PDA

View Full Version : Hey KW, this offense is still terrible

gosox41
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Just wanted to point out the obvious--that if the Sox don't start scoring runs we aren't going to win.

So Kenny, feel free to address it. Don't care if you make a trade or call up someone from the minors, but I guarantee this team isn't winning if it doesn't score runs.

But sitting here waiting for Dunn, Rios & even Beckham to hit while the pitching has been excellent is a dangerous game and a mistake. So Kenny, De Aza was a good start because it gives Rios less at bats, but feel free to do more.

Because odds are standing pat at the trade deadline and living on the hope and dream of these guys hitting isn't going to get the team to the playoffs.

Bob

Ron Karkovice
07-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Sup bob. I agree.

sullythered
07-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I agree that the offense is bad, but we did face one of the best pitchers in baseball today.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I agree that the offense is bad, but we did face one of the best pitchers in baseball today.

Bruce Chen was traded to the Bosox?

gosox41
07-30-2011, 10:47 PM

I don't think we need to be facing one of the best pitchers in baseball to make him look good. Ask Chen, the guy on the Cubs (I forget the name, but the journeyman guy..Lopez???) and any other numerous bad pitchers who we can't hit.

Bob

Lip Man 1
07-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Don't forget Paulino and Swarzak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 games now they have scored three runs or less. Guess they were facing a top pitcher in every one of those games! LOL

:D:

Lip

LongLiveFisk
07-31-2011, 12:23 AM
Don't forget Paulino and Swarzak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

53 games now they have scored three runs or less. Guess they were facing a top pitcher in every one of those games! LOL

:D:

Lip

That's pretty pathetic. You really have to shudder to think how bad their record would be right now without the tremendous pitching they've gotten this season overall.

gosox41
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
That's pretty pathetic. You really have to shudder to think how bad their record would be right now without the tremendous pitching they've gotten this season overall.

Or how good it would be if Dunn an and Rios hit remotely close to their career aveages.

People like to talk about how this team is average at best. I disagree. I think the talent on this team can win 90-95 games...assuming everyone performs at their career norms.

Bob

tstrike2000
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
I guess a September surge is always possible or maybe a late call-up of Viciedo could possibly help some, but nothing else is really going to change the rest of this season.

Ron Karkovice
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Or how good it would be if Dunn an and Rios hit remotely close to their career aveages.

People like to talk about how this team is average at best. I disagree. I think the talent on this team can win 90-95 games...assuming everyone performs at their career norms.

Bob

Or even closer to less than average. They are both way too far away from their averages..

Gavin
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I gotta say, Dunn is quietly playing slightly better than flat-out-awful lately.

ChicagoG19
07-31-2011, 01:53 PM
I gotta say, Dunn is quietly playing slightly better than flat-out-awful lately.

I actually agree we with this. He is getting on base every once in a while and making contact.

captain54
07-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Bob

career average is just that career "average".... you were good one year and you sucked the next year...or you sucked two years in a row and were pretty good the next two.. we've had a steady diet of these kind of players on the Sox for a while now.. because of the bad farm system, KW picks them up, keeps his fingers crossed, then when they don't perform they get dumped.. only this time he's backed into a corner because he's got two contracts where he gambled and came up snake eyes.

screw "average'.. the Sox are what they are..."average'

Soxfest
07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
3 runs again today shocker. Sox are great at leaving guys in scoring position LOB!

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
3 runs again today shocker. Sox are great at leaving guys in scoring position LOB!

They just have ZERO patience at the plate, I don't know if that reflects on Walker, the players or whoever but it has been the same since 2007, just no attempt at taking pitches or drawing walks.

kaufsox
08-01-2011, 09:24 AM

wait, I thought pitching and defense win championships.

Lip Man 1
08-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Kauf:

Pitching and defense DO win championships however you have to score a touch more than three runs a game in today's baseball because that simply doesn't leave any room for error over the course of 162 games.

In a short playoff series, you can still win with great pitching, good defense and lousy hitting....but over six months?

Very doubtful.

Lip

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
12 LOB on Sunday :angry: The most of any team playing...and all the teams played on Sunday.

KW...trading Jackson was all you got? FAIL!

SI1020
08-01-2011, 12:02 PM
They just have ZERO patience at the plate, I don't know if that reflects on Walker, the players or whoever but it has been the same since 2007, just no attempt at taking pitches or drawing walks. Or just trying to hit the ball to any field.

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the talent on this team can win 90-95 games...assuming everyone performs at their career norms.

Bob

Really...we have so many holes.

We need a 3B who can hit. So far this season, the Sox have 1 HR from the 3B position. Obviously, we need a CF...no need to provide evidence for this statement (worst move KW made was letting Aaron Rowand go). Also need a LF. Pierre has improved, but he is clearly at the end of his career.

Finally, am I the only one who thinks Beckham is NOT the answer at 2B. I see a very poor hitter who is overpowered by very mediocre pitching and an inconsistent fielder who makes great plays then follows that up with very bad plays.

So I think the problems run much deeper that Dunn and Rios not reaching their career average numbers.

soltrain21
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM

We need a 3B who can hit. So far this season, the Sox have 1 HR from the 3B position. Obviously, we need a CF...no need to provide evidence for this statement (worst move KW made was letting Aaron Rowand go). Also need a LF. Pierre has improved, but he is clearly at the end of his career.

Finally, am I the only one who thinks Beckham is NOT the answer at 2B. I see a very poor hitter who is overpowered by very mediocre pitching and an inconsistent fielder who makes great plays then follows that up with very bad plays.

So I think the problems run much deeper that Dunn and Rios not reaching their career average numbers.

Letting Rowand go was his worst move? Holy cripes no.

24thStFan
08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Letting Rowand go was his worst move? Holy cripes no.

We've had problems at CF ever since and Rowand was a hustle player and a great clubhouse guy.

SI1020
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
The Rowand thing has been hashed and rehashed many times. IIRC getting Thome was done to give Konerko some protection in the lineup. At the time the Angels were very high on him and according to some reports Konerko came close to signing with them. BA turned out to be a bust and there has been trouble at the CF position ever since.

gosox41
08-01-2011, 08:46 PM

I'm joining the anti-Beckham club.

From an offensive perspective, if Rios could have hit .275 and been 20/20 guy, Dunn hits is 40HR's and .380 OBP and Beckham would atl east hit .275 with some power, we could more then survive Morel at 3B. The first two guys have absolutely crushed the Sox offense Beckham hasn't shown noticeable signs of improvement that I was expecting offensively.

Bob