he's still getting paid and still playing. Ozzie is even worse because he's not doing his job, he'd rather make faces at the camera's and act like a side showsman.

DSpivack
08-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Rios is a clown, he doesnt even care that he's dogging out there because he's still getting paid and still playing.

Dogging it or not, he's not producing. I don't care what fans think a player is or is not doing.

Dunn and Rios are two peas of the same franchise-crippling pod.

Noneck
08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
And I'm sure that if KW knew then what he knows now, he would not have committed $ 56mm

Yes indeed, Hindsight is always 20/20 but if you are referring to Dunns off season regiment, I have never seen where someone told Dunn to do something different than what he did over the past 8 years. Things can happen quick when one ages, sometimes almost over night. Recognizing and adapting is the key, next year will tell the tale.

GlassSox
08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Yes indeed, Hindsight is always 20/20 but if you are referring to Dunns off season regiment, I have never seen where someone told Dunn to do something different than what he did over the past 8 years. Things can happen quick when one ages, sometimes almost over night. Recognizing and adapting is the key, next year will tell the tale.

Lip posted in another thread about Dunn telling the Sun-Times that he's going to swing a bat a little bit before he comes to spring training next year. I guess we can hope that his hindsight is 20/20 and he does some serious off season work to improve his performance.

RKMeibalane
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Dogging it or not, he's not producing. I don't care what fans think a player is or is not doing.

Exactly. There's a reason why these two have played on losing teams their entire careers. Winning isn't only about on-field results. It's also about preparation and dedication, words that these two ****ers have likely never heard.

BainesHOF
08-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Rosenbloom nailed it in every sentence about Rios. It's a great column. It's too bad nobody else in town offers such dead-on analysis. The postgame conferences with Guillen are a journalistic embarrassment.

Rios is an embarrassment, too. Guillen's an even bigger one. Guillen has no credibility left as a manager after not benching Rios after his latest don't-give-a-damn play.

As others have said, this team doesn't deserve my money. But, sadly, it's not even earning my interest. The lack of hustle by players such as Rios and Pierzynski and the daily dumb managing have pushed my interest away from this team. Normally I'd be rooting for us to get our act together in time to win the division. But not only do I think this team is incapable of making up a handful of games, but I'm actually hoping it fails at this point. This team offends my baseball sensibility. Hopefully the ridiculousness finally forces the organization to make changes. What exactly it is waiting for? Keeping Viciedo in the minors has been lunacy.

doublem23
08-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Exactly. There's a reason why these two have played on losing teams their entire careers. Winning isn't only about on-field results. It's also about preparation and dedication, words that these two ****ers have likely never heard.

Oh give me a ****ing break, Frank Thomas made a grand total of 2 trips to the postseason during his playing days, I guess he wasn't that good of a hitter now?

Judging individuals by team results (especially in baseball) is just... silly.

doublem23
08-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Rosenbloom nailed it in every sentence about Rios. It's a great column. It's too bad nobody else in town offers such dead-on analysis. The postgame conferences with Guillen are a journalistic embarrassment.

:rolling:

Rosenbloom is easily the biggest hack in this whole town. How, he called for the guy hitting .208 to be benched, WHAT A REBEL. 99% of the time, he is nothing but reactionary, circus side-show garbage. You get better sports opinions listening to sports talk radio. Well, at least you'd get the earlier, instead of having to wait for Rosey to try and cram as many ****ty jokes in his column as possible.

:rolleyes:

happydude
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM

Right. Would we honestly feel any better about Rios if the consensus was that he was busting his ass in the field, taking extra bp, watching tons of film, and cheering wildly for his teammates during games? The guys been a black hole in the lineup ALL YEAR; almost every damn game.

Same for Dunn. No one knows what impact his offseason routine had on this season; he doesn't know either. For his sake, and ours, it had better be as simple as getting in the cage and weight room during the winter.

Either way, these guys are Exhibits A and B in explanation of our offensive woes this season and there may not be a C. (Blame Walker or Ozzie or whomever if you like).

ZombieRob
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Difference is . I think Dunn is trying and cares, Rios does not.

Noneck
08-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Noneck:

Rios talked tonight...sort of:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0802-white-sox-bits--20110802,0,3792857.story

Lip

Thank you Lip but I have a feeling that whatever is wrong is something that will not be talked about on the record if it hasn't already. My beef with Rosenbloom is that he didn't go to Rios before blasting him. You are in the business so tell me if I am wrong on this. Cant a reporter go up to a player and tell him that it appears that he is not giving the effort that is needed on the field and that he he going to write that? At that time ask Rios if there is something that is making him appear that he is not giving his true effort. Give Rios the opportunity to tell him, maybe not in details but something like yes there are some personal issues that I am struggling with and may be affecting my performance. To me that would make me think real hard before I would write something about his lack of effort on the field.

Mohoney
08-02-2011, 01:17 AM

You forgot Peavy, so that's at least 3 untradeable contracts. I don't know how many people would be willing to trade for Thornton's contract, either.

BainesHOF
08-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Rosenbloom is easily the biggest hack in this whole town. How, he called for the guy hitting .208 to be benched, WHAT A REBEL.

Uh, he called Rios out for dogging it, and Guillen and Williams for allowing it to continue.

Who do you think is a good sports writer in this town?

BainesHOF
08-02-2011, 02:40 AM
My beef with Rosenbloom is that he didn't go to Rios before blasting him. You are in the business so tell me if I am wrong on this. Cant a reporter go up to a player and tell him that it appears that he is not giving the effort that is needed on the field and that he he going to write that? At that time ask Rios if there is something that is making him appear that he is not giving his true effort. Give Rios the opportunity to tell him, maybe not in details but something like yes there are some personal issues that I am struggling with and may be affecting my performance. To me that would make me think real hard before I would write something about his lack of effort on the field.

