Marqhead
07-31-2011, 01:45 PM
No hits through 6

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Through 7.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Ironically, the Tigers lead on a home run by the Other Guy.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Ironically, the Tigers lead on a home run by the Other Guy.

I'm missing the irony there. :scratch:

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:00 PM

:maggs

doublem23
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM

Maggs finally coming back to haunt us, only 7 years after he left?

doublem23
07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
:maggs

We know who hit the HR... Just fail to see how that is really that ironic.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Maggs finally coming back to haunt us, only 7 years after he left?

But the Tigers are playing the Angels. :?:

Carlos Guillen HRs, watches his HR and stares down Jeff Weaver. Wendelstedt warns Weaver, who throws at but misses Alex Avila, and Weaver is ejected.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
We know who hit the HR... Just fail to see how that is really that ironic.

Just that news of this was posted on a White Sox board, and that the Tigers lead because of him.

Meanwhile, Carlos Guillen has homered. He watched his home run leave the park, and was confronted by Jared Weaver. Our dear friend Hunter Wendelstadt warned both benches. Weaver threw the next pitch at Avila's head, and was tossed.

thomas35forever
07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
This guy is really unbelievable. Nolan Ryan's gotta start worrying about his record.

doublem23
07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
But the Tigers are playing the Angels. :?:

Yeah but we're chasing the Tigers. Look, that's the only thing I can think of.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
A Gene LaMont sighting...

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Just that news of this was posted on a White Sox board, and that the Tigers lead because of him.

Meanwhile, Carlos Guillen has homered. He watched his home run leave the park, and was confronted by Jared Weaver. Our dear friend Hunter Wendelstadt warned both benches. Weaver threw the next pitch at Avila's head, and was tossed.

I still don't see how's that ironic, but whatever, it's not important.

I don't know if I like what anyone did there.

Weaver for not plunking Avila's back or behind, instead throwing at his head.

Guillen for staring down his HR.

Wendelstedt for issuing the warning.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I still don't see how's that ironic, but whatever, it's not important.

I don't know if I like what anyone did there.

Weaver for not plunking Avila's back or behind, instead throwing at his head.

Guillen for staring down his HR.

Wendelstedt for issuing the warning.

Agreed. Guillen should have run the bases like he was supposed to. I've never seen a warning issued this way, either, though nothing Hunter Wendelstadt does surprises me.

I don't have a problem with Weaver going after the next Tigers hitter, as he was only standing up for himself, but I agree that he shouldn't be throwing at another player's head. There are other ways to make a point.

I wonder if Verlander sacrifices himself, for lack of a better way of describing it, and throws at Aybar to begin the 8th. The Tigers could still end up with a combined no-hitter.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Aybar bunts... and reaches on an error. Verlander now staring down Aybar.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Erick Aybar bunts back to Verlander, the pitcher's throw is wide, Aybar takes second base, error charged to Verlander.

Marqhead
07-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Aybar bunts... and reaches on an error. Verlander now staring down Aybar.

What do we think, bush league?

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:14 PM

I hate that stupid "rule." It's still a game, players should do whatever they can to win.

thomas35forever
07-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Absolutely. If Aybar gets to bat again, you can bet the next pitch will be at his head.

MtGrnwdSoxFan

Everything since the Guillen staredown is pretty much clown shoes.

RKMeibalane

In a game that's still close (3-0), I think reaching base anyway that one can in order to win a game is acceptable. If this were a blow-out, I'd consider it bush-league.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
100mph fastball on his 97th pitch. It's typical Verlander, but no less amazing.

Marqhead
07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
It's a close call, but I think the game is close enough to warrant a bunt. Then again, I have no doubt his decision to bunt was affected by all the home run antics.

Verlander reaching back for 100 MPH, this guy is a stud. No doubt he's the best pitcher in the AL.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
I hate that stupid "rule." It's still a game, players should do whatever they can to win.

Especially since it's only a 3-0 game. It's not like it's a blowout. It's a winnable game. The Tigers bullpen is weak, and if you get to it, anything can happen.

DSpivack
Tigers screw up a rundown and a run scores.

thomas35forever
What a way to lose it.

