PDA

View Full Version : Trade question.

Scottiehaswheels
07-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Has anyone been traded mid-game to the opposing team and been able to play for the other team? I'm just curious if this has happened in the past and if the stats would show the player to have played say 163 games instead of 162?

Brian26
07-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Has anyone been traded mid-game to the opposing team and been able to play for the other team? I'm just curious if this has happened in the past and if the stats would show the player to have played say 163 games instead of 162?

This just popped into my mind because I was thinking about the scenario tomorrow if Quentin was traded to the Red Sox. I'm certain MLB has a rule that your roster has to be set prior to a game, so there would never be a chance to play in the same game on opposing sides.

There is a chance a player could play in 163 games in the same season because of a trade. There are examples of players playing in two games on the same day in different cities (Joel Youngblood might be the last example of this. I'm going by memory here, but I think he played a day game at Wrigley with the Mets and then was traded and flew up to Montreal to play for the Expos).

TDog
07-31-2011, 12:07 AM
This just popped into my mind because I was thinking about the scenario tomorrow if Quentin was traded to the Red Sox. I'm certain MLB has a rule that your roster has to be set prior to a game, so there would never be a chance to play in the same game on opposing sides.

There is a chance a player could play in 163 games in the same season because of a trade. There are examples of players playing in two games on the same day in different cities (Joel Youngblood might be the last example of this. I'm going by memory here, but I think he played a day game at Wrigley with the Mets and then was traded and flew up to Montreal to play for the Expos).

You can be traded midgame, but you cannot be eligible to play for the other team. You can be traded between games of a doubleheader to the other team. That happened to someone once, but I have forgotten to whom or whether there were unique circumstances.

Nelson Foxtrot
07-31-2011, 12:10 AM
No, but a similar thing happened with a double-header. On 5/30/22, the Cardinals were in Chicago to play two. Between games, the Cards traded Cliff Heathcote to the Cubs for Max Flack. Both players got hits in Game 2 with their new teams. The Phillies traded Jose Cardenal to the Mets between games of a double-header between the two teams on 8/2/79, but Cardenal didn't play in either game.

Joel Youngblood played for the Mets in a day game against the Cubs in Chicago on 8/4/82. He was then traded to the Expos, caught a flight to Philadelphia and played against the Phillies (entering the game in the 6th) that evening. In the process, he became the only player to ever get hits off Ferguson Jenkins and Steve Carlton in the same day.

The closest thing to the scenario you mentioned happened in the NBA. The 76ers beat the Nets on 11/8/78, but the Nets protested since one of their players and coach had been called for 3 technical fouls, instead of the allowed 2. The game was re-played from the point of the fouls (17:50 left) on 3/23/79. During the four month delay, Ralph Simpson (India.Arie's dad) and Harvey Catchings were traded from the 76ers to the Nets for Eric Money and Al Skinner. Apparently, all but Skinner played for both teams in the game.