Dogging it is what it is...dogging it.

DSpivack
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Difference is . I think Dunn is trying and cares, Rios does not.

I think it's silly trying to parse the two, they're both massive failures. If Rios was busting his damn ass and not hitting any better, it wouldn't make me feel any better. If Dunn was dogging it, assuming he isn't now, and still hitting .160 it wouldn't make me feel any better.

doublem23
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Uh, he called Rios out for dogging it, and Guillen and Williams for allowing it to continue.

Who do you think is a good sports writer in this town?

Jim Margalus who blogs at southsidesox.com.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Rosenbloom is easily the biggest hack in this whole town. How, he called for the guy hitting .208 to be benched, WHAT A REBEL. 99% of the time, he is nothing but reactionary, circus side-show garbage. You get better sports opinions listening to sports talk radio. Well, at least you'd get the earlier, instead of having to wait for Rosey to try and cram as many ****ty jokes in his column as possible.

:rolleyes:Yeah, Rosenbloom pretty much has a remedial knowledge of sports so his droppings are little more than bad one-liners and smarm to cover up for it. Hell, you can find that on WSI if it's your cup of tea. The fact that this guy still feeds his family by doing that is astonishing.

PeteWard
08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Rios is a bum but this "writer" is Mariotti squared. An absolute piece of ****.

RKMeibalane
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Oh give me a ****ing break, Frank Thomas made a grand total of 2 trips to the postseason during his playing days, I guess he wasn't that good of a hitter now?

Judging individuals by team results (especially in baseball) is just... silly.

Actually, he made three trips ('93, '00, '06), and was part of the '05 squad. The '94 team was on track to reach the post-season when the strike hit, so Frank's track-record of making the post-season is different from that of Dunn or Rios, who have yet to get there themselves.

I don't necessarily think a player is a "loser" if his teams don't make the post-season (see: Don Mattingly, 1980's Yankees), provided that at least some of the teams he plays for are competitive (many of Frank's were, even if they did underachieve ----> '96, '03, '04), and no one here disputes that Frank put in the time to make his team better. It wasn't his fault that he played for Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel.

My gripe with Rios and Dunn is that each of them has terrible work habits, (i.e. Dunn not swinging a bat all off-season, Rios not running out ground-balls, etc.) I saw a fair amount of Rios during his time in Toronto, and the question that was always asked about him was why he wasn't a better player than he consistently showed. Many felt that the Jays would have been a better team had he performed at the level many believed he was capable of.

Is it fair to blame only Rios for the Jays mediocrity? No, but seeing him play every day for this outfit makes me wonder both about his own personality, as well the as culture of losing that has been so pervasive in places like Toronto, Cincinnati (until recently, as they've been more competitive), and other organizations.

jdm2662
08-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Why do you people even read this guy? He is a nothing but a basement blogger. His act got old over ten years go, and he's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

Rios sucks and has a lousy attitude. We know this already.

thomas35forever
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I finally cut Rios from my fantasy team sometime last week.

DSpivack
08-02-2011, 05:49 PM

:o:

What took you so long?

thomas35forever
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
:o:

What took you so long?
I didn't think my one Sox position player was going to struggle so badly for so long.

cards press box
08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

:rolleyes:

+1.

Rosenbloom is a hack with a seeming axe to grind against the Sox. I remember seeing where he invited the late Ron Santo to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at a family party and Santo did so.

I called Rosenbllom on his radio program in 2003 and told him that the bias in the Chicago media against the White Sox was almost unbelievable. I also told him that the Sox' only way to overcome that bias was to "win their way out of it." That was true in 2003 and remains true today.

SoxfaninLA
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Agree 100%, Rios is a total dog and an embarassment to the organization. Crap with the bat, stupid in the field, and dogs it on the bases. I will always root for a guy, even if he is struggling. There are only a handful of White Sox players I truly disliked in my lifetime (Navarro, Clayton, Belle, Wells), mostly guys that either dogged it or were just bad guys. Rios is right at the top of that list for me at this point, right behind my all time hated player Jaime Navarro.

asindc
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Agree 100%, Rios is a total dog and an embarassment to the organization. Crap with the bat, stupid in the field, and dogs it on the bases. I will always root for a guy, even if he is struggling. There are only a handful of White Sox players I truly disliked in my lifetime (Navarro, Clayton, Belle, Wells), mostly guys that either dogged it or were just bad guys. Rios is right at the top of that list for me at this point, right behind my all time hated player Jaime Navarro.

My sentiments exactly, including the other despicable players you listed. Rios really needs to be benched for the remainder of the season.

JB98
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM

I finally cut Dunn today. Of course, I don't think I had played him but once or twice over the last two months. He's been rotting on my bench.

Sox
08-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Rios should have been gone like yesterday.....what a lazy bum....he's cost the Sox two games and will cost the Sox more unless he;s benched or traded.

Brian26
08-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, Rosenbloom pretty much has a remedial knowledge of sports so his droppings are little more than bad one-liners and smarm to cover up for it. Hell, you can find that on WSI if it's your cup of tea. The fact that this guy still feeds his family by doing that is astonishing.

Rosenbloom is just a miserable **** of epic proportions. I've caught his radio show on Saturday mornings a handful of times when I'm out early running errands. I'm not sure what kind of masochist would listen to more than a few minutes before needing to drive their car into a ditch or blowing their brains out.