EDIT: Never mind. Still has it.

Marqhead
07-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Very poorly executed run down.

This game is on MLB network for anyone who didn't know.

RKMeibalane
Especially since it's only a 3-0 game. It's not like it's a blowout. It's a winnable game. The Tigers bullpen is weak, and if you get to it, anything can happen.

And Aybar has scored, making it 3-1.

DSpivack
What a way to lose it.

Fielder's choice and a error, no hit there.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit before I posted, sorry.

Marqhead
What a way to lose it.

EDIT: Never mind.

Yeah, that's a fielders choice. No hitter still intact.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Tigers announcers wondering how you get an RBI without an at-bat. They never heard of a walk or sac fly?

RKMeibalane
07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Tigers announcers wondering how you get an RBI without an at-bat. They never heard of a walk or sac fly?

Apparently not.

DSpivack
No hitter over and it's 3-2. ;)

RKMeibalane
And the no-hitter is gone. Now 3-2.

thomas35forever
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
The failed rundown comes back to bite him.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
The failed rundown comes back to bite him.

Serves 'em right after Carlos Guillen's ridiculous staredown.

thomas35forever
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Serves 'em right after Carlos Guillen's ridiculous staredown.
What happened exactly? I didn't see it.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
What happened exactly? I didn't see it.

Hit a HR, flipped his bat to the ground and stared down Jered Weaver, and only then ran the bases. Both sides were then warned, Weaver throws over Alex Avila's head, and gets ejected.

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Dreaded leadoff walk for Valverde, who is 27/27 in save situations this season.

There's a first time for everything...

DSpivack
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Tigers win.

Damn.

Tragg
07-31-2011, 02:46 PM

Staring him down, yes.
Bunting? No

Brian26
07-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Just saw the replay. Did they actually give Verlander an error on Aybar's bunt to preserve the no hitter? Verlander absolutely threw that ball away on purpose. I've seen catchers make a bad throw before to preserve a no-hitter (Karkovice did this in Alavarez' no hitter in Baltimore in '91), but for a pitcher to throw a ball away on his own is a bit of a douchebag move.

tstrike2000
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
He's a decent pitcher.

Oblong
08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
For those who don't know the backstory...

On his HR, Maggs stayed at the plate to watch it, it was almost a foul ball. He quote was something like "I don't hit that many HR anymore and I wanted to make sure it was fair". Weaver told him to "run faster" and Maggs said he's old, that's as fast as he runs. Guillen didn't like Weaver showing up his buddy so he showed Guillen what showboating was all about. His quote was along the lines of "He's a 14 year veteran, you don't tell him to run faster."

I'm just ticked I missed it all due to a family outing at an amusement park!

Brian26
08-01-2011, 08:32 AM
For those who don't know the backstory...

On his HR, Maggs stayed at the plate to watch it, it was almost a foul ball. He quote was something like "I don't hit that many HR anymore and I wanted to make sure it was fair". Weaver told him to "run faster" and Maggs said he's old, that's as fast as he runs. Guillen didn't like Weaver showing up his buddy so he showed Guillen what showboating was all about. His quote was along the lines of "He's a 14 year veteran, you don't tell him to run faster."

I'm just ticked I missed it all due to a family outing at an amusement park!

From that perspective (and I never stopped liking Mags after he left), it's easy to side with Carlos Guillen here. Weaver's a jackass just like his punk brother was.

asindc
08-01-2011, 08:41 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous that anyone would be upset with Aybar's bunt. It is part of his game, it was a close game, and they are in a division race. It's just stupid to suggest he should not place winning as the highest priority.

ktssox
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
From that perspective (and I never stopped liking Mags after he left), it's easy to side with Carlos Guillen here. Weaver's a jackass just like his punk brother was.

How does that perspective make you side with Guillen? Magglio shows up Weaver, and that makes it right for Guillen to show up Weaver? Seems like perhaps you just don't like Weaver (although I don't like him throwing at someone's head) and would have sided against him no matter what. The Tigers were all wrong in this game, from these two plays to Verlander purposefully throwing the ball away.

Brian26
08-01-2011, 03:15 PM
How does that perspective make you side with Guillen? Magglio shows up Weaver, and that makes it right for Guillen to show up Weaver?

When I first heard the story, I sided with Weaver because of Carlos Guillen's nonsense (especially with Valverde on Detroit...Guillen should know better). I had no idea much of this was predicated on the Magglio HR earlier in the game. Then, I saw the replay of the Mags homer on MLB last night. It looked like it was a foul ball all the way. Now, batters are taught to run out of the box on anything close, but the reality of the matter is that most MLB hitters stand in the box on a blast like that if they think it's going foul. It wasn't going to fall inside the fence; it was a "long foul ball or homerun" scenario, and to see the replay of Mags hobbling out of the box after he realized it just curved around the pole and think he was "showboating". No way.

ktssox
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
When I first heard the story, I sided with Weaver because of Carlos Guillen's nonsense (especially with Valverde on Detroit...Guillen should know better). I had no idea much of this was predicated on the Magglio HR earlier in the game. Then, I saw the replay of the Mags homer on MLB last night. It looked like it was a foul ball all the way. Now, batters are taught to run out of the box on anything close, but the reality of the matter is that most MLB hitters stand in the box on a blast like that if they think it's going foul. It wasn't going to fall inside the fence; it was a "long foul ball or homerun" scenario, and to see the replay of Mags hobbling out of the box after he realized it just curved around the pole and think he was "showboating". No way.

Ok. I guess that makes more sense than just reacting to Oblong's story. However, it didn't sound like the announcers thought it was foul all the way - they were calling homerun right off the bat. Perhaps I'm reacting to their call when I'm watching the replays on MLB. To hear that and see Maggs standing there makes me question it.

Oblong
08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I"ve watched Maggs for 7 years now and the extent I've see him showboat was raising an arm after clinching an AL Pennant with a HR. GUy has the same demeanor after a 3 run HR as he does after a GIDP.

Brian26
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I"ve watched Maggs for 7 years now and the extent I've see him showboat was raising an arm after clinching an AL Pennant with a HR. GUy has the same demeanor after a 3 run HR as he does after a GIDP.

People in Chicago should know the same, putting aside all of the nonsense (perceived or real) when he left. After watching the replays again today, its obvious what Carlos Guillen was doing on his homer, which was a passionate reaction to the wrongful over-reaction by Weaver on Mags' homer.

asindc
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
People in Chicago should know the same, putting aside all of the nonsense (perceived or real) when he left. After watching the replays again today, its obvious what Carlos Guillen was doing on his homer, which was a passionate reaction to the wrongful over-reaction by Weaver on Mags' homer.

Weaver was wrong about Maggs.

Guillen was wrong towards Weaver.

Verlander was wrong about Aybar.

Leland was right.

Bob Roarman
08-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Absolutely. If Aybar gets to bat again, you can bet the next pitch will be at his head.

How is it bush league?

Oblong
08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Weaver was wrong about Maggs.

Guillen was wrong towards Weaver.

Verlander was wrong about Aybar.

Leland was right.

yeah it was nonsense all around. Verlander's quote on the bunt was along the lines of "I know there's a debate about it but as pitchers we think it's bush", and he was laughing as he said it.

I have no problem with bunting to break up a no hitter whether it's 1-0 or 10-0. Even if you know you'll make an out if you think you tick off the pitcher and he'll react to your advantage then you should do it. A baseball game has no clock. You can score 18 runs with 2 outs in the 9th.

Bucky F. Dent
08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't think Magglio showed up Weaver. I think Magglio thought the ball was hit foul.

DSpivack
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Weaver is suspended 6 games.

Scioscia gets a one-game suspension.

cards press box
08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous that anyone would be upset with Aybar's bunt. It is part of his game, it was a close game, and they are in a division race. It's just stupid to suggest he should not place winning as the highest priority.

I was at the game and, believe me, a lot of Tigers fans were upset with Aybar's bunt. Given the way the 8th inning went and given the fact that the Angels managed to get the potential tying run in scoring position in the 8th and 9th innings, it is hard to say that Aybar's bunt was anything but good strategic baseball. After all, Aybar's job was to help the Angels win a game and not to help Verlander get a no-hitter.