PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-30 Saturday Night Massacre, BOS 10, SOX 2 Postgame Indifference Thread

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Not much to say. The Sox stunk up every facet of this game.

Sometimes you've got to tip your cap. Other times, like tonight, you have to give your own team the finger.

Boondock Saint
07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
The 2011 Chicago White Sox- Don't expect anything, and you'll never be disappointed. We think.

Soxfest
33.000 enjoy the crappy fireworks the Sox offense has left the building! Spin the wheel make the deal KW!:angry:

Aesero
Watching Rios not get that ball in quickly and letting a run score from first on a single was the worst part of the game. I hope this brings him more time on the bench.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Is it just me or have the Sox sucked on WGN America this season?????

4th time this year the Sox have had a chance to get back over the .500 mark for the first time since mid-April.

4th time they urinated the chance away.

You get the feeling if they can ever get over the .500 mark they can do some good things, but they simply can't seem to do it!

Wasted another golden opportunity today with Detroit losing.

Same old, same old...

Lip

GoGoCrede
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I almost got tickets for this one. :o:

JB98
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
If KW makes a deal because the Sox lost tonight, he's a fool.

Regardless of what you think of this team, this game shouldn't change your opinion.

If you wanted to stand pat this afternoon, you should still want to stand pat.

If you wanted to blow it up this afternoon, you should still want to blow it up.

It's a mediocre team that is three games out of first. Absolutely zero has changed since about 5:30 today and now.

ChiSoxGal85
07-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Meh. This game felt out of reach after the Red Sox's 4 runs in the 5th inning.

Get 'em tomorrow. And damn it Ozzie - put Rios's ass back on the bench.

RowanDye
07-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Dear Kenneth,

Please fix the offense.

Sincerely,
The Fan Base

Johnny Mostil
07-30-2011, 09:19 PM
If KW makes a deal because the Sox lost tonight, he's a fool.

Regardless of what you think of this team, this game shouldn't change your opinion.

If you wanted to stand pat this afternoon, you should still want to stand pat.

If you wanted to blow it up this afternoon, you should still want to blow it up.

It's a mediocre team that is three games out of first. Absolutely zero has changed since about 5:30 today and now.

Or maybe even since about four weeks ago and today . . .

DirtySox
07-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Lol. Ozzie just said Rios is starting tomorrow. Way to reward him for doggin it.

Boondock Saint
07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Lol. Ozzie just said Rios is starting tomorrow. Way to reward him for doggin it.

It's the Ozzie way!

SI1020
07-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Lol. Ozzie just said Rios is starting tomorrow. Way to reward him for doggin it. Ozzie once again showing support and encouragement for a young player. Rios needs a seat on the bench for the rest of the year. Is Ozzie really that stubborn?

JB98
07-30-2011, 09:27 PM

I'm going to boo the **** out of Rios tomorrow.

I haven't booed Dunn all season. I don't think he deserves it. Rios does.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, we lost to an excellent pitcher and to an excellent team.

Honestly, I'd rather get blown out than lose 3-2 where we left 10 men on base. This game wasn't the usual exercise in frustration. Besides, we play nail-biters every night and were due for a dud.

We'll see soon enough what KW and JR want to do with this team.

Mohoney
07-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Alex Rios has officially cracked mentally. He needs to be benched for his own sanity. That play looked like a person who has completely forgotten that he's playing in a Major League baseball game.

We're getting absolutely nothing from him from here on out.

DickAllen72
07-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Meh. This game felt out of reach after the Red Sox's 4 runs in the 5th inning.

Get 'em tomorrow. And damn it Ozzie - put Rios's ass back on the bench.
Rios should have been pinch hit for after that lazy misplay in CF. He certainly should be benched tomorrow. But what does Ozzie do? He rewards him by announcing he is starting tomorrow. Ozzie should have been fired by now. He is one of the problems with this team.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Shouldn't Ozzie be booed, as well?

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Ozzie has deserved it for most of the past 5 years.

GlassSox
07-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Watching Rios not get that ball in quickly and letting a run score from first on a single was the worst part of the game. I hope this brings him more time on the bench.

Great 1st post. :welcome:

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Ozzie should have been fired by now. He is one of the problems with this team.

Ozzie is the stone cold dead heart of what's wrong with this team.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Ozzie has deserved it for most of the past 5 years.

What other manager has mismanaged this much talent and this much payroll?

I'm not saying Jerry Manuel was a great manager, but imagine if his 2001-2003 clubs had this pitching staff. Most of those seasons the Sox had three decent healthy starting pitchers and an average bullpen.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm not saying Jerry Manuel was a great manager, but imagine if his 2001-2003 clubs had this pitching staff. Most of those seasons the Sox had three decent healthy starting pitchers and an average bullpen.

This season is a new low for Ozzie -- Bevington bad.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:43 PM

If Jerry Manuel was General Disarray, Ozzie is Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
If Jerry Manuel was General Disarray, Ozzie is Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

And Rios is Flash.

OmahaSoxFan
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Ozzie rolled out another one of his "carnival acts" tonight again... Wonder if he had one good reason to play Alex Rios tonight, and not an upstart in De Aza??? I don't think KW needs to blow this team up, he just needs a new capable manager for this ball club.

But above all else, going into this game, sadly I was expecting nothing more than a tough 2-1, or 1-0 loss... so I am a little peeved the boys let themselves get blown out - but most of that was on "BP session" Bruney... Nothing really to see here, Sox still out 3 games and the Sox just need to capture the rubber match tomorrow!

Lip Man 1
07-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Boston is starting a lefty tomorrow I believe, so Rios plays. It's Ozzie and his adoration to "match-up's" :rolleyes:

53rd time the Sox have scored three runs or less in a game (out of 105 chances - basically 50%)

Humber has now returned to Earth.

Lip

JB98
07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Ozzie rolled out another one of his "carnival acts" tonight again... Wonder if he had one good reason to play Alex Rios tonight, and not an upstart in De Aza??? I don't think KW needs to blow this team up, he just needs a new capable manager for this ball club.

But above all else, going into this game, sadly I was expecting nothing more than a tough 2-1, or 1-0 loss... so I am a little peeved the boys let themselves get blown out - but most of that was on "BP session" Bruney... Nothing really to see here, Sox still out 3 games and the Sox just need to capture the rubber match tomorrow!

Don't you get it? What's really important here is lefty/righty matchups. Hustle, focus and accountability are not priorities.

billyvsox
07-30-2011, 09:48 PM
I hope Kenny makes a flurry of moves tonight or tomorrow AM. Juat to shake up the team. I dont care if it even makes them better for this year or next year. I just want some new players to root for. Aside from a few players, my dislike of this team is as large as it has even been. I long for the days where you see players smiling and having fun out there. I see it all around the league but not with the sox. Even our walk off celebrations seem to be faked (although they rarely happen anyway these days).

billyvsox
07-30-2011, 09:49 PM
ozzie rolled out another one of his "carnival acts" tonight again... Wonder if he had one good reason to play alex rios tonight, and not an upstart in de aza??? I don't think kw needs to blow this team up, he just needs a new capable manager for this ball club.

But above all else, going into this game, sadly i was expecting nothing more than a tough 2-1, or 1-0 loss... So i am a little peeved the boys let themselves get blown out - but most of that was on "bp session" bruney... Nothing really to see here, sox still out 3 games and the sox just need to capture the rubber match tomorrow!

+1

GlassSox
07-30-2011, 09:49 PM
And Rios is Flash.

:roflmao::rolling:

Edit: Frater you have really screwed me up now, every time I see Rios I will be seeing Flash and laughing. I will not be able to boo while picturing Flash.

DickAllen72
07-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Boston is starting a lefty tomorrow I believe, so Rios plays. It's Ozzie and his adoration to "match-up's" :rolleyes:

Then someone should let Ozzie know that Lillibridge bats right handed and can play some CF too.

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2011, 09:51 PM
This season is a new low for Ozzie -- Bevington bad.

Hahahaha.....ahh good old Terry Bevington, the quintessential meathead.

New TV show idea: Breaking Bevington Bad. The plot line would be: a young, bright manager takes over a terrible team full of potential and slowly they start to believe in themselves, start winning and liking baseball and life again.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Boston is starting a lefty tomorrow I believe, so Rios plays.

And Dunn, too.

BainesHOF
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
As I posted in the lineup thread for tonight's game, Rios had no business being back in the lineup so soon. Beyond his lack of production, he's been dogging it, sometimes blatantly, for the past month. Yet, there he was back in center tonight. Anyone who has watched Rios shouldn't be surprised by what happened tonight.

That said, Rios deserved to be embarrassed by being taken out of the game in the middle of the inning. At the very least, he should have been pinch hit for in the bottom of the inning.

Dunn batting cleanup against Lester tonight was comically bad. Dunn entered the game 2 for 68 against lefties. It was bad enough that Dunn was in the lineup, but batting cleanup on top it against one of the best lefties in baseball?!

Pierzynski capped off the night perfectly, completely dogging it to first base on his ground out. What a bush league display.

Guillen is the biggest problem with the team. He's an incredibly stupid and stubborn and gutless manager. Shame on Reinsdorf and Williams for allowing Guillen to turn the team into such a daily embarrassment.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
If they don't blow up this team...it will be remembered as the year of the White Flag non-Trade.

DirtySox
07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
If they don't blow up this team...it will be remembered as the year of the White Flag non-Trade.

All signs indicate that no further moves will be made. Kenny is asking the moon for both Thornton and Quentin. Expect them to stand pat.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 10:12 PM
All signs indicate that no further moves will be made. Kenny is asking the moon for both Thornton and Quentin. Expect them to stand pat.

Oh, I expect them to. And that is why I no longer spend a nickel on this team.

Foulke You
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Then someone should let Ozzie know that Lillibridge bats right handed and can play some CF too.
I'm saying the same thing. Lillibridge should have been in CF tonite for De Aza and not Rios. It's especially baffling when you consider that Lillibridge had one of his best series against Boston in Fenway Park against this same pitching staff yet he sits the bench. Makes no sense.

It was a tough game tonight in all facets but it was probably unrealistic to think the Sox were going to go 6W-0L against Boston. It's a shame they laid such a big egg in front of a big Saturday night crowd. Everything will be back on track if we take the series tomorrow.

amsteel
07-30-2011, 10:14 PM
The Sox faced a top 10/15 pitcher and lost big because a AAAA reliever was used to eat a couple innings. Get over it.

Anyone that thought we were gonna go 6-0 this year against Boston is insane.

Go out tomorrow and win the series and keep chipping away at DET & CLE

A. Cavatica
07-30-2011, 10:17 PM
The Sox faced a top 10/15 pitcher and lost big because a AAAA reliever was used to eat a couple innings. Get over it.

They lost because they cannot hit.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Anyone who predicted 4-12 v. KC and MIN would have been mocked for being a dark cloud.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone who predicted 4-12 v. KC and MIN would have been mocked for being a dark cloud.

Anyone who predicted a .160 BA from Dunn and .205 from Rios, in August, would have been banned.

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
:roflmao::rolling:

Edit: Frater you have really screwed me up now, every time I see Rios I will be seeing Flash and laughing. I will not be able to boo while picturing Flash.

Imagine Ozzie puttering around carrying his precious lazy dog, cursing those Duke Boys, and crashing his car that Jerry "Boss Hogg" Reinsdorf keeps fixing.

Cooper is Cooter, because he's actually competent at fixing things.

Walker is Cletus.

KMcMahon817
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM

I have never booed a Sox player prior to tonight. But after Rios acted like nothing was on the line and single-handedly ended the game in the field tonight, I booed the hell out of him. He's a disgrace.

VMSNS
07-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Was at the game tonight....even in my drunken stupor, I'll try and voice my thoughts on tonight's baseball extravaganza.

I must say, this is the most frustrated I've ever felt while at a game. Ozzie is a complete and total clown. His decisions are beginning make no sense whatsoever. I mean...PK hit a HR in his last at-bat and is the best hitter and the team, and Ozzie PICNH HITS HIM in the 9th?! And yet, Dunn gets to stay in the game after him? What the **** is going on here? His pitching decisions today also made him look clueless. And continuing to stick with Rios after his dog-ass play. Embarrassing. Ozzie has gone mental and has completely lost this team, and it's incredibly obvious to everyone watching. His managing is so pitiful that I'm quite frankly shocked that KW or Jerry hasn't done something about this clown and his circus act.

I've only booed a White Sox player twice in my life. The first was opening day 2009 when DeWayne Wise put down a bunt and popped up to the catcher for an out. The second was tonight on Rios' play. Shameful.

What a pitiful, embarrassing team to watch. And on top of all that, the Red Sox fans were out in full force tonight, and they were insufferable. Yuck.

guillensdisciple
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Rios playing tomorrow.

GlassSox
07-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Imagine Ozzie puttering around carrying his precious lazy dog, cursing those Duke Boys, and crashing his car that Jerry "Boss Hogg" Reinsdorf keeps fixing.

Cooper is Cooter, because he's actually competent at fixing things.

Walker is Cletus.

You are really making it difficult now especially since I will have to get Ozzie out of the Bozo outfit.

captain54
07-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Where's a White Flag II when you need one?

DrCrawdad
07-30-2011, 11:16 PM

I both hated and loved that play. First on why I loved it. That was smart base running by the Other Sox. They know Rios. They know with him running to his left, and with his lazy (butt) ways there was a very good chance that the runner would score. Smart baseball on their part. I hate though seeing it happen to my favorite team.

Sit Rios. Sit Rios. Sit Rios.

Indeed you should.

Brian26
07-30-2011, 11:21 PM

That's right, Kenny. Ask for the moon on TCQ and Thornton since you got ripped off and gave Edwin away for nothing.

guillensdisciple
07-30-2011, 11:38 PM
That's right, Kenny. Ask for the moon on TCQ and Thornton since you got ripped off and gave Edwin away for nothing.

Well, I know our farm system is horrible, but the guy we got is the fourth best prospect in our farm system now so I guess that's cool. Also, Frasor is not that bad but Bullpen was definitely not our weakness.

ChiSoxGirl
07-30-2011, 11:42 PM

Ozzie once again showing support and encouragement for a young player. Rios needs a seat on the bench for the rest of the year. Is Ozzie really that stubborn?

I don't know how two days out of the lineup is punishment enough for season-long suckage, but apparently it is because Rios was out there again tonight and up to the same old ****. His ass should be permanently affixed to the bench, high contract or not. Has he made one meaningful contribution to this team at all this year? DeAza deserves more playing time if for no other reason than he's not Rios!

Boondock Saint
07-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Well, I know our farm system is horrible, but the guy we got is the fourth best prospect in our farm system now so I guess that's cool. Also, Frasor is not that bad but Bullpen was definitely not our weakness.

Our farm system sucks. Being #4 in our farm system doesn't mean much.

russ99
07-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Was at the game tonight....even in my drunken stupor, I'll try and voice my thoughts on tonight's baseball extravaganza.

I must say, this is the most frustrated I've ever felt while at a game. Ozzie is a complete and total clown. His decisions are beginning make no sense whatsoever. I mean...PK hit a HR in his last at-bat and is the best hitter and the team, and Ozzie PICNH HITS HIM in the 9th?! And yet, Dunn gets to stay in the game after him? What the **** is going on here? His pitching decisions today also made him look clueless. And continuing to stick with Rios after his dog-ass play. Embarrassing. Ozzie has gone mental and has completely lost this team, and it's incredibly obvious to everyone watching. His managing is so pitiful that I'm quite frankly shocked that KW or Jerry hasn't done something about this clown and his circus act.

I've only booed a White Sox player twice in my life. The first was opening day 2009 when DeWayne Wise put down a bunt and popped up to the catcher for an out. The second was tonight on Rios' play. Shameful.

What a pitiful, embarrassing team to watch. And on top of all that, the Red Sox fans were out in full force tonight, and they were insufferable. Yuck.

Yeah, Ozzie's an idiot for not keeping Paul in to maybe hit a one-run homer when we're down 6 runs... :scratch:

Besides, the pitching decisions were as usual. Let the starter try and work out of it. When we were down 4, there's no need to tire out another bullpen arm.

As for Rios, I didn't see any better effort from him, but our infielders shady defense was a lot worse than anything Rios did.

This team has a disturbing trend lately of not scoring runs unless it's by HR. If it keeps up, we'll be out of the race within 2-3 weeks.

The Red Sox fans tonight were a pain, but if all that extra cash keeps Jerry from trading everyone and going the Royals/Pirates route, I can live with those annoying idiots.

Boondock Saint
07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, Ozzie's an idiot for not keeping Paul in to maybe hit a one-run homer when we're down 6 runs...

Besides, the pitching decisions were as usual. Let the starter try and work out of it. When we were down 4, there's no need to tire out another bullpen arm.

As for Rios, I didn't see any better effort from him, but our infielders shady defense was a lot worse than anything Rios did.

This team has a disturbing trend lately of not scoring runs unless it's by HR. If it keeps up, we'll be out of the race within 2-3 weeks.

I'm calling bull**** on that one. Rios was LAZY out there. At least our infielders were trying. Morel LEAPT for that ball. Paulie made a great diving stop late. Alexei knocked down a ball on the 1st base side of 2nd before making a bad throw to Beckham. The only play you can call out our infield defense for is Alexei playing matador on AJ's throwout attempt on Crawford.

russ99
07-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm calling bull**** on that one. Rios was LAZY out there. At least our infielders were trying. Morel LEAPT for that ball. Paulie made a great diving stop late. Alexei knocked down a ball on the 1st base side of 2nd before making a bad throw to Beckham. The only play you can call out our infield defense for is Alexei playing matador on AJ's throwout attempt on Crawford.

What about the two dropped balls on the relay? Especially on their 5th run where the guy was dead at the plate...

I was in the right field corner and Rios ranged well on his catches, and only that ball that got past him would it be construed as lazy. The guy has a loping gait. That's how he runs. It looks worse than it is.

Boondock Saint
07-30-2011, 11:54 PM
What about the two dropped balls on the relay?

Dropping a ball is a mistake. La-dee-da-ing to a ball, then making a half-assed throw after the fact is BULL****.

captain54
07-31-2011, 12:12 AM
I was in the right field corner and Rios ranged well on his catches, and only that ball that got past him would it be construed as lazy. The guy has a loping gait. That's how he runs. It looks worse than it is.

From the TV view it looked like he held on to the ball and wasn't in a big hurry to fire it back in.

captain54
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM

Good ole WalkerBall... like an old friend, kind of comforting to have ya back, buddy...

Lip Man 1
07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Ozzie was quoted tonight as saying the issue with the Rios play was the poor relay throw. Never mentioned a word to the newspaper about Rios' dogging it in the first place.

Lip

WhiteSoxOnly
07-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Dropping a ball is a mistake. La-dee-da-ing to a ball, then making a half-assed throw after the fact is BULL****.

I missed the last 3 innings tonight,so i didn't see the Rios play until
just now.To call this guy a dog is an insult to canines everywhere.
If there was ever a time to release a piece of **** like him,it's now.
Yeah i know,not my money,and to pay a slob to sit at home and
collect paychecks isn't normally what i would suggest but this goof
doesn't help us at all by playing anyways.Dump him and let him try
and save the rest of his career with somebody else.Ozzie is an ass
as well for continuing to put him in the lineup.Either he is trying to
get fired for playing him,or he's trying to force Kenny's hand by making
him,and us,watch this **** happen game after game.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I missed the last 3 innings tonight,so i didn't see the Rios play until
just now.To call this guy a dog is an insult to canines everywhere.
If there was ever a time to release a piece of **** like him,it's now.
Yeah i know,not my money,and to pay a slob to sit at home and
collect paychecks isn't normally what i would suggest but this goof
doesn't help us at all by playing anyways.Dump him and let him try
and save the rest of his career with somebody else.Ozzie is an ass
as well for continuing to put him in the lineup.Either he is trying to
get fired for playing him,or he's trying to force Kenny's hand by making
him,and us,watch this **** happen game after game.Man, your posts are hard to read. Drop the forced line breaks and put a space after punctuation.

Worse than him sitting home getting paid is having him playing for somebody else while the Sox pay him. For major-league minimum, someone would take a chance and let the Sox pay the difference.

Aesero
07-31-2011, 12:43 AM
What I will never understand is how athletes like Rios can get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game and then not play hard. This goes beyond just Rios. Every time I see someone not running out a play or just plain jogging to pick up a ball I cringe.

Teahan did one thing right every game. When he hit his routine grounder to the second baseman he put his head down and ran hard. Players who do not do this shouldn't be on the field. I'd much rather have a no name rookie playing that acts like they want to be there.

The offense is miserable and has been underperforming all season. The last thing we need is to see this poor effort thrown on top of that.

Tragg
07-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Ozzie was quoted tonight as saying the issue with the Rios play was the poor relay throw. Never mentioned a word to the newspaper about Rios' dogging it in the first place.

Lip

After he had it, he took 2 slow steps to right and then turned to throw. That was a ridiculously lazy effort. And then it looks like he spent some time jawing with the fans in right center.
Where is the accountability?

WhiteSoxOnly
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Man, your posts are hard to read. Drop the forced line breaks and put a space after punctuation.

Worse than him sitting home getting paid is having him playing for somebody else while the Sox pay him. For major-league minimum, someone would take a chance and let the Sox pay the difference.

Then let someone take a chance. Pay the difference. As long as he's wearing another uniform he can be a lazy stiff somewhere else.

JB98
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Then let someone take a chance. Pay the difference. As long as he's wearing another uniform he can be a lazy stiff somewhere else.

Before you take that extreme measure, you give him an extended benching to try to get through to him. Two games isn't long enough.

Lillibridge should have been in CF tonight if Ozzie wanted an extra RH bat against Lester.

kittle42
07-31-2011, 01:13 AM

Oh, so you are the audience the Sox are still getting through to...

kittle42
07-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, Ozzie's an idiot for not keeping Paul in to maybe hit a one-run homer when we're down 6 runs... :scratch:

Ozzie Guillen undoubtedly has talents. Managing baseball teams is not one of them.

WhiteSox5187
07-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Before you take that extreme measure, you give him an extended benching to try to get through to him. Two games isn't long enough.

Lillibridge should have been in CF tonight if Ozzie wanted an extra RH bat against Lester.

Rios was hitting .288 against left handed starting pitchers so I didn't mind giving him a start tonight. Given his seemingly lackadaisical effort tonight (I didn't see the game so I can't speak to it one way or another) I would hope he doesn't see anymore playing time for a long time. I suspect he will get a start tomorrow though.

rpmorri
07-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Frankly, as soon as I saw Rios in the lineup, I knew it was a loss. Now this gem from Williams:

‘‘Absolutely there’s always a chance [of a deal],’’ Williams said, ‘‘but I would say that chance is very, very slim. I don’t see anything on the horizon, and everything that potentially can be done comes at a sacrifice of the guys I expect we would need to try to win this division, so it’s very unlikely.’’

Until Guillen and Williams both are fired, this team won't contend. Plain and simple.

Mohoney
07-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Honestly, I don't think that it's laziness with Rios. I think it's shell-shock. He lacks the basic awareness that any other player on the Major League stage has. It's like he has completely forgotten how to play baseball.

Even a lazy player knows how to go through the motions. Rios has far more complicated problems than a lack of hustle (which I honestly don't see). I see a complete lack of baseball instinct, not a lack of hustle.

After having undoubtedly the worst season of his career in 2009, he put up a really nice rebound season in 2010. Then, this struck. This season makes 2009 look like a walk in the park.

His head is light years away from where it should be.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Last year we were talking about Rios as one of the few 5 tool players in Sox history. What a bum he has turned out to be, Toronto got lucky and dumped him on us. I never want to see this guy out in CF again, platoon the Bridge and De Aza the rest of the way.
Lets come back today and win this series. This is a tough homestand and if we go 6-4 I will be happy. Looking at the schedule the rest of the way the only real tough team we have left is Texas and that series is at home in mid-August.

SI1020
07-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't understand the idea that just because the Sox sunk the equivalent of the GDP of a developing country in Rios and Dunn that they have to play them until their respective contracts run out. The Sox made terrible mistakes, now admit it, and get on with the hard work of making up for it. They are both the deadest of weights, and no I don't think Rios forgot how to hustle. He just doesn't. That play last night should be the last straw for him. He should never play another inning in a Sox uniform.

VenturaFan23
07-31-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't know how two days out of the lineup is punishment enough for season-long suckage, but apparently it is because Rios was out there again tonight and up to the same old ****. His ass should be permanently affixed to the bench, high contract or not. Has he made one meaningful contribution to this team at all this year? DeAza deserves more playing time if for no other reason than he's not Rios!

This is exactly what Kenny was referring to when they "benched" Rios a few days ago. Apparently our great manager seemed to think that only 2 games was enough as usual. His ass should've been on the bench at the very least until after the Red Sox series!

BainesHOF
07-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Lip

Guillen's comment about the throw was a transparent attempt to divert attention from the real issue of dogging it. Unfortunately, such nonsense from Guillen usually works with the gutless baseball reporters in this town.

WisSoxFan
07-31-2011, 06:22 PM
What I will never understand is how athletes like Rios can get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game and then not play hard. This goes beyond just Rios. Every time I see someone not running out a play or just plain jogging to pick up a ball I cringe.

Teahan did one thing right every game. When he hit his routine grounder to the second baseman he put his head down and ran hard. Players who do not do this shouldn't be on the field. I'd much rather have a no name rookie playing that acts like they want to be there.

The offense is miserable and has been underperforming all season. The last thing we need is to see this poor effort thrown on top of that.

Please don't read this as a defense of Rios, but not every professional athlete loves their job. For some it's a pain to have to go to work everyday. They are simply collecting a paycheck albeit a rather large paycheck. I'm guessing not everyone here loves thier job and that's the impression I get of Rios. He is a person who happens to have the talent to play baseball, but he doens't like playing baseball.

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Please don't read this as a defense of Rios, but not every professional athlete loves their job. For some it's a pain to have to go to work everyday. They are simply collecting a paycheck albeit a rather large paycheck. I'm guessing not everyone here loves thier job and that's the impression I get of Rios. He is a person who happens to have the talent to play baseball, but he doens't like playing baseball.
Well, considering he gets almost half the year off, if that's the case, it's time for him to just suck it up and hit and catch the ****ing baseball.

WisSoxFan
07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't disagree. He's a been a piece of garbage for for the Sox this year. My point is more to the idea that people don't understand how players can't play hard when playing a kids game and making millions. Sometimes it's for the same reason the local car salesman or local scribe suck at their jobs - they don't like doing